Anime Central Forums: New Facebook Changes - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New Facebook Changes Here We Go Again!

Poll: New Facebook (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you guys think of the new Facebook ?

1. I like it. Change is good! (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. I hate it. If it aint broke, dont fix it. (16 votes [84.21%])

Percentage of vote: 84.21%

3. Not sure. Need time to adjust. (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote

#1 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

So im sure you guys woke up yesterday to check your facebook status when you noticed a live news feed on the right side of your profile. I was confused as heck when I didnt know what it was. I thought there was a feature where I could go on there and get rid of it. But nope, im stuck with it unless I use a chrome or firefox app to get rid of it. No need for it now because they are changing the whole FB page by making it a "timeline" of your life. According to the Times Of India

The timeline is reminiscent of an online scrapbook, with the most important photos and text that users have shared on Facebook over the years. It's Facebook's attempt at growing from an online hangout to a homestead, where people express their real selves and merge their online and offline lives. The timeline can go back to include years before Facebook even existed, so users can add photos and events from, say 1995 when they got married or 1970 when they were born.

It also captures the maturation of Facebook and its users, who have gone from keeping up with friends to keeping with friends' kids.Im all for change but this is a tad too much. Im trying to keep up with the !@#$ ticker as it is and I really dont want my life to be compiled into a huge timeline. But then again I say that now and in 6 months from now ill be on FB. I do have Google+ so I do have that option. My FB iPhone is much like the old FB so I may use that instead of the new one. So what do you guys think of the FB changes?

http://www.sltrib.co...riends.html.csp
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#2 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

I hate it. I mentioned that in my status. It's annoying. Google+ better not do this or I'm leaving the internet.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#3 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Everything was fine and I had just adjusted to the new stuff and they changed it. All my friends' statuses were "how do you log off" lol. It just seems weird to me now. I'm thinking about doing Google+ as my main thing. I just dont know yet. I would really like an option to choose classic or new facebook. That would be nice.

Im for changing and updating too but messing up something that was fine and complicating things is just silly to me.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#4 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 30009

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

If it works, and works well. Why the heck would you try to "fix" it? This is getting really annoying with Facebook. Bring back the days of only select College Students please! =(
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#5 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Oh, I still miss those days sometimes >_> Was much easier to manage back then, that's for sure.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the new layout. I agree with others here; it certainly didn't seem broke, so I can't see why they felt the need to do a Tim-The-Tool-Man-Taylor and attempt to fix whatever the heck it was they thought needed fixing/"improving."

I mainly stay on FB because that's how I keep in touch with the majority of my friends/relatives. (IRT notwithstanding.) Thus, I'm not about to zoom over to Google+ just yet, and I'll tolerate FB and their silly OCD with "fixing" itself periodically.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#6 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

I'm going to delete my Facebook in the near future, within 12 months.

I'll either leave social networking for good or try Google+, at least until G+ inevitably goes down the drain. Facebook keeps breaking and breaking what was once good.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#7 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

Facebook: If it's not broken, let's break it and try to fix it!

Seriously they do this way too often. I know there were a lot of people praising Google+ but I personally preferred Facebook more during the whole period. Maybe I'll adjust to the changes, but right now I really dislike them. Are they trying to get people to switch to Twitter or G+?
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#8 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

I don't have a live feed on the right >_>;;;
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#9 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:53 AM

it only seems invasive. For right now all I can see is everything you every waking moment on Facebook and what your friends and family do even though I don't know who they are like for instance Excel and her sister
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#10 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

View PostMillions_Knives, on 23 September 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

it only seems invasive. For right now all I can see is everything you every waking moment on Facebook and what your friends and family do even though I don't know who they are like for instance Excel and her sister

Stalker! :P

But in all seriousness that sidebar is creepy. Almost to the point where I can stalk other people without them knowing it. The nice think about google plus is the circles. I can drag people in a certain circle and I can choose who I want to tell my personal thoughts to without everyone knowing but a select few. But if you do want to get rid of the sidebar on facebook

http://reston.patch....o-hide-the-feed

The new facebook goes into effect September 30th. Be in for a huge surprise.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#11 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!

I dont see why they felt the need to change it. It was fine the way it was. Its almost to the point where I dont even want to use it anymore because its just becoming so complicated and ridiculous. I wish we had the option of having the different changes or not. I think it would make things better rather than forcing these changes upon everyone.

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#12 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

I don't see why people hate it so much.

I just hate the livefeed stuff. Stalkerfeed all day.

And google+ is boring as all get out right now.

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 23 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#13 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

I thank every invisible sky god possible that a. I use firefox. b. I use adblock. and c. I read lifehacker.

Got rid of the livefeed within a day. :3
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#14 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

For those that have Firefox and the AdBlock plus app try this...

Click on the ABP on firefox, choose "preferences," then choose "add filter" and put this in...

facebook.com###pagelet_rhc_ticker

No more news crawl!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#15 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

Yeah.... not sure why they added a Twitter-like (real time) status update... thing. Its just too much information with no built-in way to make it stop.

