Anime Central Forums: Happy 20th Birthday to Sonic the Hedgehog! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Happy 20th Birthday to Sonic the Hedgehog!

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

http://www.pcworld.c..._your_life.html

In my opinion, Sonic is one of the greatest video game characters ever made. I was a big Mario fan until Sonic came out. With the exception of 32X I picked up almost every Sonic game and every Sega system just to play the Sonic games. I was also a big collector of the Sonic comics I bought all the issues from No. 0 to No. 53, though I do go back and buy a comic or at least read one at the stores to see how it's progressed. You can't forget about the cartoons either. Admittedly, they games did start getting kind of crappy after the release of Sonic Adventure 2 (Sonic Heroes was "okay" but games like Sonic Shuffle and Shadow the Hedgehog were pretty bad.)

So what do you like most about the Sonic phenomenon? What are some of your favorite games? Personally my favorite are Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles (does that count as two?), and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Also if you're interested in Sonic Generations, a demo of the game will be out on PS Network and Xbox Live Arcade tomorrow!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Happy birthday Sonic! :present_smilie: :balloons: :happybday:

I liked all the ones on Sega Genesis. And actually I was pretty into those racing games Sonic Riders. XD I think Sonic is so super cool. :)
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#3 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

I used to be a huuuuuuge Sonic fan. I remember going with my mom to the Toys R Us February 2, 1994 on Hedgehog Day (a.k.a. the release date for Sonic 3) to get an early birthday present. Still one of my favorite games ever. I sort of fell off after the Genesis (and yes, the 32x) since I didn't get any more Sega consoles after that (at that point I shifted to Sony consoles), but I still have a huge nostalgic love for the series.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#4 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Ah, it is good to see Sonic has weathered the storm and managed to stick around. My favorite still happens to be Sonic CD (and still have it).

#5 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 June 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Happy birthday Sonic! :present_smilie: :balloons: :happybday: I liked all the ones on Sega Genesis. And actually I was pretty into those racing games Sonic Riders. XD I think Sonic is so super cool. :)

The Genesis games are always classic! I honestly have never played Sonic Riders, I wasn't too sure if I would like it, but maybe I'll give it a shot. I heard the game for Xbox Kinect is supposed to be real fun.

View Postwrexness, on 23 June 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

I used to be a huuuuuuge Sonic fan. I remember going with my mom to the Toys R Us February 2, 1994 on Hedgehog Day (a.k.a. the release date for Sonic 3) to get an early birthday present. Still one of my favorite games ever. I sort of fell off after the Genesis (and yes, the 32x) since I didn't get any more Sega consoles after that (at that point I shifted to Sony consoles), but I still have a huge nostalgic love for the series.

I own a Sega Saturn now because a friend of mine bought one in the past and I bought it from him. Back then though I was getting ready to buy Saturn because I wanted to buy Sonic X-Treme but then they canned it in favor of the releases of NiGHTs and Sonic 3D Blast. I was disappointed and asked for/received a Nintendo 64 for Christmas. I bought the Dreamcast after it was discontinued because I bought Sonic Adventure and many other games for real cheap.

View Postrondo, on 23 June 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

Ah, it is good to see Sonic has weathered the storm and managed to stick around. My favorite still happens to be Sonic CD (and still have it).

Nice, do you have it on Sega CD or PC? I had a Sega CD back then and LOVED Sonic CD!

By the way, have any of you played the Sonic Generations demo? I'm waiting for the PlayStation Network to load it up and Microsoft has it up but you need to have a Live Gold account to demo it.
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Yup, I still have it on Sega CD and my 1st gen tray loader. Still works too.

View PostSTVO, on 23 June 2011 - 10:29 AM, said:

Nice, do you have it on Sega CD or PC? I had a Sega CD back then and LOVED Sonic CD!

By the way, have any of you played the Sonic Generations demo? I'm waiting for the PlayStation Network to load it up and Microsoft has it up but you need to have a Live Gold account to demo it.

#7 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

*Remembers that Mario was 25 last year*

*Suddenly feels old*

Favorites: Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic 3 with Knuckles locked on, Sonic CD (OMG I beat it once LOL,) Sonic colors, Tails' Adventure games, Sonic Crackers (Wut) many of the portable Sonic games like Sonic battle but not the crossovers like Sonic and Mario.

I didn't....enjoy Sonic Adventures like a lot of Sonic fans due to how it suddenly became....weird after Shadow and Rogue came out. Everything from side story games to 'too much hentai' on Rogue's part. Actually....I didn't like how most of the characters turned out after Sonic adventure. Sonic really didn't have a determined age (he's 15-16 now?) and neither did the other cast (Tails is 10, Amy is 12, etc. etc.) so we just basically guessed and have fun until Sega slapped this on us.

Oh and don't mention Sonic 2000ish game that came out a bit after this series.

I actually had Sonic and Knuckles and remember when Sonic 3 was 50-60 dollars back then. I wanted bought but I couldn't have both. :lol: The only good thing about being an adult! I can buy whatever video games I want now!
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#8 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 23 June 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

*Remembers that Mario was 25 last year*

*Suddenly feels old*

Favorites: Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic 3 with Knuckles locked on, Sonic CD (OMG I beat it once LOL,) Sonic colors, Tails' Adventure games, Sonic Crackers (Wut) many of the portable Sonic games like Sonic battle but not the crossovers like Sonic and Mario.

