• This topic is locked

Glomping. Make it a no-no. i actually fear for my well being

#1 User is offline   JawdyBawdy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19848

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

now, before i start this, i know that this would be difficult to do. just.. hear me out.

i'm fine with hugs. i'm fine with enthusiasm and excitement. what i'm not fine with is being roughed up and injured via an unexpected tackle from a fellow con-goer.
as a cosplayer, i am well aware of the "dangers" that come with it. people randomly taking my props. if they don't break it and give it back, i'm fine. people touching me without asking. i'm small and come off as adorable; people pat me on the head all the time, that's fine. people taking pictures of me while i'm trying to