Anime Central Forums: My Little Pony: Friendship is magic meetup 2012 - Anime Central Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

My Little Pony: Friendship is magic meetup 2012 Bronies and MLP fans unite!

#421 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

just for pointers, if you do have a own photoshoot, stay the frak away from chicago for now, with the nato summit going on and the town petty mush prepareing for a repeat of 1968 demacrat convation, i am sure people dress up as ponies will have police come, and you know some douchy prik will call you guys in just becuase your bronies.

as for Kasumisty post, i think the root of the issue is the hijacker, and the fact he brought it inside, if it outside then no one will care about the noises or the stuff that pinkie pie was throwing. it wouldn't be a big deal, the groping of that one cosplayer is a big deal no matter if it ponies or cosplayers of killer klons from outter space.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#422 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9285

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 May 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

Keitaro, why not just wait for Midwestria?

Yeah I'm thinking that's my best option at the moment. So i'll work on that facebook group and get everyone in it from here.
And here it is :)
https://www.facebook...79745135453121/
I only added a few people but if you know anyone that was in the photoshoot please invite them in

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 02 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

If you wanna chat to me ;)
aim: keitaro849
msn: alan849@hotmail.com
yahoo: dejiko849
facebook: http://facebook.com/Dashy.of.harmony

#423 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

View Postkeitaro-849, on 01 May 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

@Kasumisty: IRT wasn't even there on Friday at the photoshoot, if they were sooooo many problems would've been prevented. Something I would like to do for next time is have someone in my group act as "crowd control" to keep down the noise levels and stop people from shouting rude comments.

Isn't there some staff running the video rooms though and checking badges to get in to those rooms? If the noise level was an issue to the point that it was disrupting the anime showings I'd expect they could intervene and/or call IRT?

View PostVisadin the insane, on 01 May 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

just for pointers, if you do have a own photoshoot, stay the frak away from chicago for now, with the nato summit going on and the town petty mush prepareing for a repeat of 1968 demacrat convation, i am sure people dress up as ponies will have police come

This is definitely a good point! I know personally I plan to stay far away from the downtown area while this is going on and that is probably a good idea in general.
Perhaps something like a picnic/photoshoot type thing at a park or forest preserve or something like that might be a good alternative? Maybe in the suburbs? Somewhere outdoors where people can spread out and be loud if they want but that is not a popular/crowded area where locals might complain.

View PostVisadin the insane, on 01 May 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

as for Kasumisty post, i think the root of the issue is the hijacker, and the fact he brought it inside, if it outside then no one will care about the noises or the stuff that pinkie pie was throwing. it wouldn't be a big deal, the groping of that one cosplayer is a big deal no matter if it ponies or cosplayers of killer klons from outter space.

Thanks for the info, I didn't see that about someone groping a cosplayer but I agree that is a big deal, that is just wrong! I don't know what happened there but I think that is definitely a situation where IRT needs to be called in if this is happening, especially since I know there were kids around/in that shoot! If they need to cancel a shoot for something like that, it's totally understandable but I don't think necessarily something that should result in cancelling of future shoots.

I figured the group was moved indoors due to the weather, I did not realize that someone actually had "hijacked" it until that was posted here. Several other groups were moved indoors for that reason. I know the Silent Hill group moved inside for the same reason since half the people had a lot of exposed skin and were freezing, but then we got interrupted when the evacuation happened so that kinda fell apart...

This post has been edited by Kasumisty: 02 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

#424 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostKasumisty, on 02 May 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Isn't there some staff running the video rooms though and checking badges to get in to those rooms? If the noise level was an issue to the point that it was disrupting the anime showings I'd expect they could intervene and/or call IRT?

This is definitely a good point! I know personally I plan to stay far away from the downtown area while this is going on and that is probably a good idea in general.
Perhaps something like a picnic/photoshoot type thing at a park or forest preserve or something like that might be a good alternative? Maybe in the suburbs? Somewhere outdoors where people can spread out and be loud if they want but that is not a popular/crowded area where locals might complain.

Thanks for the info, I didn't see that about someone groping a cosplayer but I agree that is a big deal, that is just wrong! I don't know what happened there but I think that is definitely a situation where IRT needs to be called in if this is happening, especially since I know there were kids around/in that shoot! If they need to cancel a shoot for something like that, it's totally understandable but I don't think necessarily something that should result in cancelling of future shoots.

