Anime Central Forums: Are you considering this your last year at ACen? - Anime Central Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Are you considering this your last year at ACen? Just curious

Poll: Are you considering this your last year at ACen? (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Will this be your last year at ACen?

1. Yes (13 votes [10.32%])

Percentage of vote: 10.32%

2. No (79 votes [62.70%])

Percentage of vote: 62.70%

3. Thinking about it (34 votes [26.98%])

Percentage of vote: 26.98%

Vote

#61 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 01 March 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

And here's another thing, badge prices might also be going up as inflation rises in the country. Things every year get more expensive, including ACEN badges, guests, cleaning hotels, employee wages and ACEN has to pay for all that, and as it gets higher and higher, it's harder to get awesome super cool things. And with us being non-for profit, that makes it even harder. In general a lot of non for profit organizations are struggling because of lack of funding. I would not be surprised if ACEN is struggling with funds as well. Now yeah some cons get "better" guests but some are corporate funded or they could be smaller. A smaller con doesn't need as much space for people which in a way makes things cheaper. KollisionCon was itty bitty, so it was cheaper. When it comes to other popular cons like Youmacon it's about 14,000 people at the most (thank you wiki and random forum posts guesstimating this number) ACEN as least 6,000+ more people than Youma--more people that can destroy a hotel, ruin things and cause chaos.

And I would be fine with that if the con said "We needed to up the cost due to inflation or supply or etc." But they don't. they blame the attendees for it. Look at all the threads made every year after the convention saying "badge prices will up up because of such and such" It is rarely inflation or that a magical , awesome guest will be attending.

I just recently discovered Anime Expo is also a non profit. My mind= blown.

If it was just their short comings, I think people may be less angry or cynical. But Acen refuses to own up to anything, to be transparent as Chained_by_roses stated. And they need to be to gain that trust.

TO ANY MAPS OFFICIAL OR HIGHER UP READING THIS THREAD ( if you even read the forums)
Please, tell us why. Explain things. Stop telling us to trust so blindly. You won't lose those on the fence if you just tell the truth. It could be that things fell through with many planned guests. It could be that funds were shorter than you thought. It could be that you were too busy. It could be that you were too lazy.

Just say something, anything, truthfully.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#62 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 01 March 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

False. ACen is in Rosemont, IL. Rosemont is not part of Chicago and thus not subject to Chicago's taxes.

It is in the same county as Chicago (Cook County), so it is possible that Rosemont is affected by some of Chicago's taxes.

As far those that are getting burned out with the con, might I suggest joining staff? I've been having a lot more fun at the con since I joined staff.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#63 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 01 March 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I have always lived by the line "The world is what you make of it.", and as such to a large degree I feel that the Con is what you make of it. In my 10 years I have never at any point had nothing to do or had a bad time. Musical guest isn't someone I like? Good thing there are panels that sound interesting. Autograph line too long? I'll just play in an awesome video game tournament. Every year one facet of ACen may be lacking but that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other things to do that are done well. And this is all without mentioning the number one reason to go these conventions; the other fans. I can(and have, and will again) spend hours just walking around meeting cool people and having great conversations of getting into wacky hi-jinks. Sure late night might get a little "colorful" but that is every convention and is just another part of it to me.

Now if you go to conventions just for the sake of meeting guests then I can understand being disappointed, but at the same time I feel like you are missing out on 75% of the convention experience. Voicing opinions on what could be improved is great but I think far too many people focus on the negative and don't acknowledge the things that went well or what you had fun doing. I literally cannot imagine anyone showing up and having no fun at all over the 3 days.

So I've always had a great time and I will continue to have a great time, and I hope all of you guys do too.

While Guests are important to me, I have gone for friends and the dealers room as well. I do enjoy panels, but it really depends. I am still frustrated that my Venture Bros. panel isn't accepted because it's not related to the con yet Homestuck is because web comic people are in the artist alley/dealers room, but that's just my beef with ACen even though some people agree with me. Anyways, I usually go to guest panels, but if there are no guests, then there are no guest panels and there aren't many panels that interest me. I don't usually go to the video game room and I'll sometimes go to late night viewings to make fun of the really bad hentai. I usually just wander around and go to photoshoots and look at stuff in the dealers room. I'm looking to add more Oreimo stuff, specifically Kirino, to my collection, but I don't find much at cons. I do love to shop in general, but I can go to dealers room at other cons. The stuff that I usually do, I can do at other cons and feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Youma and Kollision are definitely better conventions than ACen. Kollision is smaller, but it has a nice intimate feel to it. I love that I can just talk to guests when they're just chillin'. They aren't being rushed to go from one panel to another and I love that. I feel that I have developed a small friendship with two them. They recognized me from the first year and they even respond to my messages and facebook posts too! At Youma, I have become acquaintances with some of their guests and best friends with one of them. With ACen, I can't get to know the guests. I do love meeting the guests there, but I love the intimacy of the smaller cons and because guests are important to me, going to the smaller ones is better for me because I can develop a relationship/friendship with them.

