• This topic is locked

Glomping. Make it a no-no. i actually fear for my well being

#31 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Forgive me if this seems out of place, but tackling a complete stranger from ambush doesn't seem right. It seems a lot closer to assault and battery, honestly.

Suggesting that potential targets of this carry signs to attempt to ward this off sounds like, well, blaming the victim.

I'd really like it if we could get out of that mindset, and not hug anyone who you haven't spoken to and you have permission to hug, let alone knocking down strangers and damaging their property.

Is that really so much to ask?
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#32 User is offline   pc1971 

• ADA Compliance Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3741

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

View PostJawdyBawdy, on 20 June 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

*munch*

advice? help? anything! D:

hire me as a personal wall. :thumbup: i work cheap.

people really need to be a bit more respectful, con is no excuse to act like an idiot, especially if said idiocy can hurt someone else.
--
staff history
staff services: 1998, 2006, 2008, 2010-2013
ada compliance: 2014, 2015
i am the keeper of the cheesecake....

#33 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

I see no reason why we shouldn't ban Glomping. It is considered Battery and even assault if you are caring what could be considered a weapon. Which if I may point out is illegal, but it seems we need to tell people that. Posted Image
I am all for banning Glomping, 100%. If Yaoi Paddles are considered "weapons" and IRT expects you to follow live steel policies with them, Glomping should be banned without an argument.
That is my two cents though, take it for what you will.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#34 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostInkwell09, on 04 August 2011 - 11:57 PM, said:

I was a glomper last year, but not a careless one. I was wearing heels anyway, so I couldn't move very quickly. (I was Grell Sutcliffe.) I didn't have any incidents with my "glomp-ees" getting injured or upset, but I think there should be a "glomping code of conduct."
(here's a rough idea) GLOMPERS:
~you must announce in someway that you are coming towards someone. (I always called out "Sebastian" and made sure they saw me before I started moving in.)Ambush glomps can cause the most damage.
~You must give the other person time to brace themselves, if they are not carrying heavy props or in a fragile costume. (ie, don't start running* unless they've stopped and can easily see you coming towards them.)
~If they are carrying props, don't even attempt the glomp. Just walk up with you arms out saying "hug?" (or something to that effect. This tactic is perfect for Hetalia cosplayers who are carrying flags).
*~If you are going to run towards someone, make sure they are BIGGER THAN YOU. Don't glomp someone who is shorter and weighs less, it's risky, and just not worth it. (I only used the running start to attack male Sebastians.)
*~Also, if you are going to run to someone, don't run further than 7-8 feet MAX. One, it's not the smartest idea to run in a crowded area; two, you want to be able to slow down before impact to reduce the shock; three, you're not competing for the distance jump, so there's no point in backing up that far anyway. (and make sure you have a CLEAR path to the person AND that they aren't posing for a photograph. Try to stay to the side of a crowd if you are going to do this, and yell out "excuse me please!" if you need to. People may still be annoyed, but not so much if you just plow through them without any warning.)
(Last thing, i promise)
~*If you are still bent on running to someone, and they are smaller than you, don't even run, just power walk and pick up your feet a little. (Again, there's no point in running in a crowded room where you could accidentally run into someone around a corner (etc.) and cause them harm. (it sounds super lame, but it's polite.) And in any case with running, don't go into an all out sprint. Pick up a little speed (like jogging), but start to slow down at least 3 feet before impact! You don't want to squish them do you? (it's hard to hug a pancake...)And of course, in all cases, follow the first 'rule;' in some way or another, let the person know you are moving towards them, and make sure they are prepared and braced for you to glomp them. That's just courtesy, and the element of suprise isn't so great for the people on the recieving end sometimes.

I was victim to one running glomp last year. the kid attacked me from about 20 feet away, and it was a full on run the whole time. The kid DID give notice that he was coming for me, but I couldn't brace myself in time, so i stumbled back about 5 feet after the kid plowed into me. (and after that, the kid decided it was a great idea to swing me back and forth while hugging me. [not pleasant when you're recovering from impact.]) In truth, I wouldn't have minded the glomp if I had been better prepared and the kid didn't have a 20 foot headstart...

not sure if this helps, but I tried :)

(also, in regards to me, I'm about 5'7" and about 135, but I do topple easily [very clumsy], and I have a friend who is only 5'00" and 110 lbs...so I've seen how glomping can be dangerous for someone who is more "petite." She was Near our first ACEN, and she was getting attacked quite a bit. She was never hurt, but she got pretty annoyed after a while. And I've also been ambush glomped by a group of cosplayers back in 2010. They didn't run at me, but I got sucked into a group of about six or seven people that kept moving, and dragged me with them.) (But, at the same time, I think if "glomping" is done with some restrictions, and common courtesy in mind, it can be much less harmful, and more fun, like it's intended to be.)