I figured the group was moved indoors due to the weather, I did not realize that someone actually had "hijacked" it until that was posted here. Several other groups were moved indoors for that reason. I know the Silent Hill group moved inside for the same reason since half the people had a lot of exposed skin and were freezing, but then we got interrupted when the evacuation happened so that kinda fell apart...

Really not sure what to say on why IRT or video programming staff didn't come out of the doors and say "hey guys can you quiet down over there." Maybe in the video rooms they could hear us but not enough for them to come out and yell at us since its behind those big closed doors.

I do like the idea of going to a forest preserve though maybe we could take pictures there and pretend that we are in the Everfree Forest. :D
And we can be as crazy and loud as we want there I'm sure.

It sucked having to go out in the freezing cold but outside is the only place where we have enough space. I would like to point out that the dome was the only inside location approved for photoshoots that are inside at the time. its like we either have lots of space and end up freezing or we are gonna be in a tight space inside and not freeze but end up with difficulty providing enough room for a big crowd.

#425 User is offline   ROCphoto 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59024

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Postkeitaro-849, on 01 May 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

I like how ROCphoto's camera comes out so clean and clear in the pictures. what camera is he using?

here's some random shots from around the con if you want- http://nihilruinas.t...ost/22112363232

working with a D7000, though the more important factor is the lens, and of course your settings; you can buy the best camera in the world and still take terrible pictures with it. I had a 35mm 1.8G lens stuck to it all weekend, Shot most of my pictures around f/2.8-f/4, with ISO usually around 640 and shutter speed handled by the camera (with me watching and opening the aperture if it's too slow). There is no 'pro' way to do things and nobody should be pressured into shooting ~full auto~ because that's "the best", use automated settings when time and preparation are second to the scene.

I've always wanted to host a con photo class or something, every panel I've been to that claims to be that ends up being a popular con photographer talking about how awesome and priveledged they are, and not explaining anything on how to actually do what they do.

if you guys want to set up a meetup north of chicago, a good person to talk with is "SoulCrash" Ron Ladao, one of the well known local photogs. He's pretty cool and organized a general con-goer meetup in gurnee last year

This post has been edited by ROCphoto: 02 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

#426 User is offline   CorbeauKarasu 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10405

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostKasumisty, on 02 May 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Yeah, it was the weather, wasn't it? I mean, even if it hadn't been the weather, it was way too cold to stay outside like that so I'm really glad the shoot leader (hijacker or no) brought us indoors. My cosplay wasn't exactly keeping me toasty. If the ACen organizers had just waited until May, we wouldn't have had to go inside. besides, a bunch of us who were there have started thinking that they just made a stink about the noise because we weren't one of their precious japanese series. it's bias is what it is.

This post has been edited by CorbeauKarasu: 03 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

#427 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57244

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

There ARE a handful of people who seem upset at the prevalence of Pony and Homestuck and other such not-quite-anime things :\

also I would very much love a how to photoshoot panel
derp

#428 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostCorbeauKarasu, on 03 May 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

Yeah, it was the weather, wasn't it? I mean, even if it hadn't been the weather, it was way too cold to stay outside like that so I'm really glad the shoot leader (hijacker or no) brought us indoors. My cosplay wasn't exactly keeping me toasty. If the ACen organizers had just waited until May, we wouldn't have had to go inside. besides, a bunch of us who were there have started thinking that they just made a stink about the noise because we weren't one of their precious japanese series. it's bias is what it is.

Acen's hands were tied.
The Con Center was already booked.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#429 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Yeah hopefully next year there will be some indoor spots opening up for photoshoots. Also there were so many others events going in may that acen couldn't get hotel space.

#430 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostTombolo, on 03 May 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

There ARE a handful of people who seem upset at the prevalence of Pony and Homestuck and other such not-quite-anime things :\

also I would very much love a how to photoshoot panel

I dunno if it's that. There's alot of photoshoots at acen that aren't anime related. I think it's just how some of them chose to behave that affected their outlook on the fanbase

#431 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

Well, I know there's a thread in the gripes forum about whether this is still an anime convention, and everything from Pony to Soap Bubble has been brought up as evidence.
derp

#432 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostTombolo, on 04 May 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

Well, I know there's a thread in the gripes forum about whether this is still an anime convention, and everything from Pony to Soap Bubble has been brought up as evidence.

yeah he really wrote up one hell of a butthurt rant about it... i choose to ignore it since i think that guy just likes complaining for the sake of complaining.

#433 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

It's still an anime convention, it's just not 100% an anime convention. But aside from one or two cons, most aren't either.

#434 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

All but one of the costumes I made for this year were non-anime characters. I wouldn't have had 1/5th as much fun as I did if it was strictly an anime convention!

