Anime Central Forums: Hardcore Synergy 2012 info and suggestion thread - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Hardcore Synergy 2012 info and suggestion thread

#31 User is offline   mydjsobad 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17043
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 30-January 08

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

We usually always have at least 1 or 2 people doing simple MCing (usually Corey (Core*MC) or Eddie) but this year we had MC Stone come out from Japan and we decided to try out a more traditional feel in regards to how hardcore shows go down in Japan. The gogo dancers were basically a first for us this year as well. Not everyone is bound to be pleased with everything we do, and given all of the snags we hit here and there we'd say things went really well. We'll probably be bringing the MCs back each year though as from our perspective it really did kind of help keep things going until we cut it off at 4:30. If we try it again next year at the very least it'll hopefully give us a better idea of how much it adds to the party when things start on time and our plans actually all pan out.

All in all, even with the issues that came up it was great to play as late as we did, and we'd like to give the guys on ACen's main programming and AV Tech staff a huge thank you and props for everything they did to help alleviate the delay. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but god damn did those guys do their best to try and make it so.

#32 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

please don't bring the MCs back. I know several people who refuse to come back to the hardcore if we have those MCs again,
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#33 User is offline   mydjsobad 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17043
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 30-January 08

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well the question I pose is what particularly about the MCs did you not like? The way that Corey and MC Stone were MCing (rapping, some kind of melodic flow that fits the music) is very much a common thing at Hardcore shows all over the world, and we're definitely fans of trying to bring that feel to our show at ACen every year. The other MC, Aubrey, did the opening and closing sets and was much more in line with how MCing was done at old school gabber shows like thunderdome (i.e. random shoutouts, occasional swearing, lots of yelling). In the case of Myosuke's set, it was something we felt was worth trying out at least.

I personally would love to have MC Stone come back next year, his energy was absolutely insane both nights and he really added a whole new level to the party. Maybe they could do it in shorter bursts next year as to not obstruct the music itself so much, but it really is a nice overlay for some songs and does help to keep the crowd going.

#34 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1441
  • Posts: 805
  • Joined: 14-January 04
  • Location:chicago, il

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

i really liked what MC Stone did at Soapbubble he's got good flow
Allen Castillo

#35 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

View Postmydjsobad, on 30 April 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well the question I pose is what particularly about the MCs did you not like? The way that Corey and MC Stone were MCing (rapping, some kind of melodic flow that fits the music) is very much a common thing at Hardcore shows all over the world, and we're definitely fans of trying to bring that feel to our show at ACen every year. The other MC, Aubrey, did the opening and closing sets and was much more in line with how MCing was done at old school gabber shows like thunderdome (i.e. random shoutouts, occasional swearing, lots of yelling). In the case of Myosuke's set, it was something we felt was worth trying out at least.

I personally would love to have MC Stone come back next year, his energy was absolutely insane both nights and he really added a whole new level to the party. Maybe they could do it in shorter bursts next year as to not obstruct the music itself so much, but it really is a nice overlay for some songs and does help to keep the crowd going.

Whoever was Mcing the first 1.5 hours. It was bad. Btw, the copious amounts of swearing ( the f word ) could have landed you guys in trouble. Despite being late night, it is still an all ages event.

And it was great you guys were feeling things out but this is the first year I left the party that quickly. I saw people leave even quicker than that. Like, 15 minutes into it.
If we got Sharpnel again, and that happened...
... the thought makes me slightly sick, not gonna lie. ( maybe I'm dramatic but I mean, it is like drawing a mustache on a piece of art, yes more people might enjoy it but those who loved it the way it was get offended)
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#36 User is offline   mydjsobad 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17043
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 30-January 08

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Funny that you mention Sharpnel and people leaving, because when we had him out a few years back he had the headline spot, and half of the crowd left within 10 minutes of him starting his set. We brought him specifically based on everyone's requests, but the thing is, his live sets are very different from his albums. So it's really not about who's on stage, it's about the sound and vibe itself. For the time period you mentioned specifically, that was when Aubrey was on stage. We know outright that he isn't the style that most people would get behind, but as said earlier, we wanted to give the more traditional style a chance. That clearly didn't work for people so it probably won't be revisited, but we've received a good amount of positive feedback regarding MC Stone, so we're definitely leaning towards his return.

