Cosplaying and Racism Very strong article

#1 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

http://nerdcaliber.com/?p=7433

This article not only hurt me but made me upset as well. It should not matter one millisecond what race you are while you are cosplaying. Cosplaying is fun. You should be given props for what you did, not to be put down for it because of the color of your skin.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#2 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

It has very little to do with cosplay and all to do with racism. The cosplay is just a cover for it. The comments are rather clear by what they mean when you say it aloud. They just don't wanta see a "darkie" getting into something that They like. so rather then just blurt out "get out" they'll be 12 year old girls and nitpick at the outfit as if to shame them.

That being said i am that kind of perfectionist who spent hours working on my outfit...judging my friends on who can play what then they blurted out "well, he's a 5'2 fat asian kid" My only response was "go to hell i'm not cutting my shins off!
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#3 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

I'm still doing Phoenix Wright. Screw whatever other fool says otherwise.

This post has been edited by MasterHavik: 28 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#4 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

ehh just kicking up dust
not worth my time
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

It's interesting to see reactions on this. I would have to agree with Million's that it does kick up dust. However it's something that shouldn't just be ignored either. Hopefully we'll become more and more open with time. I think a lot has to do with:
1. Net being annon.
2. People having been raised with tendencies from family and long time issues.
3. Moron's expecting perfect cosplay that can't exisit.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Eh, racism is eveywhere. Who cares what randoms think. Im gonna cosplay who I want. if someone wants to say it from the safety of the comp, its whatever. If they grow balls and say it to my face, we'll see what happens.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#7 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Darn Straight Xeno. Hello ive seen some pretty cute and well made cosplays from girls who were african-American and of other races. and besides 9/10 of characters are of japanese decent, so who is anyone to judge when it comes to race? This is something of a double edge sword where we cant ignore it but its the best thing to do sometimes. especially when its people on the web. its ok to feel hurt, but remember this one rule of cosplay that i personally follow. do it for yourself :)

#8 User is offline   basili1250 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 51718

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

So long as there are people, there will be people who bring down others

Because they're scared of doing the things others can do.

Screw em
ACen 2009: Industrial Steam Punk
ACen 2010: Batou (first Ghost in the Shell film appearance)
ACen 2011: Human cosplay
ACen 2012: Father Cornello (FMA)
ACen 2013: Wreck-It-Ralph, Free (Soul Eater
ACen 2014: Iskander/Rider (Fate/Zero)

#9 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Skin tone shouldn't matter there is not much we can do to our skin since most of the money goes to get the cosplay done.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#10 User is offline   vika838 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58943

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 28 February 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

It's interesting to see reactions on this. I would have to agree with Million's that it does kick up dust. However it's something that shouldn't just be ignored either. Hopefully we'll become more and more open with time. I think a lot has to do with:
1. Net being annon.
2. People having been raised with tendencies from family and long time issues.
3. Moron's expecting perfect cosplay that can't exisit.

I agree. Everyone's a critic, and the anonymity of the internet lets bigots feel like it's perfectly acceptable to put others down for anything that makes you different (race, age, size, etc.) You could have the world's greatest cosplay and people will still find something hurtful to say. I did a masq performance, and got some pretty scathing online comments, not about my performance, but that I was "too fat" for my outfit. It fit me perfectly, and I'd taken great care in it's construction, but I'm not petite so it didn't matter. It's not the same thing as racism, but I wish people could refrain from indulging themselves in any of the ism's just because they're anonymous.

This post has been edited by vika838: 28 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Love and Peace!

Vika!

#11 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Black Phoenix Wright all day every day of the week son.

http://toot71192.dev...llery/#/d3gzlly

Besides...who can handle that? You guys might remember this girl from last year.

#12 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

One of these years, I will cosplay the best disney princess ever
And I am whiter than a sheet.

But there will always be a**holes on the internet :/
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#13 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Someone will always try to bring you down and the real challenge is not letting them get to you. Brush it off and cosplay proud. :D
What Xeno says really hits the nail on the head though--they say it because they are most likely hundreds of miles away from you and can hide behind their computer. They will never meet you and such and are just trying to be nasty. Take it as a compliment because they took time out of their day to look at your photo. :3

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 28 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#14 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

I saw this on Facebook this afternoon. There's really not much to say that's already been said, except that when I first started out cosplaying I was really self-conscious--I mean, you don't really see black Robin Senas, but I'm also not in the greatest of shape. But my own experience has been great so far. Shape and shade notwithstanding, I've cosplayed everything from L to Temari to R. Dorothy to Link, and most have been kind enough to point out my my burgeoning prop-making skills, not that I should shed my skin and crawl back into whatever cave I came from. And if anyone has been talking behind my back, I must not have been listening, because I was too busy having fun. (btw, say 'hi' if you see a black Byakuya running around this year!)

You would think people would get over it and stop debating dumb plop like this, but as a great man once said, you can't fix stupid.

