• You cannot reply to this topic

Gently aged Otaku out there?

#1 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61052

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Brand spanking new to ACEN! 2012 will be the first year I attend (I don't get out of the Mitten state much), which leads me to my question: I haven't seen this on the forums (thankfully), but there are some attendees who are not down with older Otaku (anyone over the agt of 25). I'm not ancient by any means, but I'm +hir+3y, so I suppose that would get some nark-bombs in some circles. What is the general concensus of not quite young but by no means old anime fans? We're all gonna hit that age sooner or later, so just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Meanwhile:

•Have you cosplayed? Every year. First started as Mikura from "Mezzo", then Mistress Airi from "Those Who Hunt Elves", Bulma from "DBZ", and Kasumi from "King of Thorn".

•Whereabouts are you from? Northern Michigan

•What are some of your favorite Anime or Mangas? Just about everything. Tenchi Muyo (watched this on Sci-Fi Channel's "Saturday Morning Anime" back in the day), Sailor Moon (had to get these bootleg from laserdisc), Akira, Azumanga Daioh, Wolf's Rain, Sgt. Frog, anything by Studio Ghibli or Madhouse Studios, Milenium Actress, Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original).

•Do you game? All old school. Complete sucker for Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, or Legend of Zelda. Tetris junkie. anything 8 or 16 bit.

•What is a hobby of yours? Drawing/painting. Book reviews.

Really looking forward to being back in Chicago again!!
"If epic failures were Olympic events, I'd be on the Wheaties box."

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

Even on troll sites, there is no age to stop cosplaying. We had people who were in their 60s still cosplaying before X3

But welcome to the forums and welcome to Chicago when you make it.

I'm old school for gaming too. I end up playing PS1 games or old NES/SNES games. Stuff like BL and Alex Kidd are classics. You'll feel welcome since a lot of people on the forum are part of the same tune.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 17 October 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

Even on troll sites, there is no age to stop cosplaying. We had people who were in their 60s still cosplaying before X3

But welcome to the forums and welcome to Chicago when you make it.

I'm old school for gaming too. I end up playing PS1 games or old NES/SNES games. Stuff like BL and Alex Kidd are classics. You'll feel welcome since a lot of people on the forum are part of the same tune.

Hee hee-Alex Kidd! Sweetness. Thank you for assuaging some doubts ;)

#4 User is offline   Nyanpire<3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60941

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

You are (Not) Alone! I'll be 32 by the time Acen gets here, but I'm not sweating it. ^_^ Most people won't know your age anyhow unless you tell them. I've been cosplaying the last few years, and enjoying every minute! I've cosplayed from Bleach, Inuyasha, Code Geass, and more. We should have a 30 and up meetup at con and grab some drinks or something lol! :thumbup:

#5 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Another old guy here. I will be turning 30 in about a month.

I mostly cosplay Alucard from Hellsing.

I play video games. I like both the old games and the new games. Got some good memories of growing up playing Duck Hunt and trying to shoot that annoying dog.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#6 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

View Postkahad, on 17 October 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

I play video games. I like both the old games and the new games. Got some good memories of growing up playing Duck Hunt and trying to shoot that annoying dog.

Holy crap are you getting old. I think anyone who has been attending for a decent amount of time should at least be hitting their thirties.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#7 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

View PostNyanpire<3, on 17 October 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

You are (Not) Alone! I'll be 32 by the time Acen gets here, but I'm not sweating it. ^_^ Most people won't know your age anyhow unless you tell them. I've been cosplaying the last few years, and enjoying every minute! I've cosplayed from Bleach, Inuyasha, Code Geass, and more. We should have a 30 and up meetup at con and grab some drinks or something lol! :thumbup:

That WOULD be fantastic to have a 30+ meet! Young otaku are great for leads on new anime/manga, I've found, but nothing beats talking "shop" with those who began all the fan craze :)

#8 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

View Postkahad, on 17 October 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Hee hee-Duck Hunt! Have you seen the Tetris Ninjas from Anime Boston? They did a great "shoot your favorite annoying Anime charaters" skit a few years ago. :) Good to know I'm not alone!

