• This topic is locked

Acen is no longer about anime.

#31 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Point, yes anime should be important to the convention, but also remember that as we mature globally and the younger generation gets older (born in the 80s and on up) there's a broader sense of diverisity that I think they want in conventions. I have to disagree with the OP on the idea that there's not enough for someone 40+, what exactly is someone 40+ looking for? I'm seriously asking because as far as I know you can be any age and like a wide range of anime, movies, or comics.

I almost wonder if it's a generational thing, (Millennium vs Generation X), where the older anime fans feel that they are being replaced by a more HD saturation of younger fans?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#32 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

View Postexcel excel, on 10 March 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Im 34 and I still enjoy going to cons be it anime or comic. I agree with STVO that they both go hand in hand. They bring people together and we just have a lot of fun. Last year I cosplayed as a non anime character (MST3k)at ACen and I was getting mad love for it. It didn't matter if I went as Wonder Woman or Meg from Family Guy. I still had fun and made people smile. That and times are changing. I was at Youmacon last year and we had Bronies (not saying its bad since I love MLPFIM :) ). Im not saying all anime cons are like this but from what im seeing its changing. Were getting a mix of pop culture and anime in a way weve never had before and its just a sign of the times. Fan Expo in Canada is a mix con that combines Anime, Comics, Horror, and Sci-Fi and its a wonderful con. While I hate to see congoers leave due to something like this, I do understand but like I said before times are changing and with people watching other things besides anime now like Dr. Who, Torchwood, My Little Pony, Game Of Thrones, Adventure Time, and Phineas and Ferb, this was bound to happen. Sorry if you feel this way and if you feel like you don't want to attend ACen anymore because of this then that's understandable. But dont lump all those that are over 40. I know some 40 year olds that go to ACen and have a great time.

I think he didn't really mean cosplays as much as he meant guests.

which thinking about it, it would suck to be a guy that goes for guests. Not saying there aren't boys that like lolita but...
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#33 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

^ Yeah... A lot of people are missing the point of this thread.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#34 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

How are we missing the point? What sort of guests would the Op like? Most series that 40+ fans may have watched have one small issue, several of the VAs are older and it might be hard for them to travel...and in at least Speed Racer's case, he passed on last year.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#35 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

^ Woah there. First of all, I wasn't referring to you because it seems you understand the point of this thread quite well. I was referring to linlindesu's original post of "I think he didn't really mean cosplays as much as he meant guests." A lot of people seem to think he's talking about every other aspect of the convention but that doesn't seem to be the case judging from his replies and that's what I meant by "a lot of people are missing the point"

A majority of the guests are fashion industry guests. And quoting the OP "I don't see fashion shows appealing to most guys over 40. "
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#36 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostGabichox, on 11 March 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

^ Woah there. First of all, I wasn't referring to you because it seems you understand the point of this thread quite well. I was referring to linlindesu's original post of "I think he didn't really mean cosplays as much as he meant guests." A lot of people seem to think he's talking about every other aspect of the convention but that doesn't seem to be the case judging from his replies and that's what I meant by "a lot of people are missing the point"

A majority of the guests are fashion industry guests. And quoting the OP "I don't see fashion shows appealing to most guys over 40. "

Oh I wasn't figuring you were refering to me, I was just asking in general how was the point being missed. (sorry if I came off as rude, it's late).

Again that brings up the point though of, what would interest a guy over 40 via the anime scene right now. Most VAs are in the late 20s to mid 30s. Some are a lot older, but voice for newer shows. People, like say, my uncle who probably fits in the catagory that the OP is suggesting, grew up with say, speed racer and such. While there are some of the VAs from that that are still alive, I'm not sure how many people would be drawn to a panel for a VA from a show that hasn't aired in a while.

A Fan panel would work I think, but I'm assuming that people might want more. Agreed that fashion guests might not interest older men over 40, at least some, some may find it interesting as a artistic statement, but I digress. So what would someone of that age range want to have or see?
:huh:

Pardon the Pause

#37 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 11 March 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Again that brings up the point though of, what would interest a guy over 40 via the anime scene right now.

Not Lolita. I mean, honestly. I doubt that there's more than five guys on the forums looking forward to a lolita fashion show.
And I'm not speaking out against fashion guests but holy moley
3?!
We have 2 american gaiz
1 musical guest
and 3 fashion designers.....
While I am not saying we won't be getting more people, if no one else is released before pre reg, then the con is just going to seem more marketable to younger girls this year.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#38 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 11 March 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

How are we missing the point? What sort of guests would the Op like? Most series that 40+ fans may have watched have one small issue, several of the VAs are older and it might be hard for them to travel...and in at least Speed Racer's case, he passed on last year.

