Silent Hill Question Considering Starting the Series this Year

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hey All.

So I've been a gamer for years and played the first Silent Hill during the PS2 era so when I played it, I considered the game a bit dated for that gen's standards (and likely today's) plus owning multiple systems at once, I decided to just skip out. I played more Resident Evil and other titles. I am thinking of retrieving a copy of 1 either through online/store that sells PS1 games or the PS store. I'm also likely to get the new HD collection. Anyway, I know there was a "re-imagined" Silent Hill 1 called "Shattered Dimensions" on Wii and PSP. I know they altered some things from Shattered Dimensions but heard most of the story is in tact.

So what I want to know from you Silent Hill fans is should I play from the original PS1 title or would Shattered Dimensions be an improved version of the first game? Like I mentioned I did feel the PS1 game was a bit dated but if the Wii version feels too altered from the original, maybe I should just play the PS1 game? Thanks everyone!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

The problem with SD is, the story may be mostly intact...but the gameplay itself isn't. Iirc, you get no weapons, and the only way you can survive encounters with creatures is running. Which, to be fair, is a good idea in some cases in the original line of games, but still.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#3 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I skipped 1 and went to 2. Two is stand alone; two is god.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#4 User is offline   NothingButAsh 

• Guest Handlers Staff
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61656

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Play 1, 2, 3. Don't touch any of the others. Win at life.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

#5 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postkenkendazo, on 22 March 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

I skipped 1 and went to 2. Two is stand alone; two is god.

This. SH2 is IMO the best introduction to the series in many ways:

1. A great stand-alone story; SH1 and 3 are connected directly, but SH2's story-- as well as the behavior of the town-- stands on its own two feet.
2. Decent controls. Though they aren't default (they are in SH3), you can change between "3D type" and "2D type" controls. Ditch those tank controls, they'll only serve to frustrate you and get you killed.
3. SH1's soundtrack was good and all but SH2's was, I think, fantastic. Between the ambient sounds of the town, the tension-inducing fanfares, and some truly heartfelt character theme tracks, SH2's soundtrack improved vastly upon SH1's already genre-defining musical "feel".
4. Visuals that arguably still hold up quite well, even today, if looked back upon with the understanding that this was an early PS2 title that still managed to look amazing by the end of the console's run. (see also: Shadow of Destiny)

And, if you're checking out the new HD collection of SH2 and 3...
5. HOT HOLY FISTFUL OF DAMNS, the new voice-acting rocks, and fixes what is honestly SH2's only glaring blemish. The original voice cast had their moments but the bipolar nature of the overall voice presentation (either too over-the-top for the given dialogue or devoid entirely of emotion) did hurt the game some.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 22 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#6 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hey thanks a lot everyone! I'll look into the HD collection sometime this summer and I might pick up Silent Hill one as well from PS Store. Shattered Dimensions sounds alright and maybe I'll visit it after I play the other games, but the no weapons is
Kind of a turn off. Thanks again! :)
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#7 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

I'm torn on Shattered Memories. (I'm assuming that's what you meant by Shattered Dimensions... an honest mistake, since there was a semi-recent Spider-Man game with that title) I loved the exploration and puzzle-solving but absolutely hated the chase sequences.

#8 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Also, Silent Hill: Homecoming is worth trying out, too.

Yes, I know a lot of hardcore fans hate it because 1) it isn't made by the original team, and 2) it isn't based in Silent Hill proper (at least for a healthy chunk of the game). Plus, the controls get kinda sketchy at times. BUT, it does provide a very good story in itself, a good variety of creatures, and a nice choice of endings as well.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#9 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostSir Viver, on 25 March 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

I'm torn on Shattered Memories. (I'm assuming that's what you meant by Shattered Dimensions... an honest mistake, since there was a semi-recent Spider-Man game with that title) I loved the exploration and puzzle-solving but absolutely hated the chase sequences.

Lmao! Yes that's what I meant! :) My bad. Hmm I'll keep that in mind with Shattered Memories.

Also Valkyrie, I'll keep that in mind with Homecoming. I've heard mixed opinions from others on that one. I'm hearing mixed opinions on Downpour too. One friend said her problem was its too short but she liked it. Ign gave it a low score unfortunately.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#10 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Let us all know what you think of the Silent Hill games after you start playing them. SH2 in particular is fun to discuss, I think, because while the game outlines everything you need to know, there are many subtleties and a lot of stuff that's open to interpretation. Best advice I can give you is don't stand your ground and fight stuff unless you're in a confined area, and if you want a "good" ending, don't spend most of the game with low health. (though the "bad" endings are so much more memorable and thought-provoking, IMO.)

#11 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

That's actually one reason why I prefer the SH games over other thrillers, like Resident Evil. While RE may present the element of survival horror, SH IS survival horror, in the truest sense of the word. Plus, the psychological aspect is what really draws me in. A few of the games you have to play through at least once or twice to get the full idea of what the creatures and their background really represent, but in some cases you can get enough of a hint where you realize "oh jeez, is THAT what that is? The horror, the horror! D:"

#12 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 25 March 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

That's actually one reason why I prefer the SH games over other thrillers, like Resident Evil. While RE may present the element of survival horror, SH IS survival horror, in the truest sense of the word. Plus, the psychological aspect is what really draws me in. A few of the games you have to play through at least once or twice to get the full idea of what the creatures and their background really represent, but in some cases you can get enough of a hint where you realize "oh jeez, is THAT what that is? The horror, the horror! D:"
This.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I totally brofisted the screen just for you. <3

#14 User is offline   Bato2.0 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61834

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Silent Hill is one of my all time favorites.

Silent Hill 1, to me was a defining moment for the ps1. There's a few spots in the first game, that i will never forget. Story, is ok, not very typical to a video game, but its something we have all seen before. Background sounds and music were simply chilling for the time. Puzzles made sense for the most part, and combat was tight.

Silent Hill 2, was ungodly awesome. By more than mile the best of the series. This game effed with your head. Characters were fleshed out, and seemed genuinely disturbed. Maria, to me was once you beat the game, and understand whats going on, is one of the most fleshed out characters in a game. Everything she does, has a reason, and a purpose. Combat and puzzles were much the same as first. Music took on more of a light rock tune, which i liked.

Silent Hill 3, Silent hill 3 hit me kinda funny, to me the big surprise wasn't that big of a deal. Story was decent, but far too often i found myself fighting for ammo. In this game unlike the others, sometimes its best just to run, you will not have enough ammo. I couldn't connect to heather, like i could James or Harry, because both have some serious problems on their hands, a missing kid, and well a dead wife. Heather, just seems like shes along for the ride, with no real purpose and you'll have to play to understand why.

Silent Hill 4, to me was excellent, it a departure from the series in many ways. Worth beating at least once. Mechanics changed, combat changed, you had an inventory box. While i can agree to disagree on what i liked and didnt, regardless of what i thought its a solid game with a slightly strange twist of a story. There are things in 4 that will infuriate and frustrate you, enemies that you cant kill, strange puzzles and the new mechanics are wonky.

If you have questions, ive beaten the first 4 games at least 6 times a piece.. and seen every ending for all 4. I wouldn't bother with anything after 4, although i have played and beaten homecoming once, to me it was just more of the same. Not especially great but worth at least a play through. Every game sort of expands the universe, so i would say, i haven't played anything that really sucked, but have played some that i would only beat once and call it a day.

This post has been edited by Bato2.0: 01 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users