#9 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

View PostDefyplums, on 17 October 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

Brand spanking new to ACEN! 2012 will be the first year I attend (I don't get out of the Mitten state much), which leads me to my question: I haven't seen this on the forums (thankfully), but there are some attendees who are not down with older Otaku (anyone over the agt of 25). I'm not ancient by any means, but I'm +hir+3y, so I suppose that would get some nark-bombs in some circles. What is the general concensus of not quite young but by no means old anime fans? We're all gonna hit that age sooner or later, so just wanted to see what everyone thought.

I'll be 30 by the time ACEN rolls around. The nice thing about larger anime conventions and especially SCI-FI conventions is that they have a very large span of ages.

View PostDefyplums, on 17 October 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

Meanwhile:

•Have you cosplayed? Every year. First started as Mikura from "Mezzo", then Mistress Airi from "Those Who Hunt Elves", Bulma from "DBZ", and Kasumi from "King of Thorn".

•Whereabouts are you from? Northern Michigan

•What are some of your favorite Anime or Mangas? Just about everything. Tenchi Muyo (watched this on Sci-Fi Channel's "Saturday Morning Anime" back in the day), Sailor Moon (had to get these bootleg from laserdisc), Akira, Azumanga Daioh, Wolf's Rain, Sgt. Frog, anything by Studio Ghibli or Madhouse Studios, Milenium Actress, Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original).

•Do you game? All old school. Complete sucker for Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, or Legend of Zelda. Tetris junkie. anything 8 or 16 bit.

•What is a hobby of yours? Drawing/painting. Book reviews.

Really looking forward to being back in Chicago again!!

Tenchi OVA is my favorite anime of all time. :thumbup: Oh, and I have my original SNES with like 50 games I've acquired over the years, mostly when rental stores started off-loading them. I still don't have an English version of Chrono Trigger though... :unsure:

What aspects of ACEN are you most looking forward to?

This post has been edited by Scott: 17 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

#10 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hey man, I'm 30 as well! Welcome! 30 is an awesome age to be in. The 80s were great. Now stupid remakes are happening for the younger people lol. We were able to remember the epicness of Michael Jordan. Don't be ashamed.
ACen Mascot Artist

#11 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 17 October 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

We were able to remember the epicness of Michael Jordan.

YES :highfive:

#12 User is offline   Stormy-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 51456

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

View PostNyanpire<3, on 17 October 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

By no means are any of us alone :) My group of friends that come range from 28 years - 36 years, I personally will be 33 a week before Acen this year. It all comes down to young at heart and still enjoying the anime shows that make Acen great since I started going in 1999, lol that was a long time ago :D

#13 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

Let me (and as others have) assure you that you are hardly alone in that age bracket. Welcome to the boards.

#14 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

View PostScott, on 17 October 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'll be 30 by the time ACEN rolls around. The nice thing about larger anime conventions and especially SCI-FI conventions is that they have a very large span of ages.

Tenchi OVA is my favorite anime of all time. :thumbup: Oh, and I have my original SNES with like 50 games I've acquired over the years, mostly when rental stores started off-loading them. I still don't have an English version of Chrono Trigger though... :unsure:

What aspects of ACEN are you most looking forward to?

50 SNES games??? That's dedication, man. Do you have Earthworm Jim? Great music for such a crazy game!
I really like the first 12 episodes of the Tenchi OVA, but then it just got really silly and I couldn't love the last few episodes the way I loved the first. Still worth watching again and again, though.

I'm really looking forward to: The Artists Alley (hoping there's a larger dojinshi gathering at ACEN then at Michigan cons), the panels (again, the panels are good at cons like Youmancon and JAFAX, but they are few and far between on professionalism) and the masquerade (I has chump sewing skillz)

What would you recommend?

#15 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hey man, I'm 30 as well! Welcome! 30 is an awesome age to be in. The 80s were great. Now stupid remakes are happening for the younger people lol. We were able to remember the epicness of Michael Jordan. Don't be ashamed.

View PostStormy-chan, on 18 October 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

By no means are any of us alone :) My group of friends that come range from 28 years - 36 years, I personally will be 33 a week before Acen this year. It all comes down to young at heart and still enjoying the anime shows that make Acen great since I started going in 1999, lol that was a long time ago :D

View Postrondo, on 18 October 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Let me (and as others have) assure you that you are hardly alone in that age bracket. Welcome to the boards.

I've found my home! Totally not alone :)Thank you all for making me feel welcome. Now I REALLY want April 2012 to get here.

