• You cannot reply to this topic

People over 30 Cosplaying? Older people in Cosplay

#31 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Taking slight offense to #2, as there is a 12 year difference between myself and my fiance - I'm 31. Just putting it in perspective. Just because someone is younger doesn't mean you are "creepy". I can almost guarantee you that you wouldn't think that I am my age. I look much, much younger.

#1 is obvious no matter the age of the cosplayer.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#32 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to offend > < And yes, there are definitely cases where it's not creepy at all, but I'm talking about that guy that basically "stalks" the group of 4-5 girls that look like they're 15 and you can tell from their faces and they're all uncomfortable and want him to leave. (And don't mean to just direct this at guys either, since I'm sure it would work with the genders reversed, you just don't see that as often) I rarely see stuff like this happening in general anyways, but just saying :P
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#33 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Ahh. Fair enough. Though in that case, the stalked should contact IRT IMMEDIATELY!
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#34 User is offline   Mullenkamp 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 495

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

If ACen wasn't early this year, I'd be 35 this time around... I went to Shuto Con two days ago, and got carded for a 16+ panel. I was like "Ha - I could go to this panel TWICE!" XD

It kind of comes in handy since I've been cosplaying Kotetsu from Tiger & Bunny for the last several cons - keeps me in character when I can be all "You kids these days..." And if I ever start *looking* my age, there are a few costumes I might want to do that would take less effort. In the meantime, because I'm short and don't look my age, I keep winding up as the "kid" characters when we do groups...

#35 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 18 March 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

I only have 2 requirements for older people cosplaying:
1. PLEASE wear something that's flattering and doesn't make us want to shield our eyes...(but this goes for all ages)
2. Don't be that creeper older guy that goes around following younger girls and hitting on them. Once you're over 30, you should start looking for appropriate aged women, not the ones that look like they're in high school
Other than that, everyone should be able to cosplay to their heart's desire! I'm sure I'll still be cosplaying when I'm 30+ :)

These two requests could be applied to all cosplayers regardless of age or gender. Your singling out older cosplayers smacks of ageism.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#36 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 19 March 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

These two requests could be applied to all cosplayers regardless of age or gender. Your singling out older cosplayers smacks of ageism.

Um Young, she does state that 1 goes for all ages, and 2 was ment for older guys that are stalking 15 year olds because they see them as matching the anime character they like. IE the Otaku that's seen as the "Creeper."

I don't think she ment it as agism.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#37 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 19 March 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Um Young, she does state that 1 goes for all ages, and 2 was ment for older guys that are stalking 15 year olds because they see them as matching the anime character they like. IE the Otaku that's seen as the "Creeper."

I don't think she ment it as agism.

Whether she meant it or not is inconsequential. The statement itself was inherently ageist, by virtue of the singling out of older people. That's just a logical truth. Granted, we're on a thread that discusses older people cosplaying, but to make a statement to the affect of: "older guys shouldn't follow people around" is ageist.

No people should follow people around. Period. Age has nothing to do with it. Are we to believe that a young man (or, conversely, a woman) following people that don't want to be followed is somehow less inappropriate than when an older person does it? That's all I'm saying. Statements like this one, that aren't overtly discriminatory but are still inherently so, are problematic for a number of reasons. I can't speculate on the intentions of the poster, but I can call a spade a spade, and that statement was ageist.

This post has been edited by YoungBirdcall: 19 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#38 User is offline   twoFathoms 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61725

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm glad to see there are some older people cosplaying as well. I'm 26, and the majority of my group of friends I am attending with are 30. Not that I didn't think there would be older people there, but I know it's going to be a younger crowd.
--
ACen 2014
Saturday: Bee / Bee & Puppycat ; Sailor Mercury / Sailor Moon

#39 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Mother... my phone ate my entire post. Re-typing time!

The median age for con-goers is between 24-27.. the Voltron generation is growing up (but never really growing up. ;))..and since this was our childhood, we were never really grandfathered in by the likes of Adult Swim as the high school/college age is. I think there's actually more cosplayers over the age of 30 than not, but they're mostly on the SciFi circuits.

