Anime Central Forums: Con horror stories! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Con horror stories! What was your most WTF, OMG, or EW moment at a con?

#1 User is offline   KawaiiKitsune86 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60952

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I've never had a super terrible con experience, but I always hear about them after the con is over from some of my other friends. I wanna hear your worst stories evar!!!
Boa Hancock - One Piece
Rikku- Final Fantasy
Poison- Final Fight
Panty Anarchy- Transformation 0r Police Girl ( or both??)
"You cosplay?"
"Yes. I buy the wig,I get in the costume and I have a good time. What do you do?"

#2 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

At ACen in 2007 IRT tried to illegally detain one of my roommates because he was smoking near the curb, instead of on it(you know that outside area is always packed). Not one warning before they started yelling and demanded he go with them to con ops. When he refused they called the cops and made up some story about how he was on drugs and was a danger to other people. I got locked out of my hotel room as a result and had to argue with ACen security, Hyatt Security and the police that everything was made up and that they needed to let me back in my room and stop looking for him. 10 years of going to ACen and it's the only major problem I've had with them, and thankfully ACen made some big changes to security the following years and there has been no problems since.
All systems... GO!

#3 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Thread moved~
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

I've never really had a bad con expereince. Except for last year the line for Whose Line is it Anime got mixed up and IRT told us to wait by the sign (this was because there was already a line for the FLOW concert) and then other people tried to claim they were there before us for Whose Line, and then IRT got all confused because we didn't know where the line would go but it got all figured out so everything was okay in the end. And we got to be in the front of the line with the other people who were really cool. But that's the only "con horror" story I've had. Hopefully I won't get anytime soon. O_O
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Haven't had one, but a friend of mine went to a convention (will not be named for the sake of the innocent) and in the eveing while crossing over a balcony area outside he heard a noise, looked up and was promptly um...upchucked upon by three people who had become so drunk that they heaved over the side. He actually wound up throwing his clothing off there, going inside to take a shower then going to the hospital to make sure that he didn't get sick from anything. And that's my only horror story. :thumbup:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60684

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've have a few minor ones, but I'll talk about ones that I haven't talked about on the forums before. At my second acen I think in 2008, Aaron Dismuke was at the convention. I had spent 2 hours asking where the autograph area was, to find out it was in a curtained off area I had passed 5 times that day. So I was so excited I got in line, only to be told by IRT I had to leave the line because the line was capped. <_<

Another time, in 2010 I had "digestive issues" and had to go to the bathroom when I was standing in line for Vic Mignogna. I asked my friends to hold my spot while I went. After spending 30 minutes in the bathroom I came back and resumed my spot in line. It was then a very mean spirited person, apparently upset that I had came back in line, told IRT and tried to get me kicked out of line. Thankfully IRT sided with me realizing having that I could not help said "digestive issues" and let me stay in the line.

#7 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

View Postmindue, on 13 March 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

I've have a few minor ones, but I'll talk about ones that I haven't talked about on the forums before. At my second acen I think in 2008, Aaron Dismuke was at the convention. I had spent 2 hours asking where the autograph area was, to find out it was in a curtained off area I had passed 5 times that day. So I was so excited I got in line, only to be told by IRT I had to leave the line because the line was capped. <_<

Another time, in 2010 I had "digestive issues" and had to go to the bathroom when I was standing in line for Vic Mignogna. I asked my friends to hold my spot while I went. After spending 30 minutes in the bathroom I came back and resumed my spot in line. It was then a very mean spirited person, apparently upset that I had came back in line, told IRT and tried to get me kicked out of line. Thankfully IRT sided with me realizing having that I could not help said "digestive issues" and let me stay in the line.

ADA/Special Needs has a pass for situations like that with your tummy troubles there (woo alliteration). They're usually/in recent years located just before the Main Ballroom of the Hyatt (where the Masquerade/dances are) & can help you out.