I didn't....enjoy Sonic Adventures like a lot of Sonic fans due to how it suddenly became....weird after Shadow and Rogue came out. Everything from side story games to 'too much hentai' on Rogue's part. Actually....I didn't like how most of the characters turned out after Sonic adventure. Sonic really didn't have a determined age (he's 15-16 now?) and neither did the other cast (Tails is 10, Amy is 12, etc. etc.) so we just basically guessed and have fun until Sega slapped this on us.

Oh and don't mention Sonic 2000ish game that came out a bit after this series.

I actually had Sonic and Knuckles and remember when Sonic 3 was 50-60 dollars back then. I wanted bought but I couldn't have both. :lol: The only good thing about being an adult! I can buy whatever video games I want now!

LOL, I played Sonic Crackers. The prototype for Sonic 4 which ended up being used for the 32X game Knuckles' Chaotix. It's an okay concept but not quite the Sonic style game I was hoping for. I did like the idea of keeping Sonic and Tails on the screen together (or in the case of Chaotix, Knuckles and friends) together at the same time. Tails' Adventure was fun but very hard, never got around to beating it. The only Sonic and Mario crossover I have liked in Smash Bros, I don't care for any of the Olympic games. :P I still need to play Sonic Colors, I've heard nothing but awesome stuff on it. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 is very fun too.

I was fine with Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 as I was like "Okay, this is the start of the series, once Sega gets into the 3D groove it will be awesome!" Heroes, Shadow, and Sonic 2K came after that though. :( Going by the comics, Sonic always appeared to be 15 years old but I've lost track by now. :unsure: :prepares for Super Sonic nerd rant: The biggest thing I hated from the Sonic Adventure games is that for the American games, they decided to go by the Japanese way of story lines by having Sonic games set on Earth instead of Mobius with more human characters being added. Normally I don't like when the original creator's vision is changed, but in this case I wished that Yuji Naka would just back off because I always preferred the American version of Sonic stuff over his way. Dr. Robotnik was renamed Dr. Eggman (hate that name!) I like Shadow being a bad guy but I didn't like what they did with his game or how he's overshadowing Knuckles more in the most recent games. Then came all the ridiculously useless characters like Cream the Bunny, Big the Cat, Silver the Hedgehog, the Chao, and a lot more I don't feel like adding.

Sega seems to be back on the right track now. I played the Sonic Generations demo just now for PlayStation 3, it was alright. The game is supposed to have both 2D and 3D platforming and you play as both Classic Sonic (the shorter, black eyed hedgehog) and modern Sonic (the taller, slimmer, and Green-eyed version most of today's kids know of.) Right now the only level they let you sample is the classic Green Hill Zone where you play as Classic Sonic. The graphics are beautiful, the music used is pretty much the Green Hill song from Sonic 1 (it didn't really feel remastered to me), but the level size is gigantic (the surrounding not the level so much itself.) It features all the enemies you remember from the original game. My biggest complaint for right now is that the movement felt a little jerky. Like when I jumped with Sonic, it felt like he had boulder weights attached to his ankles as you feel like you should be jumping a little higher. The speed is fast but something with the movement just doesn't feel right. Hopefully more adjustments will be made when it launches this year.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#9 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

I definitely remember 1991 through 1993, when I knew that I really liked SNES software, but those first three Sonic games were awfully tempting. Was eventually able to rent a 16-bit Sega system and a couple carts in order to satisfy my interest. It was a few more years before Genesis software and hardware went on clearance, and I could finally afford a few used games.

Haven't paid much attention to Sonic games since '95. But I'm sure that Sturgeon's Law is true, and about ten percent of them are worth playing.

#10 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Good ol Sonic. He was my childhood. I was pretty much obsessed with Sonic in elementary school. Sonic 3 is my favorite Sonic game. I can't wait for the new sonic to release. A mix of the old 2-D Sonic, with the new 3-D sonic (literally) game looks really amazing so far.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#11 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

I played the demo for the new one... and while at least the 2D part seems promising, was I the only one who actually got a bit disoriented playing it?

#12 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

View Postwrexness, on 24 June 2011 - 11:13 AM, said:

I played the demo for the new one... and while at least the 2D part seems promising, was I the only one who actually got a bit disoriented playing it?

I'm kinda like this too but....I might buy this still. Just to say that 'Well I was around when Sonic was still in 2d!' :lol:

STVO: It's impossible for me to find Sonic 3 and Knuckles outside of the DS lite game (which has weird controls and no 2 player mode,) or an emulator. The Sega collection for PS3 for some reason does not have it. *mumbles about Alter beast* I think I managed to get all the chaos emeralds once in my whole life in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, along with all the time stones in Sonic CD (which took FOREVER.) Sonic 1 and 2 was easy *waves hand* and I still remember the debug codes/level codes for both of them: 19, 65, 9, and 17.

Curious has anyone else managed to get all the chaos emeralds without having to use a guide or your sibling/friend/cousin to help you out and which games? (or all of them?)
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#13 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

I pwned Sonic 3 and its Chaos Emeralds. Sonic 2 I believe I did but I'm not certain about. Didn't really play Sonic beyond that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users