• You cannot reply to this topic

People over 30 Cosplaying? Older people in Cosplay

#61 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29213

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Age doesn't matter when it comes to cosplay. Just look at some of the photos and videos from Dragoncon. You've got all ranges between toddler to those with a foot halfway in the retirement home. And frankly I think there's some cosplays that are better when done by older people.

Check out these two videos from the Marvel and DC photoshoots at Dragoncon last year. They've got a lot of different ages.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BYgEj7SsRw8

https://www.youtube....h?v=Yuj407oaF6E

This post has been edited by fotaku07: 08 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

#62 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

BEST COSPLAY EVER.

Posted Image
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#63 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 08 March 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

BEST COSPLAY EVER.

Yes!

This post has been edited by YoungBirdcall: 10 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#64 User is offline   MikoChika 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63269

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

I can understand older people (those 40 and on) having second thoughts about cosplaying, about being looked down upon for dressing up in costumes. After all thats just how our culture is here (though it's changing!! Things are always changing, even if sometimes it's a slow change). Like my parents who are in their 60s and 70s think only kids should be in costume. They don't understand why I enjoy it (a youngin' going on 25), and figure I'm just trying to cling onto my youth. But really, thats all it is, it's how most of us were raised to see it, that costumes for the most part are for playtime- for kids. Luckily this huge world of ours is shrinking thanks to things like the internet, and our horizons are broadening to things accepted in other cultures, like cosplay and what not. And as our generation ages, the more accepting certain things become.

Just give it another ten years and we'll have a slew of 'older' cosplayers. ;)

At the very least, Conventions are ALWAYS a safe place for any and all to cosplay (as long as it's in good taste<--this rule applying to ALL!). ^^v

AND OMG!!!! Love the older couple in the Mario and Peach cosplay!!! :D

This post has been edited by MikoChika: 10 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Planned Cosplay: Moogle (FF series), Random Alchemist (FMA), White Mage (FF series)

#65 User is offline   Fayelee_Darkclaw 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17734

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

i'm 30 and still cosplay it shouldnt matter size age or sex its all fun and games and thats all that matters. Its all about anime and having fun.
Anime Central 2013 Costumes:
Kyuubi from narut0: 99.9% done
Duo Maxwell (Gundam wing) 100% done
Cosplay I own
Kyuubi (Naruto)Duo Maxwell (Gundam wing)Splicer (Bio shock) Major (Ghost in the Shell) (RETIRED)
Broken Youth Naruto (Naruto) High School Naruto (Naruto) (RETIRED FOR REVAMP)
Sasori (naruto Sleepy time naruto/fox in a Box

#66 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm a few years away from 30, but you better believe that I'll be cosplaying past that! Hell, one day when I have kids, it'll be a whole family affair!
As long as the cosplays are well done and appropriate, why not do it regardless of age?! Have fun with it -- its the name of the game, right?
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#67 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11577

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

I was thinking of starting a new thread for my question but I think it fits here just fine :).

I recently turned 30 and I'm always going back and forth with myself on my decision to cosplay; but in the end, I always choose to continue to do it because I love it. This year, I know will be going in my tried and true Belldandy cosplay, as I've done before and it's one of my favorites (very easy to pull off too, regardless of age).

I also wanted to go as Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica one of the days. But after reading a few places that you should try to cosplay around your age, I've started having second thoughts. What are your thoughts? I don't want to commmit any cosplay crimes here lol. Any input would be wonderful! Thanks all :)

ACen 14 Cosplay

Date a Live - Kurumi Tokisaki
Saturday.Sunday

#68 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I say if you love what you do then what is there to stop you? The older Mario and Peach couple are loved by everyone. I will still cosplay with what I am comfortable with even if I'm not 30 but I still feel that way. Don't doubt yourself and create great memories for yourself. Enjoy life while we are still young.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#69 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostCharlotteStar, on 17 March 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

I was thinking of starting a new thread for my question but I think it fits here just fine :)/>.

I recently turned 30 and I'm always going back and forth with myself on my decision to cosplay; but in the end, I always choose to continue to do it because I love it. This year, I know will be going in my tried and true Belldandy cosplay, as I've done before and it's one of my favorites (very easy to pull off too, regardless of age).

I also wanted to go as Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica one of the days. But after reading a few places that you should try to cosplay around your age, I've started having second thoughts. What are your thoughts? I don't want to commmit any cosplay crimes here lol. Any input would be wonderful! Thanks all :)/>

Coming from someone who's turning 30 this year and still cosplays as 11 year olds on occasion, if you really want to, just go ahead and do it. I'm sure there will come a point where I'll start feeling uncomfortable cosplaying as characters so much younger than myself, but if you yourself don't feel uncomfortable yet, I don't see why you couldn't do it.

If there were more 30 year old characters I truly liked, then yeah I'd try to cosplay them, but usually my favorite characters are teens, so I figure might as well keep doing them until I just don't feel I can anymore - save the older characters for when that's no longer an option in my mind, lol.
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

#70 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 11 April 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

I wonder if there's a sense of fear from older people, like they'll be looked down upon?

This is how I feel.

I'm 33.

I know I worry about this stuff a lot more than I should.

#71 User is offline   Shuichilove 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62063

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'll stop when I stop being fabulous.
Great things come in pink! :O

#72 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostShuichilove, on 06 April 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I'll stop when I stop being fabulous.

Perfect response.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#73 User is offline   NightElf 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63562

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I am 44 and I will be in costume. Maybe we should have an over 30 meet up just for fun? This is my first time going, so couldn't begin to organize it, but thought I would throw that out there...

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users