Anime Central Forums: Anime for teh n00bz! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime for teh n00bz! what have you used to introduce anime to your non anime friends?

#31 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on 26 September 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Jersey Shore. *sighs*

That show kills braincells I swear. lol I don't see the point of watching it. lol

Yeah, I don't know either. They haven't watched it in a while because of school work and stuff, but they still like it. Again, they are 100% girly girls to the core. It's cool with me, but it makes finding anime for them much, much harder! XD I told one about Fushigi Yuugi and she said she would probably enjoy that. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on what they see for their first and what they think of it. ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#32 User is offline   OtakuChica 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60765
  • Location:Hiding In your pantry. What? I get hungry watching you!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Teen Titans has an anime feel to it, even though it's American. If they haven't seen that it might be a good place to start. They even have a movie where they go to Tokyo and speak Japanese! :D
ACen 2011 - Haruhi Suzumiya
ACen 2012 - Shippuden Sakura Haruno
ACen 2013 - Friday: fem!Jack Frost Saturday: Toon Link

#33 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

View PostOtakuChica, on 27 September 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Teen Titans has an anime feel to it, even though it's American. If they haven't seen that it might be a good place to start. They even have a movie where they go to Tokyo and speak Japanese! :D

Teen Titians is pretty cool. I will for sure put that on the list as well. But do you know any places where we could watch it/stream it online? Because specifically I'm looking for dubs since well, they said specifically they don't wanna read subs and 2) idk where I could find tons of eps of Teen Titians. Unless you know.... :3
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#34 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I thought about something with drama and girly:

Peach girl

I was trying to find other anime, besides Korean manga, but no luck. FY was actually my first manga, next to OMG!

Try Crunchyroll or Animestream for online anime, YT for Teen Titans, (I know BleachExile used to but I haven't been on there for years.)

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 28 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#35 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

Just so no one gets yelled at, remember, only link to legal anime sites. Crunchyroll or Funimation are examples.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#36 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

Another that I would like to recommend is Honey & Clover.

I've only watched 2 eps so far, so I can't give a proper review yet. It's available streaming on netflix if you wanna check it out.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#37 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

A couple movies I like to recommend.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Redline.
ACen Mascot Artist

#38 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

Yeah the more I've been thinking about it I've been gearing towards movies more and more, so then we can just watch a full thing in one sitting, so at first they don't have to worry about episodes and all. And because they all love romance but also cuteness I was kinda thinking Ponyo. I think they all would really love it...I can already hear them "awww-ing" at the ending. XD

#39 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

The ending of Ponyo made me smile, haha. I recommended someone that movie recently. Since were on the movie subject, you could let them check out Satoshi Kon's movies too. Tokyo Godfathers, Paparika, and Millennium Actress are really interesting.
ACen Mascot Artist

#40 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 28 September 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

The ending of Ponyo made me smile, haha. I recommended someone that movie recently. Since were on the movie subject, you could let them check out Satoshi Kon's movies too. Tokyo Godfathers, Paparika, and Millennium Actress are really interesting.

I was about to watch those soon on my own when I get the time. I think movies might be the safer side just for the introduction, then later get into series. Because they still see anime as "cartoons" and they're not. So maybe if they see anime as in movies but like legitimate movies (not our cartoony movies we have today that are animated more geared towards kids mostly) then they'll be like "oh, it's like a normal TV show" kinda thing. I feel I need to go slower with them because I don't want to culture shock them since they aren't even close to being geeks or anything XD. Baby steps. :3

#41 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 28 September 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

I was about to watch those soon on my own when I get the time. I think movies might be the safer side just for the introduction, then later get into series. Because they still see anime as "cartoons" and they're not. So maybe if they see anime as in movies but like legitimate movies (not our cartoony movies we have today that are animated more geared towards kids mostly) then they'll be like "oh, it's like a normal TV show" kinda thing. I feel I need to go slower with them because I don't want to culture shock them since they aren't even close to being geeks or anything XD. Baby steps. :3

I agree with you there. I'd say movies and OVAs containing 3-6 episodes are good for now. Ease them into a 12 episode series and so on. ^_^
I recently watched Gunsmith Cats, which is based in Chicago. So maybe it'll be cool to them to see some of the familiar landmarks. Birdy the Mighty is a good sci-fi OVA as well. That one's like 4 episodes long. Not sure how difficult it'll be to find.

