• You cannot reply to this topic

The Sega Thread Talk About Your Love/Hate Towards Sega Games/Consoles

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Stemming from the Nintendo 3DS thread, I've decided to make a thread based on Sega's Consoles and even games! I have plenty to say but am currently tied up with something, so I'll add more thoughts to the thread later. All of you, pick a system or a game and let's discuss!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

I never owned a Sega console, but I have some good memories playing SOnic on a friend's Sega.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#3 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

I have always wanted a Dreamcast to do this to it:

http://img37.imagesh...2338/yuyuse.jpg
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Suigetsu: LOL

I was one of the few kids who had both a Genesis and a Nintendo. I first had experience with Sega from playing Altered beast/Sonic. I prefered Sega over Nintendo because:

Variety and a lot of innotative games like Arcus Odyssey.
Sega channel
Shining force series and Phantasy Star
Most of the games had people

Only thing that I didn't like was the final shot with the Dreamcast and them taking over Compile and the Puyo puyo series as well as the Guilty gear name. That made me cry.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Bayonetta are Sega's greatest products.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#6 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sega since the dreamcast death have been very disappointing, but so for this gen their been very good, picking up platinum games is the best move they made since releasing a uncencered mortal kombat. i really think their the 21st century Treasure and right now, the real capcom.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#7 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

Sega's marketing from about 1991-93 was kind of awesome. It was all about GUITARS! and ATTITUDE! and MOCKING THE COMPETITION! It really made me think I'd made a mistake because I enjoyed my admittedly slow and boring SNES games. I wonder what happened to that marketing. Did it stop selling? Or did the solid games stop coming?

So many things went wrong from 1994-98. The Sega 32X was a huge mistake, even compared to the Sega CD. Even worse, there were a lot of mistakes regarding the Sega Saturn: difficult to design games, trying to sell it at $400 not long after the 32X debut, rushing it to market in limited quantities with only two games...

A while ago, Retronauts talked about how the Dreamcast debuted in Japan. Apparently it arrived at a bad time there, because the Saturn was still selling there at the time, and there were few launch games for the Dreamcast. And as we know, most of the positive momentum for the DC was ruined by the Playstation2 -- a system which had huge success and ten years of software.

#8 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 06 August 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Bayonetta are Sega's greatest products.

Great products indeed, though Sega's made far more great games than most people give them credit for. I'd say the following titles are at least on-par Panzer Dragoon Orta. (which I love, and have clocked more than 30 hours into)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
NiGHTS into Dreams
Burning Rangers
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dragon Force
Jet Grind Radio

And several which are almost up there with Orta:

Rez
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Sonic 2
The House of the Dead III
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Jet Set Radio Future
Shenmue 1 & 2

(this is all opinion, I'm sure some would put Shenmue or Sonic 2 in the first category)

Also, Bayonetta was a third-party game. I won't argue, however, that Sega acquiring PlatinumGames was the best move they've made in the last decade. It's also worth noting, in terms of third-party developers, they owned Treasure back in the day, and have still published roughly half of their games in recent years, from classics like Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, and Guardian Heroes to more relatively recent titles like Astro Boy: Omega Factor and Gunstar Super Heroes.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 07 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#9 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

OMG I thought I was the only one who knew Dragon Force.

I kept telling my former friends about this game and Shining the Holy Arc.

I agree on Sir Viver's list but I would add on the Shining Force series. Too bad Sega collection on the PS3 didn't have s3 and knuckles and Sonic collection one glitches/lags like mad so I only played that lock on game once.

Did Sega make Space Harrier and Congo Bongo?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#10 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

From the Nintendo 3DS Thread because we talked a little too much Sega there, lol.

Thank you. Yeah, it was mostly due to poor marketing, as well as the fact that Sega rushed the console out without DVD support (its GD-roms could only hold a gig, vs 4.7 gigs for a DVD-rom), and a big killer was the lack of support from EA. Piracy also comes to mind, but honestly it was a very small factor since people were uninformed about its lack of protection. (hell, even some happy Dreamcast owners I told about it recently didn't know)

Make no mistake, the Dreamcast's launch was known for historically being the most successful console debut (unless one of the "current three" succeeded it, but I haven't heard of this) with a strong lineup of launch titles, but again, Sega consistently sucked at marketing consoles in the US ever since the Sega CD add-on. It's like the Dreamcast launch on 9/9/99 (still a holiday for many owners) was a fluke before Sega snapped out of it and remembered that they don't like money.