As far as older!creeper.. older people tend to be viewed more along those lines because of younger folks feeling safer around peers of their age range. Anyone over 5-10 years their senior and they're feeling awkward..especially when a person could be seen as another's parent. And yes, it's been repeated time and time again.. people need to be careful, regardless of age, sex, or creed.. a con may seem like a high energy, happy, funtime summercamp where mommy and daddy will never know that you're wearing THAT, but that adult you're freaking out over seeing cosplaying Boogiepop Phantom may just be able to save your weekend if you're in a pinch.

Just be careful in all you do, regardless and do not witch hunt.

#40 User is offline   Mullenkamp 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 20 March 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

but that adult you're freaking out over seeing cosplaying Boogiepop Phantom may just be able to save your weekend if you're in a pinch.

*thumbs-up* I've tried to explain the con atmosphere to people who don't go, and one of the things I mention is that while there are creepers and people who are looking to take advantage of others, the vast majority of congoers have sort of a "yay, people like me!" thing going on, and are helpful and protective towards each other. Granted, that's less about age than a general mindset (I do that to friends my own age too - sometimes they're worse than the teenagers), but those of us who have been around a little longer may have a bit broader perspective, we may have figured out a few things or had to deal with some nasty situations in the past...74 (<--like cats climbing on the keyboard while you're typing and apparently implying you're twice your age... hahahah.)

#41 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Exactly! It's a simple case of whippersnappers vs old farts (kidding!).

Though, there are mature >25's and immature <25's..and there _is_ ageism all around. I've personally been mocked for being 'old' (I'm freshly 29, you chickenbutts.) and cosplaying, but you know? So what? I still share a love of the hobby, as well as for the works that I enjoy. Its fun to cosplay with my daughter and she's even brought some really good ideas for us to do together.

In the end, the hobby is for any and all ages. Have fun, learn new things, make new frends. Enjoy it.

#42 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm approaching my 30 year milestone, and you'd better believe I don't plan to stop doing what I enjoy for quite awhile. There's nothing wrong with anyone of any age doing an outfit that they themselves enjoy, there's no rule book on who can cosplay what, never was and there never will be. In the immortal words of my granddad. "When in doubt, ---k it." I personally enjoy seeing different age groups still enjoying costumes, whether they be old or young, so keep on keepin' on.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#43 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I like seeing older people cosplay, I like seeing families do it too. The only reason I asked this question is because of how some view cosplay as just a kids thing, like how some view halloween. To me, no matter the age, if you enjoy creating characters do it.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#44 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

I went to a few comic conventions last year. Age for cosplay/costuming isn't noticed at those conventions compared to straight Anime ones (This Cosplay in America video shows many people who "grew out of" Anime conventions as they got older, or even just never was in that scene). They also seem to appeal more to entire families, so the parents have a chance to participate.

I guess most Anime conventions will be stuck in a certain demographic because of the American stigma with animation being for the young? Many Anime conventions seem to be transforming with the times, but in the opposite direction of comic conventions (Internet Meme and whatever else that draw that younger audience).

I think I'll try to take note of people at ACEN this year to kind of gauge the maturity factor. There was a thread on here recently about ACEN not having much Anime content for the older audience, maybe it has some truth just for how Anime conventions transform over time? We do easily see how series eventually die off in popularity and rarely see cosplay from them. Maybe it is partly because those people move on to more adult themed conventions.

#45 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I have seen many awesome family cosplays & older ones too over the years. Some times people who are older can spend the time & big bucks to make the better cosplay. Though some times the cheapest made cosplay for any age ends up being the best. I'm just curious, what age is the complainers? Also, if my Mom cosplayed, I'd be the happiest Daughter ever! She may not understand cosplay well, but she loves my cosplay, because she can finally see me a dress or skirt! Plus when allowed at work she will still dress up as some one for Halloween. It's nice to be some one else for a day or just to have fun. She once went as a mime for Halloween at work so she wouldn't have to answer questions for customers. It got chuckles out of them & she always took them to items.
Currently writing a book.

#46 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I wonder if there's a sense of fear from older people, like they'll be looked down upon?

Pardon the Pause

#47 User is offline   Foques 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61977

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

how can it be wrong?