Too many years, too many stories lol. I'll depress you all if I start my storytelling here (though I may eventually, ye hath beene warned). I'll part with some advice instead: No situation is hopeless, no problem impossible, and no matter unfixable. Calmness, rationality, and a steel resolve can do wondrous things.~
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#8 User is offline   Fate Averruncus 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9968

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

My worst con stories aren't really all that bad--just a severe annoyance (my brother has one, though, if he ever posts it. D:. Anyway...) And yes, they're stories. Because it's happened more than once. On many occasions, the panel that I was supposed to go into was either not done, or was in the room entirely. For example, I went to go see the Negima voice actors panel in.. 2007? *isn't sure*, and had to deal instead with the Nerima Daikon Brothers panel for at least 30 minutes. I had no interest in that series, so the panel was boring to me. D:.
This happened again another year. That year, I was forced to endure the drifting panel for 45 minutes. (I don't care for Initial D), instead of.. I don't even remember the panel. I just remember that the drifting panel was boring. The only one that was an OK mistake/overflow was when they moved the Dubbing in reverse panel without telling people. They put the M.O.V.E. Q and A in that room. This turned out OK for me--they weren't boring, and I had apparently heard their music without knowing it before.
I also had a really rude vendor once, but I don't know if that counts. To put it short, I was treated like I was an idiot. I haven't bought from them since.
Attending ACen since 2002. :).
Friday and Saturday cosplay: Neinheart from MapleStory

My cosplay.com page | My Deviantart page

#9 User is offline   nike13 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60634

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Not ACEN but my worst con was showing up for a Sunday, paying 20$ more than what was advertised on the site (making it the same price as a Saturday - 55$) and then finding out that I had to pay another 20$ per person/autograph. There weren't many panels cause it's a small con and it was a half day cause it was Sunday. I was pissed by the end of the day for the extra costs and am probably not going back, which is sad cause I've been to that convention for more than 10 years as a family vacation with my parents.

#10 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

View Postnike13, on 17 March 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Not ACEN but my worst con was showing up for a Sunday, paying 20$ more than what was advertised on the site (making it the same price as a Saturday - 55$) and then finding out that I had to pay another 20$ per person/autograph. There weren't many panels cause it's a small con and it was a half day cause it was Sunday. I was pissed by the end of the day for the extra costs and am probably not going back, which is sad cause I've been to that convention for more than 10 years as a family vacation with my parents.

Wow, just wow. Why would they charge that much on a sunday? And twenty bucks for autographs? I'd be pretty upset too.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#11 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

Umm...well, I'm still new this to year, but I have a few minor stories about Acen 2011. Let's see....Well for starters when I tried to go see Cristina Vee. I got stop by a black girl claiming she was the line guard. I was like," What? How can you guard a line?" She was like," I can do that by standing here." So, I decide to make he situation a little bit a joke. We had some nice back and forth joke. She was pretty cool at the end of the day. Umm...let's see....I got confuse when I saw this guy: http://mastermorisu....set=24#/d3gzwep I didn't know who it was until I uploaded the picture after Acen 2011. I felt so out of place. That must happen when you go to your first con. Btw, I'm the black kid in cubs gear. I need to fresh up my style. And lastly, there was this one chick that said she was cosplaying Sailor Venus, but her outfit was a bright yellow. It looks like she bleach her outfit and tried to play it off. That cosplay was super bad.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#12 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'd say the craziness of ACen 2010. the "fire" at that hotel. Forgot the name. Embassy? Doubletree? Everything was handled well and most everyone stayed calm, but It was weird and I'm sure some folks were freaking out. I'm aware there was no real "fire" itself, but the smoke was intense!
poopies.

#13 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

I'd say the craziness of ACen 2010. the "fire" at that hotel. Forgot the name. Embassy? Doubletree? Everything was handled well and most everyone stayed calm, but It was weird and I'm sure some folks were freaking out. I'm aware there was no real "fire" itself, but the smoke was intense!

That wasn't a horror story, that was hilarious to me. I was walking outside and there was a huge group of people singing "We Didn't Start the Fire!"
All systems... GO!

#14 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

None of these stories thus far are horror stories really. just momentary confusion.

:)
poopies.