The system lived on in Japan for years to come, with its last commercial release in 2007. Many of its formerly Japan-only exclusives were ported to other systems and localized (examples: Shenmue II, Ikaruga, Rez, Triggerheart Exelica, Chaos Field). That said, I love my DC and Saturn, but I realize I'm in the minority. :lol:

While you definitely make some great points: EA's lack of support, bringing the system out without DVD support (tsk tsk Sega), I disagree on the marketing. If you ever watched the old G4 show "Icons" with their episode on Dreamcast, I thought there marketing was actually pretty good (at least in America.) LOTS of print ads, some awesome TV commercials (like this one: It's Thinking...), and I think they had either a TV special on MTV or at least a big segment on one of their popular shows or award shows. Again, marketing was the least of their problems in my opinion. EA, no DVD, and the failures of Sega CD, 32X, and Sega Saturn with pulling the plug early killed Dreamcast in my personal opinion. It was a great system and it would have been real nice if they were successful, had the Saturn have the marketing and effort Dreamcast had, I think Sega would still be making consoles at least into this current generation of consoles.

OMG I thought I was the only one who knew Dragon Force.

I kept telling my former friends about this game and Shining the Holy Arc.

I agree on Sir Viver's list but I would add on the Shining Force series. Too bad Sega collection on the PS3 didn't have s3 and knuckles and Sonic collection one glitches/lags like mad so I only played that lock on game once.

Did Sega make Space Harrier and Congo Bongo?

Yes, Sega made both of those. I actually never played Congo Bongo but I did like Space Harrier! I never had the fortune of playing Dragon Force either. :( I own a Sega Saturn believe it or not (I bought one from a friend along with all of his games back in 2003.) I have a feeling I would have to pay a fortune for both that game and Panzer Dragoon RPG, oy! It's stuff like that I wish I had a time machine for. I like Saturn and Dreamcast to be perfectly honest with you (more on my next post) I just think that they made too many boneheaded decisions from both the previous systems and during the Saturn's lifespan to ever have a chance of succeeding.
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#11 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

I've read all the games you all mentioned, great games and why I loved Sega and despite not being too into them today, will always have a special place in my heart for them (yeah that was real corny, but whatever, lol.)

Throughout my life time, I have owned the following Sega Systems: Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Dreamcast, and currently own a Sega Saturn. In short, Sega Genesis is easily my favorite system of ALL the Sega systems! I grew up as a big Nintendo fan but as soon as I saw commercials for Sonic the Hedgehog, I knew I wanted on that bandwagon real bad! I'd always talk about him, make up my own comics with him, play my friend's Genesis, whatever until I got a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2 for Christmas. My Nintendo fandom had went away for awhile. Pretty much I needed every Sonic game from there on so that's why I got a Game Gear and Sega CD.

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the Game Gear (and I guess since the games were very similar, The Sega Master System either.) I really liked the Sonic games on it (and was glad for most part they weren't dumb downed versions of the Genesis games) but outside of that, I didn't have any games for it that were that great. The graphics were amazing but the lacking games and horrible battery power makes me prefer a GameBoy Original over it any day!

Sega CD will be trumped as a crap system for it's FMV games, but at the time I liked it a lot. It did have some great games like Sonic CD, Willy Beamish, Popful Mail, and the Lunar series. WWF Rage in the Cage was pretty sweet too! They also had some great music for a lot of the games (always rented/bought the Sega CD version over the Genesis game.) Overall though, I'm very disappointed I went with Sega CD over SNES as a kid. My parents allowed me to save money up for one of those two and I picked Sega CD, d'oh!

I think I explained my thoughts on Saturn and Dreamcast enough, so I won't get into my history with those, instead I'll list some Sega titles on all the consoles I loved:

Most stuff in the main Sonic Series (and Tails Adventure), Toe Jam and Earl 1 & 2, Panzer Dragoon Series, Kid Chameleon, NiGHTs Into Dreams (not that Wii sequel that I prefer not to speak of), Michael Jackson Moonwalker, any of their Disney/Warner Bros. licensed games, Puyo Puyo (yeah Fuj!), Jet Set/Grind Radio Series, Space Channel 5, Shenmue 1 &2, Jurassic Park Genesis, and I'll end there because there are so many fun games from them!

