Anime Central Forums: Hotel Incidental charge at check in - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Hotel Incidental charge at check in Need this answered

#1 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Okay I been down this road a bit too much with conventions in the last couple of years so I want to verify this. I know staying at the Hyatt with a different convention last November, at check in the Hyatt tried to put a reserve on the credit card for the room rate AND incidentals (which came out to I believe around $150 for a 3 night stay). Now that was not on the reservation and I was able to have it removed, but I want to know if this is going to happen when I go to check in at the DoubleTree for Acen. I been given the story at check in that "it's a new policy in case you charge anything to the room", but uh excuse me but I thought that was why I had to reserve the room with a credit card in the first place in case I charged anything over the weekend I had something that could be billed.

I'm just trying to save myself a rather nasty argument come Thursday evening. Is this policy with all the hotels? And why has it not been said anywhere except at check in?
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#2 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

I can't say for 100% this year but I stayed at the Doubletree last year and they said that if you were using a Debit card they would put a hold for incidentals(I believe it was $150) but if you were using an actual Credit Card they would not hold any extra. Like I said that was last year so I don't know if their policy is different this year. I'd recommend calling them to be sure.

And this is kind of standard policy for almost every hotel I'd ever stayed at, in the fine print it says they may authorize above the total.
All systems... GO!

#3 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

That actually seems to be pretty typical. Even when I've stayed in hotel rooms that were pre-paid, like last week for a work conference, I've still had to give a credit card for "incidentals". But as long as you avoid the mini bar & don't order room service they just tie up some of the credit line for a few days. It's annoying but it's the way they do business.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#4 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

What's weird was this was not done back in 2010 when I had stayed. It was after Acen 2010 that this annoying little thing started to happen. But glad to know it's everywhere and somehow I had been lucky to avoid it for as long as I had. Thank you.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#5 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

It's 100% common, and not just to that specific hotel.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#6 User is offline   IndyAndy 

• Hotel & Convention Site Relations
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61401

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I believe this is a pretty standard policy for hotels. It's their way of verifying that you have the room on your credit/debit card to pay for the room and other items you might charge to the room during your stay.

I just looked on the DoubleTree's website and when you go to reserve a room, if you select "rate details" next to the room rate, this is one of the items that pops up:

"If you use a debit/credit card to check in, a hold may be placed on your card account for the full anticipated amount to be owed to the hotel, including estimated incidentals, through your date of check-out and such hold may not be released for 72 hours from the date of check-out or longer at the discretion of your card issuer."

Hope that helps answer your question.
Andy Agin
Acen Reg Staff 07-08
Acen Reg ADH of Technology 09
Acen Con Operations ADH 10-11
Acen HCSR Assistant Officer 12

#7 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

This is for all hotels that you come across and has been in effect since 2010 or even before that. I was surprised like yourself, since the people at the desk didn't mention this and I had to personally call the hotel after Acen when I seen the extra charges.

I'm not sure about other hotels but I do know that the Embassy if you pay with cash you don't have to worry about such rates.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#8 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Does anyone know how much the incidentals charge is for the Hyatt?
My friends and I didn't know about this sort of thing when we went to check in last year at the Doubletree until my one friend's card was denied and we were informed of the additional charge/hold. This year, we want to be sure we have everything covered this time with no shock at the front desk.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#9 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostAshori, on 21 March 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

Does anyone know how much the incidentals charge is for the Hyatt?
My friends and I didn't know about this sort of thing when we went to check in last year at the Doubletree until my one friend's card was denied and we were informed of the additional charge/hold. This year, we want to be sure we have everything covered this time with no shock at the front desk.

$50 a day. They will not put a hold on a credit card, but they will put one on a debit card. You will need one or the other, even if you pay with cash.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#10 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 21 March 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

$50 a day. They will not put a hold on a credit card, but they will put one on a debit card. You will need one or the other, even if you pay with cash.

All right. I'll double check with my friend and see if she's using a credit card for the room then (I know she's using a card, but don't know if which one it is).
Thank you! ^^
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#11 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 21 March 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Actually hotels will put a hold on a credit card. I stayed in a hotel out in Naperville when we had that snowstorm in January, and the next day I saw a $20 "pending charge" on my card that I gave them for incidentals, that then never fully posted. It just disappeared after a couple more days.

So if you're close to the limit on the card you're giving them, it could potentially put you over. Just be aware of that. Make sure you have a card with a hundred or so dollars free & just don't use it until the week after con.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#12 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostKnitChick, on 21 March 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Actually hotels will put a hold on a credit card. I stayed in a hotel out in Naperville when we had that snowstorm in January, and the next day I saw a $20 "pending charge" on my card that I gave them for incidentals, that then never fully posted. It just disappeared after a couple more days.

So if you're close to the limit on the card you're giving them, it could potentially put you over. Just be aware of that. Make sure you have a card with a hundred or so dollars free & just don't use it until the week after con.

I know because I just had a discussion about it with them. Thats what they Hyatt (Regency Ohare) said they would do, I wasn't speaking for hotels in general. Sorry if there was any confusion.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#13 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 21 March 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'm not sure about other hotels but I do know that the Embassy if you pay with cash you don't have to worry about such rates.

Are you positive on this? If I can avoid these fees by paying with cash I'd rather do that since I'm staying the embassy and the rates are killing me enough as it is. I don't have a few extra hundreds just hanging around on my account that I'm not using for acen already.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#14 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostGabichox, on 21 March 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Are you positive on this? If I can avoid these fees by paying with cash I'd rather do that since I'm staying the embassy and the rates are killing me enough as it is. I don't have a few extra hundreds just hanging around on my account that I'm not using for acen already.

Every hotel I've stayed at has been the opposite; if you pay in cash then they need an extra deposit. Otherwise they have no way of charging you if something goes wrong. So maybe Embassy is like that but I've never heard of that.
All systems... GO!

#15 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

^ Hmm.. I'll probably give them a call today and ask just to make extra sure then.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users