Anime Central Forums: staying Sunday night - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

staying Sunday night worse... or better?

#1 User is offline   CurseOfTheLeek 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29781

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Leaving for the con a day early is probably one of the best ideas I've ever had, so I've been going on Thursday for a few years now.
I was wondering, has anyone ever stayed Sunday night? Was it a good experience, or was it too depressing for words trying to outlast the exodus of ACen goers?
I will be was an absolutely enchanting totally ordinary Persona 4 protagonist gas station attendant.

#2 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

I stayed Sunday night one year. It's not bad if you've got other people staying with you. But it's very boring otherwise. You can either go out into the city to have fun or stay in and watch TV all night. We went all over Chicago that night so it was fun. I can't imagine it's too fun at the hotel though
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#3 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

For 2 years I have stayed Sunday Night. The first time it was me and 2 other girls so we each got to sleep in and went out to eat a nice breakfast together. We had all the time to pack up our bags and figure out how to fit everything that we had. This year was fun, there was always something going on. The guys brought their video games, cable TV to watch, and reading manga. On Sunday we saw everything from out of the 7th floor window, we were face towards the the convention center so we got to see everyone else pack up their things and leave. Plus we watched it rain, it was assume, day or night we were all acting like 5 year old. I saw how the hotel crew cleaned up after Acen weekend, garbage, pizza boxes, beer bottle, glow sticks, you name it it was outside in the halls. I ended up making a video with Glow Sticks , took me awhile to figure out the camera. It is how we spent most of the night at the hotel room, playing with glow sticks.

Staying Sunday Night is a great experience depending on who you are with and what you guys have. Plus there is no rush of packing everything and hoping that you didn't forget anything while trying to get out the door before 12pm.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

Yeah that morning rush is craaaaaazy especially if you stayed up ALL NIGHT....like me..... O_o. (too many energy drinks haha). I think it would be a good idea, but again like people have said I bet it's boring at the hotel because no one is there...but the city is SUPER awesome and so fun to hang out in....the CTA blue line is right there in Rosemont. I'd like to stay Sunday one day I think it would be fun and a day well spent if you asked me. And no rush! :D If you can do it and afford it, I'd say go for it! ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#5 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

I don't think it would be the worst idea, but I personally don't want to throw down the money for it. In my revised words of Jimmy McMillan "Hotel rate is too d@8n high!!!!" (Not sure if "damn" is censored on the forum. :D) I mean if you have friends to hang out with that day/night, don't have work or can afford work off, then perhaps. Like others mentioned, you have the city to go to, you can drop by Mitsuwa after ACen closes, etc. If you're coming from out-of-state, I might recommend it so long as you can afford it, but if you're like me and live in the suburbs or Chicago, I don't really recommend it.

Thursday night is better in my personal opinion as there seems to be more people either coming out of town or just excited to start ACen that lots of pre-ACen activities begin. Plenty of Meet-N-Greets, Midnight Showings of whatever movie is coming out (this year it was Pirates, no idea next year, Batman?), and just all sorts of "let's get this party started" mentality. I went Thursday for the first time in my 8 ACen spree and I'll have to say it's going to be a welcome change in my future convention attending ways.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#6 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:30 AM

I would only recomend staying sunday if: 1. You can afford the extra night. 2. You're from out of town or live a farther drive. 3. Have a bad hang over and can't make it out. Other then that...staying on sunday seems okay but more then likely you'll be throwing money down the drain. Thrusday I can see.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#7 User is offline   Stormy-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51456

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

My group are from Ohio(6hrish drive) so we enjoy avoiding the rush of check out, and the quiet time after the all the con peoples clear out, lol :) With our group the added cost is not so much, so staying Sunday is a great time to relax and prepare for a rested start out Monday morning after a good breakfast :D

#8 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Thursday night is the way to go... That's how I met STVO! Honestly, even if I didn't have to work on Monday mornings, I probably wouldn't stay overnight on Sunday. Then again, I live in Chicago, so I am a bit biased. If you're from out-of-town, staying through Monday could be a lot of fun. Like others stated before me, Sunday could be used to explore areas of Chicago that you didn't get to see because you were too busy having an awesome time at ACen.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#9 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

As others have said, staying Sunday night is a good idea if you're from well out of town. Not everyone does this, even on staff, but it is a handy fallback option if you simply don't want to try to leave Rosemont on Sunday. (Especially if you're driving and have a long way to go...and if you know for a fact that you'll be tired beyond reason.)

Personally, thus far, I've never stayed at any con Sunday night - the furthest I've driven for a con is about 3.5 hours, give or take, and I always manage to get home sometime that night. For ACen, I live less than an hour from Rosemont, so I've never had a reason to stay the night. ^^
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#10 User is offline   Otaku Otoko 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9260

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have been showing up Thursday and leaving Sunday for the past 3 to 4 years out of the 9 ACens I have been to. Thurday is great. You can get to the hotel, sort your room, not have to worry about rushing to put on your cosplays (if you cosplay) and you can have a restful night before a long weekend. You can also meet plenty of other con goers that show up early or you could even volunteer to help con staff setup even. As for Sundays... I will warn you. It is depressing. Going from a hotel filled with a possible 20k+ people to 100 is a bit of a shocking sad wow factor. But you do get to see how the hotel looks during non-con times (they have a lot more furniture in the lobby) and you do get to sit back and rest. My group travels in from eastern Indiana/western Ohio so we have anywhere from a 3 to 5 hour trip to get home, and we lose an hour traveling back into the eastern time zone. It does cost money to stay for what most con goers would consider nothing but over all the rest and peacefulness after the con is worth it to me.

Also did I mention that you could meet any con guest that linger behind on Sunday without IRT security? Thats how I got to take pictures with High and Mighty Color a few years back since IRT and the record studio said no pictures at the con. :)
2014 Cosplays:

Sabo - One Piece
Bro Strider - Homestuck

Attended ACen: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

#11 User is offline   Sir Gibby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 26318

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

I agree with everyone here; if you're an out of towner then by all means, stay the extra day and see the sights! But if you're from Chicago like me and a few others from this thread are, then staying Sunday night through Monday is just depressing, 'cuz ACen is gone at that point.
My life is watching anime, playing video games, and eating Taco Bell with reckless abandonment with my lady!

My cosplays: Raccoon City Police Officer, S.T.A.R.S. officer, Chris Redfield, Dr. Ray Stantz, 10th Doctor, 11th Doctor

Check out My Amazon Kindle Stories, My Writing Blog, and my comic book series

#12 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Of all the past Acen's I've attended, I've never stayed on a Sunday. There's really nothing to do on the day Acen closes, except for maybe going out to dinner with friends later, but I see no need to stay an extra day and leave on Monday...the day I and perhaps others go back to work or school.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon) and Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa) Friday and Saturday

#13 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

For ACen 2011, I left work on Thursday and headed right to the con site to get my badge, since I had time before the evening meet-and-greet events. Waiting in line was a chore, but meeting other con attendees at IHOP in Rosemont (just a couple miles from the con site) really made up for that. That's one good reason to arrive in Chicago on Thursday afternoon/evening.

I've used my vacation time to visit other cities, attend cons, and do sightseeing both before and after events. The most recent time I did that was Seattle in 2010... I didn't enjoy Penny Arcade Expo very much (imagine a weekend surrounded by /v/ trolls), but getting to see the city was a great experience. Just make sure you can afford your hotel(s); and if you need public transportation, make sure the hotel is close.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users