People who made shows like Lupin, Project Ako, Macross, Dr.Slump. Orange Road, Hokuto no Ken. Japenese voice actors, animators etc.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#39 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Perhaps the OP has a point that it is not pure anime (and manga) anymore, but I think that ads to the richness and depth of the convention every year. Sure, I'd probably die and go to heaven if Yu Watase came, but in the same right Id freak out over Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy). The times are changing, and with it the con is changing. They try to give what they think we want. Remember the 'dont invite Vic' campaign last year? Sure enough he didn't come. (Though truthfully, I don't know whether it was because of that or not.) If you want to see someone, campaign for them! Get a following. There's no guareente that it will work, but who knows, you might be suprised.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#40 User is offline   kitsune red 

• ADA Compliance
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 36791

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

I find the statement that one doesn't see anything that appeals to someone over 40 very interesting. However I think it says more about the speaker them about people over 40.
I happen to be over 40. No I will not say how much over 40. I find people who go around saying what should or shouldn't appeal to someone over 40 or under 20 or any other age rather limiting and a bit boring. Why should people over 40 think any special way that is so very different from people of any other age or race or political point of view. It is thinking like that which puts limits and barriers between peoples.
As for anime I find 14 or 15 year olds saving the world I bit tiresome and would prefer to find more dealing with older more mature themes. I know some do, try Library Wars. However any well written and well thought out anime is still enjoyable.
I think age is in the mind of some as a limiting gage. We should all pursue anything that interests us as long as it is not harmful to others, or against the law. Why should we act our age, and not follow our interest. Why must we do something or not do something because we are too old or too mature or anything. If we appear foolish or such so what. What harm does it do. If it makes some feel better to laugh at us fine. That is their problem.

#41 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postkitsune red, on 12 March 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

I find the statement that one doesn't see anything that appeals to someone over 40 very interesting. However I think it says more about the speaker them about people over 40.
I happen to be over 40. No I will not say how much over 40. I find people who go around saying what should or shouldn't appeal to someone over 40 or under 20 or any other age rather limiting and a bit boring. Why should people over 40 think any special way that is so very different from people of any other age or race or political point of view. It is thinking like that which puts limits and barriers between peoples.
As for anime I find 14 or 15 year olds saving the world I bit tiresome and would prefer to find more dealing with older more mature themes. I know some do, try Library Wars. However any well written and well thought out anime is still enjoyable.
I think age is in the mind of some as a limiting gage. We should all pursue anything that interests us as long as it is not harmful to others, or against the law. Why should we act our age, and not follow our interest. Why must we do something or not do something because we are too old or too mature or anything. If we appear foolish or such so what. What harm does it do. If it makes some feel better to laugh at us fine. That is their problem.

THIS. I'm in the solid 30's and it really all does boil down to great characters we can see a slight reflection of ourselves in, great stories that we anticipate and a lot of effort from the artists, musicians and actors that put it all together. Age seriously doesn't matter. I enjoy LOTR and Casablanca. Old and new-it all is awesome if it resonates with people. Anime is a fantasic way of telling stories.
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#42 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Precisely.

I'm over 40. The shows optimus mentioned are from when I was first getting into anime, and I treasure them.

But they aren't the endpoint. There are so many good new shows! Why limit yourself? No matter what genre you like, there are good titles out there. Try new things! You won't like everything, but you're sure to like something unless you've closed yourself off entirely!
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#43 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postopimus.rm, on 11 March 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

People who made shows like Lupin, Project Ako, Macross, Dr.Slump. Orange Road, Hokuto no Ken. Japenese voice actors, animators etc.

Getting Monkey Punch might not be too hard, however while geting the Dub voices for A-ko to come wouldn't be that tricky (though they are from the Ocean's group) I'm not so sure about the creators. Also regarding Macross, which one would you want? There's a number of them. Then there's also the issue of age of the show. While most on the forums probably know what Orange road is, others might have no clue because it hasn't been rereleased and, given that companies want something Marketable (see Bleach, Death Note, etc) the question becomes if they will ever be released again. Then, there's the issue of...will this guest get enough people to want to come to the convention.