...On the other hand, my friend and I had a discussion about seeing MORE black people in Japanese pop culture (video games, anime, etc.), so it was interesting that this popped up.
ACen 2014 Cosplay ("From the Spirit World"):
Fem!Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach) :: San (Princess Mononoke) :: Boogiepop/Touka Miyashita (Boogiepop Phantom)

#15 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostKusanagiRobin, on 29 February 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

I saw this on Facebook this afternoon. There's really not much to say that's already been said, except that when I first started out cosplaying I was really self-conscious--I mean, you don't really see black Robin Senas, but I'm also not in the greatest of shape. But my own experience has been great so far. Shape and shade notwithstanding, I've cosplayed everything from L to Temari to R. Dorothy to Link, and most have been kind enough to point out my my burgeoning prop-making skills, not that I should shed my skin and crawl back into whatever cave I came from. And if anyone has been talking behind my back, I must not have been listening, because I was too busy having fun. (btw, say 'hi' if you see a black Byakuya running around this year!)

You would think people would get over it and stop debating dumb plop like this, but as a great man once said, you can't fix stupid.

...On the other hand, my friend and I had a discussion about seeing MORE black people in Japanese pop culture (video games, anime, etc.), so it was interesting that this popped up.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I see a lot more diversity in people that are interested in the J-pop culture than there was years before. Taking it to a larger scale, it seems like "nerdiness" is being more accepted nowadays.

And yeah, I saw that post as well and commented on it. Racism is everywhere and there's people that will criticize anything. This isn't new. Now with that comment that the person made, it wasn't necessarily racist. They were just being an elitist about cosplay. The person who made the article was making a mountain out of a molehill. But to that person who made the comment, they don't realize that cosplay is for fun. There are people who take it seriously and try to be as close to the character as possible and then there's those that change it up and have fun with it. To each their own. There aren't any rules about who people can and cannot cosplay.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#16 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

I think another reason why were seeing more mixed characters in manga is due to various reasons. One is the fact that younger mangaka are haveing more global relations, IE: People from all over the world coming and working there, transfer teachers and students coming as part of a cultural exchange, Media from all over the world, and oh yeah, the net. Two is the fact that manga is becoming more international and more countries are making deals with creators and studios so I think there's that factor going in. It's making it so that interesting characters can be concived of and accepted, now I'm just waiting for a Korean charcter to be allowed in there and I can honestly say that Japan is facing up to it's racial issues.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#17 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Treat cosplay like the World Cup. It's one of the ways to end racism in our world.

#18 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

I can't believe we still live in a society where so many people think like that. The first thing I notice about a cosplay is how accurate the COSTUME is, not the person wearing it. Saying a colored person can't cosplay a white person is like people who see cosplayers with their character's tattoo (for example, any of the sins from fullmetal alchemist), ask if the tattoo is real, then get mad and say the cosplay sucks because the tattoo isn't real -_- It's so stupid...but I like to think that the human race as a whole is getting better and more accepting about this kind of thing...hopefully in the future racism is something they study in history textbooks that children won't be able to fully comprehend.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#19 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

You got that right.

#20 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

People are fickle and childish. just don't give a fck. you are what you are, listening to others be racist about cosplaying or anything is is a waste of time and energy. You are above all that. fck em.
poopies.

#21 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Psh, not even an issue.This is like people taking those "Only Asians Should Cosplay" YouTube videos seriously.

Cosplay is about the quality of your work and enjoying yourself and to hell with your weight, height, and especially skin color.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostKii, on 31 March 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Psh, not even an issue.This is like people taking those "Only Asians Should Cosplay" YouTube videos seriously.

Cosplay is about the quality of your work and enjoying yourself and to hell with your weight, height, and especially skin color.

I agree with this but I have the fear that someone, or someone would take a picture of me and post it all over tumblr/cgl to gawk and make fun of.

Like I totally want to do the Subway master Emmet in the future one day, but I can image some idiot would point out how I'm not a twin or I'm black or what not.

This fear comes from me randomly looking for pairings on tumblr and finding some hetalia mocking site and lo and behold I find pictures from a Hetalia photoshot a few years ago, with the poster mocking how these people look nothing like the nations in question among other things. Stuff like that annoys me and hurts, because of the power of the internet.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#23 User is offline   DioxideIL 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 27908

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Our shared interests are completely universal, and were intended to be appreciated by all. I cannot stand when people feel a need to degrade others for no reason whatsoever. We live in such a bully-heavy time, and it saddens me to see others accosted by punks who have nothing better to do. I love meeting people of every race color and creed. We're all living this whole life thing together so why can't we do so collaboratively?
Decided not to bring a signature book due to lack of interest.

---Chibi Chaser---

#24 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 03 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

I agree with this but I have the fear that someone, or someone would take a picture of me and post it all over tumblr/cgl to gawk and make fun of.

Like I totally want to do the Subway master Emmet in the future one day, but I can image some idiot would point out how I'm not a twin or I'm black or what not.