Hell, when I turn 60-70, i'll buy me a wheelchair, shave my head, and move on as a professor X (or Ozwell Edward):D

This post has been edited by Foques: 16 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

#48 User is offline   magicalgamer 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59317

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostFoques, on 16 April 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Hell, when I turn 60-70, i'll buy me a wheelchair, shave my head, and move on as a professor X (or Ozwell Edward):D

At Gencon a few years back, I saw a pair of cosplayers as Gandolf and Saruman and you would have sworn they had a movie studio make-up crew and costume department following them around, the costumes were that good.

There is one girl I have seen who loves to cosplay. She uses a wheelchair and decided to deck out the wheelchair in a complete steampunk look.

Any person of any age can pull off any cosplay they want as long as they make a costume that fits their body. It is amaizing how good a costume will look IF it is properly fitting.

#49 User is offline   LK4D4 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19054

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I am currently 31, and still cosplaying happily with my girlfriend. Although, it takes a lot of effort to get started and finish since I don't watch as much as I used to, so less reference and enthusiasm.

My current costume endeavor will be This Guy.

#50 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hey since when is 30 old, yes it is creepy to see a 65 year old guy in lolita for no reason at all, but if its supposed to be a gag like he is with his daughter and granddaughter then that is an ocasion for comady, or applauding his bravery.

beside there are lots of characters that are adults that I play and will be able to do so for at least 20 more years since age is not really addressed in some things. and some kids in anime by the way are much older then they look chibbi usa for example is 900 years old, and lets not forget the cute lolita vampire characters that are centuries old, or yoda also 800 years old.

That said there is more then one way to skin a cat if you have a younger character and you have more wrinkles then a shar pie then think mask and makeup, or face cover, like a ninja, or something like an ambu black ops mask from naruto.

#51 User is offline   Mullenkamp 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Or maybe the 65 year old guy just likes the fashion. Hey, I'm dressing up as cartoon characters, so I've got no room to judge. ;)

#52 User is offline   Dark Kanine 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60877

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I saw people in there 50s it looked and they did peach mario and luigi
Dark Kanine (Steam)
Dark_Kanine (PSN)

#53 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 13 February 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

Doesn't matter if they are 60 or 12, as long as it's decent (as in it looks appropriate,) it's fine. That goes for any age.

Heck there was an elder Mario/Peach that were awesome.

THAT GROUP IS THERE EVERY YEAR AND I LOVE THEM
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#54 User is offline   LordFarquaad 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62191

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

I agree with a lot of what most people are saying. Cosplaying at conventions and love of anime shouldn't have an age limit. The reason for conventions is to be around people that share the same interests as yourself and I think it's wonderful that some older folks (no offense) are there sharing in our interests being part of our world. At least they're respectful and not one of the people that drive by yelling obscenities at you while you're walking to the con. That happened a lot. With that being said I think it's awesome no matter the age.
Already missing ACEN 2012 and being part of a world where no one judges you.

#55 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I don't think I'll cosplay when I'm ollld, but I will definitely wear a suit and look like a sir. But no one will take my picture :(
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#56 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I see no problem with it. It shouldn't be a problem with anybody. I'm in this category, and I enjoy doing what I do. Do whatever you feel is right. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#57 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18485

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm 35 and I was doing it in the Media Blasters booth, so you may have seen me there or in the dealer room in costume. I got a pic of the Mario group too.
For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

I need a girlfriend.... No, really.

#58 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Well it looks like I'll be 32 and cosplaying. Just need to figure out what I'm going to do.
2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#59 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

30 is NOT old. You're only as old as you feel, and age is ultimately just a number.

I have friends in their late 30s and 40s cosplaying, and people think their late 20s, maybe early 30s. Likewise, I have had friends in their late teens be mistaken for 20-somethings and older. What it boils down to is effort put in, and if you can/how you do pull it off; make the effort to make it look good, and the rest falls in place.

Cosplay is basically like Halloween throughout the year, and NOBODY is too "old" for Halloween. >:D
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#60 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59766

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

I saw a woman who was atleast 50 cosplaying Miku once. I thought that was really awesome. I'm 25 and sometimes I feel like an older cosplay as most of the ones I meet are teens. Although, I look really young for my age. People tend to think I'm 15-16.
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
flapper!fem!America (Hetalia - Original design)
maid!Nitori (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users