Anime Central Forums: ACEN Masquerade 2012: Questions? Ask here! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ACEN Masquerade 2012: Questions? Ask here!

#1 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 7153

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

I have this thread forwarding emails to me. Have a question? Get an answer! (may take me a couple days if I'm traveling for work)

#2 User is offline   ShiroiLolita 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60932

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

How do you sign up for the walk on? And when can we?
2009- Near (Death Note)
2010- Stereotype Otaku (Satirical cosplay)
2011- Luka Megurine (Vocaloid [Matryoshka and Just Be Friends])
2012- Izaya Orihara (Durarara!) and Spain (APH
2012- (For a different convention) Kairi from KH2

#3 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostShiroiLolita, on 24 December 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

How do you sign up for the walk on? And when can we?

On Jan 1st, masquerade pre-registration opens. Instructions about how to pre-register will be provided on the forums (I'll have a separate thread which has a link to the form you need to fill out).

I would suggest you sign up for a walk-on via that pre-registration; a small number of walk-on slots are typically held for at-con sign-ups, but it's a limite number.

#4 User is offline   ravenfinch 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61043

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

how do i get in and what time to come

#5 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

View Postravenfinch, on 27 December 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

how do i get in and what time to come

Assuming you want to be a participant: pre-registrations open 1/1/2012. Some walk-on slots will be reserved for at-con sign-up during masq office hours. For details about time (including a note that the schedule is still fluid/subject to change), check the rules & regs.

Assuming you want to watch the masq: there will be a line -- it often forms quite some time prior to the event itself. Note that I.R.T. will want to minimize that time due to traffic/fire safety concerns....

#6 User is offline   ravenfinch 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61043

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

ok thanks

#7 User is offline   Cartwight 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57397

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Does all of our skit group have to have our ACen badges before I submit the skit group pre-reg?

We're mostly waiting for paychecks and things, our skit is all done.
2012 Costumes:
Kiyoshi Warrior Ty Lee - Avatar: TLA; Rin - Fate/Stay Night

#8 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostCartwight, on 06 January 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Does all of our skit group have to have our ACen badges before I submit the skit group pre-reg?

We're mostly waiting for paychecks and things, our skit is all done.

No.

You'll all need to have badges at the con, but you don't all need badges when you pre-reg.

#9 User is offline   meef 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3767

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Is Homestuck cosplay allowed in the masquerade?

#10 User is offline   meef 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

I really want to knowwwwwwwwww~

#11 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

View Postmeef, on 12 January 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Is Homestuck cosplay allowed in the masquerade?

No*

*My understanding is that Homestuck is a webcomic which did NOT originate in Japan/South Korea. If I'm wrong, please provide me proofs....

#12 User is offline   meef 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

It's true that it didn't originate in Japan, but it certainly has a lot of anime influences. There's a character named Bro that romps around in Guren Laagan glasses, even.

#13 User is offline   meef 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

No, huh? Well, would a Homestuck be allowed in a skit with anime stuff?

#14 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

View Postmeef, on 20 January 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

No, huh? Well, would a Homestuck be allowed in a skit with anime stuff?

It might be; the costumes from material of Japan/South Korean origin would need to notably exceed Homestuck materials, though.

#15 User is offline   Jess Jupiter 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 26471

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Considering entering a skit for the first time and just wanted clarification on what materials are okay to put into a skit? I know that you mentioned earlier that the materials originating from Japan/South Korea would have to notably exceed materials that aren't of those origins. I'm wondering what qualifies as notably exceeding?

Example:
If we have a skit focusing on Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon) and have Dr. Who, My Little Pony, and Scooby Doo interacting with her is there a ruling on that? (Considering that the skit would be about a character from the required origins with background characters from other media.)
The Enthusiasts
Photographers with a cosplay problem!
Assistant Photobooth Manager, Private Photographer, & Photographer's Coordinator.