#15 User is offline   Maze 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 6570

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I've heard a few horror stories from ACEN over the years. But by far the worst I ever heard about was dubbed LineCon. What I found humorous about this horror story was I got my stuff on Thursday where everything went super smooth and was in and out in no time. Friday, everything blew up apparently.

#16 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostMaze, on 29 March 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

I've heard a few horror stories from ACEN over the years. But by far the worst I ever heard about was dubbed LineCon. What I found humorous about this horror story was I got my stuff on Thursday where everything went super smooth and was in and out in no time. Friday, everything blew up apparently.

was this in 2009? cause i was dead in the middle of that line -.- I was there from about 7am till closing. it was horrible stuck in that line. and the worst ABSOLUTELY WORST part of it...i already had my badge on me *cries* and my ticket for the concert and everything

#17 User is offline   PsychoSora 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18675

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

I wouldn't say it was a horror story.. more of a panicked moment. My mother accompanied me to Acen this year, and while in line for Autographs, she started getting really woozy. She's hypoglycemic so I knew I had to get her a water, and a little something to eat at least. So I grabbed her a chair, asked her if she'd be ok while I got her food, and rushed out of line. The whole time I was waiting in line for concession food, I was panicking hoping she didn't pass out. Not only because of the obvious, but because if I wasn't there to tell them NOT to call an ambulance, she'd murder me after she recovered :|
Thankfully when I got back she was ok, and crisis was averted. And the lady behind me was very nice, and didn't have a problem with me getting out of line to get my mother stuff.
Unfortunately the wait was for naught cuz we didn't end up getting the autograph, but I consider it a win, as she didn't pass out :D Yay!

Remember to Tag Yourself!
ACen 2013

ACen 2012 Photos
For ACen's previous to 2012 please send me a PM for the link.

#18 User is offline   Kamiokande 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61736

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

ACen 2012 gave me two new stories to tell at con story panels.

Saturday of ACen 2012 was a lot colder and windier than expected so I was given the task to move photoshoots from the loading docks to an alternate location inside the con center lobby. Unfortunately, the con center lobby closed at 7:30. There was still a Silent Hill photoshoot scheduled for the loading docks at 7:30. I decided to go with Plan C and move the photoshoot to the lower dome. The host chose a longer path to get there but whatever. At least we got there. Unfortunately, there was already a Kenshin photoshoot going on in the lower dome. The staffer who organized the photoshoots had told me to put the incoming group on the stairs at the back of the lower dome in this situation so I moved the Silent Hill cosplayers to the stairs. Unfortunately, the pyramid heads' pyramid heads were blocking the stairs so we couldn't use Plan D. The Silent Hill cosplayers continued up the stairs and into the fish bowl room. Unfortunately, the cosplay department hadn't reserved the fish bowl for photoshoots and we were blocking a traffic lane for the security staffers. I told the cosplayers that I would make room for them back in the lower dome. I went back to the lower dome and made room for the Silent Hill photoshoot. So there we were. Plan F had worked. It had taken a while but we were finally ready to let those frustrated Silent Hill cosplayers finish their photoshoot in a warm place that wasn't windy. Mission accomplished. That was when someone in the lower dome said, "Can I have everyone's attention please? In case you didn't notice, the fire alarm is going off." He was right. The fire alarm was going off. But that's not the worst of it. The Silent Hill cosplayers didn't get to finish their photoshoot, but it gets worse. The fire alarm went off right as cosplay skits were getting started. They didn't get to do cosplay skits that year, and that's the story of one of the times a fire alarm went off at ACen.

ACen 2012 had an incident that those of you who have attended many anime cons may be familiar with by now. The fire alarm went off. It went off right as they were starting cosplay skits. When the alarm had been reset and people were continuing with the con, I went backstage in the main events room to babysit the daughter of a more important staffer. So people are running around backstage to get the skits ready again while I'm standing there with this girl and then she suddenly starts to fangirl squeal. Don't worry; it wasn't that obnoxious scream that some fangirls do when someone pressures them to act like fangirls. She was doing a legitimate fangirl squeal. She was like... And she was all like... This confused me because I didn't see any yaoi in the direction where she was looking. So after about a minute of this, she points in front of us and says, "Look! There's a green one too"! I asked her what she was looking at. She said it was the colorful spotlights that were spinning around above the stage, and that's the story of the time I saw a fangirl squeal at something that wasn't yaoi. ... Though I have to admit, those lights were colorful and shiny.

