• This topic is locked

2012 Department Descriptions

#1 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

ADA Compliance is responsible for addressing special needs for attendees, and offering guidance on where to locate additional assistance.

AMV is responsible for all aspects of tne annual anime music video contest.

Art and Publications department is responsible for producing and presenting all graphic media to the public, in other words to provide the “look and feel” of the event. The production department’s sphere of influence includes original art created for the convention, the website, the program book, and other forms of visual and graphical media. The Production department is responsible for setting graphical standards. In addition, the Production department is responsible for archiving media from past years.

A/V Tech is a subset of Main Programming responsible for serving all audio and video equipment needs for the convention, such as projectors, microphones, screens, and other such items

Convention Operations is responsible for ensuring that communication and requests are relayed properly between the departments in the convention. Convention Operations is a point-of-contact for all staff issues, logistics, and requests throughout the event. The function space that Convention Operations occupies is also used for a variety of staff-related functions.

Costume Events is responsible for the various costume contests, shows, and events during the convention.

Customer Service is responsible for being the main hub for information to be provided to attendees before, during, and after the event. Customer Service’s main responsibility is at the event, where several stations are set up so that attendees can get up-to-date information on event changes, answers to general questions, or other attendee-related functions such as lost badges or items. They also are responsible for items outside of the event, including but not limited to answering questions before the convention as well as putting together post-convention feedback items for the attendees.

Exhibit Spaceis responsible for three areas -
  • the art show, which is a silent art auction/sales event for anime/manga artists,
  • artist’s alley, where artists are provided spaces to sell, advertise, and display their work
  • providing an organized place of business for Exhibitors to sell their wares.

The Exhibit Space's Department’s responsibility is to organize and manage this function space and see to the exhibitors needs.

Guest Relations is responsible for providing proper hospitality and treatment to the event’s guests of honor. This includes but is not limtied to assisting in managing travel arrangements, going out on social outings, giving tours, and planning guest-related events. (There is a special application and interview process for this department.)

Incident Response Team (also known as IRT) is responsible for crowd control, lines control, and monitoring compliance with of convention rules at the event, among other duties. (There is a special application and interview process for this department.)

EMRT is tasked to provide first response to issues where medical may be required, and to help identify the need for an ambulance or additional response. (There is a special application and interview process, and a licensure requirement for this department.)

Interpreters are responsible for providing Japanese-to-English translation services for the Japanese guests of honor and the attendees for the duration of the event. This includes event appearances as well as social outings. (There is a special application and interview process for this role.)

Merchandising is responsible for conceptualizing, planning, implementing, and selling Anime Central-exclusive items. The department gathers ideas from both staff and attendees and then finds the most feasible items to market and sell to the convention attendees at the event. Some of the items that the Merchandising department has sold in the past include mugs, t-shirts, license plate holders, bobbleheads, and novelty items such as bars of soap. In addition, the Merchandising department is also responsible for creating the awards given out at
various convention events (such as Masquerade).

Main Programming is responsible for planning and holding all events in the primary programming room of the convention, which hosts some of the most popular and largest events of the convention. These can include shows such as Anime Hell, concerts, and large panels.

Panel Programming is responsible for planning and holding all events in the function spaces other than the primary programming room. These can include shows, events, and smaller workshops or panels.

Registration is responsible for processing all attendee payments, badges, and admission for the event. Registration takes pre-con registration requests as well as those at the event.

Sales is responsible for cross-promotional arrangements with other events, for advertising ACen, for establishing ad sponsor rates, and for working with advertisers who want their information placed in our program guide.

Staff Suite is responsible for Staff Suite, staff housing, and seeing to the needs of our staff during the event.

Tabletop Gaming: involves but is not limited to, pen and paper role-playing games, card and board games, collectible card and miniatures gaming. The staff of the department is responsible for obtaining the equipment and games for the room and the security of that equipment. The staff is also responsible for running tournaments and maintaining order in the Game rooms in general.

Video Gaming: involves, but is not necessarily restricted to console, arcade video games, and LAN gaming. The staff of the department is responsible for obtaining the equipment and games for the room and the security of that equipment. The staff is also responsible for running tournaments and maintaining order in the Game rooms in general.

