• This topic is locked

Acen is no longer about anime.

#61 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thus far, unless you are a lolita/ very into visual kei/ actually watch dubbed anime there isn't much of a guest for you ( of any age ) this year.
I feel OP's point was good I just wish he didn't drag age into this because a lot of the "I'm (insert age here) and I still enjoy the con!!!!" aren't really related to the point OP was trying to make.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#62 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've asked before what his biggest complaints are but unfortunately all I'm gathering is that Optimus M:

• Doesn't think the con appeals to the 40+ Demo (others disagreed)
• Doesn't have much old anime (answered)
• Doesn't like Lolita or Fashion (in all fairness, I agree but doesn't mean that several others feel the same.)

My suggestion here is for him to offer more suggestions (get Monkey Punch to come to ACen, have a pre-1980s panel, whatever.) No offense to the OP but if you don't give enough examples or details, then we're less likely to agree. I love Lupin (btw I'm 28) and if there was any panel (haven't read of there is or isn't yet, so correct me if there is) I'd love to attend. While I can't say ACen cosplay/panels/whatever are 100% anime, I'd say the bulk majority of the con is. Just may not feature the anime we once loved, but that happens when we grow up and new anime fans come to the scene.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#63 User is offline   Shaherah 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61572

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Idk, since I'm no where near 40 yet, I really can't comment about how the over 40 crowd must feel. However, every year I go I see people in their 50's cosplaying and having a good time. Having a pre 1980's panel would be a great idea for the over 40 crowd if that's what they want. I'm only 27 but I still may go to that, since I like bringing old-school characters back and cosplay as them.

I imagine myself at 50 still coming to ACen, despite the crowd being younger.
Ororo's Free Hugs 2012
*Embrace the Storm*

~*HeraLuv*~

2012 Cosplay: Ororo aka Storm from X-Men (90's version & X-Treme X-Men version);
also featuring fellow team captain Cyclops with Rogue, Jubilee, and Marvel's Black Panther. Come say Hi when you see us - Hera*

#64 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

@Stvo and Shaherah: Hummm giving ideas for a panel for next year...Hummm.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#65 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 14 March 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

@Stvo and Shaherah: Hummm giving ideas for a panel for next year...Hummm.

You could say that. :) Just trying to help a cause I suppose. I too appreciate the classics. :)
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#66 User is offline   kitsune red 

• ADA Compliance
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 36791

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

What some people seem to be forgetting is that Anime and Manga is in essence a living thing. Simular to novels and movies trends change. What first attracted one to Anime or Manga may not be what attracts the same person 10, 20 or more years later.
As people grow and mature they change, their interest change as well. Also Anime and Manga are written to address issues that are not static but are changeing as well. Think about Grave of the Fireflies. That was written to address issues and events that happened during and after the Second World War. It wasn't very well received in Japan. I would not say it is my favorite, however it is one that left a deep inpression on me. It would not be written today. I do wonder what Anime and Manga will be written dealing with issues of the earthquake, tsunami, and nucealar accident. This will have an impact for years to come.

#67 User is offline   Ultra Yak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 47823

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Well, You probably COULD file those fashion parts and video gaming under "Japanese Culture"...but there are some things that i think just dont belong.

I wonder if we file being a Brony and as a matter of fact, just about anything else that isnt anime or manga under Japanese Culture.

This post has been edited by Ultra Yak: 15 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

ACEN2012, "Ultra Yak!! in GetBack Feeling!"
His little boat coasted into the dock of the city named ACEN. It's shimmering lights made him blind to the chaos that would ensue within.
Soon he would learn that he would get back more than just the feelings lost in the year 2010.
Waiting in the one place he wouldn't look, until...

