Anime Central Forums: Are you considering this your last year at ACen? - Anime Central Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Are you considering this your last year at ACen? Just curious

Poll: Are you considering this your last year at ACen? (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Will this be your last year at ACen?

1. Yes (13 votes [10.32%])

Percentage of vote: 10.32%

2. No (79 votes [62.70%])

Percentage of vote: 62.70%

3. Thinking about it (34 votes [26.98%])

Percentage of vote: 26.98%

Vote

#1 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

With the way guest announcements and all have been handled among other things, I am just wondering how many people are considering 2012 being their last year at this con. I personally don't see why the prices keep going up but the things we get are going down.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#2 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

I feel like a lot of cons are popping up in the area because people are getting sick of Acen's nonsense. It has a lot of promise if someone would just take the helm and steer closer to decency instead of the $50 Party con it has become.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#3 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

This is absolutely my last year. This is my 10th year and I'm done. Youma has my heart now. They announced 5 guests tonight and are announcing some more over the weekend and the con is 8 months away. C2E2 has a ton of guests and it's two weeks before ACen. I also plan on going to SDCC this year thanks to a friend who has helped make the trip much more affordable and JemCon is close enough for me to go to. I look forward to those cons much more than ACen. Also, there's going to be an MLP con called Midwestria and I will be going to that when that happens.
ACen '12 Cosplays
Fluttershy [MLP: FiM] [90%], Rarity [MLP: FiM] [95%]
'12 Cons: C2E2, ACen, Midwestria [Staff], JemCon, YoumaCon [Video Programming Staff]
Acen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostLina, on 29 February 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

This is absolutely my last year. This is my 10th year and I'm done. Youma has my heart now. They announced 5 guests tonight and are announcing some more over the weekend and the con is 8 months away. C2E2 has a ton of guests and it's two weeks before ACen. I also plan on going to SDCC this year thanks to a friend who has helped make the trip much more affordable and JemCon is close enough for me to go to. I look forward to those cons much more than ACen. Also, there's going to be an MLP con called Midwestria and I will be going to that when that happens.

I wish I could go to Youma but sadly it's too far and I can't afford to be by myself nor do I have people I trust 100% to help me out towards a trip towards Michigan.

For me I'm not sure. I don't agree with OP's post. They said the same thing about AX and how it's a lame con full of party goers, quote unquote, but people still go to the convention and it even had Miku concerts.

The problem is that many of the cons you need a car, which I don't have access to as well as a lot of other people, or you need to know someone who knows the area or live in said area. Not too many people want to go to other cities by themselves.

The badges? I have no issue with that. Some places are 65 and so but they are kind of high in my opinion, but with rising cost of everything it's understandable.

If I find another, cheaper, better convention then maybe. The hotel costs are getting really bad as the years go on and personal issues might have me cutting out this yearly convention habit.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 29 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 29 February 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

For me I'm not sure. I don't agree with OP's post. They said the same thing about AX and how it's a lame con full of party goers, quote unquote, but people still go to the convention and it even had Miku concerts.

tru fax : minus travel , Anime Expo is cheaper than Acen
tru fax : Anime Expo DELIVERS GUESTS EVERY SINGLE YEAR. No one is saying it is a lame con. They deliver. they can party if they want. It is cons that cost x amount and deliver nothing at all that deserve criticism.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#6 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

It's odd that I see this topic pop up right now.

At a time in my life when things are coming together and emotions ruin my fun times, questioning if 2012 is my last Anime Central is more reality than ever before. Admittedly I don't go for guests, concerts, or anything like that, but I feel as though I've become jaded to Acen. Not only that, if I do secure more permanent employment here in Colorado, there's a chance I'd not want to come back to Illinois for reasons other than family issues. Cons happen all over the place, and if I find cons in or near Denver are cheaper, that gives me opportunity to save money instead of going back 1000 miles to something that, in all honesty, is losing its luster to me.

It's sad to see this happen to my first con ever, but all things come to an end. It has been said time and time again that we the con goers make this cons what it is. And if it starts turning into rowdy parties, causing property damage and creating an air of unsafe feeling, something is wrong.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#7 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 29 February 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

tru fax : minus travel , Anime Expo is cheaper than Acen
tru fax : Anime Expo DELIVERS GUESTS EVERY SINGLE YEAR. No one is saying it is a lame con. They deliver. they can party if they want. It is cons that cost x amount and deliver nothing at all that deserve criticism.

