Anime Central Forums: Google+ - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Google+ Are you willing to ditch Facebook for this?

#1 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

Its not out to the public yet, but there is gonna be a new social network by Google called Google+ From what I hear its way better than facebook and has total privacy control. I hear its really good. And as far as privacy settings go

Google+ won't ever disclose the names of your circles (apparently, even to the people that are in them), although people in circles may be able to see some of the others members of the the circle that they're in - presumably depending on who posts any kind of feedback.

If you decide you don't like it, then you'll be able to downgrade your account, which will delete your
profile and remove any posts, circles and other Google+ content while still enabling access to Gmail and other Google services.

I must admit I am getting a bit tired of facebook. The spam is horrible and the apps are getting kinda silly. Google+ looks like it can be a lot of fun and more mature. Here's the link about Google+ Remember its in trial mode and only a select few people have been chosen to try it out. So be patient! Here's the link about Google+

http://www.pocket-li...oid-iphone-apps
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#2 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

I think I'd have to see how it's setup before I would switch. Facebook may have it's problems but it is really easy to use. So we'll see. Sounds interesting though
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#3 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

^^Ditto.

#4 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Highly doubt it.

#5 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Google has tried social networks in the past. While they are one of the biggest companies around, changing the habits of millions of people isn't an easy task. :lol: I think they will have a difficult time pulling people away from Facebook. I don't think most people bother with multiple social networking sites. I dropped myspace a few years after Facebook took the top spot.

#6 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

IA, Scott. I can't even keep up with Twitter... LJ is probably the one I'm on the most, but none of my RL friends have one so FB at least has that.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#7 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

If anyone can give Facebook a run for its money, it's Google. It already has the user base, but as Scott said, it's attempt at social networks in the past never took off.

I'm all for competition for Facebook, but Google is already a huge data mining machine. They track and record your searches, they track your location with their smartphones, they have control of many people's email accounts and many other things. Google becoming a social network just gives them even more data. Other than that, I think Google+ may actually be pretty cool.
~~

#8 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

Im actually on Google+ and I must say as a beta test its great! I love the full interaction with friends as you chat with them on the camera and watch you tube videos. the circle is a good idea. It allows you to create a circle for friends, family. Its very private, no spam, no insane game apps, just a great social site with the potential to be bigger. I heard HULU want to a part of Google+. Now I can watch with my friends and chat with them while we watch. I can take some invites if you want. Has to be gmail only and the invite may take awhile because it its still in beta testing! Its a lot of fun I must admit.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#9 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

View Postexcel excel, on 01 July 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

Im actually on Google+ and I must say as a beta test its great! I love the full interaction with friends as you chat with them on the camera and watch you tube videos. the circle is a good idea. It allows you to create a circle for friends, family. Its very private, no spam, no insane game apps, just a great social site with the potential to be bigger. I heard HULU want to a part of Google+. Now I can watch with my friends and chat with them while we watch. I can take some invites if you want. Has to be gmail only and the invite may take awhile because it its still in beta testing! Its a lot of fun I must admit.

I would love to have an invite.. I wanna see what this is all about. My gmail is: skirtzaku at gmail dot com
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#10 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

View PostRukariou, on 06 July 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

I would love to have an invite.. I wanna see what this is all about. My gmail is: skirtzaku at gmail dot com

Ok! Im gonna add you right now. In fact Google+ is getting so many demands that they are gonna let a select few in today. I already got an ACen circle started for my friends so if you guys want in send me a pm with your email address. I am really loving Google+ I like the fact that I can make circles for individual groups and allow only certain people in my circle to see my post. The hangout feature is the best! You can get 10 people via live chat and just talk away! I can also use the feature to host live cooking shows to my friends who want to see it. For those that are new to it its understandable. Here's a how to guide for those that have it but dont know how to use it

http://www.readwrite...google_plus.php
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#11 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostScott, on 01 July 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

Google has tried social networks in the past. While they are one of the biggest companies around, changing the habits of millions of people isn't an easy task. :lol: I think they will have a difficult time pulling people away from Facebook. I don't think most people bother with multiple social networking sites. I dropped myspace a few years after Facebook took the top spot.

Well you just proved that it is indeed possible just by mentioning myspace. It wasn't that long ago that Fox (well, News Corp) bought it for $580 million (2005). Just a few weeks ago it sold for $35 million. This kind of fad can change hard and fast.