#68 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

I don't mind having culture. I enjoy culture. But this year is "Lolicon " ( lulz , see what I did there?) It is fine with me that they have lolita designers, this is one of the few ways dedicated girls can meet them. But to have 3 lolita designers, a lolita singer, and yet not one single JAPANESE anime guest... that's just strange. This is still an Anime convention. Before anyone mans their harpoons, I am not against gaming/ western cosplay, I have and never will be a pure anime fan, and I am ok with panels being diversified as long as there aren't any double standards ( and let's be honest acen staff, there has been.). I just feel guest wise , that we need to step it up a bit. I know we aren't a coast con so it is harder, but I enjoy acen more than most cons and would rather not have to leave because they keep only getting American VAs (which I know is a very spilt issue among the community) and other culture guests ( ok, lolita was nice but if you guys are going to keep playing the designer angle could you grab a few people form Liz Lisa for me? Not loli? Well gyaru is just as cultural...)
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#69 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Is there a way to mix things? Like for example, the book kamakazi girls wasn't that turned into a manga along with a movie? How about having the costume designer, the writer and the mangaka come? Or for something like Durarara, mix the dub and japanese cast to come, along with maybe the writer of the series?

I know Acen is about Anime, but Anime is becoming a mixed media in a lot of ways. Some shows are inspiring fashion, books, games, and vice versa in that some books are inspireing anime. Why not include all of it? Is there a way to do so that pleases everyone? :heart:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#70 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59128

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

I noticed that too about ACen last year. It was only my first year,so I can't go far into giving my own opinion about this treade. But while a lot of conventions do have anime in them, they also have non-anime related activities; Gaming, artist panels, fasion shows, concerts. Whatever the activity is, I usually enjoy myself whenever I go to conventions. I do usually go to see and buy tones of anime, but I also like to interact with different people about games, anime, Japanese fasions, etc.

I'm not too sure about the 40+ thing, like others have said, but times change and so do anime. There's a lot of guests whom I don't even recognize too much except LM.C but it'd be nice to see old school anime like Ghost in the Shell, Big O, Gundam, Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Guyver, ect. But from what I've experienced(although I'm only 19), conventions usually like to switch their events each year to satisfy different tastes in people instead of having the same thing each year----I think is what I'm trying to imply. :blink: :o
2013 Expected Cosplays

KillerBee Naruto Shippuuden
Seras Hellsing
Aqua Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Chouji Akamichi Naruto Shippuuden
Santa Finland Hetalia

#71 User is offline   ACen Guy Brown 

• ACen Guy
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 752

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Yes, ACen has changed to encompass more of a geek culture appeal. But I don't see what is wrong with that. ACen has changed because the attendees have changed. It is, and will always be, about what the attendees want. Most of the programming is very much geared toward an anime fan. It just happens to be that anime fans are also the fans of internet culture. The con has always tended to skew younger, so it will be the people in their teens and early twentys that determine what the convention is.
ACen Guys on Facebook

UPCOMING PANELS
ACen 2015: ???

#72 User is offline   Fate Averruncus 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9968

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

I do have to agree, somewhat. The over 40 thing, no. I just don't get that. But about the ACen isn't about anime anymore. For some reason, fashion seems to be becoming more and more of a focus. And I DON'T like it. I came to ACen back in 2002 because I was an anime and video game fan who wanted to go to a convention based on this. I returned because I got just that. Great Japanese guests, great American guests, a place I can buy almost anything anime related I want, and people wearing cosplay. It was that way until a few years ago. For some reason, the guests keep getting more and more based in the fashion industry, and this fashion thing seems to be overriding the anime. Even the dealer room is overrun by fashion! D:.
Personally, I come for the anime and video game based stuff. I don't care about fashion all that much. Only lolita interests me, and the one fan panel was enough for that. And unfortunately, what I don't care for is becoming the focus. D:. It's such a focus that it's to the point where I can't even cosplay a character who wears lolita successfully without being lumped in as yet another lolita, and ignored. And I KNOW this fashion thing had to do with it--I wore the costume one year, and got pictures and recognition. The next year, I wore it again, and was ignored. This was the year the fashion show started, and there were a TON of people in lolita. Notice a trend?
I know ACen is also about Japanese culture, but fashion isn't the only part. And it seems to be becoming too much of the focus. I just hope that the rest of the guests include more voice actors/actresses(Japanese and American), and artists. At least give those of us who DON'T care something to look forward to.
Attending ACen since 2002. :).
Friday and Saturday cosplay: Neinheart from MapleStory

My cosplay.com page | My Deviantart page

#73 User is offline   DioxideIL 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 27908

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

If I may....