I know that Expo is cheaper than Acen in terms of tickets :x Everything else I'm not sure about, considering the hotel costs, etc. depending factors.

But for some reason a lot of people have been put off by Acen due to either a lack of guests that appeal to them or due to how it has become a 'party con,' which depends on the opinion, similar to the situation with AX vs the other California cons, due to the Miku concert being the highlight one year and not a lot of other guests to back up.

To be honest the guests in previous Acens didn't appeal to me either but I went to have fun and because it was my local convention. Currently, I'm put off not by the guest list or how the Soap bubble has changed, but because of my own life changing. I can't do thing like I did when I was 19 or so. I have to consider more about the future, cost issues, among other things. So I might just drop conventions altogether, not just Acen.

Outside of Acen there isn't a lot of other Chicago conventions that are near my area that appealed to me yet.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#8 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 01 March 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

I know that Expo is cheaper than Acen in terms of tickets :x Everything else I'm not sure about, considering the hotel costs, etc. depending factors.

But for some reason a lot of people have been put off by Acen due to either a lack of guests that appeal to them or due to how it has become a 'party con,' which depends on the opinion, similar to the situation with AX vs the other California cons, due to the Miku concert being the highlight one year and not a lot of other guests to back up.

To be honest the guests in previous Acens didn't appeal to me either but I went to have fun and because it was my local convention. Currently, I'm put off not by the guest list or how the Soap bubble has changed, but because of my own life changing. I can't do thing like I did when I was 19 or so. I have to consider more about the future, cost issues, among other things. So I might just drop conventions altogether, not just Acen.

Outside of Acen there isn't a lot of other Chicago conventions that are near my area that appealed to me yet.

No, they had quite the guest list. Kalafina, loads of anime directors , and a few "fan favorite" American VA's.
There's always the coast argument as well but many other cons in smaller cities are still faring better guest wise.

I'd look at Anime Midwest and Kollison con. both are rather cheap ( under 30 or so for the whole weekend even cheaper for just a day) and it would be a great way to have a taste of con life without being immersed in it. Or even c2e2, which despite not being an anime con still is quite open for all sorts of cosplay.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#9 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 March 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

No, they had quite the guest list. Kalafina, loads of anime directors , and a few "fan favorite" American VA's.
There's always the coast argument as well but many other cons in smaller cities are still faring better guest wise.

I'd look at Anime Midwest and Kollison con. both are rather cheap ( under 30 or so for the whole weekend even cheaper for just a day) and it would be a great way to have a taste of con life without being immersed in it. Or even c2e2, which despite not being an anime con still is quite open for all sorts of cosplay.

C2E2 is only $25 for one day if you go to your local comic shop and there's a lot to do. If you live in the city, it's easy to get to.
ACen '12 Cosplays
'12 Cons: C2E2, ACen, Midwestria [Staff], JemCon, YoumaCon [Video Programming Staff]

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#10 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

heck, if you don't live in the city it is easy to get to! Shuttle right by Union Station <3.

I would understand those who purely enjoy anime/ manga not getting kicks out of it. Great guests but not many from the anime industry.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#11 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'm glad there's a thread like this so Acen can see people who are literally fed up DX

Now of course I'm glad that LM.C is coming. They are literally one of my favorite bands of all time. but that's not going to stop me from complaining about how the guests are being handled DX I feel for those people who don't care for musical guests and only for dub voice actors or what have you since that was me a few years back when there were hardly any good musicians.
As always, the people coming just to party is a big factor. Plus the price... What am I paying for? Damage caused by drunks?

I'm also just fed up with some staff/IRT [Not all of them. Some of you guys are awesome] and their martyr attitudes when people complain. That is a huge factor for this being my last acen. If you're just going to try to act like us customers have no right to complain because of this or that, why are we even trying? I understand you want to defend yourself and we may not see everything that goes on behind the scenes but something is obviously wrong when people are THIS fed up with the con. Rather than become offended with everything, try to listen and fix the things that need to be fixed. /sigh/ I'll probably get pelted for that but I needed to get that off my chest for a LONG time.

