Anime Central Forums: Food within walking distance of the Hyatt? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Food within walking distance of the Hyatt?

#1 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

Since it's my first year 2012 at ACEN, looking for the wisdom of other con goers as to inexpensive places within walking distance from the con to eat at. I don't mind jumping on the L, but would like to keep that down to a minimum. Suggestions?
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

*Mcdonalds

*The pizza place near mcdonalds, not too sure what the name of it is.

But these places are a kind of a decent walk, not down the street.

And that's it really. It's better that if you get hungry to order out, since many places deliver to the Hyatt and are within car distance.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

Inexpensive? McDonald's comes to mind. There is also a Denny's but that makes for a long walk. I think there is a Subway in that direction as well. On foot, and depending on how far you are willing to hoof it, the options aren't all that great.

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 November 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

*The pizza place near mcdonalds, not too sure what the name of it is.

Giordano's

#4 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

View Postrondo, on 04 November 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Inexpensive? McDonald's comes to mind. There is also a Denny's but that makes for a long walk. I think there is a Subway in that direction as well. On foot, and depending on how far you are willing to hoof it, the options aren't all that great.

Giordano's

Thank you, both. Ordering to the Hyatt once may not be a bad idea. Thank you!

This post has been edited by Defyplums: 04 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

#5 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

View PostDefyplums, on 04 November 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

Since it's my first year 2012 at ACEN, looking for the wisdom of other con goers as to inexpensive places within walking distance from the con to eat at. I don't mind jumping on the L, but would like to keep that down to a minimum. Suggestions?

What do you consider inexpensive and what do you consider walking distance?
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#6 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

There is also a Dunkin Donuts inside the L train station stop. Its actually about half the distance of the McDonnalds. They arent much, but they do have some good hot sandwiches. You technically have to have a bus pass to get to it, but usually the attendant will let you through if you say your just going there.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 04 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#7 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Maybe that depends on how far you are willing to walk. McDonalds is a pretty long walk and it is the closest thing.

If you go south far enough isn't there a Subway, Denny's, and a super market? They are about 1.3 miles from the Hyatt (a 30 minute walk).

#8 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostIsamu, on 04 November 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

What do you consider inexpensive and what do you consider walking distance?

I walk 2 mi a day, so anything in there is okay. Inexpensive would be $10 or less per person per meal :)

#9 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

There are also the hotel options, during the day you can eat at the Expoteria, which is the cafeteria in the convention center. Burgers at the Red bar in the Hyatt are pretty awesome. Also for the past several years the Hyatt has been running themed buffets at the O'H Grill. The grab and go lunches in the Hyatt aren't bad and snacks in Perks are the same as grabbing snack in a Starbucks. In the food section of our program book and in the mobile app there are places that will deliver straight to the Hyatt.

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#10 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

Note on Red Bar: there are sometimes online coupons similar to groupon if you look hard enough. Though there might be a chance of it not being valid during Acen if it counts as a special event in the rules of one coupon I saw...
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#11 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

View PostPurplegodess, on 07 November 2011 - 01:23 PM, said:

There are also the hotel options, during the day you can eat at the Expoteria, which is the cafeteria in the convention center. Burgers at the Red bar in the Hyatt are pretty awesome. Also for the past several years the Hyatt has been running themed buffets at the O'H Grill. The grab and go lunches in the Hyatt aren't bad and snacks in Perks are the same as grabbing snack in a Starbucks. In the food section of our program book and in the mobile app there are places that will deliver straight to the Hyatt.

That is GREAT to know! Thank you, Purplegodess, from the Plum :)

This post has been edited by Defyplums: 08 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

#12 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I kinda like Maria's Mexican Restaurant, which is a few blocks due south (just past the Rosemont Theatre), slightly hidden on Foster Avenue. I think it's still open...

The ACen weekend is rather busy, so I had nearly my meals around the con center/hotel. Please keep in mind that you *will pay more* if you eat at the Expoteria, any of the kiosks around the con center, or the hotel restaurants. You will need solid food in order to endure the weekend, so be prepared.