#435 User is offline   CorbeauKarasu 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10405

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostKasumisty, on 04 May 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

All but one of the costumes I made for this year were non-anime characters. I wouldn't have had 1/5th as much fun as I did if it was strictly an anime convention!

Yeah, but now some butthurts are using the excuse that some unknown dude decided to play good samaritan at a couple photoshoots to try to shut us down. Way uncool.

#436 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Personally, I'd look at the raves and parties before the non-Japanese fandoms if I felt strongly about anime losing focus, but I don't. I have heard that complaint from people who probably have a better idea what they're talking about than I do, though, and a couple of my friends have stopped going for that and other reasons. But eh, I have fun, and it's about the right amount of anime focus for me I think. I also stay away from the dances so <_<
derp

#437 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I don't get why the soap bubble is part of his argument of why acen is losing its anime focus. The dances can be pretty fun if you get in the groove and party. Unless he's trying to say they aren't playing enough Japanese rave music? I dunno. I like that acen doesn't have to be purely about anime its good to have some variety of fandom in there. I don't see that guys argument as very valid.

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 05 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

#438 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

The argument I have heard is that people are coming to the con just to party and not really caring about anime or anything close.
derp

#439 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Not everyone goes to acen to party. I feel like they are saying "If you're not here only for the anime then get out" but that's not very respectful at all. We are all anime geeks here and other kind of geeks so why pick on other fandoms when acen is the place where people should feel acceptable for loving what they love.

#440 User is offline   bulbasuarbabe21 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59755

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

View Postkeitaro-849, on 30 April 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

ouch... i think that guy was directing it toward me... :( that's unacceptable D:. We are all anime nerds here so why pick on everyone? I know there are brony haters out there but they are going a bit too far... Bronies are supposed to practice love and tolerance and they shouldn't have to be treated like crap for those beliefs... I was cosplaying the rainbow dash gala dress so of course it will have a skirt... wow... just wow... we need to do something about the guys with the rude comments... if IRT was there i'd get them moved out of there.

i wasnt there for the photo shoot on Saturday, but i was for the Friday shoot.i was a rainbow dash with the 'deal with it' glasses. i really loved your cosplay though! i don't think i could have made a gala dress from scratch like that! :3

#441 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

View Postbulbasuarbabe21, on 09 May 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

i wasnt there for the photo shoot on Saturday, but i was for the Friday shoot.i was a rainbow dash with the 'deal with it' glasses. i really loved your cosplay though! i don't think i could have made a gala dress from scratch like that! :3

thank you so much :D

#442 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

View Postkeitaro-849, on 05 May 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Not everyone goes to acen to party. I feel like they are saying "If you're not here only for the anime then get out" but that's not very respectful at all. We are all anime geeks here and other kind of geeks so why pick on other fandoms when acen is the place where people should feel acceptable for loving what they love.

One of the main issues is that there are people that hear about Acen and just come here for Saturday nights rave to, well, get laid as I had the pleasure of overhearing two girls conversing in the bathroom about it. Also there's the issue of some people getting way to drunk for their own good, last year a guy apparently was at the rave, got really sick, passed out and didn't know where he was, who he was, where he was staying etc. On top of that apparently there are people that are outside the con offering to buy passes from congoers just to go to the raves and room parties. Fear is that this will turn Acen into another Reactor and have it closed down.

Non anime cosplay isn't the problem, not at all, infact MLP is influenced by Anime in a lot of it's setting up as is a lot of shows (See Avatar the last Airbender). The problem is when guests and attedees act well, unpony like if you will. Such as for example, the hijacking of shoots, confettie, the touching of others in a way that makes them uncomfortable, excessive drinking, some lewd behavior, etc. The issue also is that some are feeling that Anime Central should focus back on the anime, and less on say Home Struck. I think the main problem is that there wasn't enough International guests, Some panels didn't match up to what was expected of Acen in some cases, and most disastiously was the early closing of the Masqurade where preformers didn't get to put on their skit because some jerk with a stick up his butt had to go and show off and be stupid playing with a fire extiguisher to set off the alarms. The feeling is that the Masq should have finished and the bubble should have been bumped back. There was a huge amount of miscommunication, and also the issues of underage kids going to the raves where older dudes and dudettes could um...have there way with them, if they are just there to have "fun."