Video Programming is responsible for planning and holding all events in the function spaces dedicated to visual media - whether that is showing anime, a sentai show, or other such related items.

Volunteers is responsible for coordinating and managing the volunteers that work for the convention - those individuals that are not full staff but who are individuals who earn back their money in admission by working a certain amount of hours for the convention performing various tasks. its presentation, and the logistics around it.

This post has been edited by sisterdiscord: 27 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

This is my signature. It is only one line.

#2 User is offline   Zilveari 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60162

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

K I e-mailed you :D
#nipponsei on Rizon! I am t3h nipponsei troll. FEAR MEH!\

The MAL page that I never use xD
2011 ACen Registration Staff
2013 ACen ConOps
2014 ACen ConOps and complete ribbon promiscuous woman

You know you're an otaku when you see a young boy and girl playing in a playground, and your first thought is: "CHILDHOOD FRIEND FLAG!"... ™

#3 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

View PostZilveari, on 26 July 2011 - 10:36 PM, said:

K I e-mailed you :D

Yep. I gotcha!

#4 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 26 July 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

Customer service also owns Disability Services.

That's a bit out of date. At first, when I was just a consultant I was attached to CS.

Beryl recognized the value in accommodating ALL attendees, staff and guests, so immediately after the '08 con (I think it was the Sunday feedback session IIRC) he changed my status to Manager, gave me a dept. email and the OK to create the Special Needs And Compliance Dept (the name was his choice too.) Once it was cleared by Kate, who was Hospitality SC at the time I hired a staff and built a new department. Since then we've been sistered to, but independent of CS. Formerly under the Hospitality banner, now under Operations.

This doesn't bother me, but my Angels give one heck of a lot of themselves for this convention, often remaining at their post long after going off duty, and I just want to make sure that their contributions aren't erroneously credited to someone else.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#5 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Sorry, Smokey. I've fixed it. I made edits, and they didn't make it into the document properly. I agree, your team does an amazing job on a shoestring, and I didn't mean to minimize their efforts. Angels indeed! Smokey's Angels?

This post has been edited by sisterdiscord: 27 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

#6 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 27 July 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Smokey's Angels?

They give up a major chunk of their convention weekend just to help those that need it most, and they keep coming back every year to do it again. That makes 'em angels in my book. I even gave them wings.

Thanks for the clarification, Rosa. It always bothers me when someone publicly thanks IRT or some other department for their easy access while my team gets ignored. They work too hard.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

#7 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Your team is awesome, Smokey.

Also, for families with small children: Yes, Children's Programming is no longer a separate department. Instead, Panel Programming and Video Programming will be covering their duties-- Video Programming will provide the anime for kids, in nice, friendly blocks that will be clearly labeled for this purpose, and Panels will be providing other activities.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#8 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

Did IT get folded into another depatment as well?
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#9 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

With all these departments getting new leadership or just absorbed by others, we're going to need score cards to keep track of who's who. LOL

#10 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postjsieczkar, on 27 July 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Did IT get folded into another depatment as well?

Not as far as I know....if so, someone forgot to tell me LOL.

*EDIT* Re-reading: IT doesn't appear on this list because we don't appear on this list. There's no reason to include us...primarily because we typically hand pick our staff members, we don't typically take just 'anyone'. No offense to anyone, of course :)

And I agree with Smokey, it's going to get difficult to keep track of changes. Time to invest in one of those...oh man...notebook things? I think that's what they're called!

This post has been edited by Jguy: 28 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#11 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

I suspect it's probably best to think of the OP list as subject to change and revision as we go along. Best to go back and recheck it once in a while to see if edits/additions/deletions have been made.

:thumbup:
This space intentionally left blank.

#12 User is offline   Stephenie3078 

• Panel Programming
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58872

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

I heard there was a department for like babysitting or something like that lat year is it true?

ADA Compliance is responsible for addressing special needs for attendees, and offering guidance on where to locate additional assistance.

