• You cannot reply to this topic

The Sega Thread Talk About Your Love/Hate Towards Sega Games/Consoles

#31 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

I didn't care for Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, either. Big the Cat was horrible. However, I do recall reading in an interview with Yuji Naka that Dr. Robotnik's canon name was once Ivo Kintobor, which he reversed to "Robotnik" after he went evil. "Eggman" was supposedly just an 'endearing' nickname bestowed upon him by Sonic, similar to "Robuttnik" from the comics and SAT-AM series. Sonic & Knuckles is still my favorite Sonic game, even though Sonic 3 & Knuckles were originally meant to be one game but released separately due to time constraints. I loved the zones from Sonic 3 (except for that Carnival Night night zone and its thrice-damned red moving platforms of death) but loved Sonic & Knuckles' even more... also, DAT SOUNDTRACK. I remember recording those tunes from the sound test screen with my Talkboy and listening to them in my spare time, back in the day. Did the same thing with Ecco: The Tides of Time, Alien 3 for Genesis, and Stargate for SNES. Such damn good soundtracks, those.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 09 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#32 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

I'll be showing my age on this one, but oh well. The Faery Tale Adventure was one of the best RPG's I have ever played. It has an extensive story and it seemed very ahead of it's time with a huge world, day to night transitions, your character starving and walking all crazy if you didn't feed him, and other fun little things. Buy a rom and check it out if you've never played!

This post has been edited by tatterpillar: 10 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

#33 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 09 August 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

I didn't care for Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, either. Big the Cat was horrible. However, I do recall reading in an interview with Yuji Naka that Dr. Robotnik's canon name was once Ivo Kintobor, which he reversed to "Robotnik" after he went evil. "Eggman" was supposedly just an 'endearing' nickname bestowed upon him by Sonic, similar to "Robuttnik" from the comics and SAT-AM series. Sonic & Knuckles is still my favorite Sonic game, even though Sonic 3 & Knuckles were originally meant to be one game but released separately due to time constraints. I loved the zones from Sonic 3 (except for that Carnival Night night zone and its thrice-damned red moving platforms of death) but loved Sonic & Knuckles' even more... also, DAT SOUNDTRACK. I remember recording those tunes from the sound test screen with my Talkboy and listening to them in my spare time, back in the day. Did the same thing with Ecco: The Tides of Time, Alien 3 for Genesis, and Stargate for SNES. Such damn good soundtracks, those.

I remember the story of Ivo Kintobor! When Sonic 1 came out, Disney Adventure magazine (oh man, please tell me I'm not the only who remembers that!) had a comic explaining the story of how Sonic turned blue (running on a treadmill too fast and it exploding, lol.) Kintobor got turned into Robotnik after soda spilled on a machine he was on and holding an egg which resulted in him turning into Robotnik. LOL

Agree with you on Sonic and Knuckles being the best, I LOVED lock-on technology and was hoping more games would use it, but unfortunately most companies moved onto CDs (for obvious reasons.) Genesis had great music! One of my favorite Sonic tunes was Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2. I also really love Sonic Boom from Sonic CD. That game right there is probably my 2nd favorite Sonic game. The time traveling concept was so great!

View Posttatterpillar, on 10 August 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

I'll be showing my age on this one, but oh well. The Faery Tale Adventure was one of the best RPG's I have ever played. It has an extensive story and it seemed very ahead of it's time with a huge world, day to night transitions, your character starving and walking all crazy if you didn't feed him, and other fun little things. Buy a rom and check it out if you've never played!

Oh please, that doesn't show your age, well not IMO at least. :) I remember playing baseball and Space Invaders (I think) on my dad's Intellivision. Now that's age, haha. As for the game itself, I see it was on Genesis from EA. Sounds like fun! I wish video games were more free to play like movies are to view. We can't play so many good games due to licensing restrictions, which is a real shame because I'd like to see re-releases of certain Disney games, Tiny Toons, and many others.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#34 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 09 August 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

If we're talking about the Wii, it's been out for about 5 years now; average for a console's lifespan. However, I can relate, since due to a shortcoming of killer apps (the same could be said across the board for this gen, really), it just seems like they're cutting it short. Also, didn't know you liked Jet Set, Panzer, and Otogi. :blink: Hell, I thought I was the only on these forums who played Otogi.