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#12 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Shenmue 3 needs to be real. Shenmue 2 was one of my favorite Xbox games. It offered so much to do. How about a game of Lucky Hit?

#13 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 07 August 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

Shenmue 3 needs to be real. Shenmue 2 was one of my favorite Xbox games. It offered so much to do. How about a game of Lucky Hit?

Quoted For the Truth. I always wanted to get back at that Lan-Di for killing Ryo's father! Let's also not forget:

Pick up block. Right, up, ooh hoo, left, left, ooh hoo. Put block down.

This post has been edited by STVO: 07 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#14 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 07 August 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

THIS. Read in Game informer that the creator wants to make it happen.

Has anyone played the following:
Sonic drift series
Knuckles chaotix
Flicky
Phantasy star 1-4, especially 1
Shining in the darkness
Arcus odessey

I know a lot of Sega games because I didn't own a SNES and used to save up for carts and experiment. It cost too much to buy another system. The only system I could buy after a Genesis was a PSX.

I wish Sega would make a good Guilty gear game instead of mario/sonic sports crossovers.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#15 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 07 August 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

THIS. Read in Game informer that the creator wants to make it happen.

Has anyone played the following:
Sonic drift series
Knuckles chaotix
Flicky
Phantasy star 1-4, especially 1
Shining in the darkness
Arcus odessey

I know a lot of Sega games because I didn't own a SNES and used to save up for carts and experiment. It cost too much to buy another system. The only system I could buy after a Genesis was a PSX.

I wish Sega would make a good Guilty gear game instead of mario/sonic sports crossovers.

* Sonic drift series - The Second one. Owned it on Game Gear and have it on Sonic Gems (or is it on the Mega?) Collection for Gamecube. It's not a bad game, but it is dated by today's standards and doesn't come close to Mario Kart in terms of fun (any version of it... well maybe Double Dash.)

* Knuckles chaotix - Yes, it was a decent game. The leash or hold hands system, pick a name, got a little tiring after awhile. It was on the buggy 32X, which when I rented it from Blockbuster it had serious problems. Luckily I found someone who had a working 32X and let me play the whole game. The bonus stages were real fun! A lot of people pan the Chaotix characters, but I liked them, especially Espio and Mighty. I don't like now that it's only three members (Espio, Charmy, and Vector), how they're detectives, and Vector is bulky. I really dislike most Sonic games post-Sonic Adventure 2.

* Flicky: Yes! That game is real addictive! Never beat the game, but I like revisiting it here and there from time to time (thanks Sonic Mega Collection!)

* The Other 3 you mentioned, nope, sorry. :(

I agree with you on the Mario/Sonic cross-overs, I always wanted a cross-over game, but not how they're doing it. :P Hopefully Shenmue 3 is given a chance SOME Day (probably not until PS5, Wii 4-D, or Xbox 1080 come out though.) Guilty Gear is a great series. So Sammy/Sega own the series right? I keep forgetting that.

Other great Sega titles:

* Vector Man: The first one was great. I didn't care too much for the 2nd game. I was disappointed the planned PlayStation 2 game never came to be but to be honest, their design did not look like Vectorman. Here's what it looked like: Vector Chief They needed to make him look more like this: Vector Man!

* Streets of Rage: I loved this series on the Genesis! Oh how I adore 2 and 3. Just a plain fun beat them up that was real fun with two players! I liked unlocking the Kangaroo in the third game. I would be all for a sequel, but I just have a bad feeling that the Sega of today would screw up!

* Sega 16-bit and Arcade Cartoon/Movie Licensed Titles: They still do them today (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man) but usually when I see the "Sega" name attached, I run for the hills! Now back then, they had Jurassic Park, Quack Shot Starring Donald Duck, Ren & Stimpy, Castle of Illusion with Mickey Mouse, Taz-Mania, Taz Goes to Mars, etc.