#37 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

you have to keep in mind, headlining can also be a bad thing when the event is on Acen friday. Saturday mornings are usually an early day for con goers.
If I remember correctly, Sharpnel played a few hours into the event so you'll get the "casual crowd" out pretty quickly if they are tired and the music throws them a curve ball. Maybe I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to this event in general. It was one of those Murphy's Law nights that started with the crowd in line being rude and ended with my husband and I counting the amount of times the MC said f***.

Last suggestion and I'll stop pestering the thread but I do miss the smaller rooms. The Grand Ballroom was way bigger than needed. I'm not sure how the lighting and such is controlled but I really miss the year it was held in the Hilton ( back then Sofitel) ballroom. The space looked so fantastic. The set up was crowded but not too hard to get in. And with the space being so small, the lights consumed the room.

Also, I hope you guys have some non Acen events in chicago in the future. I know it is hard to pull these guys out to get in the area but I think you'd get a pretty good turn out. :]
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#38 User is offline   Xantar 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62300
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30-April 12

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

MC Stone was incredible. I'm a real big fan of his MCing though since I have him MCing over like 20 live sets that I listen to in my car. I thought he was awesome and knew exactly when to cut in and when to give it a break. Big fan of his so please bring him back!

#39 User is offline   Imasock 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62299
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 30-April 12

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Alright, here we go.

To start, two of my friends and I flew all the way out from California to attend ACEN this year. Hardcore Synergy was the main event we were attending ACEN for, and having attended Hardcore Synergy AX edition, we were super excited to see some new names that we have always wanted to hear live like Tanuki, Remo-Con, and kors k. We loved HCSAX; being able to hear M-project, DJ Schwarzeneggar, DJ Chucky, REDALiCE and the like was a real treat since we figured we would have to attend ACEN down the line if we ever wanted to hear such artists. That said, we were extremely pumped up for hearing HCS in its native environment.

We were happy, yet extremely disappointed with HCS 2012.

Let's start out with the good things:
The music - the music was really amazing and we were super happy with what was played and the energy of it all. There were some surprise gems that I did not expect to be played, such as Remo-Con's Pollinosis, kors k's The Shining Polaris, M-Prject's FF7 remix, and so on. I thought the sound was good too, though the music was kind of difficult to hear clearly unless you were in exactly one or two spots in the room. As an amateur DJ myself, I was thoroughly excited to hear the music that was played by the DJs that was not their own, because many of the tracks they played are tracks that I have used in mixes myself, so it was somewhat validating to me that I have made some choices in the right direction for the hardcore style I use.

The location had its good and not-so-good points (not inherently "bad points").
First, the room was extremely spacious, which allowed for people to spread out and really move around or use POI or do whatever. One of my friends is a really active dancer and he appreciated that he could really move around freely. The lighting was actually better than I expected and I really liked how it turned out. This extra space also basically ensured that everyone was going to get in and not have to wait around in line like previous years. It also allowed for the more mild people to be in a zone they were comfortable in without feeling constricted or having to resort to just the back of the room. I personally love just enjoying the music more than dancing around, but I do like to move around for some of my favorite songs, and not once did I feel the need to get out of the way or be confined to just one location because of that.