I don't see anything in here about backing off if someone makes it clear they don't want to be glomped, or even asking for permission. If you're running at them or moving toward them quickly, you're not giving them a chance to tell you no. Some people may not even realize what you're up to even after you give them "notice" by saying their name. I mean, that in itself isn't very clear. They may just think you want a photo or like their cosplay, and then BAM. Unwanted physical contact.
Rawr. ♥

#35 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

I thought about making a panel about what to do in situations like this.

It's uhhh in the panel/programming thingie.

From what I seen from forums and imageboards, this is a serious issue in anime cons and cons in general.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#36 User is offline   Inkwell09 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60472

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

View PostKokoro, on 26 August 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

I don't see anything in here about backing off if someone makes it clear they don't want to be glomped, or even asking for permission. If you're running at them or moving toward them quickly, you're not giving them a chance to tell you no. Some people may not even realize what you're up to even after you give them "notice" by saying their name. I mean, that in itself isn't very clear. They may just think you want a photo or like their cosplay, and then BAM. Unwanted physical contact.

(this is an idea for "glomping code of conduct," for those who are completely bent on glomping no matter what; obviously if someone wants to avoid physical contact, then it can't always be helped [not enforcing glomping, but some people just won't pay attention before "going in."]) In essence, this is an idea for a "glomping reform," or a step towards it (if glomping canat all be reformed. I'm not the biggest fan of it either, but I won't deny past actions.)

Also, that gave me an odd, but perhaps possible idea, if the kinks could be worked out...due to the rule against carrying signs, what if there was someway to identify those that don't want to be glomped with some sort of sticker? (it's not a sign, and can be easily removed.) I'm not sure how someone would go about designing/making/distributing/or circulating to convention-goes the meaning of the sticker (or those wearing it) but it's an idea. <shrugs and sips on hot chocolate>
[font="Book Antiqua"] ACen 2014 Cosplays
--Gintoki (Gintama)****MAYBE
--Rin (Free!)
--Mink (DMMD)
--SURPRISE NOSTALGIC COSPLAY

#37 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:32 AM

View PostInkwell09, on 26 August 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

Also, that gave me an odd, but perhaps possible idea, if the kinks could be worked out...due to the rule against carrying signs, what if there was someway to identify those that don't want to be glomped with some sort of sticker? (it's not a sign, and can be easily removed.) I'm not sure how someone would go about designing/making/distributing/or circulating to convention-goes the meaning of the sticker (or those wearing it) but it's an idea. <shrugs and sips on hot chocolate>

...Blaming the victim.

Seriously, don't go around charging at and grappling people without their permission. Is it really that much to ask?

Especially given that if someone who's "glomped" complains to the police, that's assault and battery?
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#38 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

View PostUnka Josh, on 27 August 2011 - 03:32 AM, said:

...Blaming the victim.

Seriously, don't go around charging at and grappling people without their permission. Is it really that much to ask?

Especially given that if someone who's "glomped" complains to the police, that's assault and battery?

Oh everyone in this thread knows about that, we are just discussing the issue that people still do it regardless and what counter measures we can do about it. Nobody in this thread glomps or tackles anyone in the manner stated

Because of the situation, it's hard to get the person's badge or nametag to really report them. A person who ends up being 'glomped' is really disorienated and not thinking clearing because of the impact and shock of it all. If you ever been tackled to the ground by someone (like myself,) then you would know how this feels.

The reason why people do it is the same reason why people still drink/smoke in hotel rooms and cram into elevators at the Hyatt, just because they want to and can. And since some people like traveling alone, the glomping issue is a major thing at anime cons. There was a big issue with glomping and tackling this year at Acen along with the sign issue (where people's excuses was that it was the end of the world so they could do whatever they want, including use signs at Acen.)