This post has been edited by Defyplums: 18 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

#16 User is offline   kahad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

View PostDefyplums, on 17 October 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hee hee-Duck Hunt! Have you seen the Tetris Ninjas from Anime Boston? They did a great "shoot your favorite annoying Anime charaters" skit a few years ago. :) Good to know I'm not alone!

I have not seen them. Due to lack of money, I can only go to two cons a year. I go to Acen and the OMG in Paducah, Kentucky. And the only reason I am able to go to these two is that I get free badges/hotel rooms for being on staff. And I am about 1 hour away from Paducah and my family lives 15 minutes away from there.

How I wish I had a job using my CS major. Darn my bad health the past year.

:thumbdown:

We were able to remember the epicness of Michael Jordan.

I remember that His Airness was the main reason I watched NBA basketball.

Another Michael that I remember the epicness of is Jackson. I used to dance in front of the tv whenever one of his music videos can only. I remember that it grently amused my mother.

#17 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

View Postkahad, on 18 October 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

I have not seen them. Due to lack of money, I can only go to two cons a year. I go to Acen and the OMG in Paducah, Kentucky. And the only reason I am able to go to these two is that I get free badges/hotel rooms for being on staff. And I am about 1 hour away from Paducah and my family lives 15 minutes away from there.

How I wish I had a job using my CS major. Darn my bad health the past year.

:thumbdown:

I remember that His Airness was the main reason I watched NBA basketball.

Another Michael that I remember the epicness of is Jackson. I used to dance in front of the tv whenever one of his music videos can only. I remember that it grently amused my mother.

The OMG con sounds interesting-how does it compair to ACEN? Just curious, I don't get to cons out of Michigan.

Jackson is epic. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough!
I usually get tied down to only 2 cons, also. Gotta keep my 2 year old son in cosplay and food :P

#18 User is offline   kahad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

View PostDefyplums, on 18 October 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

The OMG con sounds interesting-how does it compair to ACEN? Just curious, I don't get to cons out of Michigan.

Jackson is epic. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough!
I usually get tied down to only 2 cons, also. Gotta keep my 2 year old son in cosplay and food :P

The OMG con is a lot smaller than ACEN. Don't think they have released the numbers for this year's con, but the 2010 con had 1,253 people. Also no Japanese guests. Don't have the budget for them. While it's not as big as ACEN, it's not as hectic either.

#19 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

View PostDefyplums, on 18 October 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

I really like the first 12 episodes of the Tenchi OVA, but then it just got really silly and I couldn't love the last few episodes the way I loved the first. Still worth watching again and again, though.

I like you already.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#20 User is offline   ldychaos 

• Registration
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19374

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Welcome Defyplums. Just keep this in mind we are not gently aged; we are like wine, more savory with time.
2009-10: Reg Staff
2011: Reg Supervisor/Reg ADH 2nd
2012: Reg ADH 2nd/Reg ADH

#21 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 18 October 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

I like you already.

:clap: *slight blush* merci!

View Postldychaos, on 18 October 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

Welcome Defyplums. Just keep this in mind we are not gently aged; we are like wine, more savory with time.

Or, if you're anything like me, you're a savory bottle of antifreeze :lol:

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

There is a version that you can shoot the dog in duck hunt.

The game I really want is the original Mario Brothers for the Nes and Jack Brothers for the virtual boy.

Defyplums if you have a new gen you can play old Sega games easily. I was playing Phantasy Star III and SF. But no Boogerman...

That's if you get tired of blowing in carts.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#23 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:03 AM

View PostDefyplums, on 18 October 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

50 SNES games??? That's dedication, man. Do you have Earthworm Jim? Great music for such a crazy game!

I'm really looking forward to: The Artists Alley (hoping there's a larger dojinshi gathering at ACEN then at Michigan cons), the panels (again, the panels are good at cons like Youmancon and JAFAX, but they are few and far between on professionalism) and the masquerade (I has chump sewing skillz)

What would you recommend?

I do have that game. :highfive: The 3rd OVA didn't have the same feel as the original, but after researching the original Tenchi continuum and watching it again I liked it more than I initially did. It makes a lot more sense now. Watching GXP is also helpful because that's in the same continuity and happens ...if I can remember correctly... after the 3rd ova takes place (although it was produced before the ova). I'm still crossing my fingers for the hinted 4th ova that should re-focus back on the girls around Tenchi instead of "getting the ending out of the way" as the original creator put it. My biggest gripe with the 3rd ova was the animation style. Didn't have the same soft/cute feel of the original.

