Anime Central Forums: Anime for teh n00bz! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime for teh n00bz! what have you used to introduce anime to your non anime friends?

#1 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

I have a few inquires. XD If you had a friend or friends say "hey, I know you like anime, and I want to see it, can you introduce it to me?" And they knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Japanese culture, Japanese humor or anything related to that--and they wanted you to introduce them to anime what would you show them?

I was talking to XenoBlade about this earlier and it really got my mind going--because my college roomies who are very girly (but also very accepting :D) of my undying passion for anime said they want to see some anime and have me actually introduce it to them. XenoBlade suggested Cowboy Bebop because it's like American TV a lot and non anime lovers do really find to like it. I was going to start with Bebop but what about after? What would be some animes that would not scare my roomies away from anime? What would you show? ^_^ I'm having a hard time finding one because I feel all the animes I have seen and are the biggest fans of (like Ghost in the Shell :P) would be "too deep" or not be quite right for little anime noobies like my roommates. ^^;;;;;
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#2 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

welp my 2 ideas were already listed
~ wanders off~
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

Urotsukidoji...I mean it was just rescued, right?

In a more serious manner, what about Trigun? Yu Yu Hakusho?

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

Trigun, HunterxHunter?

I would say YuYu but it has some Japanese elements that might go over their head.

FMA and Eureka Seven or Wolf's Rain? I'm trying to consider less Japanese element anime to more bishonen/fantasy/simple types. Outlaw star? Slayers?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 23 September 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

Trigun, HunterxHunter?

I would say YuYu but it has some Japanese elements that might go over their head.

FMA and Eureka Seven or Wolf's Rain? I'm trying to consider less Japanese element anime to more bishonen/fantasy/simple types. Outlaw star? Slayers?

Lupin the third.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#6 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Honestly I would say anything by Studio Ghibli. I think their work always has great stories that even non-anime fans can enjoy. Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, & Howl's Moving Castle would probably would be my top picks.

Also, if you knew anyway to get ahold of The Borrower Arrietty. I've gotten to watch it once since my cousin my cousin recently returned from Japan.

This post has been edited by Kitsu-chan: 23 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#7 User is offline   rwarsauce 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 46332

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

When it comes to my female friends that I introduce anime with, I usually suggest toradora, itazura na kiss, clannad etc romance comedy stuffs

#8 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

well it depends I think on what kind of anime you wanna show. Comedy? I'd recommend SKET Dance or Mitsudomoe. Drama? I'd go with anything by Key Visual, Ano Hana, and Gosick. Action based? I'd go with Gundam Wing, Code Geass, or Scared Seven. Slice of Life? I'd go with A Channel, YuruYuri, or Lucky Star. there are so many more but those at my recommendations for starters
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#9 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone! I cant believe I didn't think of any of these, sounds great thanks everyone and for the suggestions. ^_^ I will definitely try them out and be sure to say what they think of them. :D I think next week they want to see them so I'll keep you guys updated. :D ^_^ if any one thinks of anymore please tell me and post it it's greatly appreciated! ^_^ :thumbup:
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#10 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

I can't believe I didn't mention Trigun or Studio Ghibli. X_X

But stuff like Lucky Star is just too japanese for people who aren't into it. Gotta start it off really slow, and something without weird quirky humor. lol Anything where someone will have to ask what's going on, isn't a good idea. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#11 User is offline   Griffith 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60430

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

I agree with Kitsu-chan and Magishine and rwarsauce.
A good lead into the more deeper animes should appeal to the interest of your friends.
Anime movies with a deep plot like Kitsu mentioned can have your friends delve into the more serious anime sooner or later.
Anime that reference to modern Japanese pop culture like SGT. Frog or especially Lucky Star are good.
Romantic anime definitely attaches the audience to the story.
I feel like those are good starting points to watch more anime, just try to see what kind of things your friends like watching and try to find something that would match that. And sorry if I kind of made a summurary or clashed ideas. :rolleyes:

#12 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:34 AM

I think the biggest problem when people suggest anime its not taking into consideration other peoples taste.

My cousins are not really into anime but they are comic book & video game geeks and I try to show them a few here and there that might catch their interest. So i always got to try and figure out if it will be to their taste or not. Most people tend to suggest what ever -they- like in contrast to what the other person might like. Like suggested above Just look at what some of their favorite TV shows are and try to find an anime with a similar feel to it, for example: if they are into the whole twilight thing maybe make them watch Vampire Knight. Another good suggestion is showing them movies. Because they can watch them in one sitting and not have to compromise having to watch the whole thing.