I'll just treat this con as a concert from now on. If they get a band I like, I will go for only the concert and that's it. It's not worth the hotel, food and badge costs anymore.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Mankanshoku Mako [Osaka Trip] - Kill la Kill [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#12 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostGabichox, on 01 March 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

I'm glad there's a thread like this so Acen can see people who are literally fed up DX

Now of course I'm glad that LM.C is coming. They are literally one of my favorite bands of all time. but that's not going to stop me from complaining about how the guests are being handled DX I feel for those people who don't care for musical guests and only for dub voice actors or what have you since that was me a few years back when there were hardly any good musicians.
As always, the people coming just to party is a big factor. Plus the price... What am I paying for? Damage caused by drunks?

I'm also just fed up with some staff/IRT [Not all of them. Some of you guys are awesome] and their martyr attitudes when people complain. That is a huge factor for this being my last acen. If you're just going to try to act like us customers have no right to complain because of this or that, why are we even trying? I understand you want to defend yourself and we may not see everything that goes on behind the scenes but something is obviously wrong when people are THIS fed up with the con. Rather than become offended with everything, try to listen and fix the things that need to be fixed. /sigh/ I'll probably get pelted for that but I needed to get that off my chest for a LONG time.

I'll just treat this con as a concert from now on. If they get a band I like, I will go for only the concert and that's it. It's not worth the hotel, food and badge costs anymore.

^This! I 100% agree! I love seeing voice actors more so than musical guests, but if there's a musical guest I like, I'll be happy! The way we are being treated is just awful. I am so tired of it. It's not worth it anymore.
ACen '12 Cosplays

#13 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

I can't honestly answer this poll. Acen has been my con for almost 10 years now and I have seen it grow into something much bigger than I expected when I first started going. With that being said, with how large it has gotten, I expected it to also improve after every year and sadly it has not. The last few years I have lost interest in the con, not only with the guests, but with the con altogether. It feels like the convention is not focused where it should be. But I still have hope that it can improve. I just don't feel that recently the price of the badge, hotel, food, gas, parking costs, plus some extra spending money is worth the weekend at Acen.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#14 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I can agree on one thing for sure, making the rest of us pay for the mishaps of the unruly in the form of higher priced badges and tighter security is not entirely fair, I understand people will be people and do what they like regardless of rules, but what I can't stand is that Johnny over there breaks something, yet Jimmy has to pay for the damage even though he's been following the rules, doing that pushes people away and I can pretty much assure you if that continues then you'll see a dip in attendance in the years to come. With a degrading program of things to do, yet increasing the price you make it less and less appealing. It's like a king that taxes his people more and more each year, soon enough they'll get fed up with it and move on. I hate being so blunt but....That's just how I see it.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#15 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

ACen was my first con and, honestly, until last year I still really loved it. That being said, giving up is against my nature, so my response to things being less satisfactory isn't to stop going to the con, but to seriously consider trying to join staff next year to see if I can make a difference. Granted, there are other reasons for me wanting to do this, but the main reason is because, while I, personally, have never had problems with staff, I've read people's complaints on the forums before and always end up with an overwhelming sense of "Heck, I could do better," and regardless of whether or not that actually turns out to be the case, I clearly think that I can so why not try?
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#16 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 01 March 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

ACen was my first con and, honestly, until last year I still really loved it. That being said, giving up is against my nature, so my response to things being less satisfactory isn't to stop going to the con, but to seriously consider trying to join staff next year to see if I can make a difference. Granted, there are other reasons for me wanting to do this, but the main reason is because, while I, personally, have never had problems with staff, I've read people's complaints on the forums before and always end up with an overwhelming sense of "Heck, I could do better," and regardless of whether or not that actually turns out to be the case, I clearly think that I can so why not try?

I think it is a nice effort but I really think, to quote April Winchell, "Fish rots from the head" . if you know what I mean
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#17 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 March 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

I think it is a nice effort but I really think, to quote April Winchell, "Fish rots from the head" . if you know what I mean

I understand, but at the same time I kinda feel like it would be more productive if people would actually do something about it rather than whining and/ or just giving up. If you just walk away from the con, or any other problem, for that matter, nothing will get fixed and there's the chance it might just get worse, whereas if you actually do something about it, there's actually a chance that ACen could be the great con it once was, if not even better. What it comes down to is how willing people are to stop b****ing and start doing something about it.
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#18 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Kayy, understand that a good deal of people here have worked the con like myself. It's not like that we haven't done stuff.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#19 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on 01 March 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

Kayy, understand that a good deal of people here have worked the con like myself. It's not like that we haven't done stuff.