If you have a hotel room right near ACen events, then you can order food from restaurants a few miles away. But you will need patience and planning. And always make sure to tip the person well -- they probably have to slog through crowds in order to get to where you're staying.

To save money, bring food to your hotel. Get stuff which is not likely to cause a mess, and which doesn't require refrigeration or cooking. Always have portable, ready-to-eat food on hand. Granola bars and bottled water are very useful. If you can keep a spoon or two clean, then you may want to try plastic fruit cups or cans of meat. Be sure to browse other forum topics about this, in which people discuss hotel-safe and portable food.

This post has been edited by dorkatlarge: 08 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

#13 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

I always recommend the Expoteria for reasonably priced food that's right in the heart of the action. The special of the day is sometimes around $10. I've managed to eat there for under $15, it's probably one of the cheapest places right around the Hyatt.

dorkatlarge 's recommendation of bringing food is also good. I do that for Chicago TARDIS, the only other con I stay in a hotel for, and it really helps reduce food cost. I picked up an electric kettle for under $20 at Meijer & I bring that to conventions. It's great for making oatmeal or ramen, and of course, Starbucks coffee :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#14 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Post icon  Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

View PostDefyplums, on 04 November 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

Over by Rosemont/so close to O'Hare there are not really any eating options at/near the L, since west 1/2 stops is the airport & east a few stops is residential/parking garages.If you took it far enough down the line you'd find stuff eventually, but that's just out of the way & more hassle than the other options I've outlined below. (Important details & key words are bolded, alt-colored, or otherwise different from plain text. Easier to spot key details at a glance that way.~ ^^7)

Cheapest option available is free.....being make sure to pack snacks & lunches with you on the go (PB&J, trail mix, the usual drill), or bring Cup O' Noodles ramen to make OldSchool-style ACen Coffeepot Ramen (brew water & pour in ramen cup) lol. Otherwise.... well, just be prepared to not be getting a full, filling meal for under $5. Chicagoland isn't exactly noted for cheap cost-of-living.

If you live in Chicagoland, you'll be used to the prices, or at least not too shocked at what the hotel shops/cafes/restaurants/bars charge in Rosemont (more than the suburbs, less than downtown, still enough to make non-IL/Chicagoans cry lol).

Even though it's RIGHT THERE in the Hyatt, the ground-door/lobby-level buffet is overpriced & the food is undercooked (the pizza batter/dough has /always/ been still partially raw & cold whenever I've ordered it in the last ~10 yrs). The Hyatt's Red Bar's not too bad (still cheaper than lunch downtown) & they do have the option to get a small pizza/Chicago eats for under ~$20 (iirc pizza was $13/entree or sandwich $9-11+ & drinks ~$3+, so w/ tax ~$3/4 [@~13%] = ~$20). The Hyatt cafe/shop is open 23/7, being closed for an hour around 3am for cleanup of the day's residual con funk; be aware that just a single soda & candy bar will run you about $6 after the lovely 13% hotel tax, and the frozen meals (pizza, burritos, mini lean cuisines) are several $ each but you are allowed to use the on-site microwave. They also serve Starbucks coffee with about half the Starbucks options lol (though being in so small a space, it's forgivable ww). If you need to contact the hotel for any of these three locations, the main Hyatt number is (847) 696-1234, & for GPS coordinates, 9300 Bryn Mawr Ave, Rosemont, IL 60018.

Gibson's Steakhouse (in the DoubleTree) will give you a coronary poppin' unless you find $50+ for a single steak (no drink, sides, tax factored in), $20 a salad, or $15 a slice of cake to be a great deal. (Yes, they are those expensive, formalrestaurants - don't expect to go in full cosplay & get seated/served.) If you're staying in the DoubleTree though, the hotel's complimentary cookies are very nice. Their address is across River Road from the Hyatt/Donald E Stephens Convention Center at 9525 W. Bryn Mawr Ave., Rosemont IL, inside the DoubleTree itself & iirc accessible from the street, or you can just call (847) 678-5155 & set up a reservation/ask questions.