As mention before movies from studio Ghibli are always a good idea since they attract most people. I also recommend Summer Wars, Tokyo Godfathers and for you personal taste the Ghost in the Shell movie (I don't think the movie was that complex).
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#13 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

View Postopimus.rm, on 23 September 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

Lupin the third.

This. I loved that anime.

I agree with Griffith and Keans; a lot of anime has memes or quirks about the Japanese, (Like the first time I seen Lucky Star I didn't get some of the jokes and I thought I knew about Japan,) and very Japanese things like Golden week. So its good to consider their interests to get them into it before you show them animes you like.

So if they like romance with Euro feel, Emma is a good choice then maybe Black Butler. Sci-fi? Trigun the GntS. Mystery? Monster the DN (I put Monster first because you need no previous knowledge or feel of Japanese life for that anime. DN has a few Japanese pride and honor issues, as well as elements like pop idols, along with the mindgames but that my interpretation.)
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#14 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 24 September 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

This. I loved that anime.

I agree with Griffith and Keans; a lot of anime has memes or quirks about the Japanese, (Like the first time I seen Lucky Star I didn't get some of the jokes and I thought I knew about Japan,) and very Japanese things like Golden week. So its good to consider their interests to get them into it before you show them animes you like.

So if they like romance with Euro feel, Emma is a good choice then maybe Black Butler. Sci-fi? Trigun the GntS. Mystery? Monster the DN (I put Monster first because you need no previous knowledge or feel of Japanese life for that anime. DN has a few Japanese pride and honor issues, as well as elements like pop idols, along with the mindgames but that my interpretation.)

Yeah I just started Black Butler and I was thinking it might be a good choice for after their first anime. Hey do you think Hetalia would be a bad choice? I don't think it's overly Japanese since it goes off of sterotypes with countries and things, but do you think it would have too much of a Japanese flair? There is a lot of chibi but I think it might be good to use. What do you or anyone else think? ^_^

#15 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

I've been hoping to give a couple friends a good introduction to anime/manga. I've been trying to think about what they already enjoy, and find a relatively short feature film or OAV series that would be a good fit.

Thinking about recent movies, I'd second Keane's recommendation of Summer Wars. Why?

* It's not too long
* Not a barely disguised toy commercial
* Not based on a long running franchise
* Characters of varied ages
* Few if any fanservice/moe/harem elements
* No extreme violence
* Relatively good optional dubbed dialogue

That's why I think it would appeal to a wide variety of people. Aside from that, there's always classics like Castle in the Sky (despite the many instances of men with pink pants) and Grave of the Fireflies. And with Howl's Moving Castle, you can easily compare and contrast the film with the original novella.

If you find people willing to try a TV/OAV series, then I think it's best to find one with a decent conclusion. I know some action fans would enjoy Black Lagoon, though I'm not sure how it ends. Likewise, some people who like serious suspense videos might like Kaiji, especially if there's an ending. As for other stuff, people who like shows about politics and economies may enjoy Eden of the East. I think some bronies might enjoy Squid Girl.

My first series was Slayers TV, which was very relevant to my interests, since I was already into fantasy fiction at the time. Since then, I've helped people discover series that they might otherwise have never noticed, by lending them media from Cardcaptor Sakura all the way to Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President.

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 24 September 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

...Hey do you think Hetalia would be a bad choice?

Hetalia is a very divisive show. It is probably best appreciated by people who like tasteless/offensive comedies.

#16 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

@dorkatlarge: Hey I take offense because I happen to like the manga. Just because the fandom is generalized in an ignorant fashion doesn't mean that the show itself is bad. Yes it has stereotypes but what anime doesn't? G gundam was a lot worse but people let it go over their heads because it wasn't popular in America, (I happen to enjoy the anime regardless.) I learned more about Slavic nations from Hetalia than from all 18 years of high school. The comic does teach history but hints for you to do more research.

Major, I say go ahead but tell them what kind of show it is beforehand. Some people are really touchy.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#17 User is offline   Griffith 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60430

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

Dorkatlarge, Fujoshi
Posted Image
Hetalia seems like an ok show to watch with or without all the fandom, although it doesn't appeal to me.
But I feel like it is something to introduce once a person really develops an interest in anime.
The show just seems like it catches too specific of an audience or being something different of an anime like Elfen Lied, something that must be weighed before being used as an introduction.