What I think is even more creepy though is the "timeline profile."
Facebook's description is here: https://www.facebook.../about/timeline
Breakdown of the new profile is here: http://www.pcmag.com...bid=XspOYYUW5w3

One of my friends signed up for the beta and its just plain bizarre. There are status update template thingies that are your life "achievements." (You broke a bone? Achievement unlocked!)

I don't need (or want) people seeing my whole life story. If they want to know that bad, they could, you know... just ask me.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#16 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostRori, on 24 September 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

I don't need (or want) people seeing my whole life story. If they want to know that bad, they could, you know... just ask me.

My problem with the social network is that while on the outside it seems to be bringing us together in mind-boggling ways, we are actually disconnected in deeper levels.

Birthday party? Nice pics!

Trip to Canada? Nice pics!

Convention? Nice pics!

-b Oblivious Idiot likes this.

You see, I feel our communication has been shortened to a small button with a thumbs up to show our approval. Nothing more, and nothing less. Actually talking to someone, even wishing them a happy birthday is bass ackwards now.

I should know, as I have 114 Facebook friends and only 5 wished me a happy birthday. Facebook used to be about the here and now and the future, but now I feel it's focusing more on the past, which makes me feel bad. When the time comes I won't regret deleting it, especially knowing what I know now.

#17 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

I never had the facebookception right bar thingy. I don't know why I was spared lol.
But it's pretty annoying that the people I actually care for's statuses are buried under everything. Facebook shouldn't decide who is more interesting to me. :/

Google+!! Here I come!!!
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#18 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

I don't pay attention to the live feed thing, I minimize it as much as I can. No biggie. I just don't like that everyone can see what you commented on your friend's page.
ACen Mascot Artist

#19 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Seriously, can someone explain to me the point of google+? It's so dry (I know it's still new, but still)

This entire situation reminds me of the presidental elections from Bush to Obama. "Bush/Obama won? I'm moving to Canada!"

Now switch Bush/Obama with fb changes and Canada with Google+
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#20 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Facebook has made numerous changes before, and people complained about them. The main difference this time, there's Google Plus which open its doors about a week ago. So, finally, Facebook actually has a major competitor to its niche; and I'm assuming FB feels somewhat threatened by it.

And yea, if Facebook ends up really sucking, good-bye FB. Hello Google+. For now, I use both. Google+ is still weaker by terms of membership numbers. Ultimately, that will change.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#21 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

Facebook is dying out, just like Myspace.
I can't say I'm too heartbroken.

While I enjoy keeping in touch with people who don't have my number, live in another country, or who I can only take in small virtual doses, it's starting to get pretty creepy.
And sometimes.....
I find myself being creepy.
Because it's so easy.

Facebook also makes it easier for me to hate people.
A lot easier.
Statuses about how they'll be alone forever, about their cosplay progress (every five seconds and let's be real, we all know it's going to be awful anyway), about how they're drunk again....seriously.
Maybe Facebook was always this way or maybe it just slowly grated on my nerves.
I don't know.

And the changes? Not so bad, but the privacy settings are all jacked up and they added rewards to "Words With Friends" (aka Scrabble) that drive me nuts and now I can see everyone's everything at all times and it's horrifying and horrible. Also, I miss messages that aren't IMs. Also, why did it change my mobile alerts? I have it set to messages and status comments only and now I get a text every time someone comments on my anything or does anything remotely related to me.

Going to wait until FB dies down a little more, shell out my email address and IM s/n to those I want to keep in touch with, and then deleting my profile.
I will not switch to Google+.
I will not start using my tumblr.
I will not go back to using myspace.

I am tired and bored of social networking.

And a little scared. ;]

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#22 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

View PostKii, on 29 September 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

I am tired and bored of social networking.

You shall receive an Amen.

Everything you said was the truth. The few friends I keep in contact with already talk with me on a regular basis, and everyone else has life get in the way apparently. It'll make it easier to move forward in life.

Don't quote me for certain but I think that this whole craze has been going through phases. It gets popular, then it declines, then something takes it's place. It's like the empires of the past; nothing lasts forever...

#23 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

The ticker thingy does not actually bug me as much as the new screwed up way they post "stories" . It is just nonsensical. New things should be up, old things should be down. Now new things are in the middle is and random bulls**t is at the top?
I'm not really sure if Google plus will be much of a replacement. Several social networks were considered "myspace killers" before facebook really took over. For all anyone knows, something else could pop up between now and facebook death.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#24 User is offline   LC Asuka 

• Main Events ADH
  • Pip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 17129

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

I joined facebook in the second group of invite-only colleges waaaay back in 2003. I starting hating facebook when high school students were allowed to join as well...it turned into Myspace 2.0 after that (no offense).

With this new addition, my opinion of facebook has degraded even further. Thus, I'm debating finally deactivating and eventually deleting my profile.

Main Programming Assistant Manager ~ 2014
Main Programming Staff
~ 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
2014 Cosplay ~ Third Doctor, Magishine/Solaris Knight
I've reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users