• You cannot reply to this topic

People over 30 Cosplaying? Older people in Cosplay

#1 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Curious, what do you guys feel about the idea of someone over the age of 35 cosplaying? Like someone in their 50s doing cosplay?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#2 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

I see nothing wrong with it. I love cute old people. =)
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

Doesn't matter if they are 60 or 12, as long as it's decent (as in it looks appropriate,) it's fine. That goes for any age.

Heck there was an elder Mario/Peach that were awesome.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

I find it awesome, especially if they're cosplaying with their families. It's a great hobby to bond with and share together.

#5 User is offline   gadgets 

• Has a Sweet Ride
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 19669

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

i find it to be awsome also
absinthe feels like a trail of fire going down

1 bottle of everclear
1bottle of becardi 151
2 bottles of absinth

Moto-Cosplay

and on another news.....My Bike is Paid off WoooHooo

#6 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

I absolutely adore it. It should be done more often and I remember ther Mario and Peach. They were so cute. I would love to do tht hen I'm older it's such a great hobby to have and share :D.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#7 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

It better be okay, because I'm over 30! (32, actually) and I cosplay at every con I attend. It matters not your age or body, it matters your love of the c-play. And it is an awesome family thing-my son and I were Jiji and Kiki from "Kiki's Delivery service" this Halloween.
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#8 User is offline   kitsune red 

• ADA Compliance
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 36791

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Really now we have to watch out for age discrimination as well as all or the usual stuff? Well I am over 30 and I cosplay. Perhaps you should rethink your point of view.

#9 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Having turned 30 this year, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it! :)

(actually I look forward to someday cosplaying older characters from series mwahahaha!)

#10 User is offline   vika838 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58943

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Speaking as someone who fits this category...anyone want to start tossing out ideas of anime characters who arent' teenagers? I know I can cosplay whoever I want, but I'm just curious as to what the adult options are. Needless to say, googling adult cosplay gave results I wasn't quite looking for :eek:
Love and Peace!

Vika!

#11 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Postvika838, on 13 February 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Speaking as someone who fits this category...anyone want to start tossing out ideas of anime characters who arent' teenagers? I know I can cosplay whoever I want, but I'm just curious as to what the adult options are. Needless to say, googling adult cosplay gave results I wasn't quite looking for :eek:

I would imagine that would bring up less than favorable results.

I would say start trying to look up more "serious/dramatic" series. (although that's a terrible way of putting it). Any series that has older characters would work well.

Here are some examples I can think of off the top of my head:

Ghost in the Shell - they're all adults working in a special unit of cops (ish. I'm trying to remember their exact unit).

Fullmetal Alchemist - Almost all of the cast would be considered "older" than the few main characters.

Baccano! - A good chunk of the cast is older. (I'd say at least early-mid 20's and above)

Tiger & Bunny - the superheroes mostly seem to be "adults" (mid-20s to older, in fact, I think the main character has a daughter too).

Anybody else know of series that has older casts?

#12 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

You don't have to be doing anime characters to do cosplay.

Manga characters, film (I see lotsa Star Wars characters....), characters from mythology, etc. And some of those characters are centuries old ya know...

Master Roshi (Kame Sen'nin/Muten Rōshi) taint no spring chicken (whatever a spring chicken is...) for example.
This space intentionally left blank.

#13 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postkitsune red, on 13 February 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Really now we have to watch out for age discrimination as well as all or the usual stuff? Well I am over 30 and I cosplay. Perhaps you should rethink your point of view.

I have nothing against older cosplayers, I"m 30 actually, my issue comes to others that get annoyed with it, or people like my father who like it, but get nervous around younger people who are cosplaying. Last year he went out for halloween dressed as nurse Joker and some jerk called out to him that old men shouldn't dress in costumes. So he's been a bit trepidatious about dressing up again. That's why I was asking about it.

I agree that discrimiation of any sort is terrible, but I have heard on other forums people saying how "gross" it is to see someone over a certain age dressing up in costume, so I was curious about the situation here at Acen. I hope this clarifies.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#14 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postvika838, on 13 February 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Adding to what Karmada and Obakasan said regarding using characters in more dramatic roles.

Pardon the Pause

#15 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

To hell with ageism!
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#16 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostKarmada, on 13 February 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

I would imagine that would bring up less than favorable results.

I would say start trying to look up more "serious/dramatic" series. (although that's a terrible way of putting it). Any series that has older characters would work well.

Here are some examples I can think of off the top of my head:

Ghost in the Shell - they're all adults working in a special unit of cops (ish. I'm trying to remember their exact unit).

It's called Public Security Section 9. ^_^ Yeah GITS has tons of older characters which is good if you are looking for older characters to cosplay. ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#17 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

A few to consider:

Anime: Most if not all the DragonBallZ cast are adults, Several characters from the Miyazaki collection, Monster, Various characters from a Indiana Jones series. If you're looking for modern one's that people will insta recongize from say more popular series.

Sven from Black Cat
Mr. Saten/Hurcule
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed cast
Some of the older versions of Gundam
There are so many I can't think of them all. Almost all Anime's have older characters in there in one form or another.