TL;DR: I can do a lot of the stuff I want to do at other cons where I feel I get my money's worth. I can see guests, go to panels, meet guests, hang out with friends, etc. at other cons.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#64 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postkahad, on 01 March 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

It is in the same county as Chicago (Cook County), so it is possible that Rosemont is affected by some of Chicago's taxes.

As far those that are getting burned out with the con, might I suggest joining staff? I've been having a lot more fun at the con since I joined staff.

I wouldn't mind joining staff for a con which attracts a crowd that I actually wouldn't hate dealing with. (Kollision, Ramencon, etc) :D

View PostLina, on 01 March 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

While Guests are important to me, I have gone for friends and the dealers room as well. I do enjoy panels, but it really depends. I am still frustrated that my Venture Bros. panel isn't accepted because it's not related to the con yet Homestuck is because web comic people are in the artist alley/dealers room, but that's just my beef with ACen even though some people agree with me. Anyways, I usually go to guest panels, but if there are no guests, then there are no guest panels and there aren't many panels that interest me. I don't usually go to the video game room and I'll sometimes go to late night viewings to make fun of the really bad hentai. I usually just wander around and go to photoshoots and look at stuff in the dealers room. I'm looking to add more Oreimo stuff, specifically Kirino, to my collection, but I don't find much at cons. I do love to shop in general, but I can go to dealers room at other cons. The stuff that I usually do, I can do at other cons and feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Youma and Kollision are definitely better conventions than ACen. Kollision is smaller, but it has a nice intimate feel to it. I love that I can just talk to guests when they're just chillin'. They aren't being rushed to go from one panel to another and I love that. I feel that I have developed a small friendship with two them. They recognized me from the first year and they even respond to my messages and facebook posts too! At Youma, I have become acquaintances with some of their guests and best friends with one of them. With ACen, I can't get to know the guests. I do love meeting the guests there, but I love the intimacy of the smaller cons and because guests are important to me, going to the smaller ones is better for me because I can develop a relationship/friendship with them.

TL;DR: I can do a lot of the stuff I want to do at other cons where I feel I get my money's worth. I can see guests, go to panels, meet guests, hang out with friends, etc. at other cons.

^ ths. Thill of Ais. ^
^ This. All of this. ^
^ Thf thi. isl oAls. ^

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 01 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#65 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 March 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

And I would be fine with that if the con said "We needed to up the cost due to inflation or supply or etc." But they don't. they blame the attendees for it. Look at all the threads made every year after the convention saying "badge prices will up up because of such and such" It is rarely inflation or that a magical , awesome guest will be attending.

I just recently discovered Anime Expo is also a non profit. My mind= blown.

If it was just their short comings, I think people may be less angry or cynical. But Acen refuses to own up to anything, to be transparent as Chained_by_roses stated. And they need to be to gain that trust.

TO ANY MAPS OFFICIAL OR HIGHER UP READING THIS THREAD ( if you even read the forums)
Please, tell us why. Explain things. Stop telling us to trust so blindly. You won't lose those on the fence if you just tell the truth. It could be that things fell through with many planned guests. It could be that funds were shorter than you thought. It could be that you were too busy. It could be that you were too lazy.

Just say something, anything, truthfully.

NO WAY! AX is non for profit! Wow, like you my mind has been blown. *_*

Though I do agree with your last paragraph, instead of us speculating and posting here--it would be nice to hear why things are happening the way they are. It would be nice if they kept us out of the dark with things. Maybe it's embarrassment that they keep us in the dark? Probably unlikely but it's worth a shot, since we're in the dark on somethings like this anyway lol. But maybe it's because of the huge fanbase they do not want to risk losing people or something by owning up to something? I just pulled that out of my shoe, but it could work....
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#66 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 01 March 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind joining staff for a con which attracts a crowd that I actually wouldn't hate dealing with. (Kollision, Ramencon, etc) :D

^This! Completely agree! I staff at YoumaCon, this year will be my 4th year as a staff member, and I love the people I work with. I have not really had any problems with my fellow attendees at Youma either. Too bad I can't say the same thing about ACen.