Neutral things:
The spacious room also meant that the music was, as mentioned before, clearly of better sound quality only at certain locations. When HCS was held in LA for Anime Expo, Club Nokia was a fabulous venue and the music hardly sounded bad no matter where we were at for the most part. That is not to say it was perfect everywhere, but being a club had its advantages, namely that the number of spots in the grand ballroom where the music sounded really good for ACEN was about the number of spots in Club Nokia that the music sounded remotely bad. Also, as a consequence of a spacious room, as the night progressed and people left, the room really started to look empty, and I felt bad for the later DJs because it appeared they were playing to a much smaller crowd. That is also partially due to the event's starting time, but that's another issue altogether. Some of these things are not really things that can be controlled to a certain degree. It's more like a series of pros and cons that affect each other.

The event starting time was not the fault of Hardcore Synergy, but I think it drastically affected how the night progressed. By 3am I was really starting to feel tired, but I wanted to stick around and hear what was being played. My group of friends and I ended up leaving as Myosuke was starting his set. This was due to shifting timezones from our flight, being on a jet for 7 hours, waiting in line for 3 hours, etc. I really wanted to stick around for DJ Chucky, but I just couldn't see that happening for how tired I was. If HCS had used a different room other than the grand ballroom where the other main events were being held, the event would have likely started in a much more timely manner, and people would have probably stayed around for the entire event because it would have been over earlier. Once again though, that was not the fault of HCS directly, but merely a consequence of the other events and things not being timely themselves.


Bad things:
Okay, so, these MCs. I understand what they are supposed to do. I know that they are there to get the crowd in the zone and really get them involved. I actually liked some of it, but I really feel the need to emphasize the some of it aspect. I also know that "that's the way hardcore events like this in Japan run". I'm a DJ as well, I get all that.

But the reality is, it made the experience genuinely terrible.

After about 30 minutes my pent-up excitement over waiting nearly 3 hours for the event to start had dissipated entirely. I kept wondering "when is this going to stop so I can listen to the music?" This event was Hardcore Synergy starring several amazing DJs playing some epic music with some crowd support of two MCs. This event was NOT MC Stone and Core MC's 2012 extravaganza with some random DJs playing background music to support the 5 hours of babble-rap. Now, don't get me wrong, some of it was appropriate and some of it was genuinely good, like when Core MC was doing his part for kors k's Hardcore Synergy track. The whole event did not need consistent MCing, and I felt it seriously detracted from the music and overpowered the event intensely. As much as I wanted to hear the music from some of my favorite DJs ever, I literally could not get past the MCing, and I was prepared to walk out of the event we flew out here specifically to attend. And that's what I did; I walked out close to the end of M-project's set solely because of the MCing, and then I returned about a quarter through Remo-Con's set because a friend texted me to say that it had toned down when Remo-Con came on. I also felt that the overuse of language for the sake of "it being hardcore" was just ridiculous. Every 10 minutes it was nothing but "let me hear some motherf***ing noise", or "get your f***ing hands up", or "motherf***ing ACEN 2012". The first two hours or so were the worst, and it slowly tapered off after that, but by then the damage was done and many people left because of it.

The best part of the night for me was when Remo-Con came on and he was doing his excellent technical work with his music and the MCs didn't really know what to expect, so they just kept relatively quiet. Remo-Con also had control of the crowd himself and was communicating with them directly through his motions and music without the need for the MCs at all, and after looking around, I found them responding more to him than to the MCs. A great DJ can communicate with the crowd better than any great MC, and it really showed here with Remo-Con and kors k. That's not to say the other DJs were not that excellent, but we would never know because the MCs really overpowered them. I felt terrible for them. The worst part about it all was that you couldn't understand ANYTHING that was being said as the MCs were "rapping".

In the end, it was simply too much. Hardcore Synergy AX edition had a good MC style and I felt that it did not detract from the music at all; it was timed appropriately, it was done only when necessary, it was positive and colorfully done without the overuse of expletives left and right, and I thought it complimented things, not detracted from them. I must also say that I was impressed that the MCs knew basically every track that was played and was very knowledgeable in regards to that, which was not present at the AX edition.