If you want a different expensive carnivore heaven, there is also Morton's the Steakhouse, located in the former Sofitel-turned-Hilton Rosemont at 9525 W. Bryn Mawr Ave, just across River Road from the Hyatt's driveway. They have very expensive main dining (lunch prices start at $30/person, & dinners at $109 for two), but at their bar some drinks/sides are under $10. Like Gibson's, they are a formal restaurant -- call and make reservations or ask questions at (847)678-5155.

If you're willing to walk/carpool about 1 mile (8 city blocks) down River Road into Schiller Park, there is a Denny's, ultimate land of the Cheap As Dirt Eatin's. The Denny's is located SOUTH on River Road (generalized "left" when walking out the Hyatt's main lobby), on the West side of the street (the same side as the DoubleTree/Embassy, Rosemont Theatre & Intercontinental hotel). Address is 4824 River Rd, Schiller Park, IL 60176, & phone is (847) 678-5556. A satellite view map with directions is located here.

Inside the convention center, as well as on the outside/shared street with the Hyatt's driveway, you will find a small diner serving what's basically better than HS cafeteria food, but still looks like a diner/cafeteria & sounds like it form all the con-goers packed inside. This is The Expoteria. Being vegetarian I can't vouch for the meat there, but I mooched fries off a friend once & they weren't bad (certainly not as godforsaken as McNasty's). There is also a small concession stand inside the Dealers Hall/Artist Alley space, serving the basic fair/party foods like popcorn, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, sodas, milks & candy. Not the healthiest but it's still pretty darn cheap (even if an ice cream cone is $2.50 .... *cheaplmao*). Phone is (847) 692-6415 & address is 9301 Bryn Mawr Ave, Rosemont, IL 60018.

Otherwise, yes, there is McNasty's the McDonald's up north on River Road, on the other side of the highway by about 3-4 long blocks. Note that if you are carry trays back that distance to the con area with you (!!!!), it gets heavy as all bleeding Hades by the time you make it back to the CTA lot/underpass zone - ditch your stuff in your room & just carry your wallet, or bring a friend/extra set of hands to carry with you. Otherwise, by the time you reach the CTA/underpass, you may just decide "screw this; enjoy free lunch turkey-sized Chicago pigeons!! >:/" ...and our lovely cat-feast birdies don't need anymore cholesterol, lmafao. Phone is (847) 825-3100 (though they'll likely be too busy being "all hands on deck" to the non stop crowds to have anyone actually manning the phones) & actual address is 6150 N. River Road, Rosemont, IL.

About mayhaps 100-150 meters up and left (NW) of McNasty's is the pizza place, Giordano's. Quintessential Chicago pizza & a personal favorite Chicago stop of mine (though I go to the ones nearer to where I live lmao), with good service, better eats, & prices that are not really bad at all (the $7-9 mostaccioli will have enough to eat AND have leftovers for a good 2 meals. Unless you want dine in/sit in service & the Chicago pizzaria experience (which if you're up for walking I'd say go for!), note that they do and will deliver to the con hotels. They're also open ridiculously late during ACen because the con's business singlehandedly pays their rent & checks for the month & maybe longer lmao. Telephone is (847) 292-2600 & Rosemont location address is 9415 W. Higgins Road, Rosemont, IL 60018.

Alternately, if you want something quite & a little further from the con for a little peace & calm eating, there is a Steak 'N Shake at 10421 W. Touhy Ave Rosemont, IL 60018. That is easily 2-4+ miles and NOT walkable, but one of the hotel shuttle buses goes right up there if you want to try that. Alternately, you carpool or join up with another group headed out that way. By car it's about 10-15min with light/decent Chicago traffic; in rush hour, it might just be better to not go until the cars are moving at more than 2-3 mph. Steak 'N Shake is open 24/7, and at 2-4 am/pm, they have "Happy Hour" pricing on their malt shakes ~ ^^d. If you have questions, call them at (847) 299-3944.