Now I'm not blaming the victims myself, I just wish people were more aware and respectful of other people. For the people that are not, it was mostly a discussion on how to help these people in question.

Oh and the reason why I didn't report the people with signs/glomping this year? I couldn't find the glomping/tackling people in question (because I was 1) tired, and 2) Shocked that it even happened with my friend,) and there would be no way, unless you actually hold them down which is also a terms of assault, to really bring the said person to the IRT. Usually if someone does something bad or wrong what's the first thing they do? Run away. By the time you realize what has happened, they are long gone and you barely have a description or badge name, especially if they don't even cosplay in the first place. That is what happened in both situations in terms of the tackling/glomping.

The people with signs didn't have their badges out, so unless I have a badge name, reporting to the IRT would have been pointless (I did before and they off put me in such a matter, so I didn't bother reporting to IRT after that.)

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 27 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#39 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

I don't know if this says something about me or not...but I've been coming to ACen since 1998...and I have never once been glomped. Not once. Perhaps it's because I am not small and cute. Perhaps it's because I give off the "stay the hell away from me" aura. And also in all that time, I have never SEEN a glomping occur. That's 14 years of con going. Maybe I'm just not looking for it. While I'm not saying smaller, cuter girls are asking for it...I am saying that there are precautions that can be took.

Remember when you were little kids? You had the buddy system? I think people in general will be less willing to suddenly jump and attack some cute little cosplayer if they have a freind or three with them. Plus this. No means no.
2015 Cosplay
Mondo Oowada - DanganRonpa
Tsukishima Kei - Haikyuu
Atobe Keigo - Prince of Tennis
Mankanshoku Mako - Kill la Kill if it gets done on time

#40 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 03 September 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

...and I have never once been glomped. Not once. Perhaps it's because I am not small and cute. Perhaps it's because I give off the "stay the hell away from me" aura. And also in all that time, I have never SEEN a glomping occur.

You probably haven't cosplayed a series that is super popular Or has a large crazy fan girl/boy following.

Stick around someone dressed up as a Black Butler or Hetalia and you will see plenty.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#41 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Actually, I was in Hetalia Cosplay last year...

However, that is a point.

Though, for those who are serial glompees...perhaps it's time to take stock of the situation and ask youself these questions.

1: When do I get glomped? It is at a photoshoot? Before or after a rave? Between certain events? Random?
2: Where does this take place? Perhaps it is an area better off avoided if you are constantly being attacked there.
3: Who is with you at the time? Are you alone? Is it in a group?
4: Do you know your glomper? Or is it some random stranger.
5: What are you wearing? Not blaming the victem and saying you ask for it by wearing certain items, but certain things are indeed more glomp worthy than others, as previous stated.

Basically, ask these questions and probably a few more. Because really, there are ways to make yourself not be a victem. Like walking with a purpose like you have somewhere to be. Not stopping when the name of your character is called until you can arrive at a safer place. Traveling with a buddy.

While I will reitirate that I've never seen it, evidently it does happen. And since glompers aren't going to change, it's up the the glompees to do what they can to make themselves less of a target.
2015 Cosplay
Mondo Oowada - DanganRonpa
Tsukishima Kei - Haikyuu
Atobe Keigo - Prince of Tennis
Mankanshoku Mako - Kill la Kill if it gets done on time

#42 User is offline   Catmato 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60585

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

I don't see why anyone would accept this. If some stranger tackles you, punch them in the face. They have no right to assault you and you have every right to defend yourself.

#43 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

View PostKokoro, on 21 June 2011 - 08:36 AM, said:

Glomping SHOULD be against the rules. Period. Many people see it as a form of physical assault.

It just seems ridiculous to me that they have to put that in the rule book. That's like saying, Ok everyone, no physically harming people, stealing, doing illegal activity, etc...

And you people are so funny. Someone glomps you and your reaction is to use violence which if you did involve the police, you would be just as much to blame as the person who "glomped you" and I can just imagine the cops reaction to someone pointing fingers and saying that you were "glomped".

Just have common sense. You can have a rule book that is a billion pages long with as many rules as you want and people will still break them. Don't just complain about it, do something that won't put yourself in more danger. If someone physically attacks you, it is not a "glomp", it is assault. I've cosplayed as Faye Valentine from CB and Lust from FMA when it was really popular and I've never been glomped. I've had some close calls but I'm well aware of my surroundings. I see them wide eyed and running for me and I yell at them to STOP and think fast because I'll call the cops if they touch me. Be aware of what is going on. I'm not really blaming the people who are assaulted, but it kind of is their fault. I agree with the statement that you should not be so much of a target. Go in groups of friends. Don't be left alone. Act how you would if you went into a big city. Just because it is in a hotel/convention center it doesn't mean you are completely safe.

