• Member No.: 18292

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

View Postkyomagi, on 20 March 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Anime screenings....check
Panels about anime....check
Anime dealers....check
English anime VA's....check

How is this con not about anime?

while you are correct about the dealers and screenings, panel wise there's been loads of fighting about which can be summed up as
1. People complained about not having non eastern things as subject matter
2. Con then allowed more diverse panel programming
3. Same people that complained are pissed because the convention didn't recognize their non eastern panel when they submitted x number of years ago.
People will fight to the death about that but I'm rather indifferent. Panelsists and programming aren't a huge chunk of acen dollar. I know the amount it costs to reserve those rooms is crucial, but having a few non anime / non culture related panels isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Now, and this is another pretty spilt issue, I really don't care much for American VAs. If you are into dubs, good for you. You'll generally be happy at most conventions if you are a Dub fan. Most cons easily land a few American VAs in starring roles.
But for those like me, who really prefer the japanese side of things, the anime feel is quite lacking.
and even looking at the ration of anime guests to others ; we have 6 anime related guests ( the 5 VAs and L.M.C)
we have 9 non anime related guests ( the fashion designers, comic writers/ artists, the video game orchestra)

And I'm not actually angry with the guest list. I'm pretty excited about the Video Game Orchestra. I'm just a little put off about the sheer amount of fashion designers for pretty much one style ( and before I make any lolita/ punk fan angry, I am not saying all lolita is the same. I'm just saying that is the only niche fashion shown.) And put off that Acen managed to get so many top brand designers but didn't get anyone of that equivalent from the Japanese anime industry. Yet. There's still some time.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#93 User is offline   Arachne 

• Guest Handler Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3338

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 15 March 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

I don't mind having culture. I enjoy culture. But this year is "Lolicon " ( lulz , see what I did there?) It is fine with me that they have lolita designers, this is one of the few ways dedicated girls can meet them. But to have 3 lolita designers, a lolita singer, and yet not one single JAPANESE anime guest... that's just strange.

View Postlinlindesu, on 21 March 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I'm just a little put off about the sheer amount of fashion designers for pretty much one style ( and before I make any lolita/ punk fan angry, I am not saying all lolita is the same. I'm just saying that is the only niche fashion shown.)

I think you are being very unfair in your judgment of the fashion guests. Sixh. and Hangry & Angry are not lolita brands, and even though they are both part of KINCS, they are also very different from one another. There really isn't any redundancy and I don't understand how you came to such a conclusion.

my  is a REMOTE CONTROL

View Postangrypata said:

BLAAARGH BLOOD AND BABY INTESTINES ZETSUBOU ZETSUBOU HEY IS MY EYELINER OKAY

#94 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostArachne, on 23 March 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

I think you are being very unfair in your judgment of the fashion guests. Sixh. and Hangry & Angry are not lolita brands, and even though they are both part of KINCS, they are also very different from one another. There really isn't any redundancy and I don't understand how you came to such a conclusion.

The thing is.. some of us don't care about fashion. At all. American, Japanese, French. So whether their fashion styles are redundant or vastly different doesn't matter to the con patrons that don't care about fashion. Because the fact that there are that many fashion guests when we don't have any Japanese voice actors/animators/mangaka/other people that work directly in anime or manga is disappointing to us.

#95 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostIris, on 23 March 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

The thing is.. some of us don't care about fashion. At all. American, Japanese, French. So whether their fashion styles are redundant or vastly different doesn't matter to the con patrons that don't care about fashion. Because the fact that there are that many fashion guests when we don't have any Japanese voice actors/animators/mangaka/other people that work directly in anime or manga is disappointing to us.