That's where all the issues are coming from.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#443 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 09 May 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

One of the main issues is that there are people that hear about Acen and just come here for Saturday nights rave to, well, get laid as I had the pleasure of overhearing two girls conversing in the bathroom about it. Also there's the issue of some people getting way to drunk for their own good, last year a guy apparently was at the rave, got really sick, passed out and didn't know where he was, who he was, where he was staying etc. On top of that apparently there are people that are outside the con offering to buy passes from congoers just to go to the raves and room parties. Fear is that this will turn Acen into another Reactor and have it closed down.

Non anime cosplay isn't the problem, not at all, infact MLP is influenced by Anime in a lot of it's setting up as is a lot of shows (See Avatar the last Airbender). The problem is when guests and attedees act well, unpony like if you will. Such as for example, the hijacking of shoots, confettie, the touching of others in a way that makes them uncomfortable, excessive drinking, some lewd behavior, etc. The issue also is that some are feeling that Anime Central should focus back on the anime, and less on say Home Struck. I think the main problem is that there wasn't enough International guests, Some panels didn't match up to what was expected of Acen in some cases, and most disastiously was the early closing of the Masqurade where preformers didn't get to put on their skit because some jerk with a stick up his butt had to go and show off and be stupid playing with a fire extiguisher to set off the alarms. The feeling is that the Masq should have finished and the bubble should have been bumped back. There was a huge amount of miscommunication, and also the issues of underage kids going to the raves where older dudes and dudettes could um...have there way with them, if they are just there to have "fun."

That's where all the issues are coming from.

Not sure but I'm assuming moving the rave back so the masquerade may continue where it left off is not as simple as you think. I believe Acen is trying to keep to the written schedule as much as possible. They schedule a DJ to show up at the rave at a specific time and have everything set up at a certain time. Alot of time was lost during that "fire extinguisher incident" by the time they get everyone back inside and continued the skits the masquerade time slot would've been over or close to it. Maybe they could have called up the DJ and told them to postpone the show till later because of what happened and that would've solved it. You're probably right though just a miscommunication error, they could just coordinate with the event managers and DJ or whoever runs the soap bubble to explain a change in plans. I personally would prioritize the Masquerade show over the rave myself since I haven't participated in the rave for a long time and i only like going there if someone will party with me but usually i end up alone in that respect. To me the Masquerade is one of the better parts of Acen just seeing the costume contests and skits are alot of fun. Carding people at the rave should be considered since they get all drunk and all the people going to the rave wanting to get laid. There's not much Acen can do to contain some of these problems though. You can't stop people from getting drunk as hell and getting so high they forget who they are. The guests themselves need to change the way they are in order for that to happen. It does seem stupid though that people just go to Acen for only the soap bubble. Seems like a waste if they spent their money to get a badge for an anime convention with so many other things to do besides the rave and thats the only thing they do... yeah makes no sense. I usually don't care about the Main Guests of the convention but i do agree that the panels were a bit of a mess. Some closed early, some ended up in small rooms when they were big panels, some were cancelled, Again so Acen could keep to the scheduled programming. What I think "could" be a possibility for some panels. Perhaps they could be made longer and if maybe there was a "set time of instruction" in the panel so more people could participate in those panels. I dunno maybe that idea is kinda inconvenient.

Anyways, back to the photoshoot topic here, I feel its kind of an overreaction here... Ok so some people blew confetti, touched eachother without permission, had some random hijacker guy come in and take over (although i don't see how that could be reflected on the brony fandom), But who's to say that doesn't happen in other photoshoots that occur at Acen. IF anything don't ban the MLP photoshoots, just learn from them and try to adjust the rules and way we do things accordingly. Point out that confetti won't be allowed, Remind people of the basic rules of any convention (when you're caught up in the madness some people tend to forget right and wrong and just let loose and go a bit too crazy), and as far as the hijacker is concerned well he promised he would never ever do it again and its already being taken care of. And if possible I would get some help from a few members in case IRT are not around to contain the group.

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 10 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

#444 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postkeitaro-849, on 10 May 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

Not sure but I'm assuming moving the rave back so the masquerade may continue where it left off is not as simple as you think. I believe Acen is trying to keep to the written schedule as much as possible. They schedule a DJ to show up at the rave at a specific time and have everything set up at a certain time. Alot of time was lost during that "fire extinguisher incident" by the time they get everyone back inside and continued the skits the masquerade time slot would've been over or close to it. Maybe they could have called up the DJ and told them to postpone the show till later because of what happened and that would've solved it. You're probably right though just a miscommunication error, they could just coordinate with the event managers and DJ or whoever runs the soap bubble to explain a change in plans.

