Anime Central Forums: Disgaea 4 - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disgaea 4 For the love of Sardines!

#1 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,331
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

The time eater and leveling monster that is Disgaea 4 is finally out.

So far, and as expected, I have sunk quite a few hours into it already. Overall, I find it fairly enjoyable though I do have a number of things to point out that irk me.

• Lord Val's english track. While I don't mind the dub what I do get annoyed about is the volume of his voice. I swear, some times when he speaks you can barely hear him at all. Something is weird with the volume of his vocal track.

• Item World maps, from what I have experienced so far, tend to be small in general area. Also, I encountered a map where there was an invincible tile right next to the only spot accessible from the base. So...I couldn't pick them up, I couldn't kill them, and they wouldn't move. Thank goodness I had a gency available. Gonna have to make a moth to escape those situations in the future.

One feature I did think was neat was the foreign ministry. I'll probably think less of it when someone else's character shows up at one of my votes and says "nay".

Have yet to create a map.

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

I haven't played Disgaea except for the DS port. They were sooooo expensive like the SMT games. (60 used at GS at the lowest.)

Is this better than the previous ones? Do you need to play the previous ones to get the story? If its for PS3, can't remember, then I'll check it out.

I'll never finish all these games. I have like twenty rpgs and buying P2P and HM.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,331
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 06 September 2011 - 04:55 PM, said:

I haven't played Disgaea except for the DS port. They were sooooo expensive like the SMT games. (60 used at GS at the lowest.)

Is this better than the previous ones? Do you need to play the previous ones to get the story? If its for PS3, can't remember, then I'll check it out.

I'll never finish all these games. I have like twenty rpgs and buying P2P and HM.


Is it better than the previous ones? Well, so far I find that I like it better than the previous incarnation on the PS3 (Disgaea 3) but at this point, I'm not sure if the cast of characters is that strong or endearing. Time will tell on that one.

The story, like the others in the series, fundamentally aren't connected where you need to play the previous to get the main story. However, with Disgaea there are always extras that find a way to connect it with the previous titles. Most of these connections are based on the characters themselves as Disgaea is a game heavy on cameos.

And yes, it's on the PS3. I've seen D3 between $10-$20 at times which is a pretty good deal.

This post has been edited by rondo: 07 September 2011 - 08:02 AM


#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

Awesome! Since I like PB, I'll check this out...after HM....and SMT DS. *Grimance* Why are games so high...

*Shakes head* Is the main a megane this time than a devil prince? Must confirm!
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   excel excel 

  • Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495
  • Posts: 8,692
  • Joined: 25-January 04
  • Location:from the fires of Mt. Doom!

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

That reminds me I have to get back into playing D4 on my PS3. Its just a lot of work though trying to lvevel up your army, put them through class, getting new weapons and crazy combos. I like it more than FFT for the PS1. Its a lot of fun.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#6 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,331
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

I had just got my DLC code for Flonne when suddenly...YLOD. Oh the humanity.

#7 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

View Postrondo, on 08 September 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

I had just got my DLC code for Flonne when suddenly...YLOD. Oh the humanity.


Is it possible that you can still get the LE from the company site or Amazon? I really want that code.

The idea of a Vampire MC is kinda hot.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#8 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,331
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 12 September 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

Is it possible that you can still get the LE from the company site or Amazon? I really want that code.

The idea of a Vampire MC is kinda hot.


I can't check it from where I am atm, but last I heard NIS was trying to restock the LE.

#9 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

Ok I found out that Amazon still has the LE versions. :)

Also Bradygames makes the worse guides ever.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#10 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,331
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 30 September 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ok I found out that Amazon still has the LE versions. :)

Also Bradygames makes the worse guides ever.


Actually saw a couple of LE's in Chicago the other day. And yes, that bradygames guide is epic crap. The typos alone drive me nuts.

#11 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

Halfway through my second Cycle.

Valvatorez is a beast to be reckoned with once you get his final unique Evility equipped and it makes him a killer and gain levels fairly quickly because of it.

I am finding myself relying on a strong mage less than in previous versions of Disgaea, but 2nd cycle my mage grew strong enough after a reincarnation to become a lot more useful.

The only Monster type I use is Desco and a Beast Master to boost Desco to even more disgustingly powerful status. I used to use a Gargoyle but he sits in my roster now mostly like the stone statue he is.

Make a strong team of humanoid characters and put in the effort to level that Healer. While the Angel is nice to have due to her being a unique character, her healing arts aren't anywhere near the strength of a fully realized Healer, not to mention bow skills ftw on that Cleric.

Also finding Magic Knight to be fairly useful on the field in the first half the game. Improved upon yes, but the attempted balance of melee and magic does leave her weak later in the game when specialists overshadow her.

Invest in a thief if you haven't. Thieves are useful, especially at high levels with good shoes equipped. They can cover half if not an entire map eventually and are great for getting to Geoblocks and other important items on the field.

The pirate editing function is fairly innovative and fun. I made my own pirates already and uploaded them to the PSN for them to appear in other people's game.

The map editor drives me nuts and I don't like it one bit. Probably never going to use it again.

My thoughts on Disgaea 4. As with all of them to me, I love them all ( except 3 ) and they are all great. The user interface gets more innovative and easy to use as newer games come out while still keeping the feel of the original in it. I like this series and look forward to Disgaea X ( X being random number ).
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#12 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,331
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 06 November 2011 - 05:50 AM, said:

Halfway through my second Cycle.

Valvatorez is a beast to be reckoned with once you get his final unique Evility equipped and it makes him a killer and gain levels fairly quickly because of it.

I am finding myself relying on a strong mage less than in previous versions of Disgaea, but 2nd cycle my mage grew strong enough after a reincarnation to become a lot more useful.

The only Monster type I use is Desco and a Beast Master to boost Desco to even more disgustingly powerful status. I used to use a Gargoyle but he sits in my roster now mostly like the stone statue he is.

Make a strong team of humanoid characters and put in the effort to level that Healer. While the Angel is nice to have due to her being a unique character, her healing arts aren't anywhere near the strength of a fully realized Healer, not to mention bow skills ftw on that Cleric.

Also finding Magic Knight to be fairly useful on the field in the first half the game. Improved upon yes, but the attempted balance of melee and magic does leave her weak later in the game when specialists overshadow her.

Invest in a thief if you haven't. Thieves are useful, especially at high levels with good shoes equipped. They can cover half if not an entire map eventually and are great for getting to Geoblocks and other important items on the field.

The pirate editing function is fairly innovative and fun. I made my own pirates already and uploaded them to the PSN for them to appear in other people's game.

The map editor drives me nuts and I don't like it one bit. Probably never going to use it again.

My thoughts on Disgaea 4. As with all of them to me, I love them all ( except 3 ) and they are all great. The user interface gets more innovative and easy to use as newer games come out while still keeping the feel of the original in it. I like this series and look forward to Disgaea X ( X being random number ).


Thx for the info. Looking forward to the DLC chapter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users