• This topic is locked

Singles Gathering singles

#91 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59556

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

It seemed like people were on board and having a little fun with it to me. In my opinion it would probably make for a less tense event, should it go down that is. But honestly I don't think anyone was intending for malice with the light hearted-ness of the conversation. And if things seemed otherwise than much apologies.
My friends call me HADOUKEN because I'm down (▼) right (►) FIERCE!
Get it??

Thursday Late Night Meet n' Greet v3

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#92 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thats fine and I honestly don't think any bad feelings were meant. I would have been a lot more aggressive had I thought the intent of those involved was malicious, lol. But I also know how it feels to have this idea you think is really cool, only to have 10 people gang up and mock it.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#93 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 06 March 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

But I also know how it feels to have this idea you think is really cool, only to have 10 people gang up and mock it.

I know the feeling. I've made attempts at wrestling PPV gatherings on Facebook because others have expressed interest and had a few rude responses to it. They weren't like the ones on here though, they were more rude, lol.

Anyway, a suggestion to Blackcat and those interested, why not try a lunch/dinner gathering? It could be at the hotel, Denny's, McDonalds, wherever. I think hunger could gather people together when necessary. :) That or if you can find a panel you all want to go to, perhaps a pre/post- meetup?
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#94 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostIsamu, on 06 March 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'm willing to meet anyone and everyone if possible. Heck, for half of the con you can find me in my office(the red bar).
As far as giving out my number goes, I have to meet you before that happens.

I'm a choosen one! =P
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#95 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

I too am chosen... wait... what??? Oh my...
Get it??

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#96 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Thats fine and I honestly don't think any bad feelings were meant. I would have been a lot more aggressive had I thought the intent of those involved was malicious, lol. But I also know how it feels to have this idea you think is really cool, only to have 10 people gang up and mock it.

I actually think this is a really good idea - the more opportunities to get people together, the more likely people will meet someone special, right?
I only mock to hide my own insecurities. :3
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#97 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

On that note, I understand it too. I defintely wasnt bashing, but I must admit im not all for idea, but that shouldn't stop someone.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#98 User is offline   Soren Kisamora 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59725

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

meeting up for acen fun? i'd love to! as long as the male-female ratio thing doesn't go all one sided, as mentioned before >.<
"I don't need to prove that i'm right,i simply need to prove that you're wrong".
Acen '11-White mage[FF XI]

#99 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostSoren Kisamora, on 07 March 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

meeting up for acen fun? i'd love to! as long as the male-female ratio thing doesn't go all one sided, as mentioned before >.<

no guarantees
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#100 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostSoren Kisamora, on 07 March 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Not trolling or trying to sound weird, but honestly the best way to TRY and create an even ratio for an event like this (or the "doomed to fail" speed dating) is to encourage your single female friends to go or possibly promote on other social media like Facebook or Google+ (well maybe don't use mine though, it's a ghost town there.)

Like Birdcall said, there's no way to guarantee an even or a 60:40 ratio of guys to girls, but the only way to really do it is try to encourage others (even guy friends that know others) to go. If you can't well, then at least you can try the event yourself if interested. One big thing I've learned from events I've tried to form: You can invite 50 people to an event, 25 respond saying "Yes we'll go." 5 change their mind the day before or OF the event and say they can't go, 10 people no-show, and you're only left with 10 people of 50 (for me less) that you originally intended. Really though, if you're going to go, really all you can do is make the best of who you have and what you have going on.

This post has been edited by STVO: 07 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#101 User is offline   Soren Kisamora 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59725

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

was really responding to the OP's request for a meetup.i'm not really concerned about the speed dating thing.
"I don't need to prove that i'm right,i simply need to prove that you're wrong".
Acen '11-White mage[FF XI]

#102 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostSoren Kisamora, on 07 March 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

was really responding to the OP's request for a meetup.i'm not really concerned about the speed dating thing.

Same story. Results may vary. Encourage others to go the singles gathering.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#103 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

No speed dating for myself thank you.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#104 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

But what about the people who want to go not to look for a mate, but just meet new friends?
Hmmmm? :P
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#105 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostWingy Baby, on 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

But what about the people who want to go not to look for a mate, but just meet new friends?

lol yeah :P but then I feel people would say go to the meet and greet then. but I feel the funny stuff that went down here was not poking fun at the OP but the situation of a speed dating/singles gathering and saying that these events usually don't end up going smoothly since bad ratios or the creeper factor which turned into a bunch of joking around which was never aimed at the OP but the situation of speed dating/singles gathering that didn't work.

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 07 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#106 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 07 March 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

lol yeah :P but then I feel people would say go to the meet and greet then. but I feel the funny stuff that went down here was not poking fun at the OP but the situation of a speed dating/singles gathering and saying that these events usually don't end up going smoothly since bad ratios or the creeper factor which turned into a bunch of joking around which was never aimed at the OP but the situation of speed dating/singles gathering that didn't work.

