Anime Central Forums: Some help with feathers for a cosplay - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Some help with feathers for a cosplay The easiest way to do this?

#1 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 15801

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Ever since I started playing Final Fantasy 13-2, I wanted to cosplay as Chocolina. --> http://www.gamespot....images/1589291/

I was wondering how can I go about making the feathers that attach to her bottom? I had a plan for the wing parts on her arms, but if anyone that has experience with feathers be able to please give me some advice on this? x__x

Thank you!
~ACen 2014!~
~Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)--Finished
~Klavier Gavin (Apollo Justice)----Finished
~Pocahontas --------75%
~Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater)----Finished
~Lea (Kingdom Hearts: BBS) --------Finished
"Xion dies, Axel is alone, Roxas' life is a lie. Oh, and they never get to the beach.
THIS IS A DISNEY GAME. >_> " -CheesyGranola (358/2 summary)

#2 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Well iddno if this is going to help much but Here is somewhere to buy some feathers just use red sharpie or something to put in the red in the feathers.

And as for attaching them to your bottom it depends on the material the pants are made of.

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 05 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#3 User is offline   basili1250 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51718

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Here's a big question - how feathery do you want those feathers to be? Is it very important they they remain soft and feathery or could they be stiff?
ACen 2009: Industrial Steam Punk
ACen 2010: Batou (first Ghost in the Shell film appearance)
ACen 2011: Human cosplay
ACen 2012: Father Cornello (FMA)
ACen 2013: Wreck-It-Ralph, Free (Soul Eater
ACen 2014: Iskander/Rider (Fate/Zero)

#4 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

View Postbasili1250, on 06 February 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Here's a big question - how feathery do you want those feathers to be? Is it very important they they remain soft and feathery or could they be stiff?

Either or, not being picky on this one. As long as it looks good. I tried to make one composed of red fluffy feathers with the yellow ones at the end (although I thought the yellow ones were fluffy...they weren't). The red ones looked nice but since the yellow ones weren't fluffy it just made it look...awkward.

I used a peacock feather as a base (because it was 34" in length)...

So yea, at this point I'll take any suggestions it doesn't matter if they're fluffy or not

This post has been edited by Flame_Alchemist2002: 07 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

~ACen 2014!~
~Pocahontas --------75%
"Xion dies, Axel is alone, Roxas' life is a lie. Oh, and they never get to the beach.

#5 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Post-JUNK-, on 05 February 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

Well iddno if this is going to help much but Here is somewhere to buy some feathers just use red sharpie or something to put in the red in the feathers.

And as for attaching them to your bottom it depends on the material the pants are made of.

Those are so colorful @__@

I think they send you random lengths though...I tried using peacock feathers as a base and it worked out pretty well. As for the materials, I'm altering a pair of shorts and applying a type of red lining over it, and then red sheer over that to make it shiny. I think the red lining is made of polyester.
~ACen 2014!~
~Pocahontas --------75%

#6 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Well, if you're going for real feathers, you could use the feather extension technique from here: http://www.whatishcc.../angelwings.php Basically, you take two regular feathers, cut the top off one, and glue it to the bottom of the other. It works surprisingly well. However, you do end up with a pronounced curve to the superlong feather if you chain a bunch of them in this way.

Otherwise, I've seen good wings made out of stiffened felt, muslin, or craft foam. With those, you could just cut the material to the size you needed.

Dyeing feathers is fairly easy and I think it can be done with RIT dye. Last time I hand-dyed feathers, there was a website selling "feather dye powder" that I used. The site has since gone out of business, but I believe "feather dye" is just the same stuff in RIT or other storebought dyes like it (and man did I feel gypped when I figured that out!). However, you'll need to "fluff" the feathers back up after their dye job by steaming them individually. THAT part takes forever!

The pheasant feathers are also a good suggestion, as you can buy them at gigantic lengths. I like plumesnfeathers.com for buying feathers. You can buy individual feathers by length, but i'm not sure they offer dye services anymore. I believe Rainbow Feathers comes recommended, too. I've not bought from them but it appears from their website that they also offer individual feathers by length and some options for dyes.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd try to keep it consistent between her arm and hip feathers -- that is, if you're using real feathers for her arms, try to use real feathers for her hips, and if you're making feathers for her arms, try to use the same material to make her hip feathers, too.

Hope this helps!

