Anime Central Forums: Legit non-print manga translations - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Legit non-print manga translations Finally getting somewhere?

#1 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Over the last few years, several companies have been talking about releasing translations of any type of East Asian comics in formats other than paper. A few companies have already started selling their products on iTunes, primarily for the iPad. But as far as I recall, efforts to release legit digital comics on browsers have been infrequent and often tough to find. I don't think there is yet one service for translated manga on browsers.

Do you think JManga might have a chance at becoming a central hub for official translations? I noticed a brief article about it on Siliconera, and it lead to the second page of an article/interview on About, which you can read here: http://manga.about.c...view-Part-2.htm

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Ok opening was confusing; couldn't figure out was this a topic about general translations online or one company so going to answer both.

If they do make manga serializations online, they would have to make downloads regulated in order to avoid pirates and illegal distribution. It might be a hassle, but if they can do the same with books, why not?

The problem would be freelance translators and the translations of Japan only work. People might use this as a reason to cause problems.

As for the link, they could only give it a shot and see where it goes.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

JManga opened today. It's started by offering a variety of comics, including quite a few which never previously had official translations, and some which went unfinished. Looking at the site, it's clear that more are on the way.

If you go to the site, you can use its Flash viewer to preview all the series that are currently available. JManga is selling content by individual chapters or full volumes. I get the impression that when you pay, you're buying the opportunity to view your purchased content online. I don't know if the site is selling download-to-own versions, whether for computers or other devices. That could be a major drawback. I do like to own my content, which is why I buy print comics and DVDs...

This has potential. I know some people like Crunchyroll, since it's inexpensive and lets people stream a variety of shows. Maybe JManga will have a similar level of success.

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

I hope so, especially since everything seems to be going digital now a days.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

It's been a year and a half since this thread started. JManga is still releasing more series (including ones which still have books in print, previously untranslated comics, and license rescues). As far as I can tell, the company is still doing well. A customer can buy chapters or collections, and here's now a pay-as-you-go plan as well as monthly plans. I don't know if JManga supports iOS devices yet, but it will work with most computers and Android devices.

I realized today that there's now an official translation of the Kimagure Orange Road manga on Amazon's Kindle Store. I didn't think that would ever happen. Soon, I'll have to see what other comics translations are available there which don't (or no longer) exist in printed books.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users