ACEN has evolved and adapted over the years to accommodate a larger variety of interests whilst still keeping anime at it's core. While this is only my second time ('09 was my first), I am rather excited to see what everyone has going on this time around. I love ACEN as it gives me a much better opportunity to expand my interests beyond what a con focused strictly on anime would offer. I love the idea of being able to see what others are in to, and finding myself with a new interest in the process.

In short, ACEN has given me opportunities to meet others and learn things I likely never would have known otherwise. If that means sacrificing an all-anime theme, I am on board.
Decided not to bring a signature book due to lack of interest.

---Chibi Chaser---

#74 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

The thing about the fashion shows is that its become more of an in thing right now and less underground. People want to see various fashions and enjoy the shows and their contents. I agree that there needs to be more anime, but some diversification is okay. Hopefully next year GR will be on the ball and have things rolling right off the bat.

Pardon the Pause

#75 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11421

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Everyone is bringing up some very good points in here-things that I wouldn't have thought to adress myself!
However, while diversification is a good thing to an extent, I do think that the lack of Japanese anime industry guests is appalling.
There seems to be other issues at work here as to why that is, so I certainly don't want to point fingers, but if you aren't into dubs, or vkei or Jfashion there isn't much for you as of yet.
I dunno, I just expected more from a 15th anniversary.
Also, as to Acen always skewing towards a younger crowd, that didn't really start happening until about 2000 when they started the soap bubble-I was one of the youngest there in 1998/99.
I just don't want this to become another Reactor-less guests, more party/drug use/damage each year until the hotel kicks us out & we end up in a rat-infested hotel. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure the people begging to buy/take my badge from me on the sidewalk on Sat. night last year weren't there for anime.
ACen 2014 Cosplay/lolita list
TBD!

#76 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't think what happened to Reactor will happen to Acen. For one thing, most of the staff here seems more invested in keeping things safe and secure, and, I suspect, that if things with the soap bubble got really that bad, they would probably drop it in favor of the Crystal ball. And i'm pretty sure that there are things working behind the scenes. I know El Ken mentioned the fact that his group is going over for TAF in Japan, and they are knocking on doors, probably almost kicking them in.

We still have some time. *crossing fingers*

Maybe one thing, and Mr. Russell mentioned this was how he found out about Acen, would be if you go to another convention and you have a chance to talk to a Seiyuu mention Acen and how much fun it is. Then in turn mention the person in the Guest thread and let them know about bringing them.

I remember, I think they do this every year, but doesn't Acen have like a meeting for the guests at the end of the con to mention what they liked and didn't like and offer solutions?

Pardon the Pause

#77 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

ACEN more like PAX this year.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#78 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

PAX isn't a bad convention though. Is it?

Pardon the Pause

#79 User is offline   Ultra Yak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 47823

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostChunlichan, on 16 March 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure the people begging to buy/take my badge from me on the sidewalk on Sat. night last year weren't there for anime.

This...I see too many people who OBVIOUSLY aren't there for anime.

I think theres a little too much "Rave" and not enough "Anime Central" in Anime Central...just sayin'
"Rave" and "Saturday Night" dont mix too well.

Besides, why do we need TWO of them? Hardcore Synergy AND Soap Bubble..can't we just pack all that awesome stuff in one night and then have something a little more appealing to the rest of us on the 2nd night.
ACEN2012, "Ultra Yak!! in GetBack Feeling!"
His little boat coasted into the dock of the city named ACEN. It's shimmering lights made him blind to the chaos that would ensue within.
Soon he would learn that he would get back more than just the feelings lost in the year 2010.
Waiting in the one place he wouldn't look, until...

#80 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostUltra Yak, on 20 March 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

This...I see too many people who OBVIOUSLY aren't there for anime.

I think theres a little too much "Rave" and not enough "Anime Central" in Anime Central...just sayin'
"Rave" and "Saturday Night" dont mix too well.

Besides, why do we need TWO of them? Hardcore Synergy AND Soap Bubble..can't we just pack all that awesome stuff in one night and then have something a little more appealing to the rest of us on the 2nd night.

because they draw very different crowds. have you been to either? You don't have as many of "those people" as you guys were referring to them at the Hardcore. The hardcore is mainly anime mixes and japanese djs. If you just threw the two lots together, people like myself who prefer the glory of the Hardcore will have to deal with "those people" ( I am not saying everyone who enjoys the soap bubble is evil, this is concerning the dance only types) If Acen combined them , I would never , ever, come back.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#81 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

Just to point out that A-kon, the granddaddy of all anime cons has had dances for a long time along with a large variety of musical guests yet I don't see people crying fowl over that.