#7 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostTokoz, on 09 February 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Well, if you're going for real feathers, you could use the feather extension technique from here: http://www.whatishcc.../angelwings.php Basically, you take two regular feathers, cut the top off one, and glue it to the bottom of the other. It works surprisingly well. However, you do end up with a pronounced curve to the superlong feather if you chain a bunch of them in this way.

Otherwise, I've seen good wings made out of stiffened felt, muslin, or craft foam. With those, you could just cut the material to the size you needed.

Dyeing feathers is fairly easy and I think it can be done with RIT dye. Last time I hand-dyed feathers, there was a website selling "feather dye powder" that I used. The site has since gone out of business, but I believe "feather dye" is just the same stuff in RIT or other storebought dyes like it (and man did I feel gypped when I figured that out!). However, you'll need to "fluff" the feathers back up after their dye job by steaming them individually. THAT part takes forever!

The pheasant feathers are also a good suggestion, as you can buy them at gigantic lengths. I like plumesnfeathers.com for buying feathers. You can buy individual feathers by length, but i'm not sure they offer dye services anymore. I believe Rainbow Feathers comes recommended, too. I've not bought from them but it appears from their website that they also offer individual feathers by length and some options for dyes.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd try to keep it consistent between her arm and hip feathers -- that is, if you're using real feathers for her arms, try to use real feathers for her hips, and if you're making feathers for her arms, try to use the same material to make her hip feathers, too.

Hope this helps!

I was really hoping to use Ostrich Nandu feathers since they aren't super fluffy like regular ostrich feathers and stick straight out like her feathers. The problem is using the dye. I was told by one friend to just mix sharpie and vinegar in a spray bottle and spray onto feathers? I never tried the sharpie thing before and I'm a little afraid of using Acid Dye (only acid is vinegar) because I don't want to ruin the feathers >_<

this is the site I was planning on getting them from once white becomes available again---> http://www.save-on-c...feathers13.html
~ACen 2014!~
~Pocahontas --------75%

#8 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostFlame_Alchemist2002, on 22 February 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

I was really hoping to use Ostrich Nandu feathers since they aren't super fluffy like regular ostrich feathers and stick straight out like her feathers. The problem is using the dye. I was told by one friend to just mix sharpie and vinegar in a spray bottle and spray onto feathers? I never tried the sharpie thing before and I'm a little afraid of using Acid Dye (only acid is vinegar) because I don't want to ruin the feathers >_<

this is the site I was planning on getting them from once white becomes available again---> http://www.save-on-c...feathers13.html

Oh, those nandu feathers look good! :) Sharpie is alcohol-based, so it wouldn't be my first thought for feathers (for wigs and synthetics, absolutely, though). You won't ruin the feathers with the amount of vinegar needed for an acid dye. When I was doing mine, it was only a couple tablespoons in a big pot of water. The dye just needs a little boost to penetrate the feather; you won't be dyeing in all vinegar! Fiber-reactive dyes probably won't work as well with the proteins in feathers (fiber-reactive is more for plant materials like cotton), and anyway, I think those need the more esoteric soda ash to fix them. Rit dye is also just as inexpensive as sharpies (and a little goes a long way). Feathers that get wet, though, do lose their "fluffiness" and look very sad when they dry. To make them happy again, you have to steam them. Then they fluff right back up. Let me see if I have pictures from my dyeing adventures...

Okay, here's an undyed feather, fresh from the bag (this is a completely different feather from the next two): http://pics.livejour...ic/0003hqpz/g12
Here's a feather after dying: http://pics.livejour...ic/0004h24s/g12
Here's the same dyed feather after re-fluffing with steam: http://pics.livejour...ic/0004ktrt/g12

I'd buy some cheap "tester" feathers to practice on first, so you can get the color right. I lost a fair number this way, before I got smart and put in some practice feathers first.

Another option if you're not comfortable with dyes would be paint. I'd go with a thin-bodied paint so as not to weigh down the feathers. Something like Jacquard's NeoPaque line or a paint made for silkpainting like Setasilk (http://www.dharmatra...nav=paints.html). They're a little pricey, but really nice quality. I have no idea if it will work on the nandu, them being fluffier than an average feather, but it's an idea.

Oh, I have my instructions somewhere; I'll go on an expedition in my craft room and see if I can find them. I know I saved them somewhere...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users