• This topic is locked

on site tattoos on site tattoos

#1 User is offline   batjuggalo187 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 9592

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

just wondering if a tattoo artist is allowed in artist ally ??

#2 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:52 AM

I can't even really imagine a scenario where it would be allowed, just the same as I can't imagine a scenario where tattoos at ACen would be even close to a sterile environment.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#3 User is offline   OctoberRaine 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61047

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

...talk about a weekend of bad decisions! o.o I bet you could hand out business cards to people for it, and have a portfolio - but you'd have to sell some actual prints of art, and wouldn't be able to actually GIVE people tattoos. As was mentioned already - that seems far from sterile!
This has been another OctoberRaine production.
Please check out my DeviantArt at OctoberRaine.Deviantart.com!

#4 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

Aside from sterility issues (we're about as sanitary as a trucker toilet after just one day .__.; ), there are a TON of legal hoops you'd have to jump through, not the least of which being license & liability. It might be more trouble than it's worth when you could always just put some portfolios & business cards out at your AA table with your sales stuff. :/

Among major things needing to be addressed when considering such: (*Text here are just things to consider)
- Your licensing (I believe IL/Cook county requires local licensing? Could be wrong.);
- the convention center's licensing (has the state authorized it as a location allowed to do such? can the legal host tattoos without classification as a tattoo parlor);
- insurance (who is legally liable in the event something goes wrong?);
- the convention's approval (does this reflect the image of a Family-Friendly Convention? Is there any way they can wind up liable a la BottleGate?);
- Handling of Minors and Potential Fake IDs (How can you be sure they're actually 18+? Can you identify fake IDs? Will you insurance cover lawsuits from angry parents with sneaky lying kids?)

Now, were you to do -henna- tattooing, that would likely be fine, as there were a few such artists approved in the past, & they were HUGE successes based of their lines & wait lists.

I'm not Staff or legal though, so don't hold my word as gold.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#5 User is offline   GinjaNinja 

• Controller
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59450

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

you could email artistally@Acen.org for a clear and concise answer on it
M.A.P.S. Controller 2014- Present

Anime Central Officer Staff 2011-2014

Ha Ha got your soul!

#6 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

My only real concern about it would be some of the hygiene requirements. Mainly this

Certain jurisdictions also require studios by law to have a sink in the work area supplied with both hot and cold water.

If that's one of the requirements set by Rosemont... there's no way of it happening due to lack of a sink.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#7 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Well there has been tattooing conventions held at Rosemont in the past. Having said that they may have had special permission to conduct such activities, and special accommodations to facilitate tattooing.

In addition to having a license, the tattoo should be performed in a sterile environment(ACen is anything but lol) in accordance with the IL Department of Professional Regulation(you also have to notify the department see quote below), and you must be able to dispose of used needles in accordance with state law. With blood borne illnesses being a major concern I don't know if you would be able to properly dispose of said hazardous waste. Another hassle is all the forms and disclaimers you are required to have the potential client sign.

"Reporting requirement. All tattoo artists shall report in writing to the Department every change of the principal site at which the tattoo artist is practicing tattooing or body piercing. All reports shall be made no later than 14 days after the change has occurred."

This is one of my main concerns:
"Disposal of infectious waste. Used tattoo needles and other infectious waste shall be stored, treated, and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Title XV of the Environmental Protection Act that regulate the management and disposal of infectious waste."

Here is the IL state law on tattooing http://www.ilga.gov/...00HB2496LV.html
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#8 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

I seem to recall one being at Acen in the past.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#9 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

C2E2 had tattoo artists and that was held at the McCormick Place. It might be a possibility at ACen, but I wouldn't want to go to a con to get a tattoo unless they do a damn good job and I know they make sure the equipment they use are clean. I'd much rather just go to my tattoo artist where I know they clean their equipment and such if I want another tattoo.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#10 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

It looks like everyone beat me to the punch on this one.

Thank you to, Chainedbyroses, Kitsu-chan, and DavenEvanXaviour for bring up some very important issues and presented some very helpful information.

That all being said, if the tattoo is permanent, I would gear them away from the Artist Alley, and into a more Exhibitor type booth. They can email my team and I, and we will be more than happy to help work out the details between ACen and the Artist.
If the tattoo is temporary, I would gear them more toward the Artist Alley.

We have had both temporary and permanent tattoo Artists at ACen before. We even looked into bringing a permanent tattoo artist for our 13th Anniversary, but it wasn't in the cards that year. Maybe things will change for our 15th, but I don't want to make any promises.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#11 User is offline   batjuggalo187 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 9592

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 20 October 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

It looks like everyone beat me to the punch on this one.

Thank you to, Chainedbyroses, Kitsu-chan, and DavenEvanXaviour for bring up some very important issues and presented some very helpful information.

That all being said, if the tattoo is permanent, I would gear them away from the Artist Alley, and into a more Exhibitor type booth. They can email my team and I, and we will be more than happy to help work out the details between ACen and the Artist.
If the tattoo is temporary, I would gear them more toward the Artist Alley.

We have had both temporary and permanent tattoo Artists at ACen before. We even looked into bringing a permanent tattoo artist for our 13th Anniversary, but it wasn't in the cards that year. Maybe things will change for our 15th, but I don't want to make any promises.

thank u i will let my artist kno

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users