This post has been edited by Kamiokande: 06 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

#19 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostNaoya Toudou, on 18 April 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

was this in 2009? cause i was dead in the middle of that line -.- I was there from about 7am till closing. it was horrible stuck in that line. and the worst ABSOLUTELY WORST part of it...i already had my badge on me *cries* and my ticket for the concert and everything

2008 was the "line con". I know because it was my first year on staff on EMRT and in the convention center. That one Friday I had more medical calls than any convention weekend combined since then. 2009 was like "noline con" at least for registration. That is when we had Hall D for registration and Hall F for the Exhibit hall space. 2010-2012 we were back in Hall A.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#20 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostPsychoSora, on 06 May 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

I wouldn't say it was a horror story.. more of a panicked moment. My mother accompanied me to Acen this year, and while in line for Autographs, she started getting really woozy. She's hypoglycemic so I knew I had to get her a water, and a little something to eat at least. So I grabbed her a chair, asked her if she'd be ok while I got her food, and rushed out of line. The whole time I was waiting in line for concession food, I was panicking hoping she didn't pass out. Not only because of the obvious, but because if I wasn't there to tell them NOT to call an ambulance, she'd murder me after she recovered :|
Thankfully when I got back she was ok, and crisis was averted. And the lady behind me was very nice, and didn't have a problem with me getting out of line to get my mother stuff.
Unfortunately the wait was for naught cuz we didn't end up getting the autograph, but I consider it a win, as she didn't pass out :D Yay!

PsychoSora, please next year if your mother accompanies you, visit the Special Needs booth. They can help you a lot in getting you set up with many advantages for being either disabled or other medical ailments. Also they can provide you with a nice emergency card where you can put your medical conditions and medications in case you are found unconscious. If you have a problem medically, please visit one of our first aid locations. This year we had one in the Midway room in the hotel and also the first floor of the show office in the convention center. We are staffed with not only first aid trained personnel, but also EMT's and Paramedics on site who are part of the convention staff and our services we render are free. If we determine it is a medical emergency we will be calling Rosemont EMS for transport, but a lot of medical situations can be averted. We are happy to help and pretty much anyone with a radio, including the IRT personnel can get a hold of one of us via radio. We are there to help you con attendees in your time of need.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#21 User is offline   woozle 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61629

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostKamiokande, on 06 May 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

ACen 2012 gave me two new stories to tell at con story panels.

Saturday of ACen 2012 was a lot colder and windier than expected so I was given the task to move photoshoots from the loading docks to an alternate location inside the con center lobby. Unfortunately, the con center lobby closed at 7:30. There was still a Silent Hill photoshoot scheduled for the loading docks at 7:30. I decided to go with Plan C and move the photoshoot to the lower dome. The host chose a longer path to get there but whatever. At least we got there. Unfortunately, there was already a Kenshin photoshoot going on in the lower dome. The staffer who organized the photoshoots had told me to put the incoming group on the stairs at the back of the lower dome in this situation so I moved the Silent Hill cosplayers to the stairs. Unfortunately, the pyramid heads' pyramid heads were blocking the stairs so we couldn't use Plan D. The Silent Hill cosplayers continued up the stairs and into the fish bowl room. Unfortunately, the cosplay department hadn't reserved the fish bowl for photoshoots and we were blocking a traffic lane for the security staffers. I told the cosplayers that I would make room for them back in the lower dome. I went back to the lower dome and made room for the Silent Hill photoshoot. So there we were. Plan F had worked. It had taken a while but we were finally ready to let those frustrated Silent Hill cosplayers finish their photoshoot in a warm place that wasn't windy. Mission accomplished. That was when someone in the lower dome said, "Can I have everyone's attention please? In case you didn't notice, the fire alarm is going off." He was right. The fire alarm was going off. But that's not the worst of it. The Silent Hill cosplayers didn't get to finish their photoshoot, but it gets worse. The fire alarm went off right as cosplay skits were getting started. They didn't get to do cosplay skits that year, and that's the story of one of the times a fire alarm went off at ACen.

