• This topic is locked

EMRT suggestions for 2012

#1 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Please post any suggestions that you feel could make EMRT (Medical) better for 2012, as we prepare to start organizing. Please post your suggestions in this topic and we will make sure to follow up with you on them if they are possible or not. Thank you.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#2 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Just two quickie questions!

- Is anyone in EMRT also a Skywarn (link) spotter?
If not, I'd strongly suggest it; a good portion of the training is preparedness and safety (which as EMRT you all already know), and the rest could be extremely helpful to know, as ACen falls in Chicagoland's prime tornado & severe event risk period (and y'all are trained and on-scene), as well as being an asset in any weather event as being both a trained spotter and emergency responder is an valuable thing (saving lives via prevention and response), among other benefits I'll TL;DR if I go on about. If a severe weather event or disaster were to occur con weekend, you guys would be the first responders at and on scene, so NOAA/NWS training could only be beneficial to all, especially if a weather event is still occurring during response.

- Do we have a plan for emergency/severe weather events in place? If so, what is it?; If not, why not (and who should be contacted to set one up)?
In light of all the recent severe weather events across the country, and the fact that ACen is in the heart of tornado season, and that last year we had a hail storm come right over the convention, and that this is Severe Weather Awareness Month, I figured I'd ask (y'all seemed the most appropriate & likely-to-know department, as you are first response at con and all). A plan is only as good as how well it's known, so an unadvertised, unannounced plan is as useful as having none at all. At a recent NWS/NOAA spotter training seminar, I spoke with a respected National Weather Service SPC forecaster (who also specializes in large venue events and safety/preparedness) who said he'd be willing to help events with making or improving their plans, & directing them to that which is needed; I've got his email ready to forward to whomever handles this matter, and to the hotels/DESCC if needed. If necessary or better answered there, I could post this question to the Hotel/Convention Center or to IRT/Security sections.

I also just wanna say thanks for always being awesome, guys. <3
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#3 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

As a matter of fact I personally am a severe weather spotter, skywarn member, amateur radio operator, emergency management officer, previously a meteorology student before changing career paths, and also the primary person in contact with KLOT (Romeoville office) for my town during severe weather events. I'll pm you shortly about the other concerns you had. I just want to clear up some stuff internally before I give an official answer on it. BTW which contact with the nasty are you referring to? Oh ya last year on Sunday for acen we had a severe thunderstorm warning that did in fact affect acen and also later on in he evening some more severe weather was on its way but it was after con for that part of the storm.
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA

#4 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Another question, though more for curiousity than anything. Do the hotels and convention center have AEDs? I know that it's law that a lot of public places are supposed to have them. Airports all do and schools as well. Just wondering.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#5 User is offline   emtsteve 

• EMRT Department Head
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 5515

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 19 March 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Another question, though more for curiousity than anything. Do the hotels and convention center have AEDs? I know that it's law that a lot of public places are supposed to have them. Airports all do and schools as well. Just wondering.

Yes the hotel and convention center have AED's as well as our department.
Steve "Medic 1"
EMRT - DH

#6 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postemtsteve, on 20 March 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Yes the hotel and convention center have AED's as well as our department.

Do the layout maps (our prog guide's renders or the DESCC/hotels' own, either/or) have their locations posted? I know in my old high school and at college they usually had them on the walls by the bathrooms and near the dining halls and gym, and the dorms had them at the main lobby desk area; I'd imagine the hotels would do similar, at least in regards to by the pools/rec areas, restaurants, and (probably) by the main desk/security?
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#7 User is offline   emtsteve 

• EMRT Department Head
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 5515

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 21 March 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Do the layout maps (our prog guide's renders or the DESCC/hotels' own, either/or) have their locations posted? I know in my old high school and at college they usually had them on the walls by the bathrooms and near the dining halls and gym, and the dorms had them at the main lobby desk area; I'd imagine the hotels would do similar, at least in regards to by the pools/rec areas, restaurants, and (probably) by the main desk/security?

I have not seen them posted on the maps but they are clearly marked on the walls with huge red signs in the convention center and located with security at the hyatt.
Steve "Medic 1"
EMRT - DH

#8 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

ARCHIVE ME
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users