• This topic is locked

Taste of Chicago Who is going and when?

#1 User is offline   Goddess Astra 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 2935

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

I know, i know...i have fallen off the face of the earth but maybe i can change things..who knows..

I know i am going to the taste of chicago saturday....since i found out i have the day off. this will be my first year ever going. I know it's expensive and crowded but i am dying to go! Soul Asylum is playing...never heard their music before but the fiance says they are good.

is anyone else going saturday or any other day?
OMG OMG OMG SAILOR MOON MANGA AND CODE NAME SAILOR V BEING RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER! O_____O
I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but at least I am a crayon!
Arts:
http://goddess-astra.deviantart.com/
Bloggings:
http://goddessastra.livejournal.com/ -

Ai to seegi no, seera fuku bishoujo senshi! SEERAAAA MUUUUUN! Tsuki ni kawatte! Oshoiki yo!

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

I was going to go, but I've gone many years before but for me, it's kind of died for me. Since they cut so many booths since the economic hardship, and raised all their prices, I feel the last years I've been going to the same places and not enjoying it as much when there was more options and when it was cheaper. But I decided not to.
But if it's your first time, I'd recommend going! It's a great experience for sure, make sure you go hungry. XD It IS really fun, but I've done it so many times when there were about 70 booths and now I just don't feel it anymore. But you will have fun, I guarantee it. Who doesn't have fun eating tons of food? :D But if you do go, I'd recommend bringing your own drinks. You don't want to waste like 4 tickets you could have used for yummy food buying a bottle of water. Bring your own! ^_^ Bring a LOT. It gets sooooooooooooooo hot there. And make sure to get a breaded steak sandwich from Ricobene's. It's sooo darn good!!! :D
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#3 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

Taste of Chicago is very good but can get pricey. For a first time experience though, you definitely should go! Like Motoko said, bring your own drinks and bring lots of money. One big piece of advice is, try to mostly go for places you have never been before. Honestly, I find it a waste to use my tickets for a place I see very often like Lou Malnati's or any other chains, this is just my opinion though.

Edit: Originally said "bring lots of food" instead "bring lots of money", unless you want to go on a food binge, lol.

This post has been edited by STVO: 22 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#4 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Like the folks above me said - it is a little pricey. Samples often cost 2-5 tickets which is a crazy amount/

But it is pretty fun and I've loved the food since I was young. It's a great time to spend time with friends, eat good food and get some walking in. Just make sure that you come wearing sunscreen and that you get water after getting all that food. Since the Taste is held outdoors on a street with no shade, you bake...fast.

My suggestion on food - the deep fried ravioli. Yuuuuuummmy.
There was also a corn on the cob booth, a chicken and waffles booth, and the dominicks booth has fresh fruit.

As for attending with you - no idea. I always miss out on the preorder tickets (think I did again) plus I have strange work hours so I might not be going this year.

This post has been edited by CrimsonAnime: 22 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#5 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 June 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

I was going to go, but I've gone many years before but for me, it's kind of died for me. Since they cut so many booths since the economic hardship, and raised all their prices, I feel the last years I've been going to the same places and not enjoying it as much when there was more options and when it was cheaper. But I decided not to.
But if it's your first time, I'd recommend going! It's a great experience for sure, make sure you go hungry. XD It IS really fun, but I've done it so many times when there were about 70 booths and now I just don't feel it anymore. But you will have fun, I guarantee it. Who doesn't have fun eating tons of food? :D But if you do go, I'd recommend bringing your own drinks. You don't want to waste like 4 tickets you could have used for yummy food buying a bottle of water. Bring your own! ^_^ Bring a LOT. It gets sooooooooooooooo hot there. And make sure to get a breaded steak sandwich from Ricobene's. It's sooo darn good!!! :D

This is how I feel about the taste. Have a barbecue and go to the beach. Its a hell of a lot cheaper and you'll get more food. ;D
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#6 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostSTVO, on 22 June 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Taste of Chicago is very good but can get pricey. For a first time experience though, you definitely should go! Like Motoko said, bring your own drinks and bring lots of food. One big piece of advice is, try to mostly go for places you have never been before. Honestly, I find it a waste to use my tickets for a place I see very often like Lou Malnati's or any other chains, this is just my opinion though.

Yeah never waste your tickets on stuff that you've seen before. Like Connie's pizza? Yeah you can buy that frozen, don't get that if you go. I know there's a place where you can get crayfish (which I ALWAYS get--got it the first year they came there and LOVED it) because i never ever see that. But it can get pricey, and I noticed this year the samples (they'll usually let you have like a smaller portion of their food for less tickets. Rainbow cone does this by giving you their rainbow icecream in a cup instead of a cone) but most of the samples are not even what is one the menu that year! I remember one restaurant was giving out a fruit cup for a taste--and it wasn't Dominick's and it wasn't on the restaurant's menu. What the heck! Waaaaaaste of tickets there. So if you do go, spend wisely and if you can get a taste of something you want, get that instead. Don't waste 9 tickets.

