Anime Central Forums: Copic Commissions - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Copic Commissions awesome sauce or dying fad?

#1 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61094

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

Question is, would you buy a copic commission if you liked the artist's style? Or is this fad dying out? I've always been the one stuck behind the table so I have no idea what's goin on ><

If yay, how much are you willing to shell out and for what? do you prefer certain sizes (8x10 vs. 5x7)??

If nay, what kind of commissions are in, if commissions are even still in?

Talk to me people, I enjoy input very much :D
Nerdy Art: Music to the Eyes

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#2 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

I don't buy very many commissions, but if I did, I would, and speaking from experience as an artist who does copic work, myself, I get tons of commissions for copic pieces over the con weekend.

Theoretically, I'd be willing to spend about $10-20 for a quick 1-2 character commission with no background, which is also about what I charge, myself, usually.

Commissions, I think, will always be in. People love to have artwork done especially for them, whether of their own characters or their favourite characters. =)

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Others TBA

#3 User is offline   Lord Warhammer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11892

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

My friends seem to like copic commissions over things such as basic line art and colored pencils. I myself love paint, but paintings are even more expensive than copic creations. It is satisfying to know your drawing is a one of a kind. As for what is a good price range, I have no idea.
Artist Alley Assistant Department Head!
myspace, facebook, youtube, and photobucket links are on my about me page.
ACEN cosplays.. time to plan plan plan.

I go to and staff many cons. Let's have a blast!

#4 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

hmmmmmm

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#5 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

A few years ago, there was a table doing Ouran High School student ID "photos" with their Copics. Kind of a commission I guess, but it really grabbed my attention just because it was different. :)
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#6 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

View PostRori, on 06 December 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

A few years ago, there was a table doing Ouran High School student ID "photos" with their Copics. Kind of a commission I guess, but it really grabbed my attention just because it was different. :)

Hahaha, that might have been me. I have been doing ID cards of various shows/games for some time (actually just recently retired 'em).

HOWEVER! Copic commissions - I think they're great. I love to get them, and people seem to really like to commission them. A lot of it will depend on your personal style, though. I also prefer to use marker paper opposed to bristol board or regular paper. I also do lots of shading, as opposed to just flat colors.

Here's what I usually charge for colored commissions:

5x7 - $15

8x10 - $35

Usually with these commissions, the image will fill most of the page (2 people max, anything after that, I start charging extra), and will probably have a swash of color behind them (so then the image is not so boring).

I find these price levels work for me, because they'll compensate me decently for my work, but at the same time prevent an overload of unfinishable commissions.

Hopefully that helps a little!

#7 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

Helps a bunch actually! Thankya much! :)

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#8 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:33 AM

View PostBrokenRemnantStudios, on 07 December 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

Helps a bunch actually! Thankya much! :)

Oh, I also forgot to add - that if they didn't want it colored, I usually offer cheaper alternatives.

I'll also have pencil sketches, or just plain inked ones, and have that at a slightly lower price than the copics. Sometimes people might only have a little bit of cash left, but REALLY want a picture.

NOTE: Don't make it too low, otherwise you'll get overwhelmed! (I've been there, it wasn't fun D: )

#9 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Lolz sweet! I have a bunch of blank 4 x 5.5 inch postcards i was considering using...I just wasn't sure what to charge >.<

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#10 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Items I use for commissions:
1) Aquash waterbrush (or other waterbrushes) and watercolor palette for watercolor commissions. I use 11 x 14 sized watercolor paper (usually canon cheaper stuff for cons)
2) Copic multiliner SP pens and Borden & Riley #234 Bleedproof 9" x 12" paper for lineart/ink commissions
3) Copic and Tria Lettraset Markers and Borden & Riley #234 Bleedproof 9" x 12" paper for marker commissions
4) 32 lb 11 x 17 paper and Prismacolor Col-Erase pencils for pencil sketch commissions
5) (adding for 2012) 11 x 14 bristol and graphite/charcoal pencils for detailed b/w drawings.

For marker and ink I swear by Borden & Riley #234 Bleedproof paper. I don't know any artist who has tried it who hasn't immediately sworn their undying love of this marker/pen paper. I get the 9 x 12 size for conventions. I let people choose either 1/2 page (6" x 9") or full page (12" x 9").

I was surprised how many commissions I did in 2011 (I probably average 8-10 a convention, and I always had a waiting list I didn't get to). I probably could have done more commissions if I had taken a person with me to run the table while I drew, but I was alone at a lot of cons this year. I was always hesitant about doing them, because I wasn't sure that people would like them, but it seemed to go really well. By far, the most popular commission type I get is option 4. People really like it when they get to pick the color I sketch in, and they like the big paper size too (which is great, because I love drawing in the that size). My 11 x 17 pencil sketch commissions are $10 for one character, and then $18 for two, but I'm really thinking of changing that to $8 for one character and $15 for two soon. I often give those price breaks to characters I know or like drawing already.

Items I highly recommend people invest in: Some kind of waterbrush. They are amazing. I love, love, love them for on the go commissions with watercolor. The Borden & Riley #234 paper, because it is the best of bristol paper and marker paper. And the Prismacolor Col-Erase pencils are so much fun.

My thoughts on pricing: Commission pricing is sometimes very specific to an artist's skill and cost involved. Sometimes other artists think my prices are ridiculously low, sometimes ridiculously high. I like them, because I feel I'm at least making minimum wage on a drawing.

Oh, and one last bit of advice. Always have your prices "starting" at a certain dollar amount. My $10 sketches are listed as "Starting at $10" because that way I don't seem like a jerk when someone comes and commissions a WoW character with armor that takes a ton of extra detail and time and I ask for $12 or $15 for that commission. Don't be afraid to turn down commissions too. There are some commissions I know I will dread drawing. Unless you are really up to drawing *anything*, there is no shame in saying politely that a commission might not be for you. Finally, I have friends who have tip jars. I haven't started that yet, but I should, because I have tippers already, and I think I'd get more if I had a jar that welcomed them. My friend from Texas that has a tip jar literally makes $200 in tips in a weekend at some cons. Just saying. /tons of unsolicited advice

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users