Anime Central Forums: AA Setup Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AA Setup Checklist The most comprehensive list yet!

#31 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

I can't say what the cost of the power drops will be this year for a variety of reasons, but I can at least *unofficially* say that having your own power source gives you more control and more options. Good for when that next big storm knocks out power at your house too... I was VERY glad I had invested in a battery-operated fan before this last spring/summer storm season.

Explore your options. Be prepared.
This space intentionally left blank.

#32 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Forgive my spelling, I am on my phone but still wanted to get you all a reply. Powerdrops will be done through the convention center this year. That being said we will be releasing additional details about costs and how to go about ordering things after the time frame people were given to pay for their Aa items. That deadline is one month and one week from when they were approved. So we will go with an easy date like January 23rd. On that date we should be releasing any tables that were not payed for to the waiting list, and the procedure to get a power drop.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#33 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on 27 December 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

it seems DevenEvenXaviour would know the cost
since she was kind enough shAre her power strip and help out her fellow AA ppl
he/she may be able to shAre with you the exact numbers

Last year the Power Drop was $35.00, but this year the power supply will be handled through RES as Voltaire30 just said. So forget however much it was last year and just wait to plan out your power needs once the info is released.

View PostMillions_Knives, on 27 December 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

im glad Deven was able to help shAre power/costs via the power strip

Just to clarify I paid in full for my power, I didn't share costs. We had to run the extension cord since there were no outlets nearby, and we graciously shared with power strip with our neighbor who also paid full price, but had no outlet available to them. I suspect the power drops are just one more thing that was a hassle for AA, and using RES might be a better way to handle it.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#34 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

The portable power source is definitely for people who plan to do the convention scene regularly. $100 may seem like a lot, but when you go to Otakon where they want $300 for a power drop, suddenly that $100 is great. It's more long term planning that will save you a ton if you plan to do this for several years(as both I and my friend have)

#35 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Bumping this up for anyone who needs the info.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#36 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61094

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Those that are using the wire cubes, I myself have used the exact layout that Daven illustrated. We used black electrical tape to secure the edges together and to the table (just for an extra safety measure) I highly reccomend doing something like this...I have seen crazy con goers actually try and glomp table displays -___________-;;;
Nerdy Art: Music to the Eyes

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#37 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostBrokenRemnantStudios, on 04 March 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Those that are using the wire cubes, I myself have used the exact layout that Daven illustrated. We used black electrical tape to secure the edges together and to the table (just for an extra safety measure) I highly reccomend doing something like this...I have seen crazy con goers actually try and glomp table displays -___________-;;;

Whoa no way! Table glomping? That's crazy!

I'm actually doing a more conservative approach now and only constructing two towers that are four cubes high with a dowel across to hang my charms from. I'm using lots of zip ties to secure the cubes. I'd tape the cubes down to the table, but last year all the tables were covered, and I use a fabric table cover on top of that!

#38 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostBrokenRemnantStudios, on 04 March 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

This is sort of frightening. I'm going to be using cubes secured with zip ties for extra stability, but I'm still worried about the whole thing getting knocked over. A large part of my display is going to be frames with glass, and I just have horrible thoughts of the lot tipping and the glass breaking. :unsure:

I don't really get the whole glomping phenomenon, anyway. I remember posting against it here on the forums years ago. The backlash I got from a lot of forumgoers was pretty terrible--I argued that just because I'm in costume and you like my costume, it gives you no right to practically tackle me without my permission. They argued that people shouldn't come to the convention or dress up for it if they don't want people to forcibly hug them. :mellow:

It's disrespectful doing it to a person who may or may not want it to happen. To do it to someone's table full of work they've poured their heart into is equally disrespectful and I just can't grasp the rationalization for it. :/
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#39 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostSapphy, on 04 March 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's disrespectful doing it to a person who may or may not want it to happen. To do it to someone's table full of work they've poured their heart into is equally disrespectful and I just can't grasp the rationalization for it. :/

I would promptly report a table glomper to IRT and AA staff. That is dangerous and disrespectful. I've never seen it happen before, but last year I did have a mishap. I accidentally knocked over the easel we had and broke several charms. After I cleaned it up duct tape was heavily applied to everything. -__-;

As for glomping cosplayers I've almost had it happen to me, but luckily there was a table in the way. I had to tell the otaku to calm down first before I got anywhere near them!