I'll edit this later to clean it up (a bit moar!), and if I can recall anywhere else .... ~10 years has slowly made the brain fuzzy even though I can walk there in my sleep. XD;

-- EDITED FOR ADDED DETAILS OF GREAT JUSTICE~~~~

This post has been edited by chainedbyroses: 10 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#15 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 08 November 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

I kinda like Maria's Mexican Restaurant, which is a few blocks due south (just past the Rosemont Theatre), slightly hidden on Foster Avenue. I think it's still open...

The ACen weekend is rather busy, so I had nearly my meals around the con center/hotel. Please keep in mind that you *will pay more* if you eat at the Expoteria, any of the kiosks around the con center, or the hotel restaurants. You will need solid food in order to endure the weekend, so be prepared.

If you have a hotel room right near ACen events, then you can order food from restaurants a few miles away. But you will need patience and planning. And always make sure to tip the person well -- they probably have to slog through crowds in order to get to where you're staying.

To save money, bring food to your hotel. Get stuff which is not likely to cause a mess, and which doesn't require refrigeration or cooking. Always have portable, ready-to-eat food on hand. Granola bars and bottled water are very useful. If you can keep a spoon or two clean, then you may want to try plastic fruit cups or cans of meat. Be sure to browse other forum topics about this, in which people discuss hotel-safe and portable food.

I've thought about bringing our own ready made meals that don't require cooking or refridgerating, because I learned the hard way how expesive food is at the Hyatt in Detroit. I've heard of legends of otaku cooking Ramen on coffee makers...not in a hurry to try that one out!

#16 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 09 November 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

Over by Rosemont/so close to O'Hare there are not really any eating options at/near the L, since west 1/2 stops is the airport & east a few stops is residential/parking garages.If you took it far enough down the line you'd find stuff eventually, but that's just out of the way & more hassle than the other options I've outlined below.

Cheapest option available is free.....being make sure to pack snacks & lunches with you on the go (PB&J, trail mix, the usual drill), or bring Cup O' Noodles ramen to make OldSchool-style ACen Coffeepot Ramen (brew water & pour in ramen cup) lol. Otherwise.... well, just be prepared to not be getting a full, filling meal for under $5. Chicagoland isn't exactly noted for cheap cost-of-living.

If you live in Chicagoland, you'll be used to the prices, or at least not too shocked at what the hotel shops/cafes/restaurants/bars charge in Rosemont (more than the suburbs, less than downtown, still enough to make non-ILans cry lol).

Even though it's RIGHT THERE in the Hyatt, the ground-door/lobby-level buffet is overpriced & the food is undercooked (the pizza batter/dough has /always/ been still partially raw whenever I've ordered it w/in the last 10 yrs). The Hyatt's Red Bar isn't too bad price-wise (still cheaper than grabbing lunch downtown) & they do have the option to get pizza & Chicago eats for under $20 (pizza iirc was $13 & drinks ~$3 so-> tax ~$3-4 @ ~13%). The Hyatt shop is open 23/7, being closed for an hour around 3am for cleanup of the day's residual con funk; be aware that just a single soda & snickers/candy bar will run you about $6 after the lovely 13% hotel tax, and the frozen meals (pizza, burritos, mini lean cuisines) are several $ each but you are allowed to use the on-site microwave. They also serve Starbucks coffee with about half the Starbucks options lol (though being in so small a space, it's forgivable ww).

Gibson's (in the DoubleTree) will give you coronary poppin's unless you find $50+ for a single steak (no drink, sides, tax factored in) to be a great deal. If you're in the DoubleTree though, the complimentary cookies they give you are very nice.

If you're willing to walk/carpool about 1/2 - 3/4 mile (4-6 city blocks) south, there is a Denny's, ultimate land of the Cheap As Dirt Eatin's. (When I can remember the address I'll edit it in, but just remember if Googling that it is NOT on the Rosemont side of the road, but on the divide of Rosemont & Schiller Park, making it -technically- a Schiller Park business.)