This post has been edited by Animexcel: 28 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

ACen Mascot Artist

#42 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 28 September 2011 - 10:12 PM, said:

I agree with you there. I'd say movies and OVAs containing 3-6 episodes are good for now. Ease them into a 12 episode series and so on. ^_^
I recently watched Gunsmith Cats, which is based in Chicago. So maybe it'll be cool to them to see some of the familiar landmarks. Birdy the Mighty is a good sci-fi OVA as well. That one's like 4 episodes long. Not sure how difficult it'll be to find.

Thanks for the suggestions. ^_^I mean I'll admit I haven't seen TOOOOOONS of animes so I mean that's why I asked everyone lol and the animes that I know wouldn't be great intro-animes and it was hard for me to find 12 episode ones...and I thought of Elfen Lied because of the dramatic tragedy...and I kinda described it to my roomies and once I said "it's kinda bloody and stuff" they were just like "ewwwwww." lol. Then I remembered the original Hellsing but then I described that to them (and even though they all love Twilight) they were like "no thanks." Though I might one day make them see Hellsing if they enjoy anime and show them what vampires REALLY ARE. XD

#43 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 28 September 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions. ^_^I mean I'll admit I haven't seen TOOOOOONS of animes so I mean that's why I asked everyone lol and the animes that I know wouldn't be great intro-animes and it was hard for me to find 12 episode ones...and I thought of Elfen Lied because of the dramatic tragedy...and I kinda described it to my roomies and once I said "it's kinda bloody and stuff" they were just like "ewwwwww." lol. Then I remembered the original Hellsing but then I described that to them (and even though they all love Twilight) they were like "no thanks." Though I might one day make them see Hellsing if they enjoy anime and show them what vampires REALLY ARE. XD

You're welcome! I would find Elfen Lied difficult to describe as well, haha.. but yeah, one would need to have an open-mind to see it. =p
Some other short series I could think of are FLCL, Gunslinger Girl, and Haibane Renmei; which is a really character-driven show, but I liked it. :) Read or Die is another good one.
If your friends are interested in seeing a romance anime, I would suggest Kimi ni Todoke; a girl who is really kind, but has no friends, scares her classmates because she looks like the girl from The Ring. She falls in love with the most popular guy in school. That series 1st season is 25 episodes, it follows up with a 12 episode 2nd season.

This post has been edited by Animexcel: 29 September 2011 - 01:37 AM

ACen Mascot Artist

#44 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 29 September 2011 - 12:57 AM, said:

You're welcome! I would find Elfen Lied difficult to describe as well, haha.. but yeah, one would need to have an open-mind to see it. =p
Some other short series I could think of are FLCL, Gunslinger Girl, and Haibane Renmei; which is a really character-driven show, but I liked it. :) Read or Die is another good one.
If your friends are interested in seeing a romance anime, I would suggest Kimi ni Todoke; a girl who is really kind, but has no friends, scares her classmates because she looks like the girl from The Ring. She falls in love with the most popular guy in school. That series 1st season is 25 episodes, it follows up with a 12 episode 2nd season.

OMG FLCL is great. And it is comical and they did ask if they could maybe see a funny anime but I told them "well, from what you think is funny to what anime says is funny is a little different, due to all the Japanese humor." And again I had a hard time explaining Japanese humor, because to me it is something I just "get." But again you're talking to the person who laughs at almost everything that's meant to be funny. XD!

