Anime Central Forums: Print Preferences -- which do you like? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Print Preferences -- which do you like?

Poll: Print Preferences -- which do you like? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Which type of print paper do you prefer?

1. A matte print (not shiny) (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. A glossy print (shiny) (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Doesn't really matter to me (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote

#1 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

New: 11/22/11

Thanks for all the comments with the paper, everyone! It sounds like I'll be doing a matte finish. Now I have another question about the presentation. I'm planning to get them printed atl ike Officemax or something so the color is nice and bright. But I'm trying to figure out how to present them at ACEN. I've read somewhere that people put prints in clear bags, but I cannot find these for the life of me. Does anyone know where I might find some? Also, I don't plan on mounting the prints or anything (because cost would get way too high for the average con-goer) but should there be a sheet of cardboard or something behind the print so it doesn't get bent? Or is that not normally too big of a concern? (I'm natrually clumsy so things tend to get destroyed around me).

Thanks for all your help!

Hey everyone,
At this rate I'm going to take over this thread. Whoops.
I've been doing research on print prices and have just started to realize all the options.
I had planned on printing all of my prints on a glossy photo paper, but am debating if matte would be a better option.
So, as either buyers or sellers, which do you prefer and why?

Also, which size prints do you prefer to buy? Most of mine are going to be 8.5x11, but are smaller prints well liked as well, due to cost?

Thanks much!

This post has been edited by IcyPanther: 22 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#2 User is offline   Lord Warhammer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11892

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

My vote is a matte. This way I can enjoy the picture in all amounts of sun light and not have to worry about light reflections.
Artist Alley Assistant Department Head!
myspace, facebook, youtube, and photobucket links are on my about me page.
ACEN cosplays.. time to plan plan plan.

I go to and staff many cons. Let's have a blast!

#3 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Personal thought:

Depends on the subject matter a bit. Some things look better in a glossy (think movie posters) where some things look better in matte (portraits). If you can swing it try some test prints on both (or more) types of paper and see which one "feels" best.

Same goes for size in a way. Large "action" scenes or "crowd shots" (multiple subjects etc) may demand larger paper to catch detail or "feeling." On the other hand small size prints might be good for single subjects where you might think of it as a photo on your desk (and some people may like a small "photo" sized print so they *can* put it on their desk at work or the like. Not everyone needs to cover that big hole in the wall from that last party... (although some of us *might*....)
This space intentionally left blank.

#4 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

As a buyer, for me personally I generally prefer matte, but if I guess I can't say that it being glossy would be a deal breaker if I really like the picture. And I very much appreciate when smaller prints are available. Sometimes I'll buy a larger print, but usually I like a small postcard sized one to display on my bookshelf or desk (I only have so much wall space, after all).
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

#5 User is offline   MBluesummers 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3768

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

I am a big fan of matte prints. Personally I think they look better and I just always have thought that if the buyer puts it in a sheet or frame, there really is no need to have it glossy and shiny.

#6 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61094

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

As an artist and as a buyer, I'm personally a fan of matte as opposed to glossy. If it's glossy, I'm almost afraid to touch it...my greasy marker covered fingers might destroy it ^^;
Nerdy Art: Music to the Eyes

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#7 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

I prefer matte as well. If I'm going to put it behind glass it'll look funny. Also, as someone else pointed out it works better in different types of sunlight.
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#8 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! There's a new question up there now, if you have a moment to answer!
I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#9 User is offline   BrokenRemnantStudios 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61094

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hey Icy!

I guess it depends on how many prints you're displaying. I've seen a lot of people who simply have binders with their prints in it. I've also seen people put them in said clear bags and tape them to their grid set up. I myself have had a lot of people ask if I had a binder, which I didn't at the time but probably will have this year.

As to the sheet protectors, you can find them in a lot of office supply stores. Those found at an office supply store usually have pre-punched holes so that you can put your prints in a binder. If you're looking for ones WITHOUT the holes, check the container store, or simply doing a search for document protectors, or clear document bags or something along those lines :)
Nerdy Art: Music to the Eyes

Our Website
Our deviantArt

#10 User is offline   Maurizio 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61236

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I'm a bit late to this party, but for sheets-- uline.com is where I go to get my bags-- http://www.uline.com...e%20poly%20bags (will take you directly to the page).

If you want backing board for your prints, I suggest ClearBags -- http://www.clearbags...ard/4-ply-white

Those places have just about the best prices you're going to get for the items and quantity you want. I use them exclusively and couldn't recommend anything better. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users