Edity-OtakuAngelD- I'm in the same boat. I've been an Acen attendee for quite some time and I've never actually witnessed a real glomp. I've seen people politely ask for hugs and photos...but a few years ago I have noticed more and more immaturity going on with newcomers to the Acen community.

This post has been edited by schläfrig Kätzchen: 03 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#44 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

View Postschläfrig Kätzchen, on 03 December 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

It just seems ridiculous to me that they have to put that in the rule book. That's like saying, Ok everyone, no physically harming people, stealing, doing illegal activity, etc...

And you people are so funny. Someone glomps you and your reaction is to use violence which if you did involve the police, you would be just as much to blame as the person who "glomped you" and I can just imagine the cops reaction to someone pointing fingers and saying that you were "glomped".

Just have common sense. You can have a rule book that is a billion pages long with as many rules as you want and people will still break them. Don't just complain about it, do something that won't put yourself in more danger. If someone physically attacks you, it is not a "glomp", it is assault. I've cosplayed as Faye Valentine from CB and Lust from FMA when it was really popular and I've never been glomped. I've had some close calls but I'm well aware of my surroundings. I see them wide eyed and running for me and I yell at them to STOP and think fast because I'll call the cops if they touch me. Be aware of what is going on. I'm not really blaming the people who are assaulted, but it kind of is their fault. I agree with the statement that you should not be so much of a target. Go in groups of friends. Don't be left alone. Act how you would if you went into a big city. Just because it is in a hotel/convention center it doesn't mean you are completely safe.

Edity-OtakuAngelD- I'm in the same boat. I've been an Acen attendee for quite some time and I've never actually witnessed a real glomp. I've seen people politely ask for hugs and photos...but a few years ago I have noticed more and more immaturity going on with newcomers to the Acen community.

About 3 years I was glomped and it resulted in a dislocated shoulder. I was with a group of friends and did not see the glomper coming at me - she came from behind. And you're telling me that this is "kind of" my fault?

True, I suppose. I should have plastic surgery to place eyes in the back of my head.

Blaming someone (even partially) for being injured by a glomper is like blaming a female cosplayer for being groped/sexually assaulted at a con. It's just ridiculous. Being in a group, remaining aware of your surroundings, carrying pepper spray, etc does not guarantee you're safe. And even if you have an attention lapse because you're, say, browsing a vendor's wares or eating lunch, doesn't mean you're "kinda" at fault for how someone takes advantage of your preoccupied state.

"I'm not really blaming the people who are assaulted, but it kind of is their fault. I agree with the statement that you should not be so much of a target."

You know what this sentence reminds me of? People who blame women when they're raped because the woman was walking alone or made herself a target because she was wearing a mini-skirt. Blaming the victim is a dangerous attitude.

Is it ridiculous to have to establish a rule against unwanted and possibly forceful physical contact? Yes. But welcome to the real world, where common sense is quite uncommon.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#45 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 27 January 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

About 3 years I was glomped and it resulted in a dislocated shoulder. I was with a group of friends and did not see the glomper coming at me - she came from behind. And you're telling me that this is "kind of" my fault?

True, I suppose. I should have plastic surgery to place eyes in the back of my head.

Blaming someone (even partially) for being injured by a glomper is like blaming a female cosplayer for being groped/sexually assaulted at a con. It's just ridiculous. Being in a group, remaining aware of your surroundings, carrying pepper spray, etc does not guarantee you're safe. And even if you have an attention lapse because you're, say, browsing a vendor's wares or eating lunch, doesn't mean you're "kinda" at fault for how someone takes advantage of your preoccupied state.

"I'm not really blaming the people who are assaulted, but it kind of is their fault. I agree with the statement that you should not be so much of a target."

You know what this sentence reminds me of? People who blame women when they're raped because the woman was walking alone or made herself a target because she was wearing a mini-skirt. Blaming the victim is a dangerous attitude.