Not sure if I was the host for the Silent Hill shoot you were talking about, but the person who put the photoshoot together, as far as I know, never showed up. So me and my friend were trying to do it the best we could. Thank you for trying to help us get a good place this year. I do appreciate it. Hopefully this won't happen next year.

#22 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

View Postdavebb, on 07 May 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

2008 was the "line con". I know because it was my first year on staff on EMRT and in the convention center. That one Friday I had more medical calls than any convention weekend combined since then. 2009 was like "noline con" at least for registration. That is when we had Hall D for registration and Hall F for the Exhibit hall space. 2010-2012 we were back in Hall A.

ah thanks for refreshing my memory youre right. it was in 08 that the dreadful line was going on. 09 was really fast from what i remember i got in was in line fo rlike 30 mins and got out no biggy. but man i pray something like 08 will never have to befall anyone again. i felt bad for the people behind me they came from canada to go to this con ( dont know why really) and they spend their whole first day in line :/

#23 User is offline   Nanashigurl01 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17073

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

The only bad thing that happened to me and a couple of friends this year dealt with a couple of IRT members who were in charge of the Autograph lines on Saturday. My friends and I had purchased the CD and T-shirts for the LM.C autograph and photo session that they were doing. We had been standing in line for at least 2 hours to have decent spots. One of the IRT (the male) started going up and down the line yelling that it wasn't the line for LM.C and that they were doing the signings at their booth. After we explained to them that it couldn't be at their booth because they had put a sign up that it was in the back, they didn't even bother checking with central and forced us out of line. We proceeded to go to their booth where the sign was still up. I told my friends and the other people who were forced out that I was going to go to the information booth at the entrance. Luckily, the woman who was running it listened to my complaint and got one of the Senior Managers involved. Needless to say, the Manager wasn't very pleased but got everything sorted out and got us our spots in line back too. Thank you to the Senior Manager for getting that fixed and keeping our day a good one!
Cosplay:
2007 - Selphie (FF8)
2008 - Mana (Malice Mizer)
2009 - Gardenia Mana (Malice Mizer), Selphie (FF8)
2010 - Gardenia Mana (Malice Mizer), Homunculus (Shadow of Destiny)

#24 User is offline   Lightstar45 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63107

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

It was at the embassy suits. Me, my sister an my mom were staying there. It was terrifying for us because my sister and I were at the masquerade when my mom called, crying and freaking out because she was trying to get down a smoke-filled stairwell in the hotel. We rushed right out of the masquerade and went to the hotel to make sure she got out alright.
"It is a miracle for any two like-minded people to meet within the chaotic flux...That's why forging bonds and relationships is a form of happiness...That is the root cause of...the joys of being alive..."

-Aigis "Persona 3 FES"

#25 User is offline   JCWarriorCats 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63334
  • Location:On the brink of Insanity and Where Has My Memory Gone? Lane

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Its not as bad as some of these. But when I was dressed in Prison Rukia robes, I was walking around looking for my friends and it was the only time I was by myself at the con. This guy who was VIDEO TAPING people looked me up and down and asked me "So did you lose it?" And I had no idea what he was talking about. I asked, "Lose what?" and he was just like. "Well you're in prison, who f***ed you?" I stared at him a couple seconds and litterally ran for it XD
~*Hope is but a simple flame... Always flickering, but always there.*~ JC

#26 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Two words: ACen 2007.

Let's start with before the con even started. I'd ordered a cosplay, but it didn't come in time (actually it came two weeks afterward). But I still had a kimono, and for some reason I bought a suit thinking it'd make a good last-minute cosplay (led to a LOT of people mistaking me for a dude/one of the ACen mascots). Also, I was in college at the time. But we were less than two hours from Chicago, so easy trip right? Well, I was going with a friend, also an out-of-towner, and though he'd been to cons before, this was also his first ACen. And neither of us had our own car, so just GETTING there looked like this: friend drives us to South Shore Line station > ride train to outskirts of Chicago > walk around until we find a bus station > ride bus through downtown Chicago > take Blue Line L train through rest of Chicago, stopping before Rosemont (like I said, we were newbies) > walking around until we found a hotel shuttle to take us to the con center. And going back to college was almost exactly the same.