Please do not misunderstand this as just rage, because I do think that they are good MCs. I just think that they played far too central of a role when the main attraction was the music and the DJs. Even the music would have been bad if it was all the same music, and you would agree that the same DJ up on stage for 5 hours playing the same stuff would bee too much, too repetitive, and too stale. Everything needs to be done in moderation, and I felt that the MCs would have been much more appropriate if their involvement in the event had been about half of what it was, if that. I would say that I did enjoy the evening eventually, though not nearly to the degree I would have liked.

Thank you for reading.
Jonathan "Imasock"

Edit - Fixed some typos.

This post has been edited by Imasock: 01 May 2012 - 02:48 PM


#40 User is offline   Domino 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61460
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 05-February 12

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hmm, I don't have a negative opinion about the MCs honestly, to me it gave me a sense that this was live music. I'm not impartial to either direction as I've seen many sets with and without MCing (though not necessarily been to them), but whatever happens next year I'm attending again just because I love the genre's of music and the DJs who play.

EDIT: Though if you could pickup another Hardcore/Gabber artist like RoughSketch, Noizenecio, or kenta.v-ez~ I utterly loved DJ Myosuke's set.

This post has been edited by Domino: 01 May 2012 - 04:13 PM


#41 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostImasock, on 01 May 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:


Bad things:
Okay, so, these MCs. I understand what they are supposed to do. I know that they are there to get the crowd in the zone and really get them involved. I actually liked some of it, but I really feel the need to emphasize the some of it aspect. I also know that "that's the way hardcore events like this in Japan run". I'm a DJ as well, I get all that.

But the reality is, it made the experience genuinely terrible.

After about 30 minutes my pent-up excitement over waiting nearly 3 hours for the event to start had dissipated entirely. I kept wondering "when is this going to stop so I can listen to the music?" This event was Hardcore Synergy starring several amazing DJs playing some epic music with some crowd support of two MCs. This event was NOT MC Stone and Core MC's 2012 extravaganza with some random DJs playing background music to support the 5 hours of babble-rap. Now, don't get me wrong, some of it was appropriate and some of it was genuinely good, like when Core MC was doing his part for kors k's Hardcore Synergy track. The whole event did not need consistent MCing, and I felt it seriously detracted from the music and overpowered the event intensely. As much as I wanted to hear the music from some of my favorite DJs ever, I literally could not get past the MCing, and I was prepared to walk out of the event we flew out here specifically to attend. And that's what I did; I walked out close to the end of M-project's set solely because of the MCing, and then I returned about a quarter through Remo-Con's set because a friend texted me to say that it had toned down when Remo-Con came on. I also felt that the overuse of language for the sake of "it being hardcore" was just ridiculous. Every 10 minutes it was nothing but "let me hear some motherf***ing noise", or "get your f***ing hands up", or "motherf***ing ACEN 2012". The first two hours or so were the worst, and it slowly tapered off after that, but by then the damage was done and many people left because of it.

The best part of the night for me was when Remo-Con came on and he was doing his excellent technical work with his music and the MCs didn't really know what to expect, so they just kept relatively quiet. Remo-Con also had control of the crowd himself and was communicating with them directly through his motions and music without the need for the MCs at all, and after looking around, I found them responding more to him than to the MCs. A great DJ can communicate with the crowd better than any great MC, and it really showed here with Remo-Con and kors k. That's not to say the other DJs were not that excellent, but we would never know because the MCs really overpowered them. I felt terrible for them. The worst part about it all was that you couldn't understand ANYTHING that was being said as the MCs were "rapping".

In the end, it was simply too much. Hardcore Synergy AX edition had a good MC style and I felt that it did not detract from the music at all; it was timed appropriately, it was done only when necessary, it was positive and colorfully done without the overuse of expletives left and right, and I thought it complimented things, not detracted from them. I must also say that I was impressed that the MCs knew basically every track that was played and was very knowledgeable in regards to that, which was not present at the AX edition.