Is it ridiculous to have to establish a rule against unwanted and possibly forceful physical contact? Yes. But welcome to the real world, where common sense is quite uncommon.

I'll take the chance of a dislocated shoulder. Bring on the glomps!

There was one particular event that I thought was totally stupid, though. Some guy was TOTALLY drunk and he picked up this girl at random and put her on his shoulders. He invariably lost his balance and fell over. She woulda smashed her head on the marble floor if I had not caught her. Now that was totally insane. xD
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#46 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostRamza Beoulve, on 23 April 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

I'll take the chance of a dislocated shoulder. Bring on the glomps!

Just keep in mind that if you are the glomper, many people don't want that kind of attention. If some random person at the convention did that to me and dislocated my shoulder, I would be pressing charges for assault and battery.
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Use code NEWYEARS by January 10 to get 15% off! Min $15 order for discount~
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com

#47 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostSapphy, on 24 April 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

Just keep in mind that if you are the glomper, many people don't want that kind of attention. If some random person at the convention did that to me and dislocated my shoulder, I would be pressing charges for assault and battery.

One, I didn't say I would. I said anyone could glomp me; two, I'm more forgiving than most people.

This post has been edited by Ramza Beoulve: 24 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

#48 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostRamza Beoulve, on 24 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

One, I didn't say I would. I said anyone could glomp me; two, I'm more forgiving than most people.

I didn't mean to imply you specifically; it was more using your quote to reply in a general fashion.
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Use code NEWYEARS by January 10 to get 15% off! Min $15 order for discount~
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com

#49 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostSapphy, on 24 April 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

I didn't mean to imply you specifically; it was more using your quote to reply in a general fashion.

Gotcha! ;)

#50 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

If anyone decides to glomp me this year (unless I know you personally) be forewarned:

1. I am on crutches because one of my knees' ligaments is as thin as a piece of paper.
2. If you snap my ligament, congrats, your wallet is my new health insurance.
3. I've taken personal defense classes.
4. I'm holding 2 4.5' weapons.

Any questions as to where I stand on this issue? good.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#51 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

View Postmyrla, on 24 April 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

If anyone decides to glomp me this year (unless I know you personally) be forewarned:

1. I am on crutches because one of my knees' ligaments is as thin as a piece of paper.

Agreed on all points, and well said! (Though I'll only have one ~42" scaled Master Sword and Mirror Shield on me if I finish my Kokiri tunic 2.0, lol.)

I'm on a bad back with injured Achilles tendon(itus?), so being tackled to the ground and having my clothes ripped again like in past years/costumes will not make me a happy camper. At the VERY least, anyone who tries this on me and takes me down is getting reported to IRT/RPD minimally for unwanted touching and tackling me down (otherly known as assault & battery in grown-up land). Really, people, don't touch others without their permission (& wincing, cringing, and trying to flee in terror is not granted permission, btw). It's not that hard to grasp, really: no touchy. Honestly, we all learned that by kindergarten/1st grade.... :/
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#52 User is offline   Alchemyempress 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17674

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

With the con just days away I want to voice my opinion on the glomps. I for one dont' mind being glomped. If it works out for both parties I'd say go for it. Some characters from the same show usually can be expected to glomp or be glomped (ex Kikuaru Eiji to Ryoma Echizen Prince of tennis or possibly Tamaki Suoh to Haruhi Fujioka Ouran High School Host Club)

If someone doesn't want to be glomped I'd suggest if they can see someone come running toward them might they raise their hands or step to the side. Yes it will result in the glomper to 'crash' but it will also get a point across. I honestly don't think that glomping should be banned. There are a few times when friends who haven't seen each other over months or longer meet at cons and glomps may occur in the small group. If glomping does become banned well...

#53 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

View Postmyrla, on 24 April 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Well, anyone that is insensitive and stupid enough to glomp an injured person, or a person with crutches or a cast...deserves to be beat with said crutches XD

#54 User is offline   Inkwell09 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostRamza Beoulve, on 25 April 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Well, anyone that is insensitive and stupid enough to glomp an injured person, or a person with crutches or a cast...deserves to be beat with said crutches XD

100% agreement. Running and launching yourself at someone is so pathetic, especially when they have OBVIOUSLY sustained an injury. That sort of behavior is beyond immature...it's purely asinine and unnecessary. But regarding the previous post about the "conditions" of the glomp, like the example of two friends who have not seen each other in months and are both equally receptive to the glomp, they can go for it.

