Anime Central Forums: Driving to ACen? NEW EXIT ON I-294! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Driving to ACen? NEW EXIT ON I-294!

#1 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Here is the article detailing all of the work they did.

This new exit ramp off of I-294 will be I-PASS only I believe(site says "...two I-PASS Only toll collection lanes"). Balmoral Ave is an east/west street that goes straight to River Rd, and is just south of the convention center. I've used Balmoral in the past to get on to I-294 South, but this exit ramp is totally new, and just was opened today!

Check it out on google maps!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#2 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

The exit was opened this past Tuesday, and yes, it is I-Pass only. If you do not have an I-Pass you still need to exit at River Road. It's not a huge distance savings, only about a mile really (it's about .5 mile from the new ramp to the River Road one & another .5 mile from the River Road exit to Balmoral), but it does avoid some of the downtown Rosemont traffic.

Note that it is an $0.80 toll at this ramp, River Road is still $0.40 with I-Pass (or $0.80 cash), though that will likely go up to $0.80 in January. But it is nice. Especially for me - I take River to Lawrence (around where Denny's is) and head down Lawrence toward home, every single day. I took this ramp three days this week & it saved me a ton of time & hassle (at the expensive of twice the tolls).

If you do take this ramp, you'll need to turn right onto Balmoral, then at River Road take a left. The convention center and Hyatt will be on the right, Embassy, Doubletree & Hilton on the left.

The reasoning behind building this ramp is the new entertainment center they're building over by the Muvico. There will be seven businesses opening in Feb or March (so they'll be open by Acen) and another open in the summer. A bowling alley & several restaurants. Not sure yet if any will be reasonably priced but I'm hoping they will be - that'll make life easier for us con-goers! :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#3 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hey I'll take what I can to clear up ANYTHING on 294. It gets so crowded >.<.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#4 User is offline   Shiggitay 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60878

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Awesome! My friend and I are going to be driving in from Grand Rapids, MI and this'll help us if we end up taking i294. I'll show this thread to her so we can figure it out.

EDIT: It seems we won't be going on i294 after all. i196 - i94 seems to be our projected route since we'll be leaving from Grand Rapids Airport (where I'll be flying into from Boston).

Where does i294 go to and from? I've never been to the Midwest, thus the question.

This post has been edited by Shiggitay: 09 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Anime fo lyfe!

Representin' ACen 2015 and Otakon 2015!!

-----------------------------Help me out if you can! And please share those links around! Arigatou!!---------------------------
Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd [Famitsu DX Pack] (Japan Version) for PlayStation 3 (PS3)>

Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd | Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd (Japan Version) for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita)>

#5 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

This is a good heads up. Thanks!

I have to wonder, though. It doesn't seem fair to have it be IPASS-only. What about people coming in from out of state? Do they get a ticket issued to them if they end up taking that exit without realizing? That'd be silly.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#6 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Not only is it I-Pass (EZ-Pass) only, it seems it is only for Northbound traffic. I still have to take the curlyque route (O'Hare exit) when coming from the North (Southbound). No help for me at all.
This space intentionally left blank.

#7 User is offline   Shiggitay 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostSapphy, on 09 February 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

I have to wonder, though. It doesn't seem fair to have it be IPASS-only. What about people coming in from out of state? Do they get a ticket issued to them if they end up taking that exit without realizing? That'd be silly.

Yeah that does sound unfair indeed. Is IPASS similar to EZPass? Out here in New England area we have that.

EDIT: Obakasan up there beat me to it. lol

This post has been edited by Shiggitay: 09 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Anime fo lyfe!

-----------------------------Help me out if you can! And please share those links around! Arigatou!!---------------------------
Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd [Famitsu DX Pack] (Japan Version) for PlayStation 3 (PS3)>

Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd | Buy Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd (Japan Version) for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita)>

#8 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Apparently it is a very short ramp and a small exit, so this may be the reason they only want locals to use this exit, and for everyone else to use the Rive Rd exit. I'm guessing this also helps alleviate traffic on that exit too for locals.

This street used to only have an entrance ramp for 294 South, so I would take it every time I left ACen. It is much more convenient for me now that I can get off of 294 N on this street too!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#9 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

I-Pass and EZ-Pass are essentially the same. Can be used in something like 14 states. Check your appropriate website for details.
This space intentionally left blank.

#10 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

If you miss a toll in IL you can pay online, there's like a weeks leeway i think before they send you a fine for skipping a toll. You do have to know which tolls you missed to pay it online though.

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#11 User is offline   Shiggitay 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Postobakasan, on 09 February 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I-Pass and EZ-Pass are essentially the same. Can be used in something like 14 states. Check your appropriate website for details.

lol I saw your response after I asked what it was, but okay cool. :)
Anime fo lyfe!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users