I think a lot of what was going on was a question of, if we don't have the rave now then what do we do about these hundreds of people who have been waiting in line? We can't just tell them to go to there rooms, some might become rather upset. Although I disagree with the choice, it probably was a call based on the reactions from the crowds, miscommunication, and a lot of other things that were going around. I think by next year they will have a plan to correct this. :)

I personally would prioritize the Masquerade show over the rave myself since I haven't participated in the rave for a long time and i only like going there if someone will party with me but usually i end up alone in that respect. To me the Masquerade is one of the better parts of Acen just seeing the costume contests and skits are alot of fun. Carding people at the rave should be considered since they get all drunk and all the people going to the rave wanting to get laid. There's not much Acen can do to contain some of these problems though. You can't stop people from getting drunk as hell and getting so high they forget who they are. The guests themselves need to change the way they are in order for that to happen. It does seem stupid though that people just go to Acen for only the soap bubble. Seems like a waste if they spent their money to get a badge for an anime convention with so many other things to do besides the rave and thats the only thing they do... yeah makes no sense.

I'm not sure how the bubble is marketed, and I wonder if in some cases it's placed in clubs where people read and assume it's just like any other rave. Also there are people, like you said, that just can't seem to behave because they are off their leash so to speak. Carding people would help, so would probably making the bubble 18+ and then a smaller dance for the younger goers so that issues won't happen where teens are grinding with older men or women. Unfortunately it seems there are always people looking for a party, I'm pretty sure that such things happen at other events as well.

I usually don't care about the Main Guests of the convention but i do agree that the panels were a bit of a mess. Some closed early, some ended up in small rooms when they were big panels, some were cancelled, Again so Acen could keep to the scheduled programming. What I think "could" be a possibility for some panels. Perhaps they could be made longer and if maybe there was a "set time of instruction" in the panel so more people could participate in those panels. I dunno maybe that idea is kinda inconvenient.

Panel issues I think came from, either people not being ready as they thought, or in some cases not being able to make it, or at worst getting mad that they kept switching the times. A good idea, you should put that into the suggestions on the Main Suggestions and Gripes area. There's a thread on suggestions for 2013.

Anyways, back to the photoshoot topic here, I feel its kind of an overreaction here... Ok so some people blew confetti, touched eachother without permission, had some random hijacker guy come in and take over (although i don't see how that could be reflected on the brony fandom), But who's to say that doesn't happen in other photoshoots that occur at Acen.

Blowing confetti is one thing if it's outside and not a lot, blowing confetti insided and making noise near viewing rooms where people are trying to watch the shows is something else. If anything I think what upset people was the fact that there was a mess to clean up, and it was more work for the staff of Acen and the Hotel. As for touching it's a matter of comfort zone, some are okay and have a large one that lets them be huged. Others like my friends brother can't stand it to the point that he has trouble shaking hands. The hijacking was way out of line, and unfair for you as a leader. No it probably does happen at other conventions, but it's still not right for anyone to just take over. Period. It doesn't reflect the brony fandom, what it does reflect is the control that was had at the photoshoot, larger ones have this trouble in that the more popular the more excited the fans are, so it causes some issues there.

IF anything don't ban the MLP photoshoots, just learn from them and try to adjust the rules and way we do things accordingly. Point out that confetti won't be allowed, Remind people of the basic rules of any convention (when you're caught up in the madness some people tend to forget right and wrong and just let loose and go a bit too crazy), and as far as the hijacker is concerned well he promised he would never ever do it again and its already being taken care of. And if possible I would get some help from a few members in case IRT are not around to contain the group.

Very true, banning doesn't solve the problem unless the reason for banning is just lewd behavior over the course of several events. These things should be done by the leader at the start of the photoshoot and here when making the rules of the event. If it's known that the fandom is large then rules need to be set on the outset. Like I suggested somewhere else, split the shoots into many and at most have 20 people every half hour.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#445 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 10 May 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

Like I suggested somewhere else, split the shoots into many and at most have 20 people every half hour.

This is actually an intriguing idea. While it's cool to be able to get all the costumes at once, large photoshoots get frustrating quick, issues or no. I showed up to both Homestuck shoots this year and wound up leaving because there were sooooo many people and I couldn't even see.
derp

#446 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think me and dark spellmaster should work together in the next mlp photo shoot we got some good ideas going here. Probably should work the details on the splitting up the shoot by 20 people at a time.

