Anime Central Forums: Convention-themed visual novel in the works - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Convention-themed visual novel in the works

#1 User is offline   Shotgun Ninja 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60357

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

So hey, I'm about to be a second-year ACen attendee, and I've been inspired by the sudden upsurge in popularity of OELVNs brought around by Katawa Shoujo, so I figured that I'd make a visual novel of my own.

My idea was to have an anime-convention-themed VN/dating sim, based off of the experiences and stories that my friends and I have gathered at ACen, Geek-Kon, and Anime Milwaukee.

I was wondering if it might be okay to make use of some of the ACen planning materials (eg. the panel programming schedules, some of the layouts or events in premise only, but nothing specific enough to be copyright-infringing) to help in the construction of the visual novel. Since it takes place at an anime convention, why not use a real anime convention for inspiration and realistic reference, right?

This goes for the guests and visitors, as well: If you have an interesting or fun story, post it below, or PM me here on the forums. I have a little bit planned already in terms of character design and general paths, but supporting characters, events, and whatnot are mostly going to be taken from "con stories" that I hear. If you have something you want thrown in during this phase, or you have some skills and would like to help out, then please let me know, and I'll see what I can do. Keep in mind, I don't plan on accepting everyone, and I'd like to have people who are versatile, open-minded, skilled, dedicated, and passionate about their work.

#2 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Shotgun Ninja, are you currently active on the Lemma Soft forums? If not, then I recommend joining. It's one of the best forums for people who are trying to create western visual novels and similar games. You should be able to get feedback and assistance.

Keep in mind that getting ideas and inspiration is easy. Actually getting the writing done, and then testing for bugs... that's difficult. Writing takes time, patience, and dedication.

(One little aside... back in 2008, Hinano created a freeware story called Renai Blogger. A good portion of the VN takes place before or during a fan convention in New York. And there's a French VN from a year ago called Anamnesis, which has quite a bit to do with cons.)

#3 User is offline   Shotgun Ninja 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60357

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

Wow, thank you for those references. I did a little digging before moving on with my idea, and I never would have found those. Having them in mind gives me something to look at in terms of what was done wrong and what could be improved on, and how my game can draw from and differ from those. I don't want to be accused of doing anything without recognizing the work of those who came before me, and I would like to pay respect to them in my work in a tasteful way.

That said, I have produced a short Game Design Document which covers my pitch and the goals for the game. A public, read-only version is visible here: https://docs.google....KWvhgRaUac/edit

#4 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

A whole month has passed. How have writing and coding been going?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users