Videogames:

Layton
Pheonix Wright or Edgeworth
Solid Snake
Some of the older characters from Fire Emblem
ETC. Same as above

Comics: That list is too large

Regular animation: Various Disney characters.

Pardon the Pause

#18 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 13 February 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Last year he went out for halloween dressed as nurse Joker and some jerk called out to him that old men shouldn't dress in costumes.

That's when he's allowed to get in character and make a snappy comeback about taking their peanut butter cups.

#19 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 13 February 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

That's when he's allowed to get in character and make a snappy comeback about taking their peanut butter cups.

I should have let him do that, but i was worried about a fight because the guy seemed rather...er...mean looking.

Pardon the Pause

#20 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postobakasan, on 13 February 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

You don't have to be doing anime characters to do cosplay.

Manga characters, film (I see lotsa Star Wars characters....), characters from mythology, etc. And some of those characters are centuries old ya know...

Master Roshi (Kame Sen'nin/Muten Rōshi) taint no spring chicken (whatever a spring chicken is...) for example.

True dat-I'm cosplaying as a Tetris screen...no joke :P
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#21 User is offline   Naima Katara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61448

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I loved seeing the "older" (and I use quotes because they're really not that much older) cosplayers last year at ACen. There was a couple cosplaying Batman and Batgirl and they were absolutely awesome! It's sweet that they're still in to it. On a related note, my friend's mom is taking us to ComiCon and she's going to cosplay with us. She's in her 50s. How awesome is that??
ACen 2013 cosplays
Chidori: Persona 3
Zoe: Firefly
Lenalee: D Gray Man
Tsubaki: Soul Eater

#22 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

I'll be the big 30 by ACEN, but I'm not planning on cosplaying this year. However, it has nothing to do with age. ^_^

#23 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostNaima Katara, on 16 February 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

I loved seeing the "older" (and I use quotes because they're really not that much older) cosplayers last year at ACen. There was a couple cosplaying Batman and Batgirl and they were absolutely awesome! It's sweet that they're still in to it. On a related note, my friend's mom is taking us to ComiCon and she's going to cosplay with us. She's in her 50s. How awesome is that??

Oh what's she going as, I've been trying to get my mom to try cosplaying.

Pardon the Pause

#24 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

I turned 31 last year at ACen, people thought I was 10 years younger.

This post has been edited by myrla: 20 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#25 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Well Im 31 and am cosplaying.. My roomie is well into her 40's and doing the same. There are tons of characters that can be cosplayed as an adult, why not do it!!
2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#26 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Age is something to take into account as to who you're cosplaying, IMO, but don't think that because you reach a certain age, you have to stop cosplaying. Just don't try to cosplay someone that is too much of an age difference and you should be fine, though from what I've seen, cosplaying someone who looks older than you rather than someone who looks younger usually works out better.

The woman who I'm getting my costume commissioned from cosplays as Professor McGonnagall from Harry Potter. I won't be 30 for a few years but if I can still pull off a younger character, why not? I mean, some characters even work out better if you're older. IE Various Gundam characters as previously said, multiple characters from Rurouni Kenshin, various captains from Bleach, Yubaba from Spirited Away, Scar from FMA, adults from Fruits Basket, GITS, and Tiger and Bunny...
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K14 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit)- D. Gray Man, Lio Izumi- Full Moon wo Sagashite, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Kamui Gakupo (Fate/Rebirth outfit)- Vocaloid

My Flickr- click for my photos

#27 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

my first acen i saw a married couple dressed as kagome and inuyasha pushing a baby girl dressed as kilala <3 it was the photo op of acen! they even let the baby crawl around on the floor, it was sooooo cute! i have a baby face even though i'm coming up on 24 this year (most people guess 14 X3) so i intend to cosplay till i turn to dust, but if cosplay is done right age is never a factor
ACen 2014

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done CANT WAIT TO GET PHOTOS WITH ALL OF YOU!

#28 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

I don't think age should matter at all, but I do believe that you should try to coordinate a cosplay with how you look. No one wants to see a 90 year old Lum cosplayer. Now, there was an older Mario and Peach cosplay couple and that was ridiculously adorable so it isn't really a matter of age, it's more about what you choose to do with it.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#29 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostVoxx, on 22 February 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

I don't think age should matter at all, but I do believe that you should try to coordinate a cosplay with how you look. No one wants to see a 90 year old Lum cosplayer. Now, there was an older Mario and Peach cosplay couple and that was ridiculously adorable so it isn't really a matter of age, it's more about what you choose to do with it.

I rememeber those 2! the Mario had a hammer kind of like a cane lol. I honestly dont think it matters so long as its appropriate. and like all other cosplays the outfit is nice and suits you well lol.

#30 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

I only have 2 requirements for older people cosplaying:
1. PLEASE wear something that's flattering and doesn't make us want to shield our eyes...(but this goes for all ages)
2. Don't be that creeper older guy that goes around following younger girls and hitting on them. Once you're over 30, you should start looking for appropriate aged women, not the ones that look like they're in high school
Other than that, everyone should be able to cosplay to their heart's desire! I'm sure I'll still be cosplaying when I'm 30+ :)
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users