#447 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm probably in the minority but I don't like the minimizing of photoshoots at all. :( When I go to a photoshoot I want to see and interact with as many people as possible. Even shoots that I don't participate in and only observe I go because I want to see ALL the costumes, the more the better. I want to see all the costumes and I want to have the oppurtunity for the varied and different photo ops that having lots of people provides.

Sure big shoots can be a pain and difficult to handle, but I'd rather not give up the things I love about photoshoots just for convience. I for one would be really upset if I missed out on getting pictures of/or with a certain cosplayer just because someone else decided we should be part of a different "20".

#448 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostIris, on 12 May 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

I'm probably in the minority but I don't like the minimizing of photoshoots at all. :( When I go to a photoshoot I want to see and interact with as many people as possible. Even shoots that I don't participate in and only observe I go because I want to see ALL the costumes, the more the better. I want to see all the costumes and I want to have the oppurtunity for the varied and different photo ops that having lots of people provides.

Sure big shoots can be a pain and difficult to handle, but I'd rather not give up the things I love about photoshoots just for convience. I for one would be really upset if I missed out on getting pictures of/or with a certain cosplayer just because someone else decided we should be part of a different "20".

yeah i'm not sure how doing multiple shoots with 20 people at a time would be convenient though especially since theres probably close to a 100 people i say in the photoshoot we were just at with only so many slots available among all the other photoshoots going on. and i do understand what you mean though having a smaller group wouldn't be as fun. If i just had some volunteers in the group help control the crowd i think the larger groups would be easier to handle. Also if its just 20 people at a time you wouldn't get the wide range of characters in the shoot or some may be left out all together. its gonna upset people if there ends up being 50 people and we only have time to fit in 40 of them. its not fair to the ones that are gonna be left out.

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 12 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

#449 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

Well that was just a rough thing. Just keep the number below a hundred or so. Too many people in a lot of cases can cause confusion unless like...

Okay say there are around lets say 250 MLP cosplayers, I don't think there were that many but lets just go with a large number.

So in this hypothetical senario you can do two things. The first thing is, if you only have one photographer, you can have lets say two shoots, one saturday and one Friday. That being said, on the Friday shoot, you get the 250 cosplayers. That's a lot of people how do you deal with it. Well for starters you can first divide the group up for the photographer based on, hights and costumes. Lets say...outside of grouping all the Rarities, and all the Pinky's into groups, you took all the tall cosplayers, put them in a group then the mid levels, then the smaller group. Now you have three groups. Group 1 2 and 3. You can then do this. Before the Photographer takes a picture go to each group, get them to quickly know each other with a fast icebreaker, like...what's your favorite moment of my little poney in the recent season. It'll get people talking, make sure everyone talks, analysis the group quick and figure out who is the shy ones, who is the loud ones, and which could be trouble. From there get the nicer ones, they will stick out the motherly figures, and get them to talk to the shyer ones who may have ideas but are shy about voicing them. Do the same thing with group two and three. Then get them to think about what sort of poses they want to do in their groups. From there, make sure everyone knows the rules of the situation, and they all agree to the poeses. If it's not a group agreement, then the pose is not taken. Example: two poney's want to jump on a poney's back, said pony doesn't want that to happen, that means that the group doesn't get to take the picture.

Now once they know the poses, have the camera guy take the pictures. Keep it to a limited number for each for the first run though say ten shots, then camera guy goes to group two and group three. Then back to one. all the while the groups while waiting can be coming up with new poses. At the end get the groups to stand in rows for at least three or four group shots.

Option two is the one I like more. If you know the set number of people, you can do it this way. Tell everyone to bring a camera, the plan is simple. Make sure that you have more then one photographer on hand, at most three. If not, then you have people with their hand cameras, and this can still work. Again break into groups, only this time break it by numbers. Count out the number of people and then decide on how many groups. Then just do what they do in school, have them count out to whatever group there is, in this case lets say five. Get the peoople kind of in a line, or at least a circle, and tap them one at a time on the shoulder and be like, "Okay you're one, stand over there. You're two, go there. You're three go there..." and so on. Once you get to five, then you start over, and point them to the group their in. Now, before all this ask who knows how to work their cameras, and then have one person in each group take pictures of poses for each group. Have your main photographer wander around each group and take photos of them, giving a chance for the person that's taking the picture time to get in shots. Then have a group photo and you're done.

Just some thoughts there.

Pardon the Pause

#450 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

The problem I see with capping shoot attendance is that it would inevitably turn into the schoolyard game of dodgeball.. how would people pick and choose who comes to which? What about large groups? It would always end in someone being the odd man out and they would feel unwelcome.

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users