• This topic is locked

Live Bands

#1 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'd like to know how a band goes about playing in the lobby area, under the elevators where the Spoony Bard/Their-New-Name plays. If possible, I'd like to reserve a two hour block to play on Friday and/or Saturday. Thanks for your help.
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#2 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

There are no slots to sign up for or anything like that. Groups just take it on themselves to play there. Groups that want to play in this area should contact... I'm guessing Panel Programming (at panelprogramming-dh at acen dot org)? I am not sure that the specific area where the ex-Spoony Bards played last year will be open for performances (we want to use that area for lining people up, but we'll see if that's in the final plan), but there are no rules against a band or similar performing group finding a public space and performing for the public in any of the buildings the con is in.

The only reasons we may ask you to move or stop are:
  • If you are causing a crowd control issue. This is far and away the most frequent occurrence. In this case, we'll generally ask the crowd to reshape itself rather than tell you to stop playing, but you can help avoid this by not setting up in a place where people who stand (or sit!) to watch you would be blocking doorways, escalators, registration lines, entrances to Artist's Alley, fire exits, and so on.
  • If you are charging money for people to watch you play. This would be a big issue; it has the potential to fall under all sorts of laws about necessary permits and requirements for performance venues and tends to make the cops nervous, which tends to make us nervous. So a tip jar is all right, but requiring people to pay to hear you is not. Selling CDs (CDs! When are we, 2002?) is fine, but you can't have a sign advertising their costs, because that is technically against ACen's no-signs policy not okay, as this is against ACen's policy.
  • In general, if any signs you put mention money. So no pricing advertised on the CDs (though note I'm not saying you can't charge money for them), and no "we play for tips!". A labeled tip jar is fine in my opinion. (Writing this stipulation has made me realize that it might be worth going over the ol' no-signs-policy and making it a little more nuanced.)
  • If you are causing a noise issue. This means, for example, if you have set up near Main Programming and people inside can't hear the programming in there because of you, or if you set up in the lobby and people with rooms in the atrium balconies can't concentrate or sleep because of you. It's unlikely this will come up unless...
  • The hotel asks us to ask you to move or stop. We can have all the policies we want, but it's the hotel's property, and if they ask us to ask you to move, it's because they are being polite and letting us interact with our own attendees instead of doing it themselves. This shouldn't really happen if you follow the guidelines above, but occasionally the domains of things like "acceptable noise level" and "causing a crowd control issue" have slightly different definitions in IRT's collective consciousness and in the hotel staff's. We like being at the Hyatt, though, so we are most likely going to take their side. Likewise if Rosemont Public Safety asks us to shut you down; that one is (a) a no-brainer, and (b) really, really, unlikely to happen. Like, I'll eat my hat if that happens. Well, I'll buy a hat and then eat it.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm looking forward to randomly stumbling on your band!

This post has been edited by TheRabbi: 04 October 2011 - 11:52 AM
Reason for edit: Rearranged the post to reflect Purplegodess's comments below.

Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#3 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

That's a huge help, and pretty much summed up any questions I might have had. Thanks a lot!
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#4 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Some notes on this....Actually the Spoony Bards were approved to play and that area was set aside for them last year. If you require power it needs to be approved, or the hotel will get ready to give you a handy dandy big electrical bill. And CD's are not allowed to be sold, there's no selling of merchandise unless you have and artist alley or exhibitor badge, and are under those contracts.

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#5 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

In addition if you would like to check out the Artist Alley and or Exhibitor information, you can find them by following these helpful links.

Artist Alley & Art Show General Information

Exhibitor General Information

Artist Alley Rules and Regulations

Exhibitor Rules and Regulations

Please remember that no one, or company, is allowed to sell anything in the Hyatt, as that conflicts not only with their contract, but also with the convention policy on selling items only in the convention center.
If you have any questions about where you are permitted to sell items if it is approved, how to obtain a contract to sell items, or any information about the Artist Alley, Art Show, or Exhibitor Hall, Please send an email to one of the email addresses in my signature.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#6 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

My primary answer post has been changed to reflect the notes given above.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#7 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Would it be okay to contact them sometime in November-December, before Christmas? I want to have all of my ducks in a row before I talk about stuff like power requirements.

Facebook

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users