This.
So they did MC over M-project too ? : / I can assure you, this was the first time they have ever done the MC thing at Acen and it is usually much better :x


On another note, I finally found some photos of the gogo dancers. ( I just sat through the whole event)
No. Why. No. I thought this event was better than the soap bubble but I honestly can't defend it anymore if they are going to make the same sleazy moves :/
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#42 User is offline   Xantar 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62300
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30-April 12

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Quote

This.
So they did MC over M-project too ? : / I can assure you, this was the first time they have ever done the MC thing at Acen and it is usually much better :x


What? Guhroovy was there for the past, like, 4 years, and has their own MC. Core MC and Eddie have been doing MC work for the past couple of years. This is the first year they had MC Stone, but they've always had MCs.

#43 User is offline   Jenna573 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62361
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 01-May 12
  • Location:USA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Personally, I thought the MCing was really something else. I've never been to a show like that before. As Domino said, The MCing definitely gives you a sense of it being live music. I found it to be really thrilling. Seeing these people so energetic/hyped up. It's contagious. Stone was absolutely incredible. I've never seen anything like that in person. Aubrey was rocking hard and keeping the mood going. I'd love to have both of them back. I think my only gripe about it is maybe Core MC was maybe doing a *little* too much talking. And as for not being able to understand certain things they say... who cares? It's language. words are not the only way to convey meaning and emotion. Just they way they say it adds flavor to the track and the performance as a whole. It's not a rap battle, and so concentrating on everything the MC says is not the main focus.

To the couple that stopped paying attention to the main reason for attending Anime Central, and started counting the amount of times the F word was used... Are you kidding me? You say you're married, so you are very likely adults. How are you that uncomfortable with the F word, and how would you think that even most 16 year olds would be? The word is repeated so much on the internet and movies and by people in general that it means so little anymore. Sure, maybe next time he can tone down how many times he says it, but I doubt that THAT many other people stopped to comprehend/listen to the F word, instead of listening to the music, which is what they came for. I really don't mean to sound rude, but I guess there's now way around saying... Grow up?

As for everything else, The show was amazing. It's really sad that it got pushed back 3 hours. I hope that next year everything goes smoothly and no other events mess that up for them. The crowd would have been much larger otherwise, making the ballroom very necessary. I enjoyed the gogo dancers as well. I can't believe you never had them before! They make a really good addition for those who are interested. Nobody should be complaining about them, because if you don't want to watch them... Then don't. It's really easy. They don't make noise, and are usually dancing pretty out of the way. They add good atmosphere to the event and give it a more complete feel.

The DJ selection was pretty good. I'm not the biggest fan of M-project specifically over Chucky, but I understand his appeal and know why he's a necessary part of the show. Having both seems a bit excessive, although I'd imagine it cuts down on costs a bit, maybe. I absolutely adore Remocon and he's initially what prompted me to consider flying out. I've never even heard of myosuke before, but he blew me away. I love it.

I guess the only other thing I can say about the show was I personally get uncomfortable when things are thrown around, even the inflatable ball. It does distract from the show a bit because you have to worry about being hit in the head by a ball and having dozens of hands go after you. It also almost hit the DJs a couple times. People looked like they were having fun with it though, so that might just be me.

EDIT: I'll definitely be attending next year, just for Hardcore Synergy, and to see all of my friends again.

This post has been edited by Jenna573: 02 May 2012 - 08:48 AM


#44 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostJenna573, on 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:



To the couple that stopped paying attention to the main reason for attending Anime Central, and started counting the amount of times the F word was used... Are you kidding me? You say you're married, so you are very likely adults. How are you that uncomfortable with the F word, and how would you think that even most 16 year olds would be? The word is repeated so much on the internet and movies and by people in general that it means so little anymore. Sure, maybe next time he can tone down how many times he says it, but I doubt that THAT many other people stopped to comprehend/listen to the F word, instead of listening to the music, which is what they came for. I really don't mean to sound rude, but I guess there's now way around saying... Grow up?



