• You cannot reply to this topic

Katawa Shoujo

#1 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59556

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'm curious if anyone has heard of or played this visual novel game yet and what you think about it. I first heard of it about a week ago by a friend telling me, "oh hey, 4chan made a date sim game about disabled girls". I just did some quick digging around the net to find out a little more about the game and learned it wasn't actually 4chan itself but a group of forum goers that got together to do this and also that the title itself was of much controversy due to it's faux pas-ness in Japanese language. My initial thought was that of intrigue assuming it would probably be so extreme and off color like a car wreck that I had to just check it out. Ya know, for funz.

I downloaded the game (it's free) and started to play/read through it and to my surprise it actually wasn't what I thought it was to be. As a matter of fact, I thought they presented the subject matter in a pretty delicate way and the story was actually... pretty emotional. I've done a couple of the paths now and it's like I can't get enough. Getting to know the characters and such, I ended up just going on on and on. Anyways...

I haven't played many of these visual novel games, but I enjoyed this one and would probably suggest it at least for one read through. I saw there was a VN thread but thought this game probably deserved it's own thread.

Official website:
http://katawa-shoujo.com/
My friends call me HADOUKEN because I'm down (▼) right (►) FIERCE!
Get it??

Thursday Late Night Meet n' Greet v3

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#2 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've played through a few of the character routes already, and even as a seasoned Visual Novel player, I have to say the work on Katawa Shoujo is amazing for an unofficial group project.

The way they approach the subject matter and work around it gives you more respect for the people who do live life disabled if through natural defect or tragic accident. It's more of an eye opener than anything else.

The Ero scenes don't hurt it's case either. Though there is an option to turn those off in the options menu.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#3 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

The ero scenes were okay I suppose. Honestly I almost felt like some of them took away from the... sweetness of the story I think.

My first playthrough ended up being Emi and I didn't get the "good" ending. I was like wtf!? This is seriously how it ends!? I feel so empty!

I went back and got the good one and felt way better though. Haha
Get it??

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#4 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Rin so far has been the best route I've played though thus far IMO.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#5 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Yea, I did like hers a lot too. It was a bit infuriating having to deal with her and how it felt like you were getting nowhere. But that last scene pretty much made the whole thing worth it. A big ahhhhhhhhhhhh was definitely had.
Get it??

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users