Times change folks, and anime isn't just the thing you watch in secret anymore. We now have a very diverse group of people and who like various things. I don't go to panels, so why can't I go to conventions to enjoy various musical guests/performances for example? Why is a convention in the wrong for catering to something I like as an anime fan as well?

Also the type of music at synergy and the bubble are very different as mentioned before, which is why they can't really be combined.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#82 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 20 March 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Just to point out that A-kon, the granddaddy of all anime cons has had dances for a long time along with a large variety of musical guests yet I don't see people crying fowl over that.

Times change folks, and anime isn't just the thing you watch in secret anymore. We now have a very diverse group of people and who like various things. I don't go to panels, so why can't I go to conventions to enjoy various musical guests/performances for example? Why is a convention in the wrong for catering to something I like as an anime fan as well?

Also the type of music at synergy and the bubble are very different as mentioned before, which is why they can't really be combined.

Well said.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#83 User is offline   kyomagi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 15871

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

So some people are there just for the lolita guests, who cares
So some people are there just for the Rave, who cares

Seriously, Acen is a diverse world.

#84 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

View Postopimus.rm, on 19 March 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

ACEN more like PAX this year.

Honestly man, putting one sentence answers like "Acen is a pop culture con." or "Acen is like PAX." is not helping your argument. Like I said "Details." I haven't been to PAX (I kind of want to, maybe next year) but have heard awesome things. Again, give some more explanation why ACen isn't to your liking as opposed to one sentence generalizations otherwise I recommend (and I'm not trying to sound mean) that maybe you should try other cons and skip ACen. I know I disagree with most of ACen's naysayers but at least they give some concrete description as to why they don't like it anymore.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#85 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

View Postkyomagi, on 20 March 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

So some people are there just for the lolita guests, who cares
So some people are there just for the Rave, who cares

Seriously, Acen is a diverse world.

SERIOUSLY.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#86 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostSTVO, on 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Again, give some more explanation why ACen isn't to your liking as opposed to one sentence generalizations otherwise I recommend (and I'm not trying to sound mean) that maybe you should try other cons and skip ACen. I know I disagree with most of ACen's naysayers but at least they give some concrete description as to why they don't like it anymore.

I'm all for diverse JP culture related content, but I'm also for balance & there is none atm with the current guest list. And without those anime industry Japanese guests you lose out on a chunk of related panels that skews it even more. Just hoping the GR staff can pull something off in the few weeks they have left.
g'day
youth

#87 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

View Postyouth, on 20 March 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'm all for diverse JP culture related content, but I'm also for balance & there is none atm with the current guest list. And without those anime industry Japanese guests you lose out on a chunk of related panels that skews it even more. Just hoping the GR staff can pull something off in the few weeks they have left.

While I may not necessarily agree, I'm glad you at least described what you think of the con.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#88 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostSTVO, on 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Honestly man, putting one sentence answers like "Acen is a pop culture con." or "Acen is like PAX." is not helping your argument. Like I said "Details." I haven't been to PAX (I kind of want to, maybe next year) but have heard awesome things. Again, give some more explanation why ACen isn't to your liking as opposed to one sentence generalizations otherwise I recommend (and I'm not trying to sound mean) that maybe you should try other cons and skip ACen. I know I disagree with most of ACen's naysayers but at least they give some concrete description as to why they don't like it anymore.

No Japanese animaters or directors. No mangaka.No character designers.

This post has been edited by opimus.rm: 20 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#89 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

View Postopimus.rm, on 20 March 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

No Japanese animaters or directors. No mangaka.No character designers.

Fair enough. Hmm... Maybe this year won't be saved but perhaps you can suggest some guests for next year by posting in the guest relations spot or writing letters? I might try that for some game designers next year.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#90 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Given the fact that Acen is on Golden Week in Japan...yeah can be tricky to get people to come out in some cases, especially if they are going to see family.

Pardon the Pause

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users