Anime Central Forums: AA Setup Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AA Setup Checklist The most comprehensive list yet!

#61 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have a question for any Alley veterans:

I've seen it warned on webpages to not keep your signs out overnight due to the possibility of them being vandalized. I'd love to be able to bring my signs on Thursday along with the rest of my display (sans art) but I definitely don't want to come in one morning and have any of my signs ruined. The person that gave this advice was not an ACen artist--is this something I should be worrying about at ACen, or can I just leave them at my table overnight?

Basically, what do you guys do with all your table signs at night when the Alley closes up?
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Happy Hatpire Designs will be at Anime Central and Anime Midwest in 2015!

#62 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I have never heard that! O_o

The whole hall is closed and locked up at night, but I have heard rumors of possible theft issues. We left our display and signs up and uncovered all weekend, but took down all our products each night.

I am thinking of covering up the whole thing this time though with a plastic table cloth.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#63 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 21 April 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I have never heard that! O_o

The whole hall is closed and locked up at night, but I have heard rumors of possible theft issues. We left our display and signs up and uncovered all weekend, but took down all our products each night.

That's good to know, it'll definitely make setup easier. I think the artist in question had it happen once to her at one convention, so she was doing it more as a "just in case". But if you've never even heard of folks doing that then I'm a bit more confident that my precious signs will be OK. :thumbup:

In other news, today has totally been a work day for me, and save for making a few more shadowboxes and then varnishing a couple tiny paintings, I think I'm all set! Totally super excited, I have my Thursday stuff all packed (a footlocker full of my table setup supplies) and it's heavy as all heck, though. T_T

#64 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

You're in good shape! I am borrowing luggage from my parents on Tuesday, so I'll be packing up everything then.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#65 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

View PostSapphy, on 21 April 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

I have a question for any Alley veterans:

I've seen it warned on webpages to not keep your signs out overnight due to the possibility of them being vandalized. I'd love to be able to bring my signs on Thursday along with the rest of my display (sans art) but I definitely don't want to come in one morning and have any of my signs ruined. The person that gave this advice was not an ACen artist--is this something I should be worrying about at ACen, or can I just leave them at my table overnight?

Basically, what do you guys do with all your table signs at night when the Alley closes up?

Even in closed rooms, it's always good to be safe and assume there's always the chance something could happen.

At our booth, we take down all our products (and anything on boards gets flipped upside down, or put inside the boxes under our table), and then we drape a bunch of opaque bedsheets over our displays. We always take with us the more valuable items such as the cashbox and my buckets of copic markers (sometimes I'm doing commissions into the evening cause I couldn't get to em during the day).

It's always better to be safe than sorry. And any bedsheets will work - I highly suggest going to goodwill/discount stores/ikea and getting some king-sized sheets for really cheap. Unless you've got some sitting around already. :) I say king sized cause then you know for sure that it should cover your displays. Use 2 if you have really tall displays.

Happy Packing! :)

#66 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostKarmada, on 23 April 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Even in closed rooms, it's always good to be safe and assume there's always the chance something could happen.

At our booth, we take down all our products (and anything on boards gets flipped upside down, or put inside the boxes under our table), and then we drape a bunch of opaque bedsheets over our displays. We always take with us the more valuable items such as the cashbox and my buckets of copic markers (sometimes I'm doing commissions into the evening cause I couldn't get to em during the day).

It's always better to be safe than sorry. And any bedsheets will work - I highly suggest going to goodwill/discount stores/ikea and getting some king-sized sheets for really cheap. Unless you've got some sitting around already. :) I say king sized cause then you know for sure that it should cover your displays. Use 2 if you have really tall displays.

Happy Packing! :)

^^^ What Karmada said ;)
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#67 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on 23 April 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

^^^ What Karmada said ;)

Ditto on that. In locked halls like with Acen, general display racks, table coverings and simple signage are usually safe, but always cover the bulk of your display, keep the stock stored someplace out of sight and always, always, always take your cashbox with you.

In open and 24 hour alleys like you see at smaller cons, we always tear all the way down and pack it out with us.

#68 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Bumping for any newcomers with AA questions! Con is only a few months away! AHHHH! XD

#69 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

I forget, do the AA tables have a lip underneath or is it just smooth tabletop on both sides? I bought a "value pack" of smaller clamps from Home Depot and I think they'll be large enough, but I'm not entirely sure. These are the clamps in question: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 except mine was in a four-pack instead.

#70 User is offline   railas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61183

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 16 December 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

[/list]

Just quoting, I noticed you said get receipts if you accept credit cards, and that is something I didn't think of as this is the first year I'll be able to accept cc's. Is this something along the lines of the booklets you can get at walmart?[/color][/size]

#71 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostSapphy, on 05 March 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

I forget, do the AA tables have a lip underneath or is it just smooth tabletop on both sides? I bought a "value pack" of smaller clamps from Home Depot and I think they'll be large enough, but I'm not entirely sure. These are the clamps in question: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 except mine was in a four-pack instead.

I can't remember if they have a lip underneath or not, but a clamp should still work regardless.

View Postrailas, on 10 March 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Just quoting, I noticed you said get receipts if you accept credit cards, and that is something I didn't think of as this is the first year I'll be able to accept cc's. Is this something along the lines of the booklets you can get at walmart?

I actually put that on the checklist per someone else request. I don't use them.

#72 User is offline   Hellmaster Bean 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9131

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I have a question for those who have a credit card app on there mobile device. Do you usually give the customer a paper receipt as well?

I have never been able to take credit cards before so I do not know what the proper thing to do is. One one my studiomates has a tablet so we are going to try and get the Square app. So any advice would be great
Ya darn kids with your One Piece and your rock n' roll music! Get offa my Upper Yard!!

Proud Member of The Three Pegases!

Visit us on Facebook and DeviantArt for cute plush and more.

#73 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm going to be using the PayPal Here card reader, and I can either use a bluetooth printer or send them the receipt via email. I don't have a bluetooth printer or access to electric, so I'm just going to be using the email option. I don't think I'm going to bother with paper receipts.

#74 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61245

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostHellmaster Bean, on 13 March 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I have a question for those who have a credit card app on there mobile device. Do you usually give the customer a paper receipt as well?

I have never been able to take credit cards before so I do not know what the proper thing to do is. One one my studiomates has a tablet so we are going to try and get the Square app. So any advice would be great

Depending on the size of transactions you're doing, Paypal may be a better bet. Their rates are a lil lower, and you still get the free reader for compatible phones/devices.

I personally think its best to ask what the customer wants. You can always email the receipts, but I would recommend having something on hand to give them just in case, even if its just something from an Office Max pad. Some people are old fashioned like that :D
---
"Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony. " Heraclitus
"Medicine to produce health must examine disease; and music, to create harmony must investigate discord. " Plutarch
"Anyway, this cake is great. Its so delicious and moist." -GlaDOS

#75 User is offline   Hellmaster Bean 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9131

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into the Paypal reader
Ya darn kids with your One Piece and your rock n' roll music! Get offa my Upper Yard!!

Proud Member of The Three Pegases!

Visit us on Facebook and DeviantArt for cute plush and more.

#76 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just in case it hasn't been brought up, you have to have a phone that is fully compatible for the card reader to work. I had an HTC Thunderbolt, and even though it met all the requirements it wasn't on this list( https://www.paypal.c...patible-devices ) and the card reader didn't work. I have a Galaxy S3 now, and it works fine.

#77 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Those smartphone credit card readers are amazing! I recommend them to anyone and everyone I can!
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#78 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

I added a little to the list, so that is updated!

Keep yourself organized with a list, and you will not forget anything! :D

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users