This post has been edited by Lina: 01 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#67 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

"Going to ACen and paying for a badge is like getting an Xbox Live Gold account. Yeah, it's overpriced, you're paying for something which is at best up-to-par with free services like Steam and PSN, and the people you encounter are largely more obnoxious than the crowd you'd play with in those other services, but hey, your friends have Xbox Live Gold, and you want to play with them, so you'd best keep it." -Me.

Seriously. If my friends all stopped going, I'd stop. But they go because their friends go, and so forth. I wish they'd all go to something better (and local, even!) like Kollision Con, but... Have to keep that ACen Live Gold account, I guess. Sadly, as much as I'm only being part of the problem in saying this... It's the one yearly event where I get to see most of my out-of-state friends. #viciouscycle

Dear Friends: (You know who you are)
Why do you keep settling for ACen year after year? You know I can't resist going to see you guys, and I'm sure there are other people who only go to see you and their friends alike. Can't we all just sort of... migrate? To another con, perhaps...? Settling is a bad thing, you know. Please stop settling, because as long as you do, I'll continue to settle for ACen as well. We all deserve better. The time I spend in the dealer's room? Mostly just window-shopping for things I plan to buy on eBay the Monday after ACen. The time I spend in the video gaming room? Just killing time. The times I went to a panel and actually stuck around? It was to support those of you who presented them. The times I entered the masquerade? Just trying to make the best of this POS. The times I went to room parties and drank? That was me trying to pretend I wasn't at ACen.

Spoiler

View PostLina, on 01 March 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

I staff at YoumaCon, this year will be my 4th year as a staff member, and I love the people I work with. I have not really had any problems with my fellow attendees at Youma either. Too bad I can't say the same thing about ACen.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 01 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

#68 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Do you guys know how you could solve all of your problems with Acen? Do you know how all of your qualms and complaints could disappear?

If you stopped going, that's how.

"BUT MY FRIENDS STILL GO!"

"BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GIVE UP ON SOMETHING I ONCE LOVED JUST BECAUSE IT MUTATED INTO SOMETHING I NOW HATE!"

"BUT MY OPINION MATTERS, AND IF THE ACEN HIGHER-UPS WOULD JUST LISTEN, EVERYTHING WOULD GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS, BACK WHEN ACEN WAS PERFECT!"

Yeah, no. Just... Just, no. No.

None of the things that you people want to happen are going to happen, and none of the things that you people want to stop happening are going to stop happening. If you don't like the crowd that goes to Acen now, don't go. If you don't like the guests that Acen books (or doesn't book), then don't go. If you miss the halcyon days of your youth, when Acen was fresh and different and "PEOPLE REALLY CARED ABOUT ANIME AND MANGA BACK THEN" well, welcome to being an adult. Things change; usually for the worse. Complaining on a f***king message board isn't going to solve anything. Your suggestions will never be heeded if they're just words on a thread that will die in a matter of days. Join staff if you really want to affect positive change. For the vast majority of us, this con rocks, and like Magishine said, I've been going since 2002 and I've never not had an awesome time. If that isn't the case for you, then stop showing up. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you will not be missed (despite the fact that some of you seem to enjoy thinking that you certainly will be). Acen has grown each year that it has existed, and the absence of your presence(s) will be nothing more than a drop of water removed from a swimming pool.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but c'mon folks. There's already a thread called "Gripes" and there's already a thread complaining about the lack of guest announcements thus-far. What are we doing here in this thread? I literally cannot stomach one more post that reads thus:

"I'm so sick of Acen, the guests are terrible and it's become a party con full of drunk idiots."

If that's really how you feel, please allow me to show you the f***ing door. You've all named numerous other cons that you're happy to throw your money at, so please just go do that, and proceed to pointlessly complain on their message boards.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#69 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Here here. If ACen really was that terrible they wouldn't increase attendance every year and be one of the largest cons in the country. The people complaining are the vocal minority and I completely agree that if you really are that fed up then vote with your dollars and go elsewhere.
All systems... GO!