Inside the convention center, as well as on the outside/shared street with the Hyatt's driveway, you will find a small diner serving what's basically better than HS cafeteria food, but still looks like a diner/cafeteria & sounds like it form all the con-goers packed inside. Being vegetarian I can't vouch for the meat there, but I mooched fries off a friend once & they weren't bad (certainly not as godforsaken as McNasty's). There is also a small concession stand inside the Dealers Hall/Artist Alley space, serving the basic fair/party foods like popcorn, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, sodas, milks & candy. Not the healthiest but it's still pretty darn cheap (even if an ice cream cone is $2.25 .... *cheaplmao*).

Otherwise, yes, there is McNasty's the McDonald's up River Road, on the other side of the highway & up about 2 blocks. Note that if you are carry trays back to the con area with you, it gets heavy as all bleeding Hades by the time you make it back to the CTA lot/underpass zone - ditch your stuff in your room & just carry your wallet, or bring a friend/extra set of hands to carry with you.

About mayhaps 100-150 meters up and left (NW) of McNasty's is the pizza place, Giordano's. Quintessential Chicago pizza & a personal favorite Chicago stop of mine (though I go to the ones nearer to where I live lmao), with good service, better eats, & prices that are not really bad at all (the $7-9 mostaccioli will have enough to eat AND have leftovers for a good 2 meals. Unless you want dine in/sit in service & the Chicago pizzaria experience (which if you're up for walking I'd say go for!), note that they do and will deliver to the con hotels. They're also open ridiculously late during ACen because the con's business singlehandedly pays their rent & checks for the month & maybe longer lmao.

Alternately, if you want something quite & a little further from the con for a little peace & calm eating, there is a Steak 'N Shake up on Touhey (I likely just butchered that spelling, somebody suburban/North-Sider correct that plz). That is NOT walkable, but one of the hotel shuttle busses goes right up there if you want to try that. Alternately, you carpool or join up with another group headed out that way. By car it's about 10-15min with light/decent Chicago traffic; in rush hour, it might just be better to not go until the cars are moving at more than 2-3 mph. Steak 'N Shake is open 24/7, and at 2-4 am/pm, they have "Happy Hour" pricing on their malt shakes ~ ^^d.

I'll edit this later to clean it up a bit, and if I can recall anywhere else .... 10 years has slowly made the brain fuzzy even though I can walk there in my sleep. XD;

I'm just going to print this out and take it with me in April :) Such food wisdom!!! Thank you!

#17 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 09 November 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

Over by Rosemont/so close to O'Hare there are not really any eating options at/near the L, since west 1/2 stops is the airport & east a few stops is residential/parking garages.If you took it far enough down the line you'd find stuff eventually, but that's just out of the way & more hassle than the other options I've outlined below.

If you live in Chicagoland, you'll be used to the prices, or at least not too shocked at what the hotel shops/cafes/restaurants/bars charge in Rosemont (more than the suburbs, less than downtown, still enough to make non-ILans cry lol).

Even though it's RIGHT THERE in the Hyatt, the ground-door/lobby-level buffet is overpriced & the food is undercooked (the pizza batter/dough has /always/ been still partially raw whenever I've ordered it w/in the last 10 yrs). The Hyatt's Red Bar isn't too bad price-wise (still cheaper than grabbing lunch downtown) & they do have the option to get pizza & Chicago eats for under $20 (pizza iirc was $13 & drinks ~$3 so-> tax ~$3-4 @ ~13%). The Hyatt shop is open 23/7, being closed for an hour around 3am for cleanup of the day's residual con funk; be aware that just a single soda & snickers/candy bar will run you about $6 after the lovely 13% hotel tax, and the frozen meals (pizza, burritos, mini lean cuisines) are several $ each but you are allowed to use the on-site microwave. They also serve Starbucks coffee with about half the Starbucks options lol (though being in so small a space, it's forgivable ww).

Gibson's (in the DoubleTree) will give you coronary poppin's unless you find $50+ for a single steak (no drink, sides, tax factored in) to be a great deal. If you're in the DoubleTree though, the complimentary cookies they give you are very nice.

If you're willing to walk/carpool about 1/2 - 3/4 mile (4-6 city blocks) south, there is a Denny's, ultimate land of the Cheap As Dirt Eatin's. (When I can remember the address I'll edit it in, but just remember if Googling that it is NOT on the Rosemont side of the road, but on the divide of Rosemont & Schiller Park, making it -technically- a Schiller Park business.)