Sorry, I'm really getting into this Sega discussion, lol. In some pretty good news (well at least for Xbox 360 owners) Guardian Heroes is coming to Xbox Live Arcade. I'm kind of hoping they'll bring it to PlayStation Network though, because I'm considering selling my 360. I could buy it for my Saturn :looks up on Ebay: $32.99? Hmm... Also noticed Dragon Force for $12.99 (thinking...) and Panzer Dragoon Saga has went down from $120 to $86.00 (unless someone saying "one disc only".)

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#16 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

View PostSTVO, on 07 August 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

* Streets of Rage: I loved this series on the Genesis!

I played this game so much. It was on a disc with 3 other games, one of which was Golden Axe. Side scrolling beat-em-up games were so fun. Memories of Double Dragon, Final Fight, and The Bouncer just flashed into my mind just now. I'd like to see a clever modern day game do something with this type of game.

#17 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 07 August 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

I played this game so much. It was on a disc with 3 other games, one of which was Golden Axe. Side scrolling beat-em-up games were so fun. Memories of Double Dragon, Final Fight, and The Bouncer just flashed into my mind just now. I'd like to see a clever modern day game do something with this type of game.

Great great beat-em-ups! You also can't forget Konami's TMNT series, The Simpsons, X-Men, or even Sunset Riders (the cowboy game with guns!) They made a new Golden Axe on PS3/360 only, it wasn't a beat-em-up, it was only 1-player, and I heard it was real real bad. That's what sucks about Sega today. It seems like whenever they try to resurrect a classic, they end up botching it! Sonic 4 is the only exception I can come up with, anybody else have anything I'm missing?

Have any of you guys played the following:
* Chu-Chu Rocket
* Astal
* Fighter's Megamix (Sega's Answer to Smash Bros that was out before Smash Bros!)
* Baku Baku

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#18 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

View PostSTVO, on 07 August 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

marketing was the least of their problems in my opinion.
I can agree, to a point. I was referring to the grander scale of things, i.e. the Dreamcast's entire North American run. It got great support to start with, rendering the lack of EA and DVD support irrelevant for almost everyone who actually played many of its launch titles (most notably, SoulCalibur... freakin' everyone loved SoulCalibur, and many prefer the original to this day), but... it seems as though after the initial WA-BAM launch, Sega slacked, and by 9/9/2000, they just weren't even trying to push the system anymore. In my opinion, anyway. It's like they just stopped trying. If Sony's advertising campaigns (both in terms of hardware and software) for the PS2 weren't as persistent and, more importantly, consistent as it was, then the history of the 6th gen would have played out very differently.

Without third-party support (due to the system not selling and Sony not acquiring exclusivity rights for software), the Xbox or, hell, even the Gamecube may have come out on top. PS2 became the "something for everyone" console, just like the PS1 before it. The demographic it created, maintained, and attracted is what stabilized this "something for everyone" image. IMO, we haven't had a "PS2" for the 7th gen. The PS3, 360, and Wii each have a little something for audiences not "its own" (example: JRPGs like Tales of the Abyss on the not-so-Japan-friendly 360, or non-casual Wii games such as Muramasa and Sin & Punishment 2), but by no means a plethora of it.

To lead this back on topic, the Dreamcast (both before and after its demise in North America, eventually the UK, and much further down the line in Japan, wasn't due to it not having something for everyone. It had traditional arcade genres (scrolling shoot-em-ups, fighting games, puzzle games), RPGs (Evolution, Skies of Arcadia, or the incredibly unorthodox and inspired Shenmue), odd/quirky games you can't quite pin to a genre despite some similarities to existing genres (Jet Grind Radio's graffiti-savvy take on trick-based skating games, or Seaman's snarky, cynical little virtual pets), sports, racing games, survival/horror, platformers (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, widely regarded as the last "good" Sonic games until perhaps Sonic Rush and Sonic Colors), etc... but it lacked the advertising and ultimately boiled down to word-of-mouth for spreading the good word-- not a great idea when you have fierce competition.

Again, I love the Dreamcast... but Sega really screwed the pooch. They will never be able to successfully enter the console wars again unless their entire business model is changed.

@ The Fujoshi-- Ah hell, how did I miss Shining Force? Great games. I'd even dare say II and III were better than the SNES classic Ogre Battle.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 08 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

#19 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostSTVO, on 07 August 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

* Chu-Chu Rocket
* Astal
* Fighter's Megamix (Sega's Answer to Smash Bros that was out before Smash Bros!)
* Baku Baku

I heard of all of them, but the only one I actually tried was Baku Baku. My friend was crazy about that game and even had Mugen characters of them. I have no excuse either since they were re released!