#70 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 01 March 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

a drop of water removed from a swimming pool.
What swimming pool? The Hyatt hasn't had a swimming pool in almost a decade! :P

But, to bid you a serious response: Acen's crowd has expanded. Acen hasn't expanded enough to keep up with it. Parasitically expanding their programming into hotels that are across the street isn't the answer. Expanding fully into the Convention Center is the only true long-term solution, sans complete relocation to god-knows-where.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 01 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

#71 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

YoungBirdCall, good job there. You took a thread that today has started to have decent ideas floating around and you have just simplified it to "acen doesn't care but it still rocks profanity profanity"

People here have been complained but for every complaint there has been a suggestion.

People who keep posting here ( around 90% of them) actually care enough to suggest things

I don't mind if you disagree with me , just do so AFTER reading and understanding the entire thread because all of your arguments were already discussed.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#72 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 01 March 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Do you guys know how you could solve all of your problems with Acen? Do you know how all of your qualms and complaints could disappear?

If you stopped going, that's how.

"BUT MY FRIENDS STILL GO!"

"BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GIVE UP ON SOMETHING I ONCE LOVED JUST BECAUSE IT MUTATED INTO SOMETHING I NOW HATE!"

"BUT MY OPINION MATTERS, AND IF THE ACEN HIGHER-UPS WOULD JUST LISTEN, EVERYTHING WOULD GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS, BACK WHEN ACEN WAS PERFECT!"

Yeah, no. Just... Just, no. No.

None of the things that you people want to happen are going to happen, and none of the things that you people want to stop happening are going to stop happening. If you don't like the crowd that goes to Acen now, don't go. If you don't like the guests that Acen books (or doesn't book), then don't go. If you miss the halcyon days of your youth, when Acen was fresh and different and "PEOPLE REALLY CARED ABOUT ANIME AND MANGA BACK THEN" well, welcome to being an adult. Things change; usually for the worse. Complaining on a f***king message board isn't going to solve anything. Your suggestions will never be heeded if they're just words on a thread that will die in a matter of days. Join staff if you really want to affect positive change. For the vast majority of us, this con rocks, and like Magishine said, I've been going since 2002 and I've never not had an awesome time. If that isn't the case for you, then stop showing up. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you will not be missed (despite the fact that some of you seem to enjoy thinking that you certainly will be). Acen has grown each year that it has existed, and the absence of your presence(s) will be nothing more than a drop of water removed from a swimming pool.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but c'mon folks. There's already a thread called "Gripes" and there's already a thread complaining about the lack of guest announcements thus-far. What are we doing here in this thread? I literally cannot stomach one more post that reads thus:

"I'm so sick of Acen, the guests are terrible and it's become a party con full of drunk idiots."

If that's really how you feel, please allow me to show you the f***ing door. You've all named numerous other cons that you're happy to throw your money at, so please just go do that, and proceed to pointlessly complain on their message boards.

Calm down dude, Its a thread for weather people want to come here still or go else where. Discussing pros and cons about the con. The people probably are in the same boat as me thinking I only want to go because of my friends that are there, While you have only attended 1 year yourself. Most of us if not all of us have been here for year(s). So just slow your roll calm down. Get a snack and relax were not trying to ruin anyones day.

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 01 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#73 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

This may be necroing just a bit, but I will say I have to agree with Felf, the guy is usually on the ball about what he talks about. It's not just miscreant jerko drunks who can't control themselves that ruin property, it is also moronic cosplayers who don't know how to behave, and even just normal attendees who do neither, they just find it fun in acting like a complete dip. No one single group is to blame for the destruction, and I unfortunately don't have any suggestions on how to fix it, maybe just more staff posted about in areas that ARE notorious for damage to keep an eye out.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#74 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

every active hotel, tiny staff station with link to IRT. would be so much easier to possibly prevent damage or just getting it reported and investigated in a timely manner.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#75 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 March 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

YoungBirdCall, good job there. You took a thread that today has started to have decent ideas floating around and you have just simplified it to "acen doesn't care but it still rocks profanity profanity"

People here have been complained but for every complaint there has been a suggestion.

People who keep posting here ( around 90% of them) actually care enough to suggest things

I don't mind if you disagree with me , just do so AFTER reading and understanding the entire thread because all of your arguments were already discussed.

Oh, please trust me when I say that I've read this entire thread.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#76 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 01 March 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Oh, please trust me when I say that I've read this entire thread.