#40 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 04 March 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

As for glomping cosplayers I've almost had it happen to me, but luckily there was a table in the way. I had to tell the otaku to calm down first before I got anywhere near them!

Thankfully I've never personally run into anything like it. My husband and I did dress up as the Red Jaguars from Legends of the Hidden Temple back 2009 (I think? May have been 2010) and we did have one girl ask if she could give me a hug because she thought it was awesome. That was completely cool, because she asked for permission beforehand. Having people bull rush you, though, is just terrible.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire

#41 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I unfortunately was the victim of table glomping...luckily my partner at the time and myself were able to catch everything before it toppled. We basically sat there with this look on our faces Posted Image
Now I don't take any chances at all! Super tape to the rescue! >:3

This post has been edited by BrokenRemnantStudios: 04 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#42 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

For people that use the wire cubes, I have a question:

I plan on hanging my frames from the cubes but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to attach hooks to them that would be secure and strong enough so they don't fall off in the middle of the day. What do you guys use for hooks if you end up hanging something from one of the wire panels?

#43 User is offline   DC Panda 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 15252

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Adding in my $0.04 (adjusted for inflation).

Glomps can happen even if you're not in costume. Up until last year I had a panda as my logo and I had a girl (panda lover, apparently) glomp me, almost OVER my table. And my wife. Just try to get your product as secure as possible. We affix things to cardboard panels for display.

Folk have previously covered all the items I usually suggest, but just to support those:

I can't agree enough with folks about the hand sanitizer. Part of this gig is public relations and interfacing with the public. Lot of hand shaking going on, unless you have adopted the fist bump. You can get a large size pump bottle for a couple bucks at the drug store.

I will also stress the importance of keeping that trash can with you at your table. Especially if your crafts produce a lot of byproduct or waste, you'll want to make sure you can keep debris from cluttering your area or your neighbors. You can get a little plastic trash bucket at the dollar store, and regular plastic grocery bags will fit. We average about a full basket a day.

You can get a travel sized first-aid kit for a dollar at most drug stores. Or, put one together your self with a little Ziploc bag of band-aids, maybe some painkillers (those fluorescent lights can give you a headache) and maybe some antiseptic ointment. Even if you don't work with sharp implements (scissors and the like), a paper cut can result in a nasty bleeder as well.

Also, for first timers to an artist alley (not cons in general, but artist alleys in general), be prepared for a cavalcade of interesting characters, and I don't mean what cosplayers are wearing. For the most part, folks are nice and civil. But, there's a measurable percentage of antisocial types (that inexplicably want to go to conventions) and are going to be mean, condescending, and just outright rude to you. The reasons are various, but the effect is the same. THere's no reason to be scared, but just be forewarned that they are out there.

This is also why it's important to be decent to your fellow artists, table neighbors, etc. We're a community, after all, and the best part of this gig is sharing the experience with others and drawing strength and support from each other.
DC Chen- Big Asian Guy

Artist Alley- 12th Year under Panda Rage Productions.
Check out our webcomic Onward Bound!

Panel for 2013: Carpe DM- The Art of Gamemastery for Tabletop RPGs

#44 User is offline   Artbymike 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61638

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

@sapphy if you have some picture frames you want to put on the cubes i recomend S-hooks. There pretty unexpensive and you can get it easaly at craft stores, wal-mart, and hardware stores. some places call then flower pot hooks, but there all the same. I recomend the small ones but they come in a veriety of sizes. And while I dont exactly use them for hanging work at cons i do use them at home, I have alot of commissioned framed art I like to put up and I have those wire cubes all over the place saves on having to put holes in the wall.