Your list sounds good. Most of the time at ACEN I do cosplay photography, but not everyone is into stuff like that. Panels are always good and I try to make a few of them. I like trying to make it to events like the fashion show too.

This post has been edited by Scott: 19 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

#24 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

View PostScott, on 19 October 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

I do have that game. :highfive: The 3rd OVA didn't have the same feel as the original, but after researching the original Tenchi continuum and watching it again I liked it more than I initially did. It makes a lot more sense now. Watching GXP is also helpful because that's in the same continuity and happens ...if I can remember correctly... after the 3rd ova takes place (although it was produced before the ova). I'm still crossing my fingers for the hinted 4th ova that should re-focus back on the girls around Tenchi instead of "getting the ending out of the way" as the original creator put it. My biggest gripe with the 3rd ova was the animation style. Didn't have the same soft/cute feel of the original.

Your list sounds good. Most of the time at ACEN I do cosplay photography, but not everyone is into stuff like that. Panels are always good and I try to make a few of them. I like trying to make it to events like the fashion show too.

Scott-my partner loves the Tenchi GPX series, but shame on me, I've yet to watch it! A 4th OVA??? O-M-G! I've found a few collections of the first 13 episodes of the original OVA, but damn if they aren't expensive! Would I ever be able to scam that at the dealers room?

I'm bringing extra lithium batteries for my camera, cosplay photography is HUGE at ACEN (so I've heard). Got any tips for a noob?

#25 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

View PostDefyplums, on 19 October 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Scott-my partner loves the Tenchi GPX series, but shame on me, I've yet to watch it! A 4th OVA??? O-M-G! I've found a few collections of the first 13 episodes of the original OVA, but damn if they aren't expensive! Would I ever be able to scam that at the dealers room?

I'm bringing extra lithium batteries for my camera, cosplay photography is HUGE at ACEN (so I've heard). Got any tips for a noob?

We need Funimation to do the re-release.

#26 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

View Postrondo, on 19 October 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

We need Funimation to do the re-release.

You're more likely to have your teeth pulled straight by the tooth fairy herself. The fact they released the 3rd OVA around 4 times is evidence enough that...

Well Hell, why release the first 2 OVA's when they can bring over the fan service du jour?

Also, the best you can do for finding the OVA collection is around 80 dollars, and of course that's used. I have no idea why unopened copies go for such exuberant amounts (most Ive seen is 800 dollars) but unless you got the cash to burn, a used one is sufficient.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#27 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

View PostDefyplums, on 19 October 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

With small cameras, good natural light can make a big difference in the overall photo. When you are inside, try to avoid shooting directly toward a bright window behind your subject. The person will be very dark and the window will be very bright. Using the built-in flash in that situation can help equalize the light a bit.

The 4th ova is only a big maybe someday type thing from what I have read.

#28 User is offline   Defyplums 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

View PostScott, on 19 October 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

With small cameras, good natural light can make a big difference in the overall photo. When you are inside, try to avoid shooting directly toward a bright window behind your subject. The person will be very dark and the window will be very bright. Using the built-in flash in that situation can help equalize the light a bit.

The 4th ova is only a big maybe someday type thing from what I have read.

Thanks for the info *scratches down in notebook* on cosplay photography. :highfive:

#29 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 19 October 2011 - 02:13 PM, said:

You're more likely to have your teeth pulled straight by the tooth fairy herself. The fact they released the 3rd OVA around 4 times is evidence enough that...

Well Hell, why release the first 2 OVA's when they can bring over the fan service du jour?

Also, the best you can do for finding the OVA collection is around 80 dollars, and of course that's used. I have no idea why unopened copies go for such exuberant amounts (most Ive seen is 800 dollars) but unless you got the cash to burn, a used one is sufficient.

For the original, I've had fleeting success (ova dvd 1 and 3). I should have gotten them much sooner because I'd rather avoid having to watch it through the laserdiscs.

#30 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Just throwing in my two cents on the age issue, you're never to old to come out and have fun! :D I'm only 19 myself, but me and my group of friends have been going to Acen going on 6 years, and have never had a problem with older attendees. Of course, unless you're the one old guy who looks like a creeper. Always notice one or two of those that we steer clear of, haha.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users