Anime Central Forums: Question: How does someone go about setting up a D&D game at ACen? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Question: How does someone go about setting up a D&D game at ACen? I have emailed all addresses I can find & have not received any an

#1 User is offline   blonjo 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61350

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hopefully someone here can help me...

I have been trying to find out who I would need to have my boyfriend contact about setting up a D&D game at ACen this year. This game is run at Dragon*Con in Atlanta every year since 2008, and has had a huge turn-out for it every year since. He's interested in running it at ACen this year since I go every year. I have now emailed 4 different addresses, multiple times in the past 3 months, and have been checking all the folders for my email account to make sure I didn't miss it, so I know I haven't. I'm getting really frustrated since ACen is slowly getting closer and I have no answers for him still.

I am really hoping someone here can help me and I can get this done...

#2 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Doesn't acen already have a room for this?
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#3 User is offline   cid_highwind 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1116

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Does he just want to run a game casually? If that is the case, he should just be able to grab a table in the game room and try to get people to join. He could also post a topic and try to find people beforehand on the forums.

I'm not staff but I've spent a lot of time in the gaming rooms in previous years and that's what I've seen happen.
www.capesandcartridges.com

#4 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

I'm Video Gaming so I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure that the Table Top DH has been getting the emails sent to his account. His ACen email is tabletopgaming-dh@acen.org, is that one of the ones you tried?
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

#5 User is offline   Eneishi 

• TTG Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 61339

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

Talk to either the Department Head or the ADA. They will guide you to the person who is running the RPGs. Talk to this person and you should be able to start it during free play or, if you're lucky, when they actually have the D and D event.

#6 User is offline   blonjo 

• Pip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostHikari189, on 17 January 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

I'm Video Gaming so I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure that the Table Top DH has been getting the emails sent to his account. His ACen email is tabletopgaming-dh@acen.org, is that one of the ones you tried?

Yea, that's one of the one's I've tried.

#7 User is offline   blonjo 

• Pip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

View Postcid_highwind, on 17 January 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

Does he just want to run a game casually? If that is the case, he should just be able to grab a table in the game room and try to get people to join. He could also post a topic and try to find people beforehand on the forums.

I'm not staff but I've spent a lot of time in the gaming rooms in previous years and that's what I've seen happen.

I would suggest that to him, but he's not that big of an Anime fan to want to hang out all day hoping to game. He likes some but most of the popular stuff isn't his style. I don't know how it's run at ACen, but I know at Dragon*Con and GenCon you have to register to run and to play the D&D games. Like I said, I go to ACen every year, but I'm there to see all the cosplayers, go to panels, and shop for all the anime I can afford. He went with me for a day about 3 years ago and was ready to leave about 2 hours after getting there. He is all about his game (which I've played and it is so much fun) and so he likes to have pretty big groups. I handed out cards for it last year (so interested parties could look it up online) and there was enough interest in it that he wanted to see about running it there. I just don't know what else to do since I haven't received any emails back.

#8 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

I would suggest keeping it simple as a long term campaign won't come out of this and making characters is a process that does take time.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#9 User is offline   Gozer Games 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17117

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Postblonjo, on 18 January 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

I would suggest that to him, but he's not that big of an Anime fan to want to hang out all day hoping to game. He likes some but most of the popular stuff isn't his style. I don't know how it's run at ACen, but I know at Dragon*Con and GenCon you have to register to run and to play the D&D games. Like I said, I go to ACen every year, but I'm there to see all the cosplayers, go to panels, and shop for all the anime I can afford. He went with me for a day about 3 years ago and was ready to leave about 2 hours after getting there. He is all about his game (which I've played and it is so much fun) and so he likes to have pretty big groups. I handed out cards for it last year (so interested parties could look it up online) and there was enough interest in it that he wanted to see about running it there. I just don't know what else to do since I haven't received any emails back.

I'm having the same problem with the new DH of tabletop gaming. I have tried several emails about running our games at Acen at scheduled times and getting in the program book as we have done for the past 4 years, with no response. Are the emails not working or is the DH not getting them or not responding? We would really like to bring Collateral Damage: The Anime Board Game and others back to Acen this year.
Gozer Games, LLC
Creator of Collateral Damage: The Anime Board Game
http://www.gozergames.com

#10 User is offline   Eneishi 

• TTG Staff
  • Pip

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

There is an "open gaming" time frame scheduled.... I would suggest you just bring your games then... considering that's what it is made for.