I would leave facebook in a heartbeat if it turns out Google+ is a viable contender. As it is I almost never use my fb anyway and just check it because I'm bored or whatever. I seldomly post or chat on it. Facebook has just gotten too huge and tried to do too many things at once (and it doesn't do any of them terribly well, honestly). I got on when it was restricted to college students, and it was pretty sweet. Now it's become as bad as MySpace was when it started its slide.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 07 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#12 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Sometimes on Fb I get so much horrible spam and silly invites to play games that I find no interest in. Im sure you guys get the "NIKE SHOES @ 50% OFF," or "OMG YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT THIS FATHER DID TO HER DAUGHTER" popping up on FB. Its getting kind of annoying. Google+ give me some kind of privacy and the fact I can choose who I want to talk to about certain things is a plus. If I want to talk about cosplay, I have a cosplay circle, for anime I have an anime circle. You have the freedom to be creative and just have a good time. FB is getting kind of outdated. Yesterday they had some "Awesome" news. It was video chatting on Skype. Its one-on-one. How is this awesome? Its been out for years. Google+'s hang out feature give you the ability to chat with ten people at the same time. Progress is constantly changing. Sometimes you gotta innovate to keep up with the times. And I think this is a example of changing times in the social network. Now will FB be gone forever? No. But it is good to have some healthy competition.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#13 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:07 AM

Google+ won't ever disclose the names of your circles

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Google...

Good one.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#14 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:05 AM

Not sure if I want or not.

View PostRukariou, on 01 July 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

IA, Scott. I can't even keep up with Twitter... LJ is probably the one I'm on the most, but none of my RL friends have one so FB at least has that.

This. Almost everyone I know has FB and I am the only one that uses LJ.....
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#15 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

View Postexcel excel, on 07 July 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

Google+ give me some kind of privacy and the fact I can choose who I want to talk to about certain things is a plus. If I want to talk about cosplay, I have a cosplay circle, for anime I have an anime circle. You have the freedom to be creative and just have a good time.

When Facebook started talking about groups, this is how I wanted it to be implemented. Groups are okay too, but I want to be able to organize my friends by general categories, and Facebook doesn't have a good way to do that. Let's say, I wanna share something with my ACen friends, but don't want my work friends to see them. I could create a personal ACen group and invite all my friends to it, or I could go through the post and pick each and every individual person I want to see it through the normal wall post procedures. It's clunky and a total waste of time and effort. I need a feature like that because I'd prefer that some of the stuff not easily get out to some of my coworkers who may or may not understand the otaku lifestyle.

#16 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:53 AM

Im enjoying G+ because of what I can censor from you guys =D and other people.
Had FB before Myspace was even popular and when when the fad moved there I just kinda migrated =\
FB really does suck I mean check out the new chat feature that still works like "tarter sauce"
So with any A-du Im on there somewhere where people add me to their Circumference, and watch the stupid things I post =D
Im just tossing words in here because its so dead TwT

and This
and This

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 11 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#17 User is offline   *McManray* 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 26939

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

I suppose it will be slow change for me between facebook and google+. The only reason I have facebook is so that I can communicate with a handful of people despite the couple hundred friends I supposably have. That's he real thing that will be difficult because google+ just won't be something I can use if the people I communicate with don't use it as well.
ACen 2014 // Dr. Krieger's Virtual Girlfriend
ACen 2011 // Utena Tenjou // Elsea de Lute Irma // Yuki Talho
ACen 2010 // Cécile Croomy // Ritsuko Akagi // Melfina
ACen 2009 // Officer Jenny
ACen 2008 // Speed Racer // Anju Maaka

#18 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Google+ gives me the ability to add people into multiple circles. If they would let me view those circles in the form of a venn diagram, I would never go back to facebook again...Google, you need to get on this now...
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#19 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:12 AM

DId you people not learn anyting from Summer Wars???? Your shouldnt have everything in the same place!!! XD
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#20 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

View PostKeans, on 11 July 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

DId you people not learn anyting from Summer Wars???? Your shouldnt have everything in the same place!!! XD

Oh if only I had a +1 for that lol.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#21 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

Indeed. I got into the Google+ beta and while it's nice.....I don't know. It feels like it's missing something. Maybe because it's still in beta and not all my friends are using it
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#22 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

Do what I do, I tell them you have a G+ account and tell them to send me a PM via facebook or twitter. I got 60 of my friends on here. Granted its not gonna be as big as FB but I am enjoying it so far :)Now my parents dont have to see my crazy posts or pics.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#23 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

View PostKeans, on 11 July 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

It's fine, I know how to play Koi-Koi. (Not really, but I do have the cards that I got from Club Nintendo, and it has rules for how to play Koi-Koi.)

#24 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

I want in on Google+, ya'll.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#25 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

:3 give one of us your gmail so we can invite you Kii
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#26 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

as of so far with Google+ i like the android app the most out of the whole deal :x
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

#27 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

i got a question to those with G+
can you turn it off or go away from it
there are large parts of my day
when i dont want to be poked by ppl
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#28 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

View PostMillions_Knives, on 12 July 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

i got a question to those with G+
can you turn it off or go away from it
there are large parts of my day
when i dont want to be poked by ppl

*pooooooooooooooke*
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#29 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

OOOOOOOOOO! Google+. I'd really like to try it out it sounds awesome. And not really super hard to use. Someone maybe send me an invite if I give my email to them? :3

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 12 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#30 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

you would have to give a said person the email you would like to use for it. i my self use my gmail for google+ but seemingly you can use any email for it :x
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users