I see your point here with the fashion thing. I personally don't care for the fashion side of things at all . However it is interesting to see A FEW fashion designers come over but I don't know how many people are willing to pony up large amounts of cash to buy those products. I saw the fashion booth of Sixth last year and everything was overpriced more than I'm willing to pay. But hey that's just me personally. There really should be a larger influx of American Voice Actors,some of the more well known ones, as well as Japanese Voice actors (if you can get them) along with those involved in the animation process like last year. There were guests who were Producers if i'm not mistaken for Hetalia. an Animation student like me would love to see that again, as well as See manga-ka.
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

#96 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostBreBre716, on 23 March 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I see your point here with the fashion thing. I personally don't care for the fashion side of things at all . However it is interesting to see A FEW fashion designers come over but I don't know how many people are willing to pony up large amounts of cash to buy those products. I saw the fashion booth of Sixth last year and everything was overpriced more than I'm willing to pay. But hey that's just me personally. There really should be a larger influx of American Voice Actors,some of the more well known ones, as well as Japanese Voice actors (if you can get them) along with those involved in the animation process like last year. There were guests who were Producers if i'm not mistaken for Hetalia. an Animation student like me would love to see that again, as well as See manga-ka.

I agree with Iris. I couldn't care less.
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#97 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostBreBre716, on 23 March 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Off topic, but Animation student? Sweetness--good to know we're still surviving (U of M graduate: Animation and Fine Arts degree) :thumbup:
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#98 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostDefyplums, on 23 March 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Off topic, but Animation student? Sweetness--good to know we're still surviving (U of M graduate: Animation and Fine Arts degree) :thumbup:

Traditional Animation Student at Columbia College Chicago :D I'm a freshman.
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

100%
Tidus 97%

#99 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

This is just my opinion but I've been to acen since 2001 and even staffed. I used to be so excited to go because the amazing roster of guest we used to have, like the mangaka from Ah My Goddess and Lain to name a few. The guests were all these big names and everyone got so excited. Then the past 4-5 years have become lackluster to the point that I lost interest and want bothering to come anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way since I have some friends who voiced the same concern. Funny enough I bumped into an old staffer yesterday and he told me that his friends are calling ACen "lame" and not fun to go anymore.

While it's great to have all these new anime fans coming to the con, I can see OP's point about the whole 40 year old comment. What ACen failed to do is retaining the old congoers. That's why it's hard to see acen grow because while you see new congoers coming every year, you're also losing your "old customers" as well because they compare how amazing it was years ago to now with being a lackluster.

In younger generation's eyes it might be the best con to be, but to us, it's nothing compared to what it.was before.

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

#100 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've not been there as long as most others but I've seen the change start the second year I attended. Maybe it started sooner, I don't know since I've only been there four years now.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#101 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'd agree with this thread.

Acen IS no longer about anime. It's now about... DELICIOUS PRETZEL HAMBURGERS.

Seriously, have you guys EATEN those things at the Hilton? So delicious.

-_-
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#102 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 24 March 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'd agree with this thread.

Acen IS no longer about anime. It's now about... DELICIOUS PRETZEL HAMBURGERS.

Seriously, have you guys EATEN those things at the Hilton? So delicious.

-_-

No I haven't!!! Seriously, I'm not staying there but I'm tempted to make a visit just to try one (in the event you're not joking. :D)
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#103 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostSTVO, on 24 March 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

No I haven't!!! Seriously, I'm not staying there but I'm tempted to make a visit just to try one (in the event you're not joking. :D)

No, I'm not joking! They have these pretzel bun hamburgers at that restaurant on the main floor of the Hilton. Dunno what it's called... They are so amazing. :thumbup: Of course, you could throw worms on a pretzel bun and it would be delicious. But it's my favorite hamburger in THE WORLD.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#104 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ah. The older you get, and the more conventions you go to. The more "bleh" it starts to appear. I had gone "convention free" for the past 2 years, but if y'have reason to go back, then y'have reason to go back. Age factor or not, y'make your con. experience as you want it.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#105 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostArachne, on 23 March 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

Please understand I was saying it is niche fashion. It is a very small portion of the population that wears lolita / punk styles ( which I called them, not just lolita. You would agree Hangry & Angry and Sixh. would be considering "punk" brands, correct?). As someone who enjoys fashion and style, there are other designers from Japan that I would rather see. And as a fan that attends an anime convention, I would prefer to see more guests related to the japanese animation industry. That is all I am saying.