Hope that helps
-mike
ACen 2013 here I come!
check out my blog min-tec.blogspot.com

Weib Shwarsz player! :Madoka English TD
come by my booth during AA hours for a quick game or ill see you in the Gaming room!

#45 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostArtbymike, on 05 March 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

@sapphy if you have some picture frames you want to put on the cubes i recomend S-hooks.

Oh man, thanks! S-hooks sound perfect. :) Thank you again!

#46 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

S-hooks are a very good idea! Not only for the Artist Alley, but also the Art Show.

We only have a limited number, and our supply seems to dwindle every year. So if you are also participating in the Art Show (which given the new contests I highly suggest entering) I would strongly encourage S-hooks. Posted Image

Also, not to divert the topic away from it's intent, but if someone "glomps" your table, or display, please report it right away! I am apparently one of the few people that believes that "glomping" without permission is battery, and as long as I am the Manager of this department, I will make sure that if it takes place within my jurisdiction (glomping without permission) there will be consequences for the assailant.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#47 User is offline   LinkJun 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16763

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 06 March 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Also, not to divert the topic away from it's intent, but if someone "glomps" your table, or display, please report it right away! I am apparently one of the few people that believes that "glomping" without permission is battery, and as long as I am the Manager of this department, I will make sure that if it takes place within my jurisdiction (glomping without permission) there will be consequences for the assailant.

I'm so with you. One needs not to intend to harm someone, but only to intend to make contact with someone (in both civil and criminal law, battery can be harmful or offensive contact). Assuming that there is no prior relationship between the parties, there is also no reasonable implication of consent by the victim, so a con glomp (though intended as a sign of affection or a joke) falls right into the definition of battery. Most of the time cases like that are tried in civil court, unless there was signification injury to the plaintiff, in which case it's tried in criminal court as aggravated battery. Also, if someone glomps you and causes you to drop/break something (or glomps you over your table and causes property damage that way), it's a clear case not only for battery, but also for civil negligence.

If you're a chronic glomper, just remember to use gambits, and you'll be fine. Add some strategy to your assault and battery!

#48 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 06 March 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Myyyyyy hero! :P

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#49 User is offline   rei_0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4098

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 22 December 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

Although I have not used them before for ACen, I have used them in the past for a storage solution, and they are pretty sturdy on their own. As for securing them to the table... well last year they actually covered all of the AA tables with a blue plastic covering, and on top of that I had a cloth table covering. So it would not have really been possible to secure anything down with duct tape or something(without wrapping it around the table).

Maybe someone who has used them before have any tips?

I was also wondering if it is possible to have two towers connected by cubes on the top. Anyone do this last year or know if this is possible? I thought I saw this last year, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking something like this...

Posted Image

I haven't measured how many cubes high it will need to be, but I am assuming 3 or 4 high. I'm pretty sure the table behind me did this, but I don't have a picture of them since they set up later than we did.

I tried something similar at youmacon, but used them as flat pieces, not as full cubes, for everything but the base. It was difficult to put up, and kind of unstable. I had the whole thing fall down on me while I was trying to put it up one day. (I've been using mine to hold some rather heavy items, I guess they bent a little.) I'm definitely getting zip ties. I'm debating on adopting a different setup, because I had a lot of people at youmacon not realize I was actually sitting back there, I guess it got kind of dark. Acen has way better lighting. Thinking about doing two towers and stringing some yarn across like a clothsline.
2013 Cosplay - Fluttershy
Red Mage (maybe)

Artist Alley Table 165! Forest for the Trees
Come say hi!

#50 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postrei_0, on 11 March 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

I tried something similar at youmacon, but used them as flat pieces, not as full cubes, for everything but the base. It was difficult to put up, and kind of unstable. I had the whole thing fall down on me while I was trying to put it up one day. (I've been using mine to hold some rather heavy items, I guess they bent a little.) I'm definitely getting zip ties. I'm debating on adopting a different setup, because I had a lot of people at youmacon not realize I was actually sitting back there, I guess it got kind of dark. Acen has way better lighting. Thinking about doing two towers and stringing some yarn across like a clothsline.