On a side note, G Gundam was stereotypical but how can you represent a countries robot if it looks like a normal robot?

This post has been edited by Griffith: 24 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

#18 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:53 AM

I think Hetalia is a little too quirky for an introductory anime. Not to mention there's a lot of jokes that go over peoples head due to their lack of historical knowledge, it is popular but mostly with females for its Boy Love Pairings.

There's an anime I want to mention that a lot of people dont seem to know about(even tho it was put on PSN/PS3Network) called Xam'd: Lost Memories. Its kind of like a mix from Eureka Seven and Princess Mononoke. It has action, drama, romance, so comedy. The story very slowly builds up complexity so its easy to follow yet is not too plain.

I showed it to my cousin and she loved it even tho she is not into anime, she ended up watching the whole thing.

Xam'd: Lost Memories Trailer
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

#19 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

@Griffith: Remember Canada and Zulu Gundam? Oh man we laughed for a minute when I was younger, (high school.) And why did China have so many representations Gundams and the 'Rain scene,' that we thought was so perverted, etc. Gundam talk was serious business, except for SEED. We were in college and it wasn't appealing as Gundam with Char..,whoops off tagnent.

I didn't mean Hetalia as a starter; I meant as an anime to be shown later on but PS3 cap. ==,

Keans thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out. I read more manga so I'm always looking to broaden my anime experience.

I know a lot of people are bias about Hetalia, but never watched it or enough for a non linear opinion, due to the 'questionable fandom,' as well as how it seems to go for fujoshi girl, (Not me so much.) and 'how dare they make my country's people this!' Funny they never go into details which stereotype offend them.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#20 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 24 September 2011 - 09:18 PM, said:

I've been hoping to give a couple friends a good introduction to anime/manga. I've been trying to think about what they already enjoy, and find a relatively short feature film or OAV series that would be a good fit.

Thinking about recent movies, I'd second Keane's recommendation of Summer Wars. Why?

* It's not too long
* Not a barely disguised toy commercial
* Not based on a long running franchise
* Characters of varied ages
* Few if any fanservice/moe/harem elements
* No extreme violence
* Relatively good optional dubbed dialogue

That's why I think it would appeal to a wide variety of people. Aside from that, there's always classics like Castle in the Sky (despite the many instances of men with pink pants) and Grave of the Fireflies. And with Howl's Moving Castle, you can easily compare and contrast the film with the original novella.

If you find people willing to try a TV/OAV series, then I think it's best to find one with a decent conclusion. I know some action fans would enjoy Black Lagoon, though I'm not sure how it ends. Likewise, some people who like serious suspense videos might like Kaiji, especially if there's an ending. As for other stuff, people who like shows about politics and economies may enjoy Eden of the East. I think some bronies might enjoy Squid Girl.

My first series was Slayers TV, which was very relevant to my interests, since I was already into fantasy fiction at the time. Since then, I've helped people discover series that they might otherwise have never noticed, by lending them media from Cardcaptor Sakura all the way to Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President.

Hetalia is a very divisive show. It is probably best appreciated by people who like tasteless/offensive comedies.

I was thinking about Eden of the East since it's political and isn't super Japanese like. Yeah I think Hetalia might be better for later now that everyone has said things I didn't think about when considering it. :)

View PostGriffith, on 24 September 2011 - 11:28 PM, said:

Dorkatlarge, Fujoshi
Posted Image
Hetalia seems like an ok show to watch with or without all the fandom, although it doesn't appeal to me.
But I feel like it is something to introduce once a person really develops an interest in anime.
The show just seems like it catches too specific of an audience or being something different of an anime like Elfen Lied, something that must be weighed before being used as an introduction.

On a side note, G Gundam was stereotypical but how can you represent a countries robot if it looks like a normal robot?

See I was thinking Elfen Lied too with the romance, but I'm kind of afraid I might scare my friends into thinking that most animes have bare boobies in them, lol. And I know one of my friends is sensitive to violence so Im not sure ripping heads off would be good first lol. ^^

#21 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

When I introduced my younger sister into anime, I started her off with Ouran, D.N.Angel, and Petie Princess Yucie, but when I showed her Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D it wasn't her cup of tea, although oddly enough she enjoyed High School of the Dead. Currently I've been helping her in the manga section.