Strange to say, but I wanted another Megamix. It had a big roster and people from Fighting Vipers and Sonic fighters made it interesting. I heard they were going to make anothe SSB. I was like 'put Tails, Roy, and Shining Force characters this time! Or puyo puyo, since you own the series.'

Me and my mom used to co-op beat em' ups, before she got lame, (she only drinks and plays big wis(?) now.) Altered Beast, Golden Axe, TMNT, etc. They have a lot of these on Sega Collection!

Viver: I still consider SF series, DF, and PS series better than some JRPGS today. Less fanservice, more plot.

EDIT since my PS3 doesn't like a lot of text: Has anyone owned Sonic the fighers or played it at the arcade before, as well as Sonic R?

I used to own Rival Schools and still wish I had it along with Project Justice.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 08 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#20 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

View PostSTVO, on 07 August 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

Great great beat-em-ups! You also can't forget Konami's TMNT series, The Simpsons, X-Men, or even Sunset Riders (the cowboy game with guns!) They made a new Golden Axe on PS3/360 only, it wasn't a beat-em-up, it was only 1-player, and I heard it was real real bad. That's what sucks about Sega today. It seems like whenever they try to resurrect a classic, they end up botching it! Sonic 4 is the only exception I can come up with, anybody else have anything I'm missing?

* Chu-Chu Rocket
* Astal
* Baku Baku

Played all as long as Baku Baku = Waku Waku 7. I still have my copy of Astal.

I have had and still have: Genesis, Sega CD (tray loader), Sega CDX, Sega Saturn, and the Sega Dreamcast.

I still have every game for each of those systems since when I originally bought them except for one, Super Thunder Blade. That game was traded in I do believe..but for what, I don't recall.

My favorite Sega games. Well, I do recall them having a pretty good Batman game as well as the games from Working Designs (oh, those waits).

Lunar series, Vay, Albert Odyssey, Popfulmail, Thunder Force series, Herzog Zwei, Magic Knight Rayearth, Sonic CD, Soul Calibur, Project Justice, and El Viento are just some of the games I remember.

This post has been edited by rondo: 08 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

#21 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

I used to love my Sega Genesis as a child. I wish I still had it. :/

Sonic was a good part of my childhood gaming. That and Mortal Kombat.

However, I will say this:

Dreamcast controllers are kind of unwieldy.
It's like playing video games with a cooking pan.
Just putting that out there.

View PostSir Viver, on 07 August 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ecco: The Tides of Time

omg i forgot about that game

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#22 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

View PostKii, on 08 August 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Dreamcast controllers are kind of unwieldy.
It's like playing video games with a cooking pan.
Just putting that out there.
Yeah, as much as I love the Dreamcast, I had a few nuances with it: the analog stick's placement and texture were very awkward to me, the D-pad protruded a bit too much (it drove me to just get an arcade stick for enjoying Ikaruga, Mars Matrix, and the like), and the triggers' level of resistance gave me cramps after a while. (especially pulling it repeatedly for special functions in the aforementioned shoot-em-ups) It showcased a great concept with the VMU, but what the heck was up with the cord coming out of the bottom of the controller? Damn, Sega, keep it together... even third-party DC controllers had their cords out the top. The grips were nice though, in my opinion. That said, the Model 2 Sega Saturn controller is still my all-time favorite anyway.

omg i forgot about that game
Tides of Time was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid, and still is. :] Loved everything about it. The controls, story, atmosphere, and especially the soundtrack. The first Ecco the Dolphin game was great, but ToT improved upon it so. Freaking. Much.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 08 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

#23 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:58 AM

What about your neutrality toward Sega? Can I talk about that? Though Dreamcast had the best fighters of any system to date.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#24 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

^ Power Stone was a blast. I wish that game would get recreated.

#25 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 09 August 2011 - 02:58 AM, said:

What about your neutrality toward Sega? Can I talk about that? Though Dreamcast had the best fighters of any system to date.