I have never heard of Kimi ni Todoke and it sounds great--and I would love to watch it as well haha! It sounds quite cute for sure. I was thinking Skip Beat! for my friends as well, but it's only subbed now and they made sure to tell me "I hate reading subtitles" and I was like ".......okay...." lol. Since well, subtitles are just a part of watching anime....mostly. XD I'm thinking Friday might be the day we all watch it...and I really hope they get into it...not like "oh I HAVE to go to a con now" but more understand more where I'm coming from and I'm REALLY excited they're opening their horizons. I'm really happy about that. I think that's what makes all of us good friend even though we are all so different. ^_^

#45 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

For the fellas: FLCL

For the ladies: NANA

For everybody: Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#46 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 29 September 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

OMG FLCL is great. And it is comical and they did ask if they could maybe see a funny anime but I told them "well, from what you think is funny to what anime says is funny is a little different, due to all the Japanese humor." And again I had a hard time explaining Japanese humor, because to me it is something I just "get." But again you're talking to the person who laughs at almost everything that's meant to be funny. XD!

I have never heard of Kimi ni Todoke and it sounds great--and I would love to watch it as well haha! It sounds quite cute for sure. I was thinking Skip Beat! for my friends as well, but it's only subbed now and they made sure to tell me "I hate reading subtitles" and I was like ".......okay...." lol. Since well, subtitles are just a part of watching anime....mostly. XD I'm thinking Friday might be the day we all watch it...and I really hope they get into it...not like "oh I HAVE to go to a con now" but more understand more where I'm coming from and I'm REALLY excited they're opening their horizons. I'm really happy about that. I think that's what makes all of us good friend even though we are all so different. ^_^

You know, if I could suggest a funny anime, there are 2 of them I could think of that made me laugh to tears at times. Haré+Guu and School Rumble. It helps when it's more visually hilarious, and lots of random humor. So your friends may get a kick out of those. You have to see if they catch the jokes or not. I can't remember if there was one where I didn't get.

I think Kimi ni Todoke may be subbed only too. Too bad they're not open to subtitles. The first subbed anime I watched was Fushigi Yuugi and I had no problem with it, and it was actually the anime that got me watching anime in the first place. xD Let me/us know what they think of Skip Beat! I haven't seen that one yet :0 Yeah definitely, it's nice that they're interested in seeing what anime is all about. There is that whole subbed vs dub thing; but you could tell why you like watching it that way and perhaps they'll understand. If they like watching anime dubbed, that's their preference. It's a start! ┐(´ー`)┌
ACen Mascot Artist

#47 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 29 September 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

You know, if I could suggest a funny anime, there are 2 of them I could think of that made me laugh to tears at times. Haré+Guu and School Rumble. It helps when it's more visually hilarious, and lots of random humor. So your friends may get a kick out of those. You have to see if they catch the jokes or not. I can't remember if there was one where I didn't get.

I think Kimi ni Todoke may be subbed only too. Too bad they're not open to subtitles. The first subbed anime I watched was Fushigi Yuugi and I had no problem with it, and it was actually the anime that got me watching anime in the first place. xD Let me/us know what they think of Skip Beat! I haven't seen that one yet :0 Yeah definitely, it's nice that they're interested in seeing what anime is all about. There is that whole subbed vs dub thing; but you could tell why you like watching it that way and perhaps they'll understand. If they like watching anime dubbed, that's their preference. It's a start! ┐(´ー`)┌

That's a good idea. Maybe if I say WHY subs are great--at times (not saying all because I know there are many dub lovers and some dubs are great) subs are better. I'm gonna start them with English to get them used to seeing animation, and then maybe change the audio to Japanese. Like you said, it's a start. But why do I have this urge to show them Elfen Lied? I know it's crazy violent but idk I like it a lot. i'd LOOOOVE LOOOVE to show them Ghost in the Shell (obviously lol) but I'm afraid the over craziness of sci-fi and philosophy would confuse them. T_T I did that with other friends and it went waaaaay over their heads. XD

#48 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 30 September 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

That's a good idea. Maybe if I say WHY subs are great--at times (not saying all because I know there are many dub lovers and some dubs are great) subs are better. I'm gonna start them with English to get them used to seeing animation, and then maybe change the audio to Japanese. Like you said, it's a start. But why do I have this urge to show them Elfen Lied? I know it's crazy violent but idk I like it a lot. i'd LOOOOVE LOOOVE to show them Ghost in the Shell (obviously lol) but I'm afraid the over craziness of sci-fi and philosophy would confuse them. T_T I did that with other friends and it went waaaaay over their heads. XD