#11 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would suggest maybe PMing the person rather then emailing, or, try to get in contact with one of the other DH's and see if they can help you find out what's going on. I'd also suggest that you mention this in the Suggestions/Gripes section and see if anyone will notice. Doing this is also a good start. Again I say PM one of the other DH or Assistant DH of Tabletops and see what they say.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#12 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

What email address were you using?
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#13 User is offline   Gozer Games 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 22 February 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

What email address were you using?

tabletopgaming@acen.org the same email I've used for the past 4 years.
Gozer Games, LLC

#14 User is offline   Gozer Games 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 22 February 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

I would suggest maybe PMing the person rather then emailing, or, try to get in contact with one of the other DH's and see if they can help you find out what's going on. I'd also suggest that you mention this in the Suggestions/Gripes section and see if anyone will notice. Doing this is also a good start. Again I say PM one of the other DH or Assistant DH of Tabletops and see what they say.

That would be great, if I knew who to PM. I should not have to resort to PMing someone on an offshoot forum for a convention, when the main avenue of contact, email (according to the Acen site) is not effective. Would you please provide a list of usernames for who I should contact?
Gozer Games, LLC

#15 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have provided him with some additional ways to try and contact the DH.

(mainly a note for other mods)
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#16 User is offline   Eneishi 

• TTG Staff
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

If there's open gaming... why flood the DH's inbox with your requests to play a certain game? Bring it during open gaming hours and see if anyone wants to play. That is the point of it. You're most likely NOT going to get your own dedicated space and time for a game not on the schedule. These open gaming events are there for a reason. I suggest you use them.

#17 User is offline   Gozer Games 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostEneishi, on 24 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

If there's open gaming... why flood the DH's inbox with your requests to play a certain game? Bring it during open gaming hours and see if anyone wants to play. That is the point of it. You're most likely NOT going to get your own dedicated space and time for a game not on the schedule. These open gaming events are there for a reason. I suggest you use them.

This is the point, however. For the past four years Gozer Games has had dedicated space and times to run our games on the schedule, including in the printed schedule and with prize support. We even had a life-size version of Collateral Damage: The Anime Board Game 2 years ago, which went over really well. We are not looking for open gaming, but to schedule our events, which we have done with the tabletop gaming DH every year. I realize that this year there is a new DH of tabletop gaming, but that should not invalidate the past years' effort that we have gone through. If there is no clear line of communication, then how can anything be scheduled?

I have received additional email addresses to try from Alkaren Hyralt, and have yet to receive a response back. I am hoping that I hear back soon, since we are getting rapidly closer to deadlines.
Gozer Games, LLC

#18 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostEneishi, on 24 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

These words on the screen are there for a reason. I suggest you read them.

Note the username "Gozer Games". Note the signature of the user. Note the actual complaint brought forward.

This isn't a request to play a certain game. This is a request from a game company owner to showcase his games. Said company has supported ACen with product and programming for multiple years. ACen has always supported game companies by providing space in the game room and listed times in the program book. That's part of why the gaming room exists.

#19 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

@Gozer Games: Might be a good idea to maybe email someone above the DH then if you own a company. Tell them what's going on, given that I would think that a gaming company would be on top priority. I'm mentioning this because of time and space that they have, I hope you get your space soon, I remember seeing you last year and was curious about looking into the game this year.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#20 User is offline   Eneishi 

• TTG Staff
  • Pip

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostRoark, on 27 February 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

These words on the screen are there for a reason. I suggest you read them.

Note the username "Gozer Games". Note the signature of the user. Note the actual complaint brought forward.

This isn't a request to play a certain game. This is a request from a game company owner to showcase his games. Said company has supported ACen with product and programming for multiple years. ACen has always supported game companies by providing space in the game room and listed times in the program book. That's part of why the gaming room exists.

Actually, the original complaint was not from or for them... if you read the words on the screen. derp.

#21 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

This has been addressed and they are in contact. I'm closing the thread.
This is my signature. It is only one line.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users