Art and Publications department is responsible for producing and presenting all graphic media to the public, in other words to provide the “look and feel” of the event. The production department’s sphere of influence includes original art created for the convention, the website, the program book, and other forms of visual and graphical media. The Production department is responsible for setting graphical standards. In addition, the Production department is responsible for archiving media from past years.

A/V Tech is a subset of Main Programming responsible for serving all audio and video equipment needs for the convention, such as projectors, microphones, screens, and other such items

Convention Operations is responsible for ensuring that communication and requests are relayed properly between the departments in the convention. Convention Operations is a point-of-contact for all staff issues, logistics, and requests throughout the event. The function space that Convention Operations occupies is also used for a variety of staff-related functions.

Costume Events is responsible for the various costume contests, shows, and events during the convention.

Customer Service is responsible for being the main hub for information to be provided to attendees before, during, and after the event. Customer Service’s main responsibility is at the event, where several stations are set up so that attendees can get up-to-date information on event changes, answers to general questions, or other attendee-related functions such as lost badges or items. They also are responsible for items outside of the event, including but not limited to answering questions before the convention as well as putting together post-convention feedback items for the attendees.

• the art show, which is a silent art auction/sales event for anime/manga artists,
  • artist’s alley, where artists are provided spaces to sell, advertise, and display their work

The Exhibit Space's Department’s responsibility is to organize and manage this function space and see to the exhibitors needs.

Guest Relations is responsible for providing proper hospitality and treatment to the event’s guests of honor. This includes but is not limtied to assisting in managing travel arrangements, going out on social outings, giving tours, and planning guest-related events. (There is a special application and interview process for this department.)

Incident Response Team (also known as IRT) is responsible for crowd control, lines control, and monitoring compliance with of convention rules at the event, among other duties. (There is a special application and interview process for this department.)

EMRT is tasked to provide first response to issues where medical may be required, and to help identify the need for an ambulance or additional response. (There is a special application and interview process, and a licensure requirement for this department.)

Interpreters are responsible for providing Japanese-to-English translation services for the Japanese guests of honor and the attendees for the duration of the event. This includes event appearances as well as social outings. (There is a special application and interview process for this role.)

Merchandising is responsible for conceptualizing, planning, implementing, and selling Anime Central-exclusive items. The department gathers ideas from both staff and attendees and then finds the most feasible items to market and sell to the convention attendees at the event. Some of the items that the Merchandising department has sold in the past include mugs, t-shirts, license plate holders, bobbleheads, and novelty items such as bars of soap. In addition, the Merchandising department is also responsible for creating the awards given out at

Main Programming is responsible for planning and holding all events in the primary programming room of the convention, which hosts some of the most popular and largest events of the convention. These can include shows such as Anime Hell, concerts, and large panels.

Panel Programming is responsible for planning and holding all events in the function spaces other than the primary programming room. These can include shows, events, and smaller workshops or panels.

Registration is responsible for processing all attendee payments, badges, and admission for the event. Registration takes pre-con registration requests as well as those at the event.

Sales is responsible for cross-promotional arrangements with other events, for advertising ACen, for establishing ad sponsor rates, and for working with advertisers who want their information placed in our program guide.

Staff Suite is responsible for Staff Suite, staff housing, and seeing to the needs of our staff during the event.

Tabletop Gaming: involves but is not limited to, pen and paper role-playing games, card and board games, collectible card and miniatures gaming. The staff of the department is responsible for obtaining the equipment and games for the room and the security of that equipment. The staff is also responsible for running tournaments and maintaining order in the Game rooms in general.

Video Gaming: involves, but is not necessarily restricted to console, arcade video games, and LAN gaming. The staff of the department is responsible for obtaining the equipment and games for the room and the security of that equipment. The staff is also responsible for running tournaments and maintaining order in the Game rooms in general.

Video Programming is responsible for planning and holding all events in the function spaces dedicated to visual media - whether that is showing anime, a sentai show, or other such related items.

Volunteers is responsible for coordinating and managing the volunteers that work for the convention - those individuals that are not full staff but who are individuals who earn back their money in admission by working a certain amount of hours for the convention performing various tasks. its presentation, and the logistics around it.