#16 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostJess Jupiter, on 01 February 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Considering entering a skit for the first time and just wanted clarification on what materials are okay to put into a skit? I know that you mentioned earlier that the materials originating from Japan/South Korea would have to notably exceed materials that aren't of those origins. I'm wondering what qualifies as notably exceeding?

Example:
If we have a skit focusing on Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon) and have Dr. Who, My Little Pony, and Scooby Doo interacting with her is there a ruling on that? (Considering that the skit would be about a character from the required origins with background characters from other media.)

Hi Jess;

There actually is a ruling/guideline I'd use for the above scenario:
1) are 60+% of the costumes of the skit of Japanese/South Korean origin?
2) Is 60+% of the on-stage time by costumes on stage of Japanese/South Korean origin?

I'm looking for the answers of both questions to be "Yes".

#17 User is offline   MomoKurumi 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 48323

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Homestuck is as non-Japanese/Asian as is Danny Phantom, and although I would LOVE to compete as Ember McLain for the masquerade, rules are rules, and there's always other cons that allow different media from other nations :3

Instead I'll be entering as Blue Rose from Tiger and Bunny since I didn't get it done in time for Ohayo ^w^
ACen 2013 Cosplays:

Friday: Still debating, but probably Disney!
Saturday: Sheryl Nome (cowgirl) + surprise cosplay
Sunday: Tinkerbell

#18 User is offline   pepperbots 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59228

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't have a question about entering, but I did have one about the Masquerade specifically, and this seem the best place to ask it. I was watching a lot of last year's ACen Masq videos, and I noticed that the MCs usually stay up on stage behind a table. I'm honestly curious, is there a reason why? My best guess was that maybe it sped things up?

I found it really distracting, especially in skits, to have people constantly in the background like that, and I can't think of any other convention that does it like this. Usually the MC (or MCs) is not on stage while the cosplayers are performing or walking.
ACen 2013 Cosplays: Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)
-
ACParadise | Facebook

#19 User is offline   Jazhed508 

• ACen Staff - Masquerade
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 109

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:00 AM

View Postpepperbots, on 20 February 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I don't have a question about entering, but I did have one about the Masquerade specifically, and this seem the best place to ask it. I was watching a lot of last year's ACen Masq videos, and I noticed that the MCs usually stay up on stage behind a table. I'm honestly curious, is there a reason why? My best guess was that maybe it sped things up?

I found it really distracting, especially in skits, to have people constantly in the background like that, and I can't think of any other convention that does it like this. Usually the MC (or MCs) is not on stage while the cosplayers are performing or walking.

It has always been a bit problematic as for the Emcee(s) placement near the stage. Way back when, we use to have one Emcee off in one forward corner behind a podium. After a couple skits tried to get him to interact(and SEVERAL complaints about blocked sight lines), I had to find a solution.

At this same time, with ACen getting more and more popular bands, the drummers asked for a riser up on the stage. However, when the drummers weren't using it, we were pressed as to what to do with it since moving it was more of a hassle than anything. To prevent cosplayers from breaking their ankles, I moved the Emcee(s) up there, putting them behind a table.

Also, trying to put them on the floor near the front of stage is nearly impossible with the number of press people/photographers present during the Masquerade.

Jazz - Yes, I use to run this, before I turned it over to 'sabre'.

#20 User is offline   pepperbots 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59228

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostJazhed508, on 21 February 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

It has always been a bit problematic as for the Emcee(s) placement near the stage. Way back when, we use to have one Emcee off in one forward corner behind a podium. After a couple skits tried to get him to interact(and SEVERAL complaints about blocked sight lines), I had to find a solution.

At this same time, with ACen getting more and more popular bands, the drummers asked for a riser up on the stage. However, when the drummers weren't using it, we were pressed as to what to do with it since moving it was more of a hassle than anything. To prevent cosplayers from breaking their ankles, I moved the Emcee(s) up there, putting them behind a table.

Also, trying to put them on the floor near the front of stage is nearly impossible with the number of press people/photographers present during the Masquerade.