Yeah, for me it's hard to find a dub that I can believe in what a character is saying through voice actor's performance, that it becomes dry and ..fake. Elfen Lied is a good example of that actually. I was curious and watched the last episode in english; and if you saw the ending with Kouta and Lucy, you know it's suppose to be an emotional scene. But watching it dub, I couldn't help but laugh my butt off because Kouta's dub was so bad! But yeah, If your friends can handle animated blood, then it shouldn't be a problem. The imagery is disturbing, but it's different than watching real blood. It's exaggerated here and technically, it's not all bloody throughout the series when you look at it.
Yeah, GITS is pretty deep, but still interesting! If anything, you could say it inspired the Matrix xD lol I'd say a movie like GITS, they would need to watch it dub so they don't get lost reading and such :P
ACen Mascot Artist

#49 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

View PostKitsu-chan, on 28 September 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

Another that I would like to recommend is Honey & Clover.

I've only watched 2 eps so far, so I can't give a proper review yet. It's available streaming on netflix if you wanna check it out.

Watching that right now.
Love Shinobu.
Seriously what a weirdo.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#50 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 30 September 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

Yeah, for me it's hard to find a dub that I can believe in what a character is saying through voice actor's performance, that it becomes dry and ..fake. Elfen Lied is a good example of that actually. I was curious and watched the last episode in english; and if you saw the ending with Kouta and Lucy, you know it's suppose to be an emotional scene. But watching it dub, I couldn't help but laugh my butt off because Kouta's dub was so bad! But yeah, If your friends can handle animated blood, then it shouldn't be a problem. The imagery is disturbing, but it's different than watching real blood. It's exaggerated here and technically, it's not all bloody throughout the series when you look at it.
Yeah, GITS is pretty deep, but still interesting! If anything, you could say it inspired the Matrix xD lol I'd say a movie like GITS, they would need to watch it dub so they don't get lost reading and such :P

haha yeah my good friend who's favorite anime is Elfen Lied said and I quote "if I hear you ever watching the dub of EL I will kill you with my vectors!" XD so I don't. But I can't imagine it >____>. The sub was so good that I don't even want to try to see it.

And GITS did inspire the Matrix. XD I love it and I think that the dub for GITS (all incarnations) are pretty good. Especially the Manga UK dub for Innocence. Oh man. So, so awesome when Richard Epcar directs the dub! :D Yeah When I first saw Innocence with subs after I watched it I was like "yeah, I need to watch it again." LOL

#51 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

I second Kitsu-chan. Anything by Studio Ghibli is a god place to start, especially since they're just 1-2 hour movies instead of day long series.

Other than that I want to say FullMetal for boy/tomboys (or certain girls, I love it and am not really a tomboy, all depends on your friends) and Fruits Basket or Ouran High School Host Club for girls. and for younger audiences, Kaleido Star <3
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#52 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

I also would say anything by Makoto Shinkai. I only recently watched some of his works. I wish I would have watched some of his sooner. While not as large of a list as Studio Ghibli, he has done some great movies which can be found on Netflix.

Voices of a Distant Star
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
5 Centimeters Per Second
Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#53 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 01 October 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

haha yeah my good friend who's favorite anime is Elfen Lied said and I quote "if I hear you ever watching the dub of EL I will kill you with my vectors!" XD so I don't. But I can't imagine it >____>. The sub was so good that I don't even want to try to see it.

And GITS did inspire the Matrix. XD I love it and I think that the dub for GITS (all incarnations) are pretty good. Especially the Manga UK dub for Innocence. Oh man. So, so awesome when Richard Epcar directs the dub! :D Yeah When I first saw Innocence with subs after I watched it I was like "yeah, I need to watch it again." LOL

Hahaa, don't tell your friend that I watched some of it dub then xD But yeah, I went to one of the screening rooms at ACen, and the anime that was showing was dubbed, I had to walk out because of how bad it was.