So upon arrival, we get in line because we didn't have our badges mailed. Our hotel plan, meanwhile, was that another friend who was supposed to meet up with us and get us settled at the Embassy.

7 hours later (5 of those hours spent in line) it appears that either we can't find our hotel guy or hotel guy bailed on us, and we're faced with the prospect of having no room that Friday night. Thank all gods a mutual friend of ours from the same college was at the con with her sis and dad, who gracefully put us up. Saturday, however, they had to leave and we were on our own again, but by then we'd found a vacancy at the Hyatt...not THE Hyatt, but the Hyatt WAY up at the other end of River Road. Which, stupidly, I walked to while dragging luggage and in uncomfortable shoes, and I was so exhausted/broke/defeated that I slept through the rest of Saturday, missing the only reason I even agreed to come to ACen (Kari Wahlgren).

But again, most of that was being unprepared and newbish. Since then I haven't had much trouble with ACen (so far the only con I can afford), with the exception of fire alarms (2008 at the Doubletree and Hyatt last year, but even then I liked how IRT handled the Hyatt evacuation. Kudos.) and 2011, where I had a run-in with a rather rude vendor (was trying to find a hard-to-find DVD and for some reason they felt the need to snap at me).
ACen 2014 Cosplay ("From the Spirit World"):
Fem!Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach) :: San (Princess Mononoke) :: Boogiepop/Touka Miyashita (Boogiepop Phantom)

#27 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

I think I mentioned this before and compared to some of the things that have happened here, I think this is a rather tame con story.

It happened at ACen I believe mid or late Saturday. I was confused about a certain thing and saw an IRT lady directing folks so I went up to her to ask a question and started getting yelled at to go somewhere else and it took a few minutes for her to stop yelling over me to realize that I was trying to politely ask her WHERE I was supposed to go. She never apologized for yelling over me or never seemed to realize that I was only asking for help but I understand that she was tired and stressed with having to direct a lot of people ( I think the concert was lining up or something and they had changed the line up - I don't recall anymore). Suffice it say, it was a little shocking to be yelled at when I needed help but I do also get her situation and was able to get the answers I needed. I also have never had any problems with IRT before or after that so it was an isolated incident.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#28 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Well, in terms of organizational messes, I was the centerpiece in one a few years ago... At that time, I decided to reintroduce group registration back to our anime club at school for a con (this wasn't ACen), something that had been discontinued several years back. Got the paperwork in, and thought that the badges would be released to the general queue. Got conflicting information from con staff as to which line I should be in to get my badge (main vs special), and the main line person who was manning the booth couldn't find my badge. Get into the line for special issues, and lo and behold, the badges were all stuck in that queue. Problem was, they could only release the badges to the people designated as "group leaders." Took them a little while to confirm that I was a group leader, but... they said that I had to take ALL 15-16 badges for the group, and I couldn't just take my own. Problem was, everyone else would be arriving at different times during the con. What if someone didn't show up? Couldn't convince staff of this flaw with their system, so... gave my cell number to registration, gave my number to every co-admin in the club, basically plastered my name and number throughout the club website/FB page etc, saying to everyone, "call me when you get to the con, I have your badge." So I spent pretty much half of Friday darting in and out of panels and the dealers room and the hotel trying to track people down whenever my cell phone rang to make sure everyone had their badge and that nobody's was lost. Final badge handed out at 4:30 PM that Friday. Group registration hasn't been done since.

