Anime Central Forums: The Future of Anime Cons and Anime/Manga in general - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Future of Anime Cons and Anime/Manga in general

#1 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I realize there's been a lot of postings about how ACEN has changed, but, accepting that all things Anime/Manga is an organic creature, where will conventions and the industry be 10 years from now?

I'm just looking for speculation...I've got a feeling myself that conventions will shrink a bit as the years go by. A few distrubuters have left the playing field, Tokyopop is defunct, most of the magazines are online or no longer publishing over here, even Funimation has outsourced their non-profit program to another company to downsize their employees. Hoping that the party isn't over yet here in the States...
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#2 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I don't think anime cons in general will change too much. The main complaint I see is that anime cons are starting to focus more on gaming. And really, what did anyone expect? Gaming and anime pretty much go hand in hand since most people with one of those hobbies enjoys the other as well.

As for manga/anime in general...that worries me. We lost a lot of good companies this year. Tokyopop, Borders (not specifically manga/anime, but I bought the majority of my stuff from them and I'm sure I'm not alone in that), etc. A lot of media is becoming available only in online/e-reader formats. Personally, I prefer owning the physical book and am 110% against e-readers. I have a feeling it's going to get harder to find paper copies of manga...and that thought is extremely depressing to me.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 23 March 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

A lot of media is becoming available only in online/e-reader formats. Personally, I prefer owning the physical book and am 110% against e-readers. I have a feeling it's going to get harder to find paper copies of manga...and that thought is extremely depressing to me.

I too am a fan of tangible books over e-readers, but the latter seems to be the sweeping trend in print media. My fiancee's co-worker said it best: "Sure, I love having the actual book, too. But when you want a new read, there's nothing more convenient than an e-reader, because you don't have to go anywhere to get your fix. Plus, if and when you move out of wherever you're living now, you'll be happy to have that e-reader instead of 50-100 actual books." I'm not sure if I agree with him, but he made some semi-compelling points.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#4 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 23 March 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

I too am a fan of tangible books over e-readers, but the latter seems to be the sweeping trend in print media. My fiancee's co-worker said it best: "Sure, I love having the actual book, too. But when you want a new read, there's nothing more convenient than an e-reader, because you don't have to go anywhere to get your fix. Plus, if and when you move out of wherever you're living now, you'll be happy to have that e-reader instead of 50-100 actual books." I'm not sure if I agree with him, but he made some semi-compelling points.

I can see the argument for why e-readers are "better", but nothing beats the feeling of cracking open a new book and getting that new book smell and feel (maybe I'm slightly crazy). And when your friends come over what looks cooler? An e-reader with a 1000 books, or a bookshelf with 100? I know my friends started to get impressed when I had 50 manga. By 100 they nicknamed me "the library", and now I have over 300 (and that's just manga not other books/media). But most people prefer reading things online/on e-readers nowadays :/ I see why people like e-readers, but I doubt I'll get one unless we do get to that point where there's no other option.

Something else for books > e-readers that I just thought of. A book's batteries don't die ;P
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%

#5 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

anime cons aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Despite being terribly oversaturated, we still continue to see new ones pop up and do well. Anime conventions have turned more from anime into fandom conventions which have probably kept their growth strong. Going to an anime convention now will easily find you a panel on Harry Potter, video games, Homestuck, and other distinctly non anime things. This change has probably kept their growth strong. Also, anything that is not big enough to have a fandom on its own and run its own con seems to be absorbed into anime cons. Anime fandom is leading the charge for all nerd fandoms right now.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#6 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 23 March 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I can see the argument for why e-readers are "better", but nothing beats the feeling of cracking open a new book and getting that new book smell and feel (maybe I'm slightly crazy). And when your friends come over what looks cooler? An e-reader with a 1000 books, or a bookshelf with 100? I know my friends started to get impressed when I had 50 manga. By 100 they nicknamed me "the library", and now I have over 300 (and that's just manga not other books/media). But most people prefer reading things online/on e-readers nowadays :/ I see why people like e-readers, but I doubt I'll get one unless we do get to that point where there's no other option.

Something else for books > e-readers that I just thought of. A book's batteries don't die ;P

You're preaching to the choir, here. I agree on all points.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#7 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

I absolutely adore books and I had about 1,000 before I started selling them. I was moving out to an apt and I just couldn't believe how much of a pain it was to haul those babies in. I still have my favorites which I won't sell, but I have to say that the others I wouldn't mind on an e-reader, but I would rather go to a bookstore or library and read them there or check them out and read them at home.