Plus...after a while...glomping just gets old. It's fun the first like...two times, then it's just..."okay, whatever. I'm hungry, let's to get some ice cream." (you catch my drift).
(All of this coming from a former glomper.)

Oh, one other point I want to throw in for the heck of it...don't glomp someone wearing high heels. It's already more difficult to balance (even if you are accustomed to wearing heels, it's true on some level), and no one wants to me knocked down-and-out of their shoes because of recklessness. (This happened to me. This is why I quit glomping [with the exception of one friend who is a foot taller than me and totally fine with it.])
--Rin (Free!)
--Mink (DMMD)

#55 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostInkwell09, on 25 April 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

100% agreement. Running and launching yourself at someone is so pathetic, especially when they have OBVIOUSLY sustained an injury. That sort of behavior is beyond immature...it's purely asinine and unnecessary. But regarding the previous post about the "conditions" of the glomp, like the example of two friends who have not seen each other in months and are both equally receptive to the glomp, they can go for it.

Plus...after a while...glomping just gets old. It's fun the first like...two times, then it's just..."okay, whatever. I'm hungry, let's to get some ice cream." (you catch my drift).
(All of this coming from a former glomper.)

Oh, one other point I want to throw in for the heck of it...don't glomp someone wearing high heels. It's already more difficult to balance (even if you are accustomed to wearing heels, it's true on some level), and no one wants to me knocked down-and-out of their shoes because of recklessness. (This happened to me. This is why I quit glomping [with the exception of one friend who is a foot taller than me and totally fine with it.])

:3 Well, I was gonna ask you to glomp me...but I see that's out of the question. *sulks* ^^;

#56 User is offline   Inkwell09 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostRamza Beoulve, on 26 April 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

:3 Well, I was gonna ask you to glomp me...but I see that's out of the question. *sulks* ^^;

As previously stated, there are only a select few who I will glomp. I don't glomp strangers anymore. That's becoming boring and pointless for me.
--Rin (Free!)
--Mink (DMMD)

#57 User is offline   Jadante 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 12483

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

This was one of my friends' first conventions, and she went as Edward Elric. I've been going since 2005, but I've never been glomped before (seeing as how I tend to cosplay non-glompable characters) or really seen it happen, so it was a bit of a shock to see this girl come up from behind my friend and glomp her. She was definitely off-put by the experience, and while it far from ruined her first convention, it's definitely something that didn't like.

I'm fine with hugs -- I've asked cosplayers for hugs, and I'm fine with giving them when people ask me for them. There's nothing wrong with asking, but doing it without permission from the cosplayer is something else entirely.

In light of that, I'd certainly like to see more strict rules about glomping, as well. Something even more than just a stern warning, seeing as how it's bordering on assault, in my opinion. Luckily, my friend wasn't injured, not any of her things broken, but I know this isn't always the case.
ACen 2013 - Pharaoh Atem
ACen 2011, 2012 - Summoner Yuna, Sailor Yuna
ACen 2009, 2010 - Summoner Yuna
ACen 2008 - Summoner Yuna, Eternal Sailor Jupiter, Kino Makoto (Schoolgirl)
ACen 2007 - Original character (Enika)
ACen 2006 - Eternal Sailor Jupiter
ACen 2005 - Original character (Jakoku)

#58 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Any kind of invasion of personal space without permission is not good. My husband cosplayed as Ezio from Assassin's Creed and had quite a few people come up behind him and pretend "assassinate him" very roughly. Now, he has had five surgery's done on his back (in the same spot) and any sort of rough brushing can throw him into a spasm. To me, it was incredibly rude and thoughtless. In my opinion if you do not know the person, nor have permission to, do not touch them.
2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#59 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostSarahlicious, on 29 April 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Any kind of invasion of personal space without permission is not good. My husband cosplayed as Ezio from Assassin's Creed and had quite a few people come up behind him and pretend "assassinate him" very roughly. Now, he has had five surgery's done on his back (in the same spot) and any sort of rough brushing can throw him into a spasm. To me, it was incredibly rude and thoughtless. In my opinion if you do not know the person, nor have permission to, do not touch them.

Well touching them is a bit different from man-handling them from behind. ;D

#60 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Touching is touching, regardless of the roughness.
2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users