As for ACen... this wasn't during the con, but on the drive home... let's just say that I should have realized it wouldn't go well when the day before I was due to leave, I call home when I find tweets from some local friends saying that the weather was turning foul and the sky was ready to belch tornadoes out. Oh yeah, this was my first road trip where I was in charge of everything, going with friends and w/o family. When heading home after the con (had a fantastic time other than a buggy cell phone), I get on I-90 and it starts pouring cats and dogs, and of course there was hail involved for about 15 minutes. Kept going and everything was fine until around Wisconsin Dells. Sky began turning foul again, except this time it felt like tornadoes were about to actually drop down out of the sky. Turn on the radio, and I hear tornado warnings and thunderstorm warnings were issued for a part of Wisconsin. Problem was, I didn't know where the heck I was or where these counties were relative to where I was. There were no exits for miles and no ditches nearby in case a tornado did drop out of the sky. Get my friends to try and get a GPS location on us versus the counties where the warnings were issued, which took a while since we were in the middle of no-man's land. I was really concerned for myself, concerned for my passengers and considering I called the shots, I kept going with the justification that the locals weren't pulling over. Didn't know if I was going to run into the storm or not at that time, but thankfully everything worked out and we got home safely.

Then I clicked on the news and Wikipedia the next day. Turns out the storm that spawned the tornado in WI also spawned the F-5 tornado that destroyed Jopin, MO the same day I was driving home. And the tornado that caused all those warnings in WI stayed on the ground for like... over an hour and at its peak was an F-2. The next ACen I drove back in a blinding rainstorm part of the way while trying to drop my friends off in rural MN in roads where I was completely unfamiliar with. Let's see what catastrophic weather event I get hit with this year!
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K14 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit)- D. Gray Man, Lio Izumi- Full Moon wo Sagashite, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Kamui Gakupo (Fate/Rebirth outfit)- Vocaloid

My Flickr- click for my photos

#29 User is offline   sithmuffin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19203

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

This isn't so much a con horror story as it as an almost horror story, but anyways. I'm pretty much the only person in our group of friends to have a car, so I'm the one picking everyone up and driving them to the con and hotel and what not. Literally 5 days before ACen of last year, my car died. Not just broke down or anything but totally called it quits. Luckily we found a new car before then but it was scary and frustrating. I'm so glad things ended up working out.
ACen 2014 cosplays:
Espeon (updated)
Harley Quinn (hopefully updated)

#30 User is offline   MizukiMidnight 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 56276

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

At ACen 2010, I was with a couple friends walking around a little later at the con outside the Hyatt. Everything was fine, until I had realized I didn't have my phone. I was freaking out and retraced my steps but could not find it D: This was the first thing that had happened during that night. Next thing I know, I was planning to take a picture of someone's cosplay, whip my camera out, and it won't turn on. I had charged it and hadn't used it all day, so I was like, "wahttt" I then noticed that the battery had fallen out. My friends and I tried to look for that, but to no avail, we lost that TOO. So, I was pretty much raging by then.

We decided to go to McDonald not soon after, and on our way back, we noticed that there was a man following us. At first, we didn't think anything about it. We just figured it was a fellow con-goer and just shrugged it off. When we turned back around, he was gone. We shrugged that off too. Next thing we know, he's in front of us (How in the hell he managed that, I don't know) and he spoke something, but we didn't understand (I think it was Spanish). He then ran off and we just kind of stood there a little worried. Eventually, we managed to walk all the way back to the con, and as we are making our way towards are rooms, guess who happened to be at our door? The same guy. He didn't have a ACen badge from what I could see. But, what worried me that most was I didn't think it was a coincidence that he happened to be standing in front of our door, what with him meeting with us earlier. So, we just pretty much turned tail and went the opposite direction to another friends room. We spoke to someone on the staff later that night, but no one could figure out who it was. We didn't see him again after that.

It was pretty worrying for the rest of the con 0.0

But yeah, there's my story rofl fun fun fun

This post has been edited by MizukiMidnight: 10 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Coming back as Vincent Valentine! WOOT!
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
Vincent Valentine-100%
Ninja War Hinata-100%
Steampunk/Victorian/Original-100%
Zoe Hanji-100%
Zakuro Tokyo Mew Mew-100%
Mariko Miniskirt Space Pirates-100%

• 2 Pages +