That makes sense, I guess. It's too bad though because skits like this one at Fanime just wouldn't work at ACen because of that. The stage ninjas and the parts behind the "walls" would've stood out on such a brightly lit stage with non-participants in the background and would've absolutely ruined the effect. It makes me wonder if ACen is missing out on some good skits because of this.

Skits at a Masquerade don't have much that they can do in terms of setup and props just because of the time, space, and weight constraints. Stage ninjas are usually a big part of making a good skit a great skit. I realize that stage ninjas can still be very obvious even in ideal conditions and that some really great skits don't require any at all, but it certainly helps in the presentation and execution of some skit ideas.

Just some thoughts. I don't figure you guys will change your setup just because stage ninjas are visible, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
ACen 2013 Cosplays: Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)
-
ACParadise | Facebook

#21 User is offline   Sexy Kankurou 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 10194

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hello! I am thinking you'll see this before your PM's, though I'm not sure... Anyway. I sent you a PM!

Animosity Cosplay - We're only doing this because we hate you.
Animosity's Skits
Hetalia Tik Tok (This is also me)

#22 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostSexy Kankurou, on 01 March 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

Hello! I am thinking you'll see this before your PM's, though I'm not sure... Anyway. I sent you a PM!

Responded; take a look :)

#23 User is offline   Marin Musica 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 11498

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hey, I sent in a form to enter the masquerade with a skit, but now some of my people aren't sure if they want to do it. If my group decides not to do it, but if I still want to do a skit but with a different costume am I allowed to change my information for that?
Zelda - Bunny Link; Ghibli - Howl; Nintendo/ Smash Bros - Princess Peach Toadstool; DC - Catwoman

Possibles.... Kingdom Hearts- Riku (DDD); Yu-Gi-Oh! (Season 0) - Yami Yugi); Golden Sun- Piers
**Due to the times of the photoshoots, I may not bring some of my costumes.

Masquerade - Princess Peach Toadstool

#24 User is offline   mrANyboDy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61203

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

How will we know if our skit registration is accepted and/or when can expect to hear a reply?

#25 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostMarin Musica, on 14 March 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Hey, I sent in a form to enter the masquerade with a skit, but now some of my people aren't sure if they want to do it. If my group decides not to do it, but if I still want to do a skit but with a different costume am I allowed to change my information for that?

You are -- you'll want to reply to the email informing you of your skit # with the changes.

#26 User is offline   sabre 

• Masquerade DH
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostmrANyboDy, on 14 March 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

How will we know if our skit registration is accepted and/or when can expect to hear a reply?

You should typically hear within one week. That said, someone had a slight work catastrophe and is only now digging out -- there's going to be some mass mailing today and tomorrow....

#27 User is offline   rokakurumi 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59492

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hello, It's my first time going to the masquerade so i wanted to know where do we go to get tickets to watch it. I was told we had to get tickets first and where do we stand in line.
There is no one who dose not carry scars on their heart. If there was someone in the world like that. He would be a shallow soul. - Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)

#28 User is offline   Marin Musica 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

View Postsabre, on 15 March 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

You are -- you'll want to reply to the email informing you of your skit # with the changes.

Alright, thank you. I'll be eagerly checking my email for the confirmation, as I have not received one yet.

*edit* I just found it. lol.

This post has been edited by Marin Musica: 19 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Zelda - Bunny Link; Ghibli - Howl; Nintendo/ Smash Bros - Princess Peach Toadstool; DC - Catwoman

Possibles.... Kingdom Hearts- Riku (DDD); Yu-Gi-Oh! (Season 0) - Yami Yugi); Golden Sun- Piers

#29 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Just out of curiosity.

1. Would a Western character that was created by a Japenese game company be allowed?

2. What of characters from say a Chinese comic, or one from Tailand?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#30 User is offline   Marin Musica 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ok, i found and replied to the email about needing to change my entry information. No one has replied to me about it yet though, it's been two days since i sent the email. I'm just curious if I got it and if things are ok?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users