Gently aged Otaku out there?

#31 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 20 October 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

Just throwing in my two cents on the age issue, you're never to old to come out and have fun! :D I'm only 19 myself, but me and my group of friends have been going to Acen going on 6 years, and have never had a problem with older attendees. Of course, unless you're the one old guy who looks like a creeper. Always notice one or two of those that we steer clear of, haha.

Well, luckily, I don't happen to be the old guy (anatomically, that won't work for me), so sounds like I'm in the clear! :lol: Most people don't hate, but I guess those of us stradling the 30 line look like some otaku's parental units? Not sure, pleased that there are so many of us from the 80s Anime scene out there!
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#32 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Will be 33 by April 2012.

ACen has been enjoyable since I started attending in 2005. But it's also hectic. Unlike small cons, it's tough to find time to talk with people. Even when I'm stuck in line, there's many distractions.

I attend a meetup group in Skokie (just outside Chicago) where every fan is 25+. If you don't have a similar group, then try to organize your own, or get older fans to meet around ACen.

#33 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 20 October 2011 - 05:16 PM, said:

Will be 33 by April 2012.

ACen has been enjoyable since I started attending in 2005. But it's also hectic. Unlike small cons, it's tough to find time to talk with people. Even when I'm stuck in line, there's many distractions.

I attend a meetup group in Skokie (just outside Chicago) where every fan is 25+. If you don't have a similar group, then try to organize your own, or get older fans to meet around ACen.

That's actually not a bad idea, DAL. I will be traveling with my 29 yr old partner and my sexy libraian friend who is a toe into her 40s, bringing her college bound daughter along for the fun. It's gratifying to know that once an otaku, always an otaku :)
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#34 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

If Defyplums and other people want to have an "older fans event" between now and ACen 2012, be sure to post on the Meet Up Zone section at http://www.acen.org/...57-meet-up-zone (My organizational skills aren't that great... and I bet someone else has a good idea on when and where to meet.)

#35 User is offline   johnkgibson 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62055

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hi all,

I guess I am the grandfather here - I am 48 and cut my teeth on StarBlazers back in 1980.

This is my first con I will be cosplaying at, part of that is my Daughter wanted to get into Anime and Conventions, she asked me to take her so I said ok.

I am feeling apprehensive about doing this because I am older. Would love to meet other older cosplayers so I don't feel like the only older person there.

(just re-read my older post and it didn't make sense... funny.... thought it sounded right when I posted it... :::sigh:::

This post has been edited by johnkgibson: 23 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

#36 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'm 30. I am cosplaying. My brother is 33 and he is too. My Mother will be in the mascarade this year. She is 58.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users