Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:45 PM
A good chunk of my greatest dislikes growing up stemmed from watching scary movies as a child. Apparently my parents thought I'd learn a lesson from watching them or something. Yeah...I turned out to be Pathetic as a result.
So, here are the movies that caused those creepouts, and what they were. Mind you, I've more or less grown out of all of these, with just a strong dislike for a select few now.
1) Poltergeist: Thunderstorms, open closets at night. It wasn't until I was in high school when I finally got over these completely. No matter where I was, if the bedroom I was in had a closet, it had to be firmly shut. Thunderstorms - especially when there were trees outside the bedroom window - were godawful. I didn't get over storms until I started my first job working at Great America (in the Camp Cartoon Network section), when a nice storm hit and I had prolly the least amount of "shelter." I could prolly watch Poltergeist all the way through now...except I'm pretty sure I'll still cover my eyes during the special bathroom scene.
2) The Gate: Sleeping with my hands exposed. This movie is horrible, but it had me absolutely terrified that one night, the big bad demon would crash in through the floor and stick an eye on one or both of my hands. I didn't get past this until I was in my teens.
3) Arachnophobia: Speaks for itself. I couldn't stand spiders for YEARS after this. Nowadays, I'm tolerant of them...but only if they're well outside of my smacking range, and as long as they don't sneak up on me. I daresay this movie was responsible for me hating any insect with 8 or more legs, too - I still hate centipedes and millipedes with a fiery passion.
4) Dolls: Porcelain and clown dolls. Another bad movie, but still left a strong impression. I still don't care for porcelain dolls, and I definitely don't like clown dolls. (You'd think Poltergeist would have been the source of the latter, but I never got that far in the movie until several years ago.)
5) Saw III: The Rack scene. I saw this movie when it came out. By this time, it usually took a lot to scare me/gross me out with movies. This scene, though, had me clutching my big soda cup like a stuffed animal, and I didn't ease my grasp until we got home much later. Yeah.
6) Silent Hill (games and movie): Tornado sirens. I'd be appropriately spooked by these even before seeing SH in any of its incarnations. But after watching them, I can't hear the sirens the same way. It's even worse when (as happened last year) a storm cell caused all four of my town's sirens to go off at the same time. And wouldn't you know it, my apartment is almost right in the middle of the area, so there's no way I'm not hearing that. B(
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff - Shameless Promoter of All Things Cute, Fluffy and Shiny
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative - Cute, Fluffy, and Squeals When Hugged
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch - Metatron and Kraken Wrangler