As long as it's about Sega, why not? You can talk about anime based off Sega (like Gun Grave), or their "great" movies like House of the Dead, then go ahead. I'm a bit Sega Neutral, I loved Genesis and Dreamcast, disliked 32X and Game Gear.

One thing besides Sonic that had me with Genesis over SNES was them having the more mature feel. They allowed blood in Mortal Kombat 1, they had Night Trap, the marketing was very 90's in your face. Personally, I felt "cooler " playing Genesis, lol.

As for Dreamcast and fighting games: oh yeah! Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Virtua Fighter 3 (all at launch I believe), very awesome!

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#26 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

As surprisingly good as Sonic Colors was, and as cautiously optimistic as I am about Sonic Generations (careful, Sega, you're putting classic Sonic in your game, don't screw this up...), I really wish they'd provide us with new entries in:

Panzer Dragoon
Jet Set/Grind Radio
Otogi

Unfortunately, the first two are highly unlikely. They were developed by one of Sega's in-house teams, Smilebit (formerly Team Andromeda, of Panzer Dragoon fame), which they pulled the plug on. I wouldn't want any more Panzer or Jet Set unless they got the original creators involved, sort of like how the minds behind Panzer Dragoon and Phantom Dust are making Project Draco for Kinect. As for Otogi, those games were developed by From Software, who are currently putting the finishing touches on Dark Souls and reportedly working on Armored Core 5.

Also, as much as I loved Burning Rangers... I kind of don't want to see a new one. It was a truly great Saturn game, and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams for the Wii showcased just how inept Sonic Team was without Yuji Naka onboard (who has since moved on to form his own studio, Prope, responsible for some quirky fun games like Ivy the Kiwi and Let's Tap). There was a reason he never wanted to make a sequel to NiGHTS; he considered it his masterpiece, and didn't want to ruin it with a sequel. Oh, how Sonic Team screwed it up in his absence...

#27 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 09 August 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

Panzer Dragoon
Jet Set/Grind Radio
Otogi

This.

It's like me hoping for Vitural Fighter again. And Guilty Gear

I'm netural about Nintendo. I love them but I yell out 'why do you do this?!' when they make another system when the old one is barely out yet.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#28 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 09 August 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

This.

It's like me hoping for Vitural Fighter again. And Guilty Gear

I'm netural about Nintendo. I love them but I yell out 'why do you do this?!' when they make another system when the old one is barely out yet.
If we're talking about the Wii, it's been out for about 5 years now; average for a console's lifespan. However, I can relate, since due to a shortcoming of killer apps (the same could be said across the board for this gen, really), it just seems like they're cutting it short. Also, didn't know you liked Jet Set, Panzer, and Otogi. :blink: Hell, I thought I was the only on these forums who played Otogi.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 09 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

#29 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Long time ago we rented or borrowed a Dreamcast from someone and we never really played it for some reason.

Go ahead and stare, we were dumb children back then.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#30 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

I really would love a new Panzer Dragoon and Jet Grind Radio, but ONLY if a good developer makes them. Sega should find a good 2nd party to make a new Vector Man. The first game was really fun and I could see it working well in 3D.

While I appreciate Yuji Naka for Sonic 1, Nights Into Dreams, and some Sonic Team-fare, I'm not a big fan of the guy. While Sonic team had some part in Sonic 2 and 3, a lot of it was Sega Technical institute. I also blame him for Sonic X-Treme not being released. Nights is great but I think I would rather have had a 3D Sonic to compete with Mario 64. Also, I didn't like a lot of the stuff he did with Sonic Adventure. Overloaded it with characters (Big the Cat and his stupid fishing levels), making that and future Sonic games on earth with more humans, and calling Dr. Robotnik "Dr. Eggman." I know, it's really nerdy of me but he just made a lot of unnecessary changes. While I didn't hate Adventure 1 and 2, they weren't as great as Sonic 1-& Knuckles. I can't remember if he was responsible for Shadow the Hedgehog, but that was awful!

Onto a more positive note, one modern Sega game that I really enjoy is The Conduit. It's from High Voltage but Sega published it, a rather good Wii title (I feel good, complimented the Wii and modern Sega!) Other great Genesis games: Ristar and Comix Zone! Comix Zone inspired me to put an "X" on a character each time I don't like how it turns out after I draw.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users