#13 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

View PostStephenie3078, on 29 August 2011 - 09:39 PM, said:

I heard there was a department for like babysitting or something like that lat year is it true?

As much as we try to accommodate people with all kinds of special needs, babysitting is not something that we'd be able to handle. We can't even do bag check let alone baby check.

The hotel might be able to steer you towards a professional babysitting service. Email me if you'd like some assistance with that.

#14 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

View PostStephenie3078, on 29 August 2011 - 09:39 PM, said:

You might be thinking of Children's Programming, which is no longer a separate department. It wasn't really a babysitting department, it was just children's oriented programming (and parents had to be with the kids). Now, instead, Panel Programming will be offering panels geared toward the 14 and under set.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#15 User is offline   dreamgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9362

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hello, my name is Tierianna!
I was a little fuzzy if the application process has started.

Nonetheless, I want to apply for 3 positions and the first listed is the one I am most interested in. I understand there is a process to apply and interview process for Guest Relations, so please let me know the best way to go about it, ie. where to send resume, and personal info. :) thank you!

Position interest:
1. Guest Relations
2. Main Programming
3. Staff Suite

Its cause im awsum

highschool: discovered anime had a name; thank god.
College: discovered alcohol; YES.
>:D

#16 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

View Postdreamgirl, on 02 October 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Hello, my name is Tierianna!
I was a little fuzzy if the application process has started.

Nonetheless, I want to apply for 3 positions and the first listed is the one I am most interested in. I understand there is a process to apply and interview process for Guest Relations, so please let me know the best way to go about it, ie. where to send resume, and personal info. :) thank you!

Position interest:
1. Guest Relations
2. Main Programming
3. Staff Suite

We are definitely taking applications, the con prep year is in full swing! I'd suggest starting by sending an email to our Chief of Staff, Rosa, at chiefofstaff@acen.org with your name, contact info, and what departments you're interested in. She can guide you from there :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#17 User is offline   dreamgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

I sent an email to the address provided but it was denied as not acceptable to the domain... awkward xD

View PostKnitChick, on 02 October 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

We are definitely taking applications, the con prep year is in full swing! I'd suggest starting by sending an email to our Chief of Staff, Rosa, at chiefofstaff@acen.org with your name, contact info, and what departments you're interested in. She can guide you from there :)

This post has been edited by dreamgirl: 02 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Its cause im awsum

#18 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Weird, I just checked and that email address should be working. You can email your info to me at Panels@ACen.org and I can forward it to her if you would like :)
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#19 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Or you can fill out the form that goes to the Chief of Staff in this link....http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php/topic/40928-how-do-i-become-staff/

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#20 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

There does seem to be an issue with the chiefofstaff email, I've replicated the problem dreamgirl is having. I just let IT know, as this is an email error I've never seen before.

#21 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

Heh, just reponded to that PM. Thanks Knitchick :)

dreamgirl: Do you know when you tried to send that email? I'll take a look at our (glorious eye damaging) email logs and see what might have happened.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#22 User is offline   dreamgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

guest relations
Its cause im awsum

#23 User is offline   Zilveari 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60162

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

I sent an e-mail back on 11/18 to confirm my dept and stuff and never got a response, but I also didn't get an error. Should I try sending again if the issue has been resolved?
#nipponsei on Rizon! I am t3h nipponsei troll. FEAR MEH!\

The MAL page that I never use xD
2011 ACen Registration Staff
2013 ACen ConOps
2014 ACen ConOps and complete ribbon promiscuous woman

You know you're an otaku when you see a young boy and girl playing in a playground, and your first thought is: "CHILDHOOD FRIEND FLAG!"... ™

#24 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

You should try emailing again. We've had off and on issues with our email accounts but they should be working now. Try emailing conops@acen.org and chiefofstaff@acen.org. I'll let the con ops DH know so he can expect your email. I'm just going off your sig saying you're con ops staff for 2012, if it's a different department use their email.
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#25 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

An update to the descriptions:

As of this posting, AMVs have been folded into Video Programming. I'm now taking care of both departments.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users