Having someone like Vic would, but someone like Peter Fernadez (rest his soul) may not get as many people to sign on.

Pardon the Pause

#44 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

funny thing is, most of the Anime I like, none of the "younger kids" have even heard of (Paradise Kiss, Rurouni Kenshin, Witch Hunter Robin, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc. etc etc). So it were "all about anime" ACen would probably appeal to me less and less. :)
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#45 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

View Postmyrla, on 12 March 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

funny thing is, most of the Anime I like, none of the "younger kids" have even heard of (Paradise Kiss, Rurouni Kenshin, Witch Hunter Robin, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc. etc etc). So it were "all about anime" ACen would probably appeal to me less and less. :)

I'm the same way. :)

I could go on for ages about Slayers, Iria: Zeraim the Animation, Armitage, Tenchi Muyo, et cetera. I think the last show I really sat down and watched was Lucky Star. I'm so out of the loop! I still manage to have fun at ACen every year I've gone though, despite not knowing much of any recent anime.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#46 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Now, if only there was some place where you could go to check out some of these new shows, to see if you like them! Some sort of rooms. Where you could watch anime. "Anime Viewing Rooms," as it were.... ;)
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#47 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11421

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm going to go ahead and reply here, even tho it's against my better judgement, lol
I've been seeing a lot "forum regulars" commenting here, if you will-so I wanted to throw in an opinion of a non-reg, so to speak.
First off, my age, I guess, since this has become about age. I'm 30. I've been going to conventions since I was 15 and I've been to most all of them (Comic-con, Anime Expo, PAX, Otakon, E3 etc.) As well as Anime Central every year since it's inception at the tiny little Ramada in Rosemont.
I've met some guest at cons that I will never forget meeting in all of my life. Meeting and conversing with Watase Yu, Hideki Anno, Tsukasa Kotobuki, Michael Turner, and Saito Chiho and Akamatsu Ken here at Acen are the moments that I shall never forget.
In my opinion, this is what Acen should be about. Moments that you feel so close to the anime industry (or whatever industry your con is-but in this case it *is* anime, sorry to say, guys) that they're almost life-changeing.
I do have to agree with the others like El Ken, that this convention, in recent years, hasn't had many anime guests that have appealed to me. These seems to be an influx of Fashion guests, & "focus on the party" etc, etc.
IF I had not gotten into lolita fashion this year, I have to admit, I would be severly dissapointed in the guests this year. :(
As it is, I as super-excited about getting to see Maki and Asuka, but I do wonder how many of the male or non-fashion fans will enjoy it as much.
Acen 2000/2001 will always be my favorite years in terms of guests-I hope that one day Acen will be able to get back to that.
Regardless, Acen is really about what you, the organizers and guests make it-so if you don't want to cater the the industry's fans then prehaps the word "Anime" shouldn't exist in the title of the convention.
lol, sorry for the wall of text, but I had to get my opinion out there. :unsure:

This post has been edited by Chunlichan: 12 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

ACen 2014 Cosplay/lolita list
TBD!

#48 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostChunlichan, on 12 March 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I'm going to go ahead and reply here, even tho it's against my better judgement, lol
I've been seeing a lot "forum regulars" commenting here, if you will-so I wanted to throw in an opinion of a non-reg, so to speak.
First off, my age, I guess, since this has become about age. I'm 30. I've been going to conventions since I was 15 and I've been to most all of them (Comic-con, Anime Expo, PAX, Otakon, E3 etc.) As well as Anime Central every year since it's inception at the tiny little Ramada in Rosemont.
I've met some guest at cons that I will never forget meeting in all of my life. Meeting and conversing with Watase Yu, Hideki Anno, Tsukasa Kotobuki, Michael Turner, and Saito Chiho and Akamatsu Ken here at Acen are the moments that I shall never forget.
In my opinion, this is what Acen should be about. Moments that you feel so close to the anime industry (or whatever industry your con is-but in this case it *is* anime, sorry to say, guys) that they're almost life-changeing.
I do have to agree with the others like El Ken, that this convention, in recent years, hasn't had many anime guests that have appealed to me. These seems to be an influx of Fashion guests, & "focus on the party" etc, etc.
IF I had not gotten into lolita fashion this year, I have to admit, I would be severly dissapointed in the guests this year. :(
As it is, I as super-excited about getting to see Maki and Asuka, but I do wonder how many of the male or non-fashion fans will enjoy it as much.
Acen 2000/2001 will always be my favorite years in terms of guests-I hope that one day Acen will be able to get back to that.
Regardless, Acen is really about what you, the organizers and guests make it-so if you don't want to cater the the industry's fans then prehaps the word "Anime" shouldn't exist in the title of the convention.
lol, sorry for the wall of text, but I had to get my opinion out there. :unsure:

^This! I agree 100%! It isn't ANIME Central anymore and it's disappointing. There's some anime, but it doesn't seem to be the focus anymore. I understand it doesn't need to be 100% anime, but it doesn't feel like an anime con anymore. Maybe ACen should be called Entertainment Central instead.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#49 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostLina, on 12 March 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

^This! I agree 100%! It isn't ANIME Central anymore and it's disappointing. There's some anime, but it doesn't seem to be the focus anymore. I understand it doesn't need to be 100% anime, but it doesn't feel like an anime con anymore. Maybe ACen should be called Entertainment Central instead.

I would have to disagree, just a bit. There may have been a bit of a disconnect in past years, but as of late we are reviving some of the practices that have been overlooked. This year in fact we have restricted the type of panels that are accepted, so that they would be more geared toward Anime and our mission statement as an educational organization rather than pop culture phenomenons. We have also taken a particular interest in improving on some of the more interesting aspects of the convention, but I don't want to spoil the surprises awaiting the people attending this year ;) Posted Image In fact I would have to say I actually disagree 100%, and I am not saying that as a staffer, but as someone who is trained and makes a living on assessments and evaluations. It could be a matter of where people look though, so I wouldn't say anyone is wrong, just that I disagree that much with the pov that it isn't ANIME Central anymore. So I guess it's a matter of perspective Posted Image.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#50 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

A lot of what's happening in some cases is due to a slight, downturn in a lot of anime being sold physically in the US. It used to be I would go into Bestbuy and there would be several shelves of Anime there, now I'm lucky if I see one big group. Consiquently on TV there's been a downturn there too (Recall Toonami, and several other tv shows), now Adult swim only has a handful of shows airing at a less then steller time on Saturday night. Couple that with various cable compnaies choosing to charage more, and most of the people that used to watch turning to the net to get their fix, Anime, while still huge is not getting all that it deserves because more and more are relying on websites to deliver where tv can't.

But I do see Anime being still a vital part of Acen. Look at the cosplayers, nearly 100% of them are a form of anime. Yes we do have the non anime here and there, and the video game characters. I have to agree with Josh, there is anime shown here, almost all the panels that are non guest have some form of anime related to it. (See the Professor Layton movie, or Devil May cry the Animation.) As for guests, that's something I can only guess on. From what I've been able to peice together, it sounds like the group that used to do it left after a certain time, other people tried to replace then, and it's only recently that more vocal heads, like EL Ken, have stepped up and are actively trying to restore the glory to Acen. At least that's what I'm seeing. :0:

@Voltaire30: Agree 100%, It's been getting better, but it takes time. (Plus consider the economy too)

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 12 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Pardon the Pause

#51 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 12 March 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

But I do see Anime being still a vital part of Acen. Look at the cosplayers, nearly 100% of them are a form of anime. Yes we do have the non anime here and there, and the video game characters. I have to agree with Josh, there is anime shown here, almost all the panels that are non guest have some form of anime related to it. (See the Professor Layton movie, or Devil May cry the Animation.) As for guests, that's something I can only guess on. From what I've been able to peice together, it sounds like the group that used to do it left after a certain time, other people tried to replace then, and it's only recently that more vocal heads, like EL Ken, have stepped up and are actively trying to restore the glory to Acen. At least that's what I'm seeing. :0:

Why do you keep going on about cosplayers? I don't care about anything other than the lack of guests. The panels, for crying out loud, are up to the fans to make, so that's not an issue with me either.
The guests are lacking. I'm not talking about anything else here.
Go check the guests. Do you see one international guest having anything to do with anime? Like, directors, seiyuu, or artists? No, didn't think so.
Sorry I don't mean to come off as rude, I just don't think you are getting the point.
TBD!

#52 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

View PostChunlichan, on 12 March 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Why do you keep going on about cosplayers? I don't care about anything other than the lack of guests. The panels, for crying out loud, are up to the fans to make, so that's not an issue with me either.
The guests are lacking. I'm not talking about anything else here.
Go check the guests. Do you see one international guest having anything to do with anime? Like, directors, seiyuu, or artists? No, didn't think so.
Sorry I don't mean to come off as rude, I just don't think you are getting the point.