Inside the convention center, as well as on the outside/shared street with the Hyatt's driveway, you will find a small diner serving what's basically better than HS cafeteria food, but still looks like a diner/cafeteria & sounds like it form all the con-goers packed inside. Being vegetarian I can't vouch for the meat there, but I mooched fries off a friend once & they weren't bad (certainly not as godforsaken as McNasty's). There is also a small concession stand inside the Dealers Hall/Artist Alley space, serving the basic fair/party foods like popcorn, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, sodas, milks & candy. Not the healthiest but it's still pretty darn cheap (even if an ice cream cone is $2.25 .... *cheaplmao*).

Otherwise, yes, there is McNasty's the McDonald's up River Road, on the other side of the highway & up about 2 blocks. Note that if you are carry trays back to the con area with you, it gets heavy as all bleeding Hades by the time you make it back to the CTA lot/underpass zone - ditch your stuff in your room & just carry your wallet, or bring a friend/extra set of hands to carry with you.

About mayhaps 100-150 meters up and left (NW) of McNasty's is the pizza place, Giordano's. Quintessential Chicago pizza & a personal favorite Chicago stop of mine (though I go to the ones nearer to where I live lmao), with good service, better eats, & prices that are not really bad at all (the $7-9 mostaccioli will have enough to eat AND have leftovers for a good 2 meals. Unless you want dine in/sit in service & the Chicago pizzaria experience (which if you're up for walking I'd say go for!), note that they do and will deliver to the con hotels. They're also open ridiculously late during ACen because the con's business singlehandedly pays their rent & checks for the month & maybe longer lmao.

Alternately, if you want something quite & a little further from the con for a little peace & calm eating, there is a Steak 'N Shake up on Touhey (I likely just butchered that spelling, somebody suburban/North-Sider correct that plz). That is NOT walkable, but one of the hotel shuttle busses goes right up there if you want to try that. Alternately, you carpool or join up with another group headed out that way. By car it's about 10-15min with light/decent Chicago traffic; in rush hour, it might just be better to not go until the cars are moving at more than 2-3 mph. Steak 'N Shake is open 24/7, and at 2-4 am/pm, they have "Happy Hour" pricing on their malt shakes ~ ^^d.

I'll edit this later to clean it up a bit, and if I can recall anywhere else .... 10 years has slowly made the brain fuzzy even though I can walk there in my sleep. XD;

There is also a Denny's in the other direction pass the Double Tree and Intercontinental Hotels, it's a but of a walk but worth it. That is as far that I have went besides McNasty McDonald's and Giordano's and the other places in Chicago that I know of since I live here. I might bring my own stuff next year.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#18 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 09 November 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

There is also a Denny's in the other direction pass the Double Tree and Intercontinental Hotels, it's a but of a walk but worth it. That is as far that I have went besides McNasty McDonald's and Giordano's and the other places in Chicago that I know of since I live here. I might bring my own stuff next year.

Eh? The Denny's south on River Road (generalized "left" if you are walking out the Hyatt's main lobby doors), past the Intercontinental and DoubleTree is the one I'm talking about. I don't know of any North of the Hyatt/con center on River Road that would be in walking distance for attendees, unless you are talking about one nearer to O'Hare/Touhy (more driving than walking distance like with Steak 'N Shake)?

This page has the Schiller Park address & shows via google maps where it is on River Road in comparison to the convention center a couple blocks north/"up" on the map. ...This is the one you mean, right? (I'd be interested to see any other locations mapped too - good for late night drives/if the other Denny's overflow capacity like they did last year or the year before, & other non-con trips to the area. ^^d )

-- ALSO, EVERYONE USING MY LIST ABOVE: NOW EDITED & DETAILS ADDED/FIXED! NOW W/ PHONE & ADDRESSES! 8D --
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#19 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Don't make the mistake of walking to Gino's East. Boy, longest walk ever.