This is an all ages event. They do not ID for either the Bubble or the Hardcore.
They could have gotten in major trouble for that.
I don't care either way about swearing but it was 1. annoying. and 2. Had no place at an all ages event.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#45 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5555
  • Posts: 129
  • Joined: 15-November 05

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostJenna573, on 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Personally, I thought the MCing was really something else. I've never been to a show like that before. As Domino said, The MCing definitely gives you a sense of it being live music. I found it to be really thrilling. Seeing these people so energetic/hyped up. It's contagious. Stone was absolutely incredible. I've never seen anything like that in person. Aubrey was rocking hard and keeping the mood going. I'd love to have both of them back. I think my only gripe about it is maybe Core MC was maybe doing a *little* too much talking. And as for not being able to understand certain things they say... who cares? It's language. words are not the only way to convey meaning and emotion. Just they way they say it adds flavor to the track and the performance as a whole. It's not a rap battle, and so concentrating on everything the MC says is not the main focus.

To the couple that stopped paying attention to the main reason for attending Anime Central, and started counting the amount of times the F word was used... Are you kidding me? You say you're married, so you are very likely adults. How are you that uncomfortable with the F word, and how would you think that even most 16 year olds would be? The word is repeated so much on the internet and movies and by people in general that it means so little anymore. Sure, maybe next time he can tone down how many times he says it, but I doubt that THAT many other people stopped to comprehend/listen to the F word, instead of listening to the music, which is what they came for. I really don't mean to sound rude, but I guess there's now way around saying... Grow up?

As for everything else, The show was amazing. It's really sad that it got pushed back 3 hours. I hope that next year everything goes smoothly and no other events mess that up for them. The crowd would have been much larger otherwise, making the ballroom very necessary. I enjoyed the gogo dancers as well. I can't believe you never had them before! They make a really good addition for those who are interested. Nobody should be complaining about them, because if you don't want to watch them... Then don't. It's really easy. They don't make noise, and are usually dancing pretty out of the way. They add good atmosphere to the event and give it a more complete feel.

The DJ selection was pretty good. I'm not the biggest fan of M-project specifically over Chucky, but I understand his appeal and know why he's a necessary part of the show. Having both seems a bit excessive, although I'd imagine it cuts down on costs a bit, maybe. I absolutely adore Remocon and he's initially what prompted me to consider flying out. I've never even heard of myosuke before, but he blew me away. I love it.


AMEN! <3

This post has been edited by DJ Jeffito: 02 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Facebook Page | SoundCloud | Anime Convention DJs Facebook Group | WeebCast

Dance Coordinator
: Anime Apocalypse 2013; Anime Crossroads 2015; Anime Milwaukee 2012, 2014, 2015; Anime World Chicago 2011, 2012; Anime World Indianapolis 2012; Kollision Con 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Shuto Con 2014
Game Room Staff: Anime Central 2002, 2003; Anime Milwaukee 2013
Misc Staff: Anime Reactor 2003, 2006, 2007
Guest DJ: 30+ conventions, including Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Sakura-Con (Full list on my Facebook page)

#46 User is offline   beserkerninja 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 44666
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 26-November 09

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 02 May 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

This is an all ages event. They do not ID for either the Bubble or the Hardcore.
They could have gotten in major trouble for that.
I don't care either way about swearing but it was 1. annoying. and 2. Had no place at an all ages event.


Would you really bring a child to a rave?

#47 User is offline   kenkendazo  

  • The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670
  • Posts: 2,127
  • Joined: 20-October 08
  • Location:Forum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

View Postbeserkerninja, on 02 May 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Would you really bring a child to a rave?

Have you seen the crowd?
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#48 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

There's still plenty of 12 year olds. And I know. pop culture yadda yadda yadda.
the point is, the event could be in serious trouble if they drop the f bomb over and over again.
just saying
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#49 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1441
  • Posts: 805
  • Joined: 14-January 04
  • Location:chicago, il

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

The average age of the people who attend both parties is 17+. I don't think I've seen anyone younger then that attend a party.
Allen Castillo

#50 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on 02 May 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

The average age of the people who attend both parties is 17+. I don't think I've seen anyone younger then that attend a party.

