Anime Central Forums: ACen 2012 Hallway Contest - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ACen 2012 Hallway Contest Come in, read the changes, make suggestions!

#1 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2371

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

It's your neighborhood friendly Hallway Contest Master, Jessie! ACen is certain sneaking up on us this year.

Lots of things are changing this year. Just trying to better cater for you guys' needs! Remember that there is no pre-reg for the Hallway, you just show up and fill out a form!

What is the same:

AWARDS LIST
-Best Individual Novice (Friday and Saturday)
-Best Individual Journeyman (Friday and Saturday)
-Best Group (One for both)
-Best Prop (One for both)
-Three judges awards (One for both)
-Rising Star (One for both)
-Best Child (One for both days and only if a minimum of three compete)
-Best American Based Cosplay (One for both)
-The Thriftiness Award (Closet Cosplay)(One for both)

RULES
-The person who made your costume must be present to answer questions by the judges.
-You MAY NOT compete with the same costume in the Hallway and the Masquerade. I go to both events, if I see you wearing the same costume, you will be disqualified.
-You may compete both days, but the costumes must be different and you can only compete once per day.
-If a part of your costume (prop, wig) was made by someone else, you must tell the judges.
-You need to bring at least one progress photo that is visible to the judges via print out, cell phone, ipod, computer, etc (we will be lax on this rule)

What is different:

Okay, the biggest problem I have every year is figuring out the hours. This year they are going to be VERY different. So this is what I am thinking for this year, opening on Thursday for a couple hours for the people who work and are in the artist alley. Closing earlier on Saturday to allow more time to get ready for the Masquerade.

This is what I have in mind:

Thursday
5PM-7PM

Friday
12PM-2:30PM
BREAK
5:00PM-7:30PM

Saturday
10AM-2PM

Sunday
Feedback panel

Let me know what you guys think. I'll put up the registration forms in the next couple of days if you want to fill them out early.

We'll have lots of really great prizes this year as well!

This post has been edited by ThatOneChick: 30 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Don't forget the rabies. Everything taste better with rabies. YAY rabies!

JessiePridemore.com Cosplay deviantART

#2 User is offline   Pau-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26871

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Where will it be at at the convention? I would love to try this :)
Tentative ACen 2013 Cosplays:

**TBA:Confirmation**

#3 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostPau-chan, on 01 January 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Where will it be at at the convention? I would love to try this :)

We won't have our room until closer to the con. I will announce it as soon as we do :3

#4 User is offline   Pau-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 26871

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on 01 January 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

We won't have our room until closer to the con. I will announce it as soon as we do :3

Absolutely awesomes. :3 Can't wait!
Tentative ACen 2013 Cosplays:

**TBA:Confirmation**

#5 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thursday hours? That would be awesome for me since I am in the AA this year! :D
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#6 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I can't seem to find this info anywhere... what is the difference between Novice and Journeyman? I have never made an entire cosplay from scratch, but I am planning on doing that for this contest, so what category would I be in?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#7 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 01 January 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

I can't seem to find this info anywhere... what is the difference between Novice and Journeyman? I have never made an entire cosplay from scratch, but I am planning on doing that for this contest, so what category would I be in?

Novice!

#8 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 01 January 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Novice is if you've never competed or have won no awards. You move up to Journeyman once you've won awards for costumes (usually one or two bigger awards, and the definition of this varies by convention). You move up to Master once you've won a bunch of awards :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#9 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

A Thursday slot sounds amazing! I've never been able to enter due to being stuck in the AA. Now I just have to see if I can actually get there and get signed in early enough... my group has a horrible penchant for showing up to ACen closer to 9 pm. D:

And even though I've made around, oh, 40 costumes, I'd still count as a Novice since I've never competed? I think I asked this three years ago, but I don't remember the answer (and of course then it was only like 30 costumes, lol). ^_^;;
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

#10 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostKnitChick, on 04 January 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

Novice is if you've never competed or have won no awards. You move up to Journeyman once you've won awards for costumes (usually one or two bigger awards, and the definition of this varies by convention). You move up to Master once you've won a bunch of awards :)

It's a bit more complicated than that.

View PostGwydion, on 05 January 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

And even though I've made around, oh, 40 costumes, I'd still count as a Novice since I've never competed? I think I asked this three years ago, but I don't remember the answer (and of course then it was only like 30 costumes, lol). ^_^;;

For the most part the judges are going to put you where you belong based on the people that enter, so don't worry about this too much. If you aren'y every experienced, but novice, if you are really experienced, but journeyman.

#11 User is offline   Airashii 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61477

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Is the American Based Cosplay like Original Design or is it just for people that want to cosplay things like Webcomics, Starwars, or whatever else.

This post has been edited by Airashii: 15 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

#12 User is offline   pepperbots 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59228

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Expanding the hours to include Thursday is a fantastic idea! Would the Thursday timeslot be competing for Friday awards then? So, Thursday and Friday are "day 1", and Saturday is "day 2"?
ACen 2013 Cosplays: Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)
-
ACParadise | Facebook

#13 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Count me in
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#14 User is offline   Cartwight 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57397

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Where/when do you announce the winners?
2012 Costumes:
Kiyoshi Warrior Ty Lee - Avatar: TLA; Rin - Fate/Stay Night

#15 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostAirashii, on 15 February 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Is the American Based Cosplay like Original Design or is it just for people that want to cosplay things like Webcomics, Starwars, or whatever else.

I believe it's for any sort of cosplay, though I don't think orignal design is counted. You can have Western or Eastern cosplay based on various media, if I understand corretly. Hopefully next year I will be entering this with my costume. *crosses fingers*
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#16 User is online   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sorry for asking this and if it is ranked as a "dumb question," due to the fact I've never competed what is the "Rising Star" category?
Thanks ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#17 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

I may try to enter this too. I think the Rising Star catagory is someone that's on the verge of going from the Hallway to the main masqurade, though I'm probably off on that.