#22 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

Honestly, find something you think they would like. Yes, Cowboy Bebop is typically a good gateway anime, but if they're not into stuff like that, it won't catch. So I would say the first question to ask is, what are their interests? What are some TV shows they like? Are there any anime that are similar in nature?
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#23 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 25 September 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

Honestly, find something you think they would like. Yes, Cowboy Bebop is typically a good gateway anime, but if they're not into stuff like that, it won't catch. So I would say the first question to ask is, what are their interests? What are some TV shows they like? Are there any anime that are similar in nature?

They are 100% girly girls. They like the whole modern rap/hip hop, Jersey Shore, Glee, Law and Order SVU (not saying its girly its just what they like) and related TV shows. They like to dance as well. They are girly which is fine but I'm just having a hard time to find them an anime that would match with those interests. I've had a hard time trying to find an anime like Jersey Shore, lol!

#24 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

GITS SAC Motoko: Hey you know how I am :lol:

Besides the ones I suggested I can't think of a really shoujo manga/anime that would appeal to non anime fans off the bat >_< (Like Glee lol.)
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#25 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 26 September 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

GITS SAC Motoko: Hey you know how I am :lol:

Besides the ones I suggested I can't think of a really shoujo manga/anime that would appeal to non anime fans off the bat >_< (Like Glee lol.)

hahahahaha! :)

Do you maybe think Fushigi Yuugi? It's very romantic but also has the cute "go back into history thing?" I just thought of that now.

#26 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Aww... That sounds like they enjoy a LOT of drama... and not of the good kind. I'm not really into those types of series, but look into series with Drama and Slice of Life and you might find some good suggestions.

Nana - Its Very popular among girls, plenty of drama... I think.(never actually seen it myself)
Komatsu Nana moves to Tokyo, following after her boyfriend Shouji to gain a life she has always dreamed of. On a train bound for Tokyo, she meets Osaki Nana, the vocalist for the punk rock band "Blast", also moving to Tokyo to achieve her dreams of becoming a professional. Sharing the same name, the two of them perhaps through a twist of fate, ended up becoming flat mates in Tokyo, where together they support each other through each of their love lives and careers.

Nana Anime Preview/Review Video

K-ON! - Music Related High School Comedic Drama
Hirasawa Yui, a young, carefree girl entering high school, has her imagination instantly captured when she sees a poster advertising the ‘Light Music Club’. Being the carefree girl that she is, she quickly signs up. However, Yui has a problem, she is unable to play an instrument.

When Yui goes to the clubroom to explain, she's greeted by the other members: Ritsu, Mio and Tsumugi. Although disheartened at Yui’s lack of musical know-how, they still try to convince her to stay to prevent the club’s disbandment. After playing Yui a short piece which re-ignites her imagination, they succeed in keeping their new member and guitarist.

Along with the tasks of school and homework, Yui begins to learn the guitar with the help of the other band members, experiencing many mishaps along the way. However, with the school-festival drawing near and Yui getting stuck with her practice, will the Light Music Club be ready in time for their debut?

K-ON! Dub Trailer

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai(Ano Hana for short) - A ghost tries to bring back together old friends, LOTS of drama.
A group of childhood friends drifts apart after one of them, Meiko "Menma" Honma, dies in an accident. Years later, the leader of the group, Jinta Yadomi, has become withdrawn and lives as a recluse. An older Meiko appears to him, and says that she must have a wish granted, though she does not know what it is.

Ano Hana AMV <- Yes they actually cry that much, but by the end of the anime u will be crying with them.

Thats all I can think off so far, i wished they had mention something like House M.D or something cause then i could have said Black Jack 21. xP

This post has been edited by Keans: 26 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

#27 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

View PostKeans, on 26 September 2011 - 02:56 PM, said:

Aww... That sounds like they enjoy a LOT of drama... and not of the good kind. I'm not really into those types of series, but look into series with Drama and Slice of Life and you might find some good suggestions.

Nana - Its Very popular among girls, plenty of drama... I think.(never actually seen it myself)
Komatsu Nana moves to Tokyo, following after her boyfriend Shouji to gain a life she has always dreamed of. On a train bound for Tokyo, she meets Osaki Nana, the vocalist for the punk rock band "Blast", also moving to Tokyo to achieve her dreams of becoming a professional. Sharing the same name, the two of them perhaps through a twist of fate, ended up becoming flat mates in Tokyo, where together they support each other through each of their love lives and careers.