Man...I remember the days when samples were 3 tickets, and the "popular stuff" was 6 or 7 tickets and sometimes 5. Seeing 8 or 9 was like WHOOOOOOOA. Now it's the norm >///<.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#7 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

I personally never got why Dominick's was there. I guess sponsorship and to offer cheaper good aka the fruit Motoko and others mentioned. I know some people live in downtown and want to save money or eat healthy but for others, why bother? I'm not going to drive an hour or take a train to get some fruit or Connie's pizza, lol.

Now for some of my favorites: Harry Carray Chips, the place that sells samosas, the ravioli that was mentioned, and almost any of the desserts. If I wasn't saving money for Europe and trying to lose weight, I would go come to think of it! If you're not a picky eater, be experimental and try any of the international places. Most of them are good!
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#8 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

Going to the Taste of Chicago on a weekend is MADNESS. Crowds, crowds, and more crowds. You'll need a lot of patience and energy. Bring comfortable shoes, at least one bottle of water, sunblock, and something comfortable to help you sit down at some concerts. Also, watch your wallet. If you use Metra trains to get in and out of downtown Chicago, then please keep in mind that they will be packed. (I dunno how bad the parking and CTA situations are.)

That said, I have gone to the Taste of Chicago at least once per year, and I enjoy it *if* I take it slow. Also, I usually attend only on Monday-Thursday after work.

#9 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 22 June 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

Going to the Taste of Chicago on a weekend is MADNESS. Crowds, crowds, and more crowds. You'll need a lot of patience and energy. Bring comfortable shoes, at least one bottle of water, sunblock, and something comfortable to help you sit down at some concerts. Also, watch your wallet. If you use Metra trains to get in and out of downtown Chicago, then please keep in mind that they will be packed. (I dunno how bad the parking and CTA situations are.)

That said, I have gone to the Taste of Chicago at least once per year, and I enjoy it *if* I take it slow. Also, I usually attend only on Monday-Thursday after work.

QFT. Unless you live near the city and work Monday-Friday, I also recommend going on a weekday preferably earlier in the day. That is when the least amount of crowds are there. It picks up around 12 PM but compared to the weekends, it's not bad at all.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#10 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

View PostSTVO, on 22 June 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

QFT. Unless you live near the city and work Monday-Friday, I also recommend going on a weekday preferably earlier in the day. That is when the least amount of crowds are there. It picks up around 12 PM but compared to the weekends, it's not bad at all.

Yeah go early in the day. Because at night, it gets a little.....scary. Yeah...... O.o

#11 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 June 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

Yeah never waste your tickets on stuff that you've seen before. Like Connie's pizza? Yeah you can buy that frozen, don't get that if you go. I know there's a place where you can get crayfish (which I ALWAYS get--got it the first year they came there and LOVED it) because i never ever see that. But it can get pricey, and I noticed this year the samples (they'll usually let you have like a smaller portion of their food for less tickets. Rainbow cone does this by giving you their rainbow icecream in a cup instead of a cone) but most of the samples are not even what is one the menu that year! I remember one restaurant was giving out a fruit cup for a taste--and it wasn't Dominick's and it wasn't on the restaurant's menu. What the heck! Waaaaaaste of tickets there. So if you do go, spend wisely and if you can get a taste of something you want, get that instead. Don't waste 9 tickets.

Man...I remember the days when samples were 3 tickets, and the "popular stuff" was 6 or 7 tickets and sometimes 5. Seeing 8 or 9 was like WHOOOOOOOA. Now it's the norm >///<.

If y'all get me the flour, yeast, condiments, cheese and whatnot, ill make you as many pizzas as you want. :3 ON A BARBECUE GRILL! Connie's ain't that great anyway.

#12 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

I usually like to go... during my lunch break xD

I also wonder how many shootings/stabbings will happen this year. The taste isn't complete without it's annual stabbing.
~~

#13 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

View Postredx1, on 27 June 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

I usually like to go... during my lunch break xD

I also wonder how many shootings/stabbings will happen this year. The taste isn't complete without it's annual stabbing.

I haven't gone in like 2 or 3 years. I've never seen anything bad happen at a Taste.

#14 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

I remember hearing of one shooting in 2006 and a few others after but fortunately nothing happened while I was there in 2006-2010. Most of the time when it happens from what I've heard is late at night.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#15 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

In all my years living in Mundelein (going on 17), I have never been to the Taste. Ever. Then again, in all these years, I've only visited the city itself a handful of times, too - I hate driving through the city to begin with, and I'm still a newbie with the trains.

I'd almost go to the Taste this year, but since I'm dieting, I really don't want to wreck myself in just one day. And the money I spend on tickets could probably buy me a week or two's worth of groceries, lol
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users