I get that, and you guys are awesome. I'm more talking about the ones who don't do anything but complain. You can't tell me that they don't exist.

-Sidney Sheldon

#20 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 01 March 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

I get that, and you guys are awesome. I'm more talking about the ones who don't do anything but complain. You can't tell me that they don't exist.

We're going to need an army to see any kind of difference. :\

This post has been edited by Lina: 01 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

ACen '12 Cosplays

#21 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 01 March 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

I understand, but at the same time I kinda feel like it would be more productive if people would actually do something about it rather than whining and/ or just giving up. If you just walk away from the con, or any other problem, for that matter, nothing will get fixed and there's the chance it might just get worse, whereas if you actually do something about it, there's actually a chance that ACen could be the great con it once was, if not even better. What it comes down to is how willing people are to stop b****ing and start doing something about it.

fixed. PG forum is PG
and old response is old. I knew someone would pull this one out.
Let's put it this way. the "OP' as it were has been on staff. so have quite a few of my friends. Me? I work 40 hours a week, go to school, and plan my wedding. I am on a panel this year, which I'm going to give my all to. but Whether I staff or not , I go to the con as a customer in one shape or another. I pay for my badge and I hope to get something out of it. It is like ordering catering or getting a dress made. You pay and then wait and hope things go smoothly. In other words, I have the right to "b****" ( as you would say) about the product.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#22 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostLina, on 01 March 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

We're going to need an army to see any kind of difference. :\

Lina, I'm not counting you in this, since, as I understand it, you've been drifting away from anime as a whole, but...would you by any chance mean an army like the army of people who complain and then do nothing?

And Lin, I understand where you're coming from. I get that people pay for something and expect to get their money's worth. I also get that some people can't afford to work for the con because of work or school or travel complications other life circumstances. Heck, I'm a full time college student, on top of which, while, yes, I am from Chicago, my college is a good 3-4 hour train ride from Union Station and getting to the con can be a pain in the butt, especially since I miss classes to go and I need to make sure that I don't fall behind on my work.

That being said, and this extends far beyond just the whole ACen situation, it bothers me to no end when people complain about something when they have the power to fix it and then do nothing.

(And sorry about the swearing; it's late and my brain to mouth/ finger filter wasn't on)

-Sidney Sheldon

#23 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

But that's the reason this thread exists ! If people start voicing their opinions where the con heads can see them, maybe they'll really consider giving Acen an overhaul.

I wish I could tell the story of the maid cafe that became karaoke Acen 09 (?) just to show how acen department heads aren't always on top of things but that would be too much of a low blow...

It's ok Kaay I was just wondering why the usual funny replacement words didn't pop up. :x
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#24 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 March 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

But that's the reason this thread exists ! If people start voicing their opinions where the con heads can see them, maybe they'll really consider giving Acen an overhaul.

I wish I could tell the story of the maid cafe that became karaoke Acen 09 (?) just to show how acen department heads aren't always on top of things but that would be too much of a low blow...

It's ok Kaay I was just wondering why the usual funny replacement words didn't pop up. :x

To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure the fact that ACen is next month and the only guest we know about is the band, not to mention the fact that we were only just given an update on why badges haven't been mailed yet a week ago, says it all. (I understand why the badges haven't been mailed yet, but at the same time I feel like I remember reading that they were going to start badge mailing in October this year. Maybe I'm wrong, but....that DOES take away most of my sympathy for the situation.)