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 24 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#106 User is offline   Pika 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61800

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

I feel like I'm partially to blame for this, considering I'm cosplaying as a nonanime character on Friday.
It's just, I don't know anyone that likes it at home, so I rely on ACen--the one place where you can nerd out with people just like you and not expect to be judged--to meet people that care for the sames thing.

My town is a very preppy town, therefore we have a very seldom number of nerds around here (most of them are closet nerds anywho). So when I want to nerd out about webcomics, anime, or cartoons, I expect to be able to at ACen.
Sorry if it pisses others off. :/

#107 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostPika, on 29 March 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

I feel like I'm partially to blame for this, considering I'm cosplaying as a nonanime character on Friday.
It's just, I don't know anyone that likes it at home, so I rely on ACen--the one place where you can nerd out with people just like you and not expect to be judged--to meet people that care for the sames thing.

My town is a very preppy town, therefore we have a very seldom number of nerds around here (most of them are closet nerds anywho). So when I want to nerd out about webcomics, anime, or cartoons, I expect to be able to at ACen.
Sorry if it pisses others off. :/

It's all your fault! How dare you cosplay something non-anime!! I'm just joking of course!!! I haven't cosplayed as an anime character since 2004 and I know numerous other people that do something non-anime. I think ACen and other conventions should welcome people of all sorts of nerdy/geeky hobbies as long as those people can respect the message of the con and those who go there for such interest. While I know some will go and not give anime a shot, I think they should. Might even be pleased with it.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#108 User is offline   Star-cloud 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61808

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Acen is still mostly about anime

anime viewing rooms
anime panels
anime cosplayers
anime merch
anime fans

acen is about Japanese culture and anime\manga
Inuyasha: [Inuyasha pulls Kagome into a hug] I was afraid. I thought I was going to lose you. I was terrified.

#109 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Well and with the most recent guest additions being Japanese guests who are involved in the anime industry I'd say that it' still plenty about anime.
All systems... GO!

#110 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

If you do not like it.

Don't attend.

Problem solved :)
poopies.

#111 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

If you do not like it.

Don't attend.

Problem is though Acen is the Largest con in the area and not everyone has the dough to attend the other ones or the dough to make the trip to other cons that may be smaller but may be too far away from them to travel or these smaller cons don't exactly have the best panels/guests attending so far ..so some folks aren't willing to invest thier funds in it just yet.
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

100%
Tidus 97%

#112 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostBreBre716, on 30 March 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Problem is though Acen is the Largest con in the area and not everyone has the dough to attend the other ones or the dough to make the trip to other cons that may be smaller but may be too far away from them to travel or these smaller cons don't exactly have the best panels/guests attending so far ..so some folks aren't willing to invest thier funds in it just yet.

*Puts on a deep voice* Insufficient Funds. YOU ARE BEING ATTACKED!
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#113 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

If you do not like it.

Don't attend.

The other problem is to say that is to say stop going to anime cons. Most every con out there is using the same business model as ACen. Certainly all the large ones are. Because it works.

This isn't a debate about whats good or bad and whether or not you like the change. Thats irrelevant. The fact is that it is a change and its a change all around. Most people are for it, otherwise it wouldn't be as successful as it is.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#114 User is offline   Pika 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61800

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostSTVO, on 29 March 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

It's all your fault! How dare you cosplay something non-anime!! I'm just joking of course!!! I haven't cosplayed as an anime character since 2004 and I know numerous other people that do something non-anime. I think ACen and other conventions should welcome people of all sorts of nerdy/geeky hobbies as long as those people can respect the message of the con and those who go there for such interest. While I know some will go and not give anime a shot, I think they should. Might even be pleased with it.

Haha, 2004? That's a long time!
I'm a huge fan of anime, but I just got into some webcomics recently and I want to dress up for that (Even if it has nothing to do with Japan or anime >> ).
And I totally agree! People that don't go for anime should at least respect the other con goers. There are so many different types of anime, I'd be surprised if someone couldn't find one to their liking if they gave it a shot.

Alas, one of the people I am going with to ACen is only going for the raves. I wouldn't mind it one bit! But she use to bully me for liking anime so I find it a bit... odd and maybe even hypocritical. But whatever, I'm not hanging out with her, just splitting hotel room money. So its all good (:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users