I mean the wii u...thing...whatever its called that's coming out and the 3ds just came out.

What annoyed me was: ds lite, bundles, dsi, bundles, XL, bundles again, 3ds, wii u. It seems to be that Nintendo loves making new handheld systems when the first one is barely out, along with extra goodies that make you feel bad for buying the core colors.

I haven't bought a new handheld in three years because I saw the Miles Edgeworh dsi, seen it was Japan only, and wondered why did USA have two to three colors at the time.

Or maybe I'm getting old and have no concept of time.

I played all of them but Otogi. I think. I can't remember that game! My friend used to have a Dreamcast emulator back in the 90's. If I ever get another laptop I'll try it again.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 11 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#35 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

I'm fine with WiiU coming as this generation with Wii has really disappointed me, more than any other Nintendo system ever has. I admire Nintendo for trying to be unique and I was all for it at first, but they really failed to impress me personally overall. The only games that really utilized the motions were Wii Sports/Resort, Wii Fit, and Boom Blox. The lack of graphical power really just encouraged laziness among third party developers and lots of developers just pushed out shovelware like crazy! To me, with WiiU, Nintendo has now just entered the current generation rather than start the new generation.

Now moving back to Sega, I want to actually praise them for trying with Wii! They released Mad World, House of the Dead Overkill, and The Conduit in attempts to make more mature games for Wii with effort. Mad World has some of the best graphics on Wii, but admittedly I did get tired of it after awhile. I haven't played House of the Dead Overkill yet but it has received positive praise and personally I really like that series. It's getting made for PlayStation Move with some extras, so I could imagine that would be really fun. The Conduit I have praised earlier in this thread but let me put it simply. For as much crap I can give the Wii, I have to give it credit for actually being a pretty fun system for first person shooters. Conduit utilizes it very well and is worth a look.

Sonic Unleashed has had a fair share of negative reviews, but I honestly didn't think it was too bad. It was actually a decent start for the right direction of Sonic, IMO. While the Were-Hog stages weren't as fun, they actually were not nearly as bad as I had expected. Not that I'm saying I want that character to return, in fact, I'd prefer he didn't, lol. Now the regular Sonic stages were actually really fun. A good mix of 2D/3D running which appears to have set a standard for future games with the release of Sonic Colors and the upcoming Sonic Generations. I have played a Classic Sonic stage from the PS3 demo of Sonic Generations. It was okay, but the jumping felt a little off to me. I'm still willing to try it again when it comes out though, I'm a sucker for the concept.
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#36 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 10 August 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

I mean the wii u...thing...whatever its called that's coming out and the 3ds just came out.

What annoyed me was: ds lite, bundles, dsi, bundles, XL, bundles again, 3ds, wii u.

I haven't bought a new handheld in three years because I saw the Miles Edgeworh dsi, seen it was Japan only, and wondered why did USA have two to three colors at the time.

Or maybe I'm getting old and have no concept of time.

I played all of them but Otogi. I think. I can't remember that game! If I ever get another laptop I'll try it again.
Y-yeah, the DS iterations did get old. I figured you were talking about the WiiU, but it's still been about 5 years, possibly a little more by the time the WiiU is released. (and hopefully renamed)

This is Otogi: Myth of Demons, and its sequel, Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors. It has destructible environments that stay destroyed the next time you enter the stage, aerial-centric combat, atmosphere out the wazoo, and there's the option for Japanese voices if you don't like the somewhat derpy English dub. Dirt cheap and well-received yet ignored by the masses, I'd recommend them if you want a Japanese action game with a more "traditional" setting.