Sorry but what you are talking about / doing isn't a discussion or a question. It is a gripe, and may be better served in the Gripes section or posting in the GR section to try and get an answer(s). I, along with others understand that you care, and possibly care very deeply (as do a lot of other people), but this particular part of the forums isn't really the place for it. My Apologies.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#53 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 13 March 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Sorry but what you are talking about / doing isn't a discussion or a question. It is a gripe, and may be better served in the Gripes section or posting in the GR section to try and get an answer(s). I, along with others understand that you care, and possibly care very deeply (as do a lot of other people), but this particular part of the forums isn't really the place for it. My Apologies.

B-but I didn't start this thread...I was just commenting in it O_o
It's okay, I'll just leave it be then.
I apologize as well, I didn't mean to offend...

This post has been edited by Chunlichan: 13 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

TBD!

#54 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

The hot dog segment is sorely lacking.

Aside from that, I do tend to agree that the primary focus has definitely shied away from anime/manga and pretty much has turned more into a Japan/Get Yer Party On Con than anything else. Then again, tastes have changed as well and the numbers don't lie. If it gets to a point where the con isn't for you anymore, then moving on is your best bet. ACEN will never be like it was however many years you want to go back.

Keep Calm and Brony On

This post has been edited by rondo: 13 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

#55 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

Theres only one con that I know of that focuses exclusively on anime and thats Anime Punch. Every other anime convention in America focuses on other fandoms to at least some degree.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#56 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 13 March 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Theres only one con that I know of that focuses exclusively on anime and thats Anime Punch. Every other anime convention in America focuses on other fandoms to at least some degree.

Looking forward to Revo as well. Should be quite interesting.

#57 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 13 March 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

If I may suggest, you may get better advertising potential from posting in our sub-forum category specifically geared for advertising other conventions, especially being their convention chair. Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostChunlichan, on 13 March 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

No no offense taken. I realized that my post sounded a bit, heavy, when that wasn't the intent. Sorry >_<

#58 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostChunlichan, on 13 March 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

You're not offending, but the thing is that, while I do get you're not happy with the lack of guests, my contention is that there's a lot more offered then just Guests. Yes there is a lack of Japanese guests, yes that is a problem, yes it's not a good thing to have "no" seiyuus as of this point and time. But I'm waiting to see if Ken and his crew can get some people to come. Also the fact is that, while Anime VAs are essencial, so are other aspects of anime and the culture.

I understand that you didn't mean to come off as rude, but I can see your point. I went on about the cosplay and other aspects because that's part of the con too. Yes seeing a Voice Actor is great, but to me, I get tired of having...and forgive my phrasing here, "fangirls and fanguys" asking them the same questions over and over about saying a favorite line, or "Will you marry me," bit that gets really old. Honestly I would prefer it if questions could be more like, "You played so and so on this show, as an actor how did you feel the psycological aspects of the character are?" or "Do you think as an actor that Anime is changing and becomeing more global? Do you think that that means there will be less or mor specialized work for actors in your feild?"

Yes this is a chance for fans to meet the actors, and I suppose this should go in the gripes area so I will stop there by adding, but could there please be some diversity in the asking of questions. Please!

On topic: I would think that maybe next year, in lieu of this, maybe have a mix of older VAs and younger ones? Also maybe tailor some events to the older fans? Or, as segregated as this sounds, tailor a panel or so for the older male anime fans?

Pardon the Pause

#59 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on 13 March 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

If I may suggest, you may get better advertising potential from posting in our sub-forum category specifically geared for advertising other conventions, especially being their convention chair. Posted ImagePosted Image

lol, hey, gotta drop that name whenever I can. Can't blame a guy for trying, right? Plus, being a specialized event already does not do good things for our numbers, so if we can find someone who is just into it, all the better. We're the event that if you are into, you're really into, but we're also just not some people's thing.

This post has been edited by FlyingElf: 14 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#60 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostUnka Josh, on 12 March 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Now, if only there was some place where you could go to check out some of these new shows, to see if you like them! Some sort of rooms. Where you could watch anime. "Anime Viewing Rooms," as it were.... ;)

To be honest, I barely make it to any panels aside from the one I'm on, because I'm too busy going to photoshoots and cosplaying. I have no problems renting Anime - and I never said I didn't watch any of the new stuff. It just doesn't appeal to me. It's not my thing. :)
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users