Anime Central Forums: Roller Derby events in the suburbs! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Roller Derby events in the suburbs!

#1 User is offline   FunkadelicMango 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 5022

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hey there, Guys and Gals!

Besides being a big ole anime/manga/videogame/art nerd, I also happen to be a skater with a roller derby league out here in the western Chicago Suburbs! We're called the DuPage Derby Dames, and we're based out of Roselle (though we have members coming from all directions e.g. Arlington Heights, Chicago, Aurora, Brookfield etc.). In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd throw out some of the community events that are taking place next weekend!

On Saturday, December 17th (7:30PM - 11:00 PM) we're hosting a Holiday Food Drive & Fundraiser at Coachlite Skate Center in Roselle. It's an open-skate, so all are welcome to attend! In addition to offering a craft table, bake sale, 50/50 raffle, DDD Merch and a roller derby demonstration, we will be collecting canned food and other non-perishable food items to donate to the People's Resource Center Food Pantry. Sales proceeds will go towards hosting our first home bout (a "bout" is a game or competition in derby-lingo) in January. A monetary donation will be donated to the People's Resource Center as well! Admission is $7, roller skate rentals are $2.50, roller blade rentals are $5.

I hope some of you will decide to come out and join us for a fun night of skating! It's for a good cause, and any and all non-perishable food items (canned food, soup, cereal, peanut butter, dry pasta etc.) that you can donate would be much appreciated!

Here's the flyer in case that helps--Or if you just enjoy bright, happy colors :)

Posted Image

Then the night after that (Sunday, December 18th, 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM @ Coachlite) is our Recruitment Night! If you're interested in roller derby (or even mildly curious) AT ALL you should definitely come on by! It is an all-female league (most roller derby leagues are), but men are also welcome to attend if you're interested in being referees or non-skating officials (NSOs) like score keepers, penality box timers, etc.! Absolutely NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY! We will teach you everything you need to know! Seriously! Until I joined roller derby, I hadn't skated regularly in years and I never actually knew how to stop, lol... We have skaters of all skill-levels (including some who had never strapped on a pair of roller skates before in their lives), so don't let that the fear of inexperience stop you :) You won't need any gear for recruitment night except skates, and those will be available to rent for $2. Admission to the rink is $5.

Flyer! Pazooow!

Posted Image

Again, I really really hope that some of you will be able to make it to these events! Roller derby is SO much empowering, rough-and-tumble fun, and you form such close-knit friendships with all your fellow league members. Is there anyone out there who is the least bit intrigued by roller derby? Has anyone been to a bout before, or even just watched the movie "Whip it"? Or hey, is there anyone out there who has absolutely no idea what it is? I'd be more than happy to do my best to explain it to you!

If anyone has any questions at all, please feel free to ask!

This post has been edited by FunkadelicMango: 10 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

#2 User is offline   FunkadelicMango 

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

So uh...nobody's into roller derby, huh? That's a pity, lol. Has anyone at least watched the movie, Whip It?

#3 User is offline   Babyloser 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59040

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Aww! It's a shame I missed this last year. I would've loved to go if I knew about this. I didn't even know there was one around here this whole time TT. I would really love to go if there's one again in 2012. If there is can you let me know, and I'll be checking for sure? I'll also let my friends know about this, they also love roller derby. By the way, I have seen Whip It, and it's one of my favorite movies! I luv Ellen Page and Drew Barrymore! =D

This post has been edited by Babyloser: 22 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

#4 User is offline   FunkadelicMango 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostBabyloser, on 22 April 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Aww! It's a shame I missed this last year. I would've loved to go if I knew about this. I didn't even know there was one around here this whole time TT. I would really love to go if there's one again in 2012. If there is can you let me know, and I'll be checking for sure? I'll also let my friends know about this, they also love roller derby. By the way, I have seen Whip It, and it's one of my favorite movies! I luv Ellen Page and Drew Barrymore! =D

Actually, we're in the middle of an actual season right now. Our bout is this Friday, but it's an away bout out in Ottawa (IL). Our next home bout though is just May 12th! If you're interested in coming to watch, I can fill you in on all the details. Or you can check us out at www.dupagederbydames.com. We're also on facebook! We're listed there as DuPage County Derby Dames though :)

#5 User is offline   Babyloser 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59040

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostFunkadelicMango, on 22 April 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Actually, we're in the middle of an actual season right now. Our bout is this Friday, but it's an away bout out in Ottawa (IL). Our next home bout though is just May 12th! If you're interested in coming to watch, I can fill you in on all the details. Or you can check us out at www.dupagederbydames.com. We're also on facebook! We're listed there as DuPage County Derby Dames though :)

Yeah Ottawa is too far away from me, but I'd love to go to the May 12th 4 sure! I'd like to know more, thanks!

#6 User is offline   magicalgamer 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59317

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Love me some derby action.
My local team i cheer on is thr River Demons in leaf river.
You are never bored watching a derby.
I know i have seen a ref And a couple ladies at the con.
And we have a lead jammer...... I have tried skating during a practice and i can tell you, what these ladies do is not easy

#7 User is offline   FunkadelicMango 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postmagicalgamer, on 25 April 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

Love me some derby action.
My local team i cheer on is thr River Demons in leaf river.
You are never bored watching a derby.
I know i have seen a ref And a couple ladies at the con.
And we have a lead jammer...... I have tried skating during a practice and i can tell you, what these ladies do is not easy

Ah, Leaf River! We played them actually. Classy gals, they are. Seriously, great team!

And just a bit of clarification, a jammer is the designated person (and only person) during a single round (called a jam) who can score points. "Lead Jammer" is a strategic status that a jammer can earn.

I'll be sure to post a copy of our flyer for our next home bout up here when it's finished. Until then, here's the info for y'all!

Next HOME BOUT
"Smack to the Future" A roller derby bout saluting the totally tubular 1980s!
DuPage Derby Dames vs. The Cedar Rapids Roller Girls

WHEN:Saturday, May 12th
Doors Open @ 6 PM, Bout starts @ 7 PM

TICKETS: Tickets can be purchased online in advance for $10 here:
https://www.brownpap...om/event/240195
Tickets at the door will be $12

WHERE: Coachlite Skate Center
1291 Bryn Mawr Ave.
Roselle, IL 60172

There will also be an 80s costume contest during half time so please feel free to dress up! The winner will be awarded a prize!

And here's a link to the facebook event page. Plenty more info there!
http://www.facebook....42758935851587/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users