This fear comes from me randomly looking for pairings on tumblr and finding some hetalia mocking site and lo and behold I find pictures from a Hetalia photoshot a few years ago, with the poster mocking how these people look nothing like the nations in question among other things. Stuff like that annoys me and hurts, because of the power of the internet.

Fujoshi, don't let them hurt you. The net is known for being anon, these same people that mock are, more then likely, the type that would love to cosplay but don't have the guts to do so, or act like they don't want to due to peer pressure. Also they mock because they don't feel good about themself and would rather tear people down. Sadly when I was much younger I was one of those people, didn't mock others for cosplay but for other things, it was not a good time. But I learned that it came from self esteme. People that do this need help with their esteme, and that's pretty much what a lot of it comes down to.

Pardon the Pause

#25 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 03 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Being made fun of on the internet is something every cosplayer sort of risks.There's a lot of jerks out there who like to hide behind their little screens and poke fun of everyone who isn't doing things the way they think they should be done.
Don't let people like that control you.It's what they want, but it isn't what they deserve.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#26 User is offline   antisocialist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18063

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

If you are black or non-white/non-Japanese, know this. A person who trashes you solely because of race

1. Is threatened by you.
2. Cannot find anything else other than your race to talk about - it means that your costume is just that good. Generally, with a lot of black cosplayers, they have to try harder to get the costume right due to their race. As a result, I've seen some extraordinary craftsmanship come out of it as a result. It's compensatory, but it says that the cosplayer can get the character down perfectly even though they aren't the race of the character. Also, to point out the hypocrisy of those people, they would rather see someone get a character inaccurate (such as Fran or Yoruichi) if it means that the person cosplaying them is white or Japanese.

If you have haters, you better figure out how to get more, because if your costume looks that good, it means that you're doing something right.

This post has been edited by antisocialist: 19 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

anime central 2013
Gothic Aristocrat - 2 days.

#27 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

I was worried about negaivity about being black cosplaying as someone who wasn't dark skinned which is why I went for two darker female characters last year with it being my first time at Acen and cosplaying . Yoruichi Shihouin from Bleach (http://www.facebook....&type=3) and Yuko from Persona 3. (http://www.facebook....&type=3). But Then I realized I shouldn't even care. People who comment on skin color are idiots and need to realize that Cosplay is for everyone and anyone has a right to do so , if you aren't dark skinned you can cosplay as someone who is as white as snow if you wanted or vice versa. I cosplayed as Squall Leonhart from Final Fantasy VIII a BOY and who has "Asian features/Caucasian features" at C2E2 this past weekend and people liked it! >B( (http://www.facebook....&type=3) and I'm bringing my Squall to this Acen !
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

#28 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostBreBre716, on 20 April 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

I was worried about negaivity about being black cosplaying as someone who wasn't dark skinned which is why I went for two darker female characters last year with it being my first time at Acen and cosplaying . Yoruichi Shihouin from Bleach (http://www.facebook....&type=3) and Yuko from Persona 3. (http://www.facebook....&type=3). But Then I realized I shouldn't even care. People who comment on skin color are idiots and need to realize that Cosplay is for everyone and anyone has a right to do so , if you aren't dark skinned you can cosplay as someone who is as white as snow if you wanted or vice versa. I cosplayed as Squall Leonhart from Final Fantasy VIII a BOY and who has "Asian features/Caucasian features" at C2E2 this past weekend and people liked it! >B( (http://www.facebook....&type=3) and I'm bringing my Squall to this Acen !
You did great job cosplaying Yoruichi and Yuko. I hope you're at Acen. I'm glad you don't care about what people say about you. I'm hoping I can see you as Mitsuru or, heck, even Rukia.

#29 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostMasterHavik, on 20 April 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

You did great job cosplaying Yoruichi and Yuko. I hope you're at Acen. I'm glad you don't care about what people say about you. I'm hoping I can see you as Mitsuru or, heck, even Rukia.

Oh Yeah I'll be at Acen. As Squall on Saturday as a Teddiursa Sunday and Friday as Minako Arisato of Persona 3. But I'm doing a "Black girl version" I guess of Minako since her hair is brownish and mine is naturally black so I'm putting my hair up and attaching a black girl weave/extension pony tail so my hair style is basically the same. The outfit I had for Yuko last year is basically the same outfit as Minako's but with a few minor changes plus a naginata weapon which I'm working on now. (yes I know. last minute XD.).... I dunno I know I said I don't give a hoot about what people say but for Friday I'm a bit irked and on edge since...

1) I haven't been in the Shin megami tensei fanbase for very long
2) I don't know If I'll be recognized as the FEmMC if I'm the "black girl version"
3) people get weird when cosplayers don't have the "proper wig"

also my reason for being the "black girl version" is because I can't afford a stylized wig like hers since I already bought my Squall wig for 28 bucks via ebay from a wig place in Hong Kong. >_> (unemployed College student here)
Posted Image

This post has been edited by BreBre716: 22 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

#30 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Repping the P3P FemMC is godlike. I'll try to get a picture of you as Sqaull and her.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users