#20 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 10 November 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

Eh? The Denny's south on River Road (generalized "left" if you are walking out the Hyatt's main lobby doors), past the Intercontinental and Double Tree is the one I'm talking about. I don't know of any North of the Hyatt/con center on River Road that would be in walking distance for attendees, unless you are talking about one nearer to O'Hare/Touhy (more driving than walking distance like with Steak 'N Shake)?

This page has the Schiller Park address & shows via google maps where it is on River Road in comparison to the convention center a couple blocks north/"up" on the map. ...This is the one you mean, right? (I'd be interested to see any other locations mapped too - good for late night drives/if the other Denny's overflow capacity like they did last year or the year before, & other non-con trips to the area. ^^d )

-- ALSO, EVERYONE USING MY LIST ABOVE: NOW EDITED & DETAILS ADDED/FIXED! NOW W/ PHONE & ADDRESSES! 8D --

I think its the same one we are talking about that is on the same side and past Double Tree and Intercontinental Hotels. All I know is pass the Rosemont Blue-line stop is McDonald's and Giordano's and past the convention is Gibson's and Denny's. Plus the Dunkin Donuts inside the Blue-line station.

Another thing to keep in mind that other people will see this topic and use the Hyatt as the You are here starting point and don't know the area well, even I'm not familiar with the the area I just pass it on my way to work.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#21 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 10 November 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

Eh? The Denny's south on River Road (generalized "forward" then "left" if you are walking out the Hyatt's main lobby doors), past the Intercontinental and DoubleTree is the one I'm talking about. I don't know of any North of the Hyatt/con center on River Road that would be in walking distance for attendees, unless you are talking about one nearer to O'Hare/Touhy (more driving than walking distance like with Steak 'N Shake)?

This map page has the Schiller Park address & shows via google maps where it is on River Road in comparison to the convention center a couple blocks north/"up" on the map. ...This is the one you mean, right? (I'd be interested to see any other locations mapped too - good for late night drives/if the other Denny's overflow capacity like they did last year or the year before, & other non-con trips to the area. ^^d )

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 10 November 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

I think its the same one we are talking about that is on the same side and past Double Tree and Intercontinental Hotels. All I know is pass the Rosemont Blue-line stop is McDonald's and Giordano's and past the convention is Gibson's and Denny's. Plus the Dunkin Donuts inside the Blue-line station.

Another thing to keep in mind that other people will see this topic and use the Hyatt as the You are here starting point and don't know the area well, even I'm not familiar with the the area I just pass it on my way to work.

Then yes, that is the same Denny's in question, if you look at the map I linked in the first post I made (now edited with links & phones/addresses). As best I know, the Schiller Park location is the only Denny's near O'Hare/Rosemont, though I could be wrong since I'm closer to our city's Other Airport when it's not ACen spring.

Also, as for the CTA-housed Dunkin' Donuts, there's technically 2 DD inside the station - an outside/"Express" and a full once inside past the turnstiles (though just a head's up, like the other CTA DD locations, I *do* know the outside Express DD's NOT open all day, and only there/staffed until they sell out of what they've got, around morning rush or lunch bustle). The only drawback to the full scale one is you'd need to go buy a $4 train ticker to go get your food, unless you get a group & have one person do all the runs between the DD & station turnstiles, with a friend waiting on the other side to grab the food from that order run...

I know most people will be using the Hyatt, or at least the convention center, as their landmark "I'm Not Lost....yet" marker, which is why I'm working on taking a map image of Rosemont & superimposing my highlighted places over the satellite/street view (with a map Key of course). Big bright labels & placemarkers, big NORTH THIS WAY directional compass, Vegetarian/vegan options (V vs v), a small $$$ symbols key to guesstimate rough price ranges at a glance, 24/7 or ZzzZz for open late/24-7, among a few other ideas (and if I really make this as awesome as I want it to be then Rosemont should just hire me straightup for their strategic/target advertising/planning, bc sh****t for an annual crowd of ~5x their population I just did 99% of their OH HAI GIVV US YOAR MONNEH job for them XD).