Nana Anime Preview/Review Video

K-ON! - Music Related High School Comedic Drama
Hirasawa Yui, a young, carefree girl entering high school, has her imagination instantly captured when she sees a poster advertising the ‘Light Music Club’. Being the carefree girl that she is, she quickly signs up. However, Yui has a problem, she is unable to play an instrument.

When Yui goes to the clubroom to explain, she's greeted by the other members: Ritsu, Mio and Tsumugi. Although disheartened at Yui’s lack of musical know-how, they still try to convince her to stay to prevent the club’s disbandment. After playing Yui a short piece which re-ignites her imagination, they succeed in keeping their new member and guitarist.

Along with the tasks of school and homework, Yui begins to learn the guitar with the help of the other band members, experiencing many mishaps along the way. However, with the school-festival drawing near and Yui getting stuck with her practice, will the Light Music Club be ready in time for their debut?

K-ON! Dub Trailer

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai(Ano Hana for short) - A ghost tries to bring back together old friends, LOTS of drama.
A group of childhood friends drifts apart after one of them, Meiko "Menma" Honma, dies in an accident. Years later, the leader of the group, Jinta Yadomi, has become withdrawn and lives as a recluse. An older Meiko appears to him, and says that she must have a wish granted, though she does not know what it is.

Ano Hana AMV <- Yes they actually cry that much, but by the end of the anime u will be crying with them.

Thats all I can think off so far, i wished they had mention something like House M.D or something cause then i could have said Black Jack 21. xP

OMG thanks so much for the links and descriptions. That really helps and these animes seem really good that would fit to their tastes. I haven't seen NANA yet so that's why I didn't think of it ( I didn't know much about it either) and I think they would really like that as well. These seem like shows that are like the ones they like so it would help them show that anime is really normal TV...just animated like in Japan...it's not just "cartoons." And my one friend Does like House so Black Jack might work as well. ^_^ Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, if you think of anymore I would love to hear. I think giving my friends more variety would really help. ^_^

#28 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

A decent... no GREAT slice of life (in my opinion) is Usagi Drop

Usagi Drop preview

To sum it up, it opens with Daikichi returning home for his grandfather's funeral. Daikichi meets a shy six-year old, Rin, who turns out to be his grandfather's illegitimate daughter. None of the family wants to take care of Rin, so Daikichi decides to take care of her despite his family's objections. The anime follows all the various events from Daikichi franticly registering Rin for nursery school to her getting sick to losing two of her baby teeth.

Over the course of the 11 episodes, it does an amazing job of character development without feeling rushed. The growing relationship between Daikichi & Rin fells very realistic. It also does an excellent job of showing Daikichi growing as a person. He goes from being a single 30yr old who is a hard worker yet rather irresponsible around home, to being a very dependable & reliable father figure.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#29 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostKitsu-chan, on 26 September 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

A decent... no GREAT slice of life (in my opinion) is Usagi Drop

Usagi Drop preview

To sum it up, it opens with Daikichi returning home for his grandfather's funeral. Daikichi meets a shy six-year old, Rin, who turns out to be his grandfather's illegitimate daughter. None of the family wants to take care of Rin, so Daikichi decides to take care of her despite his family's objections. The anime follows all the various events from Daikichi franticly registering Rin for nursery school to her getting sick to losing two of her baby teeth.

Over the course of the 11 episodes, it does an amazing job of character development without feeling rushed. The growing relationship between Daikichi & Rin fells very realistic. It also does an excellent job of showing Daikichi growing as a person. He goes from being a single 30yr old who is a hard worker yet rather irresponsible around home, to being a very dependable & reliable father figure.

Aw! This looks ADORABLE. I know one of my roomies would love this since she looooves children (hence why she's' going into education! ^_^) This would also be a great one to choose for them. I'm thinking that more Slice of Life/Drama animes would pertain to their interests more since they're not really into sci-fi or not ready for it lol. Same with the intense Japanese humor like in Lucky Star or something. Thanks for the suggestion. ^_^

#30 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 26 September 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

They are 100% girly girls. They like the whole modern rap/hip hop, Jersey Shore, Glee, Law and Order SVU (not saying its girly its just what they like) and related TV shows. They like to dance as well. They are girly which is fine but I'm just having a hard time to find them an anime that would match with those interests. I've had a hard time trying to find an anime like Jersey Shore, lol!

Jersey Shore. *sighs*

That show kills braincells I swear. lol I don't see the point of watching it. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users