That about sums it up. I think we're all in agreement that no one had any ill intent or hard feelings.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#107 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 07 March 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

That about sums it up. I think we're all in agreement that no one had any ill intent or hard feelings.

I agree but if she wants to try the singles gathering at Acen, more power to her. The conflicts I see as others have stated are: It competes with other events and If you fear the ratio issue, I recommend advertising it to decrease chances of it being a sausage fest.

The singles gathering I don't think you necessarily have to be looking for a mate. Sure there will be some that might going in with that mentality and possibly end up disappointed if nothing comes out of it, but like I said if you do something casual like lunch/dinner and talk about video games/movies/whatever, it could be fun! Sure you do that stuff and should do that stuff at the forum meet n greets (I'll be at the late night one as PeeWee Herman, FYI) but there's no harm in trying this. Heck, I see there's a Reddit Meetup, looks like a Sunday Worship meetup, probably several MLP meetups, so what does this hurt? Like I said, if the OP is willing to promote, have others help promote it, and don't get too disappointed in no-shows or uneven ratios (not saying it will but could happen) then just try it.

Now going to speed dating looking for just friends, I highly don't recommend it lol. I'm not saying you have to go or it will be a success like C2E2, but I'll repeat my friend has been with his GF since C2e2 last year thanks to that event. JUST SAIYAN. I do hope ACen plans to cap their numbers to make it even (C2e2 does it), otherwise it could get ugly. As for myself, don't think I'll be attending like I originally had planned. I have my reasons, just don't wish to share, lol.

But you're all cool people here, hopefully we will all cross paths. :)

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#108 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Meet n' greets good for ice breakers. Then if you see a person again at a speed dating event you have the edge because you already got to put in some time with the person! Unless you blew it early on then I'm just sorry.
Get it??

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#109 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostHiroEcks, on 07 March 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Meet n' greets good for ice breakers. Then if you see a person again at a speed dating event you have the edge because you already got to put in some time with the person! Unless you blew it early on then I'm just sorry.

In the case that happens...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK7YGBVpdlg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#110 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

i'm just kinda glad people are talking really XD thats step one to getting to meeting new people and "suitable mates" HiroEcks called it lol

if anyone has success from this thread it was well worth it ;)
ACen 2015

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done
Leafeon ginjinka- 100% done
Kaoru Hitachin - 50% done (need jacket and tie yet...)

#111 User is offline   PopRockSkittles 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 15720

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hey smexy how you doing? :3c
Jack Frost outfit: working on full body outfit
Jack Frost partial: finished!
Legend of Zelda Link: going to edit when I have time :3

#112 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostPopRockSkittles, on 07 March 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

Hey smexy how you doing? :3c

tehe you're adorable sweetie ;)
ACen 2015

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done
Leafeon ginjinka- 100% done
Kaoru Hitachin - 50% done (need jacket and tie yet...)

#113 User is offline   PopRockSkittles 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 15720

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

View Postblackcat18, on 07 March 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

tehe you're adorable sweetie ;)

tee hee I try :3
Jack Frost outfit: working on full body outfit
Jack Frost partial: finished!
Legend of Zelda Link: going to edit when I have time :3

#114 User is offline   basili1250 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51718

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

What have I walked in on...
ACen 2009: Industrial Steam Punk
ACen 2010: Batou (first Ghost in the Shell film appearance)
ACen 2011: Human cosplay
ACen 2012: Father Cornello (FMA)
ACen 2013: Wreck-It-Ralph, Free (Soul Eater
ACen 2014: Iskander/Rider (Fate/Zero)

#115 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

I might try to go to this. Been looking for someone special for a while. :3

#116 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostWingy Baby, on 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

We all can agree that relationships can be hard to get/come by...but making friends? lol

It's not like you are gonna get paired up at a singles gathering or speed dating, but it's just a lil too easy to make regular friends without going to a singles gathering. lol Well I would hope so. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#117 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 08 March 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

We all can agree that relationships can be hard to get/come by...but making friends? lol

It's not like you are gonna get paired up at a singles gathering or speed dating, but it's just a lil too easy to make regular friends without going to a singles gathering. lol Well I would hope so. lol

Yeah me n Xeno are friends cuz of forums at met up at ACEN with phones that had no reception. :3 good times. XD
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#118 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Some body tell me when and where and I will show up if I can make it. Throw in some lunch/dinner and I will show up in my Sunday's best. ;)
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#119 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Shoot, make the food free and I'll show up in my Sunday best! :D

And I don't even go to Church!
- Mae West

#120 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Psh Sunday best? Ill come in my Wednesday best.lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users