The Wii didn't disappoint me too much. I absolutely love Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime: Trilogy, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Lost in Shadow, Ivy the Kiwi, and House of the Dead: Overkill. To me, those games alone made the system worth the $200 I paid for it. No More Heroes, MadWorld, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories were a'ight, too.

#37 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:48 AM

why do our nintendo threads turn into a talk about sega, and our sega threads turn into talk about nintendo?

i blame obama since he is bla............a bad man who most likely warship satan and part of the Illinois Nazi party.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#38 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

View PostSTVO, on 10 August 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

Oh please, that doesn't show your age, well not IMO at least. :) I remember playing baseball and Space Invaders (I think) on my dad's Intellivision. Now that's age, haha. As for the game itself, I see it was on Genesis from EA. Sounds like fun! I wish video games were more free to play like movies are to view. We can't play so many good games due to licensing restrictions, which is a real shame because I'd like to see re-releases of certain Disney games, Tiny Toons, and many others.

I remember playing on the atari :3

I always had to go to my cousin's house to play sega games like Bubsy, Rocko's Modern Life, Clayfighter, Boogerman (haha), oh and classics like (duh) Sonic, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe. Man, those games were super fun. Do you remember X-Men though? That game was HARD!

#39 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

didn't one of the genesis x-men games had you to press the system's reset button after a boss fight? both of the games had some very wired out of place mechanics like in the 2nd one, the first level that pop up before the title and sega logo.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#40 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

X-Men was hard yet very fun! Another showcase of Sega being a good developer of licensed games. I remember in X-Men 2, when you turn the game on rather than going to the Sega logo you have to start playing a level. Eventually after you beat it, the Sega logo shows up and then you really start the game! Also I never had the chance, but you could play as Magneto in the second game!

I know I'm sounding like a Sega of the Past Butt-Kisser (perhaps I am?) but I really liked their creativity in the past. On the NES (and some cases the SNES) I was used to only playing the hero of the games. Like with Jurassic Park on SNES, you only played as Dr. Grant. On Genesis you could play as Dr. Grant or a raptor! In Road Runner, you play as either the bird or Wile E. Coyote. Little touches like that made me love the Genesis. SNES easily had the better graphics though as it could display 200-something colors on the screen at once while Genesis could only do 64. Also, I really did buy into "blast processing" technology. Shame on Sega for making up a cool buzzword that wasn't a real piece of technology! While it wasn't Donkey Kong Country in terms of graphics, I was pretty impressed with how Traveler's Trail made Sonic 3D Blast on Genesis, despite the color limitations it was kind of a sneak peak of the next generation of systems! I wasn't pleased that's what they used as a Sonic game on Saturn though.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#41 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 11 August 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

why do our nintendo threads turn into a talk about sega, and our sega threads turn into talk about nintendo?

i blame obama since he is bla............a bad man who most likely warship satan and part of the Illinois Nazi party.

It's impossible to talk about one without talking about the other, due to the competition of the system market. It's like taking about PS2 without bringing up Nintendo or Microsoft or comparing a game from their library.

*Pokes hard in the cheek* No politics. I don't really want to hear about how our president is bad, considering how our last president left a big mess that any current president, Obama or otherwise, would have to clean up among the addition of trying to appeal to the public eye, who only want to blame things on other people but not themselves.

It would be like blaming Sony/Nintendo or both for Sega's failure when it has some part on Sega's part as well as competition.

Viver: I seen that game before but I need to play it again :heart:

Has anyone played Puyo Puyo Da! or Puyo Puyo~N on the dreamcast?

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 11 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#42 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Considering the Genesis' limited color palette, I think they really did an outstanding job making games like Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Ecco: The Tides of Time look as beautiful as they did. Most likely thanks to little shading tricks here, there, and everywhere, they appeared to have incredibly varied color schemes in most of the stages.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users