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

If you can get a ride, go to Mitsuwa and get some food. If you have a cooler or stay at the Embassy you can eat Don dishes and ramen for next to nothing.

I don't know about other states, but Chicago is alright when it comes to pricing with the exception of franchises. Compare to places such as New York, Nevada, and California
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#23 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 08 November 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

This is what my friends and I did last year, with two trips to McDonald's for dinner. I think between the four of us, we spent $25 on breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the con - much better than going to eat every time we needed to eat.

Although, if you are a fan of McDonald's (technically I'm not, but I do enjoy their milkshakes and McNuggets), I do recommend taking the walk down there. I personally enjoyed the random conversations I've had with people on the walk to and from and while waiting in the line to order food. Plus, it's funny watching the expressions on people that come in and seeing a bunch of kids and adults in costumes for some odd reason. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#24 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 10 November 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

If you can get a ride, go to Mitsuwa and get some food. If you have a cooler or stay at the Embassy you can eat Don dishes and ramen for next to nothing.

I don't know about other states, but Chicago is alright when it comes to pricing with the exception of franchises. Compare to places such as New York, Nevada, and California

I'm thinking bringing food is the way to go. I'm from Northern Michigan, lakeside resort town, so food's not cheap by any means, but not CA prices!

#25 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

I know it is not within walking distance, but if you get the chance you should hit Paradise Pup. Great burgers.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#26 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 10 November 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

Also, as for the CTA-housed Dunkin' Donuts, there's technically 2 DD inside the station - an outside/"Express" and a full once inside past the turnstiles (though just a head's up, like the other CTA DD locations, I *do* know the outside Express DD's NOT open all day, and only there/staffed until they sell out of what they've got, around morning rush or lunch bustle). The only drawback to the full scale one is you'd need to go buy a $4 train ticker to go get your food...

They have ALWAYS let me through without paying fare when I tell them I'm just after Dunkin Donuts. I know they do it for other people to. You shouldn't have a problem getting through unless there is some kind of change this year.

View Postchainedbyroses, on 10 November 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

Also, as for the CTA-housed Dunkin' Donuts, there's technically 2 DD inside the station - an outside/"Express" and a full once inside past the turnstiles (though just a head's up, like the other CTA DD locations, I *do* know the outside Express DD's NOT open all day, and only there/staffed until they sell out of what they've got, around morning rush or lunch bustle). The only drawback to the full scale one is you'd need to go buy a $4 train ticker to go get your food...

They have ALWAYS let me through without paying fare when I tell them I'm just after Dunkin Donuts. I know they do it for other people to. You shouldn't have a problem getting through unless there is some kind of change this year.
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#27 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

pending on your hotel, some have resturants. Others have a LARGE wall of local place's to go to, or have delivered to your room. You can get a good deal if you shop around too. my room got 5 pizza's sent to us for 25 bucks because the guy had a deal with the hilton. It was really great pizza too.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#28 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

There is also a new entertainment area between Muvico theaters and the Aloft Hotel. It's called The Park and is supposed to open partially in a few months. Adobe Gila’s Margarita Fajita Cantina, Five Roses Pub, Kings Lanes & Lounge and Zanies Comedy Night Club should be open during Acen and the rest opens over the summer.

http://www.rosemont....at_rosemont.php
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#29 User is offline   sakurathekeyblademaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59128

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Last year, I ate Mc. Donalds and Giordano's while I was there. I liked Giordano's food, but Mc. Donalds made me sick, since I'm not use to eating their food. I was going to order some Chinese food this time, but if there's a Subway(which I like to eat at a lot), I wanted to know how many miles would that be from Marriott since I booked a room with them. I walk 3.5 miles from home to school, so walking isn't an issue.

This post has been edited by sakurathekeyblademaster: 16 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

2013 Expected Cosplays

KillerBee Naruto Shippuuden
Seras Hellsing
Aqua Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Chouji Akamichi Naruto Shippuuden
Santa Finland Hetalia

#30 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

There is a Subway about 2 miles south near Lawrence Avenue. Too far for my taste but sounds like you'd be ok with that.
All systems... GO!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users