Oh cool, so the UK dub must have the characters in a british accent, right? =P
ACen Mascot Artist

#54 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 05 October 2011 - 01:10 AM, said:

Hahaa, don't tell your friend that I watched some of it dub then xD But yeah, I went to one of the screening rooms at ACen, and the anime that was showing was dubbed, I had to walk out because of how bad it was.

Oh cool, so the UK dub must have the characters in a british accent, right? =P

Actually no. The Manga UK dub of Innocence was created because of the fact the US did not release a dub for Innocence--they left it with subtitles that were terrible with the original Japanese. Manga UK actually tracked down Richard Epcar to do it and he directed it with the Stand Alone Complex cast (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Motoko Kusanagi, Crispin Freeman as Togusa etc) but what he did with the voice acting was incredible and sounds GREAT (at least to me). He left all the bass in his voice so Batou sounds like a imitating deep voiced guy, Togusa has a manly voice and everything sounds great (in my opinion) with Epcar's directing. XD And they did it all under Manga UK.

But later the US did release a dub with the SAC cast, but it's directed under someone else. (I forgot who it was) and I saw both versions of it in English and i prefer Epcar's (the Manga UK dub) better. But that's just my opinion. ^_^;;;;
And it sounds great on surround sound and looks great on an HDTV on Blu-Ray. XD

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 05 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

#55 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 05 October 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

Actually no. The Manga UK dub of Innocence was created because of the fact the US did not release a dub for Innocence--they left it with subtitles that were terrible with the original Japanese. Manga UK actually tracked down Richard Epcar to do it and he directed it with the Stand Alone Complex cast (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Motoko Kusanagi, Crispin Freeman as Togusa etc) but what he did with the voice acting was incredible and sounds GREAT (at least to me). He left all the bass in his voice so Batou sounds like a imitating deep voiced guy, Togusa has a manly voice and everything sounds great (in my opinion) with Epcar's directing. XD And they did it all under Manga UK.

But later the US did release a dub with the SAC cast, but it's directed under someone else. (I forgot who it was) and I saw both versions of it in English and i prefer Epcar's (the Manga UK dub) better. But that's just my opinion. ^_^;;;;
And it sounds great on surround sound and looks great on an HDTV on Blu-Ray. XD

Wow, that's really awesome! I still need to check out Innocence. I think my friend has it, so I'll ask him to borrow it some day.
Did your friends like Angel Beats? xD
ACen Mascot Artist

#56 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 05 October 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

Wow, that's really awesome! I still need to check out Innocence. I think my friend has it, so I'll ask him to borrow it some day.
Did your friends like Angel Beats? xD

honestly we haven't watched anime yet...even I haven't watched anime in three days. In combination with sociology and THE EVIIIL Organic Chemistry exam I've been anime deprived. XD

I think I'm going to start with Ponyo....since today I learned my two roomies have already seen Spirited Away (and loved it) and want to see more Miyazaki films!!!! ^_^

#57 User is offline   Ashe Wednesday 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60778

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

A friend and I watched the dubbed version of Ponyo and loved it. Ponyo's father (Christian Bale?) still sounded a bit...wooden imo but it wasn't distracting from the story and everyone else was great.
"Ayy, what it do?"
"You called me. You tell me what it does."

#58 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 05 October 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

honestly we haven't watched anime yet...even I haven't watched anime in three days. In combination with sociology and THE EVIIIL Organic Chemistry exam I've been anime deprived. XD

I think I'm going to start with Ponyo....since today I learned my two roomies have already seen Spirited Away (and loved it) and want to see more Miyazaki films!!!! ^_^

Ahh I see, well first things first, right?
You can go no wrong with Miyazaki. His films are amazing. :) Totoro, Kiki's Delievery Service, Castle in the Sky, try checking out his music video On Your Mark.

Liam Neeson is the dub of Ponyo's father.
ACen Mascot Artist

#59 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 06 October 2011 - 06:48 PM, said:

Ahh I see, well first things first, right?
You can go no wrong with Miyazaki. His films are amazing. :) Totoro, Kiki's Delievery Service, Castle in the Sky, try checking out his music video On Your Mark.

Liam Neeson is the dub of Ponyo's father.

*sniff* It love Totoro..... :3

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users