I may try to enter this too. I think the Rising Star catagory is someone that's on the verge of going from the Hallway to the main masqurade, though I'm probably off on that.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#18 User is online   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 22 February 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

I see. that makes sense though. But wait, wouldn't that mean in a way to be in the masquerade you have to have had some kind of success in the Hallway Contest to participate in the masquerade?
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#19 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 February 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

I see. that makes sense though. But wait, wouldn't that mean in a way to be in the masquerade you have to have had some kind of success in the Hallway Contest to participate in the masquerade?

I don't think so. Hummm, maybe our DH or ADH could clarify more?

Pardon the Pause

#20 User is offline   pepperbots 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59228

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 February 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Sorry for asking this and if it is ranked as a "dumb question," due to the fact I've never competed what is the "Rising Star" category?
Thanks ^_^

Here's what I dug up from the archives when this award was first introduced: "The Rising Star Award goes to the individual I see as being the person with the highest amount of potential with limited experience."

It sounds like it's an award that goes to someone who didn't quite make it in one of the other awards, but did a really great job and has a lot of potential. I'm sure the ADH (or DH) will chime in on this for an official take though. :)
ACen 2013 Cosplays: Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)
-
ACParadise | Facebook

#21 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

View Postpepperbots, on 23 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Here's what I dug up from the archives when this award was first introduced: "The Rising Star Award goes to the individual I see as being the person with the highest amount of potential with limited experience."

It sounds like it's an award that goes to someone who didn't quite make it in one of the other awards, but did a really great job and has a lot of potential. I'm sure the ADH (or DH) will chime in on this for an official take though. :)

Interesting, I like that idea. Seems like a fair thing for the person that they want to vote for but didn't quiet make the list.

Pardon the Pause

#22 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostAirashii, on 15 February 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Pretty much anything that doesn't fit into the other categories that is American based. We do not allow original designs unless it's Gajinka or something. It has to be based on something.

View Postpepperbots, on 21 February 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Expanding the hours to include Thursday is a fantastic idea! Would the Thursday timeslot be competing for Friday awards then? So, Thursday and Friday are "day 1", and Saturday is "day 2"?

They will be considered with Friday. The hours are also going to have to change. The earliest flight I can get gets in about 4:30.

View PostCartwight, on 21 February 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Where/when do you announce the winners?

During the Masquerade.

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 February 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Thanks ^_^

It;s actually considered the highest award in the Hallway. It's who I view as the person with the most potential in the whole contest and who I hope to see compete in the Masquerade next year.

#23 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on 23 February 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Pretty much anything that doesn't fit into the other categories that is American based. We do not allow original designs unless it's Gajinka or something. It has to be based on something.

It;s actually considered the highest award in the Hallway. It's who I view as the person with the most potential in the whole contest and who I hope to see compete in the Masquerade next year.

To the first quote: What qualifies as Gajinka? A human Mewtwo? Would a human version of the Transformer Dinobot be part of this catagory?

To the second quote: How do you judge this, mostly curious about your criteria. :)

Pardon the Pause

#24 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 23 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

To the first quote: What qualifies as Gajinka? A human Mewtwo? Would a human version of the Transformer Dinobot be part of this catagory?

To the second quote: How do you judge this, mostly curious about your criteria. :)

Yes, I would also consider that a Gajinka.

It's a mixture of craftsmanship, how long you've been cosplaying, your experience as far as awards and contests go. Every year the person who wins has a different "air" about them. It's hard to explain. Someone who really catches my eye who I feel demonstrates what cosplaying is about. Really passionate about it. Does it for fun.

#25 User is offline   Cellomanlove 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61246

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Do you need to be present at the Masquerade to win?
2014 Cosplays
-Fate/Zero: Maiya Hisau
-Kyoukai no Kanata: Mirai Kuriyama (idol version)
-Kill la Kill: Satsuki Kiryuin

learning-to-sew.tumblr.com

#26 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostCellomanlove, on 23 February 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Do you need to be present at the Masquerade to win?

No, but if you're not, it makes it a lot harder for us to give you your award! Haven't had anyone miss showing up yet, but I probably just jinxed myself! You get a phone call if you won an award and special seats to watch the show.

#27 User is offline   Lance 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10512

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostThatOneChick, on 23 February 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

No, but if you're not, it makes it a lot harder for us to give you your award! Haven't had anyone miss showing up yet, but I probably just jinxed myself! You get a phone call if you won an award and special seats to watch the show.

Ooh, that's handy! I didn't know that! Would winners be encouraged to come with the winning costume?

#28 User is offline   ThatOneChick 

• Masquerade ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

View PostLance, on 04 April 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Ooh, that's handy! I didn't know that! Would winners be encouraged to come with the winning costume?

It is not required, no. If all goes to plan, we'll be able to display a photo of your winning costume on the screen for everyone to see!

#29 User is offline   chamgirl89 

• Tentacle Glomper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10098

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Here's my newbie question. Let's say I want to do this on Friday. Do I have to show up exactly at noon, or can it be any time between 12 and 2:30? Thanks for answering!
Tekosexual

cosplay plans for '14- Friday: Battle City Mai Valentine (Yugioh), gijinka Tentacool (Pokemon). Saturday: Casual Mamoru (Sailor Moon), Gracia Hughes (original FMA), Lady Bow (Paper Mario), Fluttershy (MLP: Friendship is Magic)

add me on Facebook!

#30 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

I got a question. My cosplay isnt technically japanese but a Canadian DJ would that still count as cosplay :/ no hurt feelings if its a no
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users