I dunno bro, we're talking about brainstorming and civil things and you come out swinging.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#77 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'll gladly take my money elsewhere. I will go to a con where I won't be treated like crap by both staff and attendees.
ACen '14 Cosplay

#78 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

ive decided im not going to go, and probably wont return. of course that doesnt mean no more cons for me
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#79 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 March 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

every active hotel, tiny staff station with link to IRT. would be so much easier to possibly prevent damage or just getting it reported and investigated in a timely manner.

The problem with this is, IRT is volunteer run and from what I hear, understaffed (is it true that half of IRT quit the week before the con last year? That's what I heard, anyways...). In a perfect world, not only would there be at least one IRT mini-station in every hotel related to the Con, there would also be two IRT members in each elevator, at least in the Hyatt, making sure that they don't get over-packed. But that requires bodies that, right now, at least, it seems like we don't have (which is part of the reason why, when I try to volunteer next year, I'm aiming for either IRT or Reg ><).

Perhaps what the convention should consider doing is putting a little advertisement in the program; something along the lines of "Did you have fun this year? Want to be more involved? Join staff! Here's how..." (If they already do this and I just didn't notice, then derp on my part ><). Maybe even make the "Voluneer" button on the website a bit more noticeable rather than putting it at the bottom of a drop-down menu. The reality is, there may be a bunch of people interested in working for the con that just have no idea how. There may also be people who are interested, but think it's too late to volunteer, so maybe being a bit clearer about deadlines would help too.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#80 User is offline   kahad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

IRT seems to be constatly understaffed. Every year, I hear stories about some IRT members having to be treated by the EMT because they went too long without sleep.

#81 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

:was gonna post something but its gone now...:

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 01 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

ACen 15"

#82 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 01 March 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I dunno bro, we're talking about brainstorming and civil things and you come out swinging.

I'm not your bro, guy.

And who was brainstorming? This thread was clearly created to "show" the Acen staff that the "REAL ACEN FAITHFUL" just ain't gonna stand for these atrocities no more! Give me a break. The suggestions you mentioned (many of them were less "suggestions" and more "weak-kneed musings") didn't come until after many, many comments decrying Acen, its staff, and its attendees. But to make a thread where all of you threaten to pick up your toys and leave if things don't change? Who cares? Do you really think anyone cares about 15-25 entitled, spoiled otaku who long for something that will never return? Please, enough with the melodrama.

I get that people are upset that more guests haven't been announced yet, but again, there's already a thread for that. I get that people are upset about other issues, but again, there's already a thread for that, and many of the same people posting here have already posted these same concerns on the aforementioned Gripes thread. The fact that none of said complaints have been addressed by staff should prove to all of you that posting complaints on a message board isn't going to change anything (this fact should really be obvious without that sort of reinforcement, but here we are).

Furthermore, many of the issues broached in this thread were then addressed reasonably by people like FlyingElf, Magishine, Kaay-Chan, GITS SAC Motoko, Xenoblade and TheStrongJaeger, among others. Yet all of their remarks that were to the effect of: "Stop complaining on a message board and actually join the staff if you want to affect positive change" have been met with nothing but "I was already on staff, it didn't help;" and "the staff is the problem;" and "I'm too busy to join the staff." If that's the case, then fine, and if some of you are unhappy with Acen, then fine, but you're the (extremely) vocal minority (as evidenced by the fact that the con is growing steadily with each subsequent year), and complaining on this message board literally will not solve one single problem. And since you guys seem to have many, many problems with Acen, you should stop going, because you're only going to continue to be disappointed.

#83 User is offline   kahad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

<Sprays troll be gone.>

<Summons the mods.>

#84 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

I staffed ACen.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#85 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

well this sure is the first time ive seen something like this on the forums in as long as ive been here.... *Does the Mod dance*
ACen 15"

#86 User is offline   DarkBebi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58893

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

not going to quote, but you sir just made my week, the most I laughed, omg, just thinking about it is making me starting to cry.
Acen 2013 Cosplay

League of Legends

[*]Head Hunter Master Yi [0% Complete]
[*]Darkforge Jarvan IV [0% Complete]

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#87 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

No.
ACen 15"

#88 User is offline   kahad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

*Fixes yukkureimu's Caps lock.>

#89 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Kids these days. Back in my day we marched 15 miles up hill both ways in the snow to get to ACen. AND WE LIKED IT.
All systems... GO!

#90 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think his caps lock is stuck. :P
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users