Yeah I've already said before in here that I'm not doing that setup anymore. I'm doing two towers four cubes high with a pole across to hang my charms from.

#51 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

yea we're just gonna put up about 2.5-3 cubes on each side and use some propped up cork board to display the charms and such :)

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#52 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm going to jump in for a quick second, in case someone wants to take advantage of a few observations I (and I am sure others) have noticed.

In our rules we don't have any regulations on the physical direction of your displays. That being said, if you are using the cube type displays, they provide multiple directions you can use for displaying your stuff, so don't sacrifice prime display space for potentially negligible stability options. I would recommend that regardless of how you choose to secure your display, that you also keep in mind that you can easily display things from all angles, unless you make it impossible to do so.

#53 User is offline   Artbymike 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61638

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

If your having trouble with stability and keeping your setup from tipping. I think securing the cubes to themselves with zip ties will help keep them from splitting apart even when you have heavier items or are stacking high. I also recommend getting clamps from the hardware store. Preferably c-clamps or quick clamps to secure the setup to your table if duck-tape is not an option.

I also do my setup on the ground and have a friend help lift the setup onto the table once everything is secured.

hope this helps,
-mike

This post has been edited by Artbymike: 03 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

ACen 2013 here I come!
check out my blog min-tec.blogspot.com

Weib Shwarsz player! :Madoka English TD
come by my booth during AA hours for a quick game or ill see you in the Gaming room!

#54 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostArtbymike, on 03 April 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

I also do my setup on the ground and have a friend help lift the setup onto the table once everything is secured.

This is a good idea, and one which I think I might borrow. :) I'm super short so the less things I have to reach upwards for the better!

#55 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'm bumping this up for all the last minute preparations!

Yesterday I made all my signage and figured out pricing! I should have bought contact paper, but I'm lazy and used clear packing tape to "laminate" all my signs. PRO TIP: packing tape ages, meaning even w/out sun exposure it yellows over time! I didn't know this until I pulled out my signs from last year and noticed the slight yellowing.

Hope everyone is almost ready! :3

#56 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 19 April 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

Hope everyone is almost ready! :3

I got all my signs printed this last week, I have my table layout down, my buttons are due to arrive today or tomorrow, so I think I'm all set aside from a few more things to make for the show! Now I'm just flopping between thinking I don't have enough art to sell and thinking I'm bringing too much and that I'll never in a million year sell it all. Holy Worry Central, Batman! :unsure:

#57 User is offline   RogueCreations 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61356

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostSapphy, on 19 April 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

Now I'm just flopping between thinking I don't have enough art to sell and thinking I'm bringing too much and that I'll never in a million year sell it all. Holy Worry Central, Batman! :unsure:

^ This LOL

I'm still working on things and hoping that next Tuesday I'll have enough time to work out my table layout. It's officially freak-out-and-work-on-as-much-stuff-as-possible time *breathes* but I'm also super excited and can't wait to get to ACEN!

#58 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

we still have to print out our banner and print out some signage, but other than that we are all set! :D

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#59 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

So not set on this end!! -panic flail mode-
I've been stuck at work all week (heading back out in a little bit) and have hardly had any time to put stuff together and still have no layout!
Tomorrow is my one day off before the convention, so here's hoping to getting stuff done! Ahhh!!!
I will be attending ACen 2014 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#60 User is offline   KurolokiRoku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1211

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Wow, I hadn't seen this at all until now. Awesome thread, guys. A trash can! Hah! The one thing I always need but never remember. Thanks for that.

I also had someone ask me for a bag last year, which I was not used to, but she looked kind of disappointed when I said no. I'm thinking about visiting a party store and looking for some plain loot bags now.

SO BEHIND BUT SO EXCITED Posted Image
kuroloki.deviantart.com
www.rokulie.com
Please come visit studio RoKuliƩ in the artist alley!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users