... seriously?
I attended this since I was 15. A lot of my friends have been attending around that age. I saw a LOT of younger people in line this year.
It is still not a 17/18 plus event though I think it probably should be.

EDIT : ew, double post

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 02 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#51 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1441
  • Posts: 805
  • Joined: 14-January 04
  • Location:chicago, il

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

i said "AVERAGE" age is 17+ that means majority of people there are over the age of 17. i'm sure there are a few people in there under the age of 17, but typically speaking the crowd is slightly older.

Linlindesu what is your objection to the dancers? i don't get it? why is it such a big deal to you that we have them there?
Allen Castillo

#52 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on 02 May 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

i said "AVERAGE" age is 17+ that means majority of people there are over the age of 17. i'm sure there are a few people in there under the age of 17, but typically speaking the crowd is slightly older.

Linlindesu what is your objection to the dancers? i don't get it? why is it such a big deal to you that we have them there?

no real objection besides it turns it into one of the things I don't like about the soap bubble.
I know you said average. I'm just stating the amount of language was way to much for an all ages event, that's all.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#53 User is offline   J-Corephile 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17046
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 30-January 08

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

It's really disappointing to see people letting something like a single word overwhelm their opinion of the event. There is such a thing as context, and though I wasn't there I'm 100% sure that any use of "swearing" was done out of enthusiasm and excitement, so what's the big deal. It fits the mood of the event, and it's not being used to hurt anyone, so if you have an issue with it that's more of a personal problem and shouldn't reflect on the event or the MCs.
In regards to the "all ages" issue, just because younger people are ALLOWED in doesn't mean that the event is any way catered TOWARDS them. I highly doubt that any of the couple-dozen at most young people there mind the swearing, and there's almost no way it'd be something they hadn't heard before.

This post has been edited by J-Corephile: 02 May 2012 - 11:16 PM


#54 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostJ-Corephile, on 02 May 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

It's really disappointing to see people letting something like a single word overwhelm their opinion of the event. There is such a thing as context, and though I wasn't there I'm 100% sure that any use of "swearing" was done out of enthusiasm and excitement, so what's the big deal. It fits the mood of the event, and it's not being used to hurt anyone, so if you have an issue with it that's more of a personal problem and shouldn't reflect on the event or the MCs.

I should just copy and paste this
I am not offended.
I was annoyed because it was silly and it is an all age event that is not ID'd.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#55 User is offline   Xantar 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62300
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30-April 12

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

You can say the F word in a PG-13 movie just saying if it's good for Hollywood it's good for the midwest.

#56 User is offline   Jenna573 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62361
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 01-May 12
  • Location:USA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 02 May 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

I should just copy and paste this
I am not offended.
I was annoyed because it was silly and it is an all age event that is not ID'd.

Are you seriously suggesting that you have to be ID'd to get into a concert where people MIGHT use mild profanity?

You need to get ID'd to get into panels that involve pornographic material and any place that serves alcohol. Not because it's suggested. It's because it's THE LAW. It is not against the law for even a 10 year old to hear the F word, nor is it against the law for them to say it, if they felt like it. How about we run a poll of which HCS attendees under the age of 18 were offended by the MCs use of the F word? The results would be hilarious.

You've already admitted that it's not a huge problem, and that it just personally annoyed YOU. I was annoyed by the ball being thrown around all over the place, so i made a polite suggestion as to why it might be a problem (accidentally hitting DJs, etc) and during the actual event, I moved off to the side so it was less of a problem for me. I then continued enjoying the show. Since that's what I was there for. I didn't make a huge deal about it, and didn't post constantly abou tit. We get that it's your opinion. Everyone has one. Give someone else a turn now. You have more posts on this thread than anyone else and you haven't added anything different.

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users