-Sidney Sheldon

#25 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 01 March 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure the fact that ACen is next month and the only guest we know about is the band, not to mention the fact that we were only just given an update on why badges haven't been mailed yet a week ago, says it all. (I understand why the badges haven't been mailed yet, but at the same time I feel like I remember reading that they were going to start badge mailing in October this year. Maybe I'm wrong, but....that DOES take away most of my sympathy for the situation.)

and I'm sure a lot of people remember the thread a year or so back asking for suggestions for the BIG 15th !!!!!!!!!!1!!!! But nope, 1 guest and the DJs. no badges sent out.
I'm in the thinking about it boat. If I go in the future and nothing gets better, I'll likely just take up space in common area instead of attending events or going to the dealer's room. So I'll be adding to the fire hazard AND saving money :]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#26 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

I'm just curious where people are getting that higher priced badges are related to hotel damage costs? Yes, that is some of the issue, but any large convention is going to have some damage to the hotel and the cost does have to be paid. Typically your higher priced conventions come in the form of guests. Guests are expensive to fly out and put up. Especially if you are getting some from overseas. The cost to rent out the convention center as well can be a factor in this as well depending on what kind of discount ACen gets on its spaced based on the number of hotel rooms they sell which likely also depends on the relationship between the Hyatt and convention center. Information I have no knowledge of. You are also paying to have this con in Chicago. Chicago itself is an expensive city and luxury tax is very high there.

Basically, there are numerous factors that go into choosing the cost of a convention, not withstanding what they may pay the various members of their planning committee. Cons are not strictly a volunteer run thing and some conventions like Youmacon and Colossalcon are even for profit events designed to make money.

As for the gripe issue, absolutely you have the right to express discontent with a product you are paying for. However, the most effective way of doing it is in a constructive manner. Writing a letter to the convention as a whole or posting on the forums can help as all cons should read their own forums for issues to address. If this were a post on facebook, I can see where not complaining to the appropriate sources would be a more valid argument. Though I suppose you could point out that this would be better suited on a more on topic forum.

As for my grand role? As some of you know, I had considered last year possibly my last year of ACen. After being treated poorly by both the convention and the hotel the last couple of years as well as having points of disagreement with how the convention is run as a whole. I have put such things aside and am going to return again this year, but further treatment along those lines can certainly push me over the edge. Already this year, I am returning far more because of friends like Isamu, SongstressLenne, KungpowKirby, and Junk pushing me to do so than any sense of obligation to the convention. Which is a shame as I have been a faithful attendee every year since 2003. Will this be my last year? Maybe, we'll see.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#27 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

If I can find a replacement that is big enough (I go to a handful of tiny cons in St Louis and Collinsville but they just don't have the BIG cosplay community that I love seeing) I am definately thinking about dumping Acen for another convention.

Over the last few years the guests have really suffered (they don't get announced until super late or we don't get very many at all and just get excuses). The party atmosphere rises with a huge focus on the dances (which I have no interest in, nor do I consider 5 DJ's as 'guests' making up for actual anime/manga guests). More than a couple times last year I wasn't even able to get into the very few panels I actually want to see because there are too many people. The prices are rising and the quality of the con (atleast in my opinion, and what I want out of it) just keeps degrading.

I'm so tired of getting excited about things only to have them collapse upon themselves. This is the 15th annivesary. We were told it was going to be awesome. We were told that they were already working on great guests last year in celebration. And yet here we are. Less than two months away and we have 1 guest and very little other information. And sadly I'm not even surprised considering promises and weak deliveries for the 11th and 13th year too.

Come on Acen. I don't want to leave. Please quit pushing me away.

#28 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

While I understand everyone has their own truth and their own experience, let's continue to keep this thread civil and constructive, okay?
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#29 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostWingy Baby, on 01 March 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

While I understand everyone has their own truth and their own experience, let's continue to keep this thread civil and constructive, okay?

I think so far it has been. It could have been derailed but went back on track in about 20 minutes.
moderating our selves, like champs.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Kirie - Fatal Frame

#30 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

2007 wasy first acen, so I don't have the deep roots in it yet, tho I am disgruntled at the how acen is turning up. I stopped caring for guests and panels. I go for friends and cosplay. tho badge prices and rising hotel costs are definitely making me hkt a limit. Im paying for immature idiots drinking (note you can responsibly party, and not) and smoking illegal crap. (im to the point where ill report stuff.) Tho there are a lot of good people, and I enjoy that. While thoughts of finding a replacement isn't a foreign thought, im not planning on quitting

On a side note, its been talked about, but I agree with kaaychan. Not saying sui or Liny hasnt done anything, but hoping someone important sees aint doing much. Yes, as a customer this is important, but in order to bring change, more effective methods are required. Like I agree with a letter writing. Get a mass of people and have them send off letters. Something of that sort.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users