About the anime cons, I don't think they are going to diminish, but I do think they might plateau for a while.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#8 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

[/quote]

THIS...I'm all about getting my hands on the physical copy. That way, my son, who's 3 at the moment, will have something to read when he gets older. Handing Manga down generation by generation. He already loves all the Studio Ghibli movies. When I think about the decline of the Anime/Manga American market, it's a slice of art that future generations will lose out on.

#9 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 23 March 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

anime cons aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Despite being terribly oversaturated, we still continue to see new ones pop up and do well. Anime conventions have turned more from anime into fandom conventions which have probably kept their growth strong. Going to an anime convention now will easily find you a panel on Harry Potter, video games, Homestuck, and other distinctly non anime things. This change has probably kept their growth strong. Also, anything that is not big enough to have a fandom on its own and run its own con seems to be absorbed into anime cons. Anime fandom is leading the charge for all nerd fandoms right now.

I like this idea-that cons really aren't about just one or two subgenres, but are about FANDOME in general. I can dig it :highfive:

#10 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think a lot of anime cons will start turning into general entertainment cons. People are into so many different kinds of fandoms like games, anime, comics, fashion, etc. that I think the focus on anime won't be there as much. For example, a staff member here said they are trying to please everyone by being more diverse, so if that's the case, the focus is going to be toward diversifying the convention rather than focus on the core of the convention, which is anime/manga.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#11 User is offline   kotomichi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61591

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

As a publishing professional, we've seen a dramatic shift from paper to electronic works and as a writer/editor, I am very happy about this. I mean, I'm not sure if you're aware of how much work goes into putting together a paperback book, but there's a hell of a lot of work involved. And when you factor in the amount of work with the amount of money everyone takes out of a book, the monetary amount is paltry. With the advent of ebooks, writers are making more on royalties and less paper is being consumed, both pluses in my book.

Also, I noticed someone saying something about how they wanted to show off having a hundred manga books. :? IMHO, that's not really something to be proud about. I like manga and all, but if you just want to brag about how much money you spent on comics, I dunno...;; I guess whatever makes you happy...;;;
ACen 2013
Hunny Mitsukuni (Ouran), Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach), Conan Edogawa (Case Closed!), Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji), Haku Ha (Naruto), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

2013 Cons: Anime Milwaukee, C2E2, Anime Central, Anime Midwest, Wizard's World, Kollision Con

#12 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostDefyplums, on 23 March 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

I like this idea-that cons really aren't about just one or two subgenres, but are about FANDOME in general. I can dig it :highfive:

Yes, but I'm the guy who helps run the last anime centric convention, lol. Btw, see sig, shameless plug.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#13 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

There's been plenty of negativity about anime/manga over the last few years. And not just from trolls and cynics. I'm sure that other people can provide serious data and insights. I'm not a scholar, but I'm quite worried. Consider the following:

* Just a few years ago, there seemed to be a decent number of newbie-friendly shows. How many movies and series from the last 3-4 years would you recommend to a new fan? I can name a few, but...

* The era of "3 to 4 episodes per disk, with dub and sub" is all but over. Currently, companies are selling much more half-season and full-season sets. They sell a few shows (often ones which don't emphasize action, toys, or boobs) in sub-only format. There are legit downloads on XBLA, PSN, iTunes, and more. Are these methods likely to stay viable and profitable for more than a few years?

* There are quite a few legit streaming services which have gained respect among fans. JManga seems to be getting somewhere, and a few companies are selling their manga for tablets and e-readers. But how many of these new methods are profitable?

* The series that make squillions in Japan aren't always popular elsewhere. One example: within the last few years, K-on! went from an obscure 4-panel series into a huge merchandising empire. It has an English speaking fanbase, but it's relatively small. Another example: several companies have licensed the various Lupin III series and movies. While this series is considered a classic in Japan, its English speaking fanbase is not all that large.

* As for the Japanese video game industry, it's not looking much better. Keiji Inafune offered a lot of criticism in a speech at GDC 2012, and he's not the only one. A number of western games are selling amazing numbers, while games of Japanese origin are becoming relatively scarce on game retailer shelves, as well as major download services.

----

Until the late 90s, one major reason for fans to attend conventions was to *watch anime*. I admit that I wasn't a part of fandom until 1998. But I know that fans who are older or more experienced than me had it difficult. They can probably tell you stories about trading 12th generation video tapes, in order to find an episode of Ranma 1/2 which was in color, and which had decent audio.

