Anime Central Forums: Lacus Clyne's Barrette construction tips? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Lacus Clyne's Barrette construction tips?

#1 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 19314

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

I've got everything squared away for my costume besides actually making the dress (the cute summery white and ice blue one!) except for the barrette...

http://media.giantbo...cus_2_large.jpg

It's that one.

I've contacted someone via Etsy to make it for me in brass but if that falls through I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to (easily) make that?

I have access to a lot of different stores (craft stores, superstores, clothing stores, malls, I'm in a totally awesome area for access to shopping. I am also not averse to shopping online for materials (if I can get it via amazon that's even better, yay prime memberships).

I would really rather not make it out of cardboard, I want it to be as high quality as possible.

I have some ideas on how to make it not-so-easily but I've got full-time school and two jobs so the less work/more efficient the better!

Just thought I'd ask you awesome people for ideas.

Might also be willing to commission a piece if Etsy lady does not work out but will need to see pictures of other work first. :)

Thanks so much!
I love guinea pigs and cats and Sgt. Frog.

#2 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

High quality will take time and funds. If you're hardpressed, google craft foam armor tutorial...heating up the craft foam then putting a clear acrylic sealant will stiffen it up afterwards. Glue to clips after painting and you'll be good.

#3 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Oh, I'll have to keep a lookout for you and this cosplay :3
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 20 March 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

High quality will take time and funds. If you're hardpressed, google craft foam armor tutorial...heating up the craft foam then putting a clear acrylic sealant will stiffen it up afterwards. Glue to clips after painting and you'll be good.

I second this. Craft foam is amazing. It's cheap and if you work with it, it can look really nice by adding the acrylic sealant.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#5 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Although I am a very poor college student, I told myself if I was gonna cosplay I was gonna do it right goshdarnit!! So funds are not so much an issue. I am thinking this Etsy commission will work out, so yay, otherwise I'll keep in mind craft foam.

Someone also suggested taking tupperware and shaping it and then painting it, but not sure how well that'll turn out.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely keep it in mind. :)

& Alkaren - Please do! :D This'll be my first year going all out with a wig and everything. A few years ago I was Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) but I looked just like her so the costume was super easy. :)

Oh goodness, another reply while I was typing. I'll definitely check out craft foam at my local store the next time I'm out and about! :D

#6 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I just realized... I can ALSO be Princess Bubblegum (with slightly wavy hair)!!!

*mind blown*

Gonna need some craft foam for that crown... thanks so much for the tip (and giving me another cosplay idea!)

#7 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Foam works better, namely because it's not going to melt when you heat it up. Also good place to pick up the backing, Sally's beauty or Micheals crafts.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#8 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Definitely Michaels.. they always have coupons. =D

#9 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Coupons are the best. You can't beat them. :) Especially when it comes to cosplay.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#10 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Darn! Custom barrette making fell through, time to go find some craft foam and metallic paint I guess! *begins scouring internet for coupons*

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users