These days, not everyone is watching the same few shows. There are now people who have specific interest. There's people who like specific categories of manga, doujin fans, artbook fans, light novel fans, visual novel fans, music fans, Touhou fans, fashion fans, and more.

I expect the anime con scene to be slowly blended into other fandoms. Some conventions will continue to be branded as anime cons, while others will be more open to varied fannish interests.

#14 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Postkotomichi, on 23 March 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Also, I noticed someone saying something about how they wanted to show off having a hundred manga books. :? IMHO, that's not really something to be proud about. I like manga and all, but if you just want to brag about how much money you spent on comics, I dunno...;; I guess whatever makes you happy...;;;

I don't think it's a matter of wanting to show off how much money we've spent on manga. It's more of a matter of, at least in my case, having pride in our collections and wanting to show them off to others. You really can't do that with an e-reader; there's no real pride or fun in that. Also, I love being able to share my manga and such with my friends, and that also can't be done (at least easily) with an e-reader.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#15 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

You have to consider that anime cons are all over the world. So while they might be defunk in the USA or less popular, things like Comiket and cons in Japan are still VERY popular and are going to be for a long long time.

So they would probably be the same, but the shows would be more cliche like a lot of movies now a days in the US (remakes of older movies, sequels, etc.)

@Ashori: that's how I feel 100% when I talk about my manga; that and I enjoy re reading old volumes at times.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 23 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#16 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostAshori, on 23 March 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

I don't think it's a matter of wanting to show off how much money we've spent on manga. It's more of a matter of, at least in my case, having pride in our collections and wanting to show them off to others. You really can't do that with an e-reader; there's no real pride or fun in that. Also, I love being able to share my manga and such with my friends, and that also can't be done (at least easily) with an e-reader.

This. Since I was the one saying I wanted to show them off. I love being able to actually see my manga displayed on my shelves rather than just knowing it's stashed inside a mini-computer only good for reading and a few games. And it's soooo much easier to share books when you own the physical copy, and that goes for regular books too, not just manga. (I can't tell you how many people asked to borrow my copy of the Hunger Games once it got bigger) The majority of my manga has been borrowed and read by at least a friend or two of mine, and that's really where all the fun is in collecting them. In my opinion, there's no point in reading manga if you aren't going to find someone else that enjoys it so you can talk about it, and the best way to get someone to enjoy it is to hand them volume 1 and see if they like it or not.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans

#17 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

For me, nothing beats a hardcover book. The cons themselves will continue on, though there may be some slight consolidation in the future. As mentioned before, it's a bit saturated out there. Anime-centric cons are a thing of the past, especially with the shortage of anime shows on TV in America.

#18 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 23 March 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

You have to consider that anime cons are all over the world. So while they might be defunk in the USA or less popular, things like Comiket and cons in Japan are still VERY popular and are going to be for a long long time.

Actually, comiket numbers have plunged slightly. As you can see here. Comiket 81 had 500,000 compared to 80's 540,000 visitors and 79's 520,000.
Even though it's still large there's no denying that it's losing patrons.

edit; adding link because I forgot it

This post has been edited by Gabichox: 24 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#19 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

The "Sub vs Dub" argument BETTER be over. That retarded argument has been around since the 90's and beyond.

As far as conventions these conventions go, the best indicator on the health of these conventions: Attendance. This is where all you have to look.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#20 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 23 March 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

you also have to consider Comiket is by no means what anyone here would consider an anime convention. Besides cosplayers, it usually just dwells with doujin writers. It is a free gathering and will always see higher numbers due to it being a free giant gathering of fans and cosplayers.

Now the whole anime subculture is suffering a deficit as are most industries. We are still climbing out of an economic down turn and people often stop spending cash on boxed sets to feed themselves. Or at least I hope they do. So it makes a lot of sense to me that we are simply in a shallow hole that will either go deeper down or will rise again depending on how the economy is doing.
Companies and methods will come and go. Yes, E-readers and scans are making manga harder to come by but this is extremely similar to what happened to televised anime after we all learned about streaming. And who knows what other technology will come forth but it will impact many industries including anime/manga

Conventions will also come and go. For every Reactor, there will be an Anime World Chicago or Kollison. In fact, we've been seeing cons sprout up out of nearly nowhere these past five years with their own honors and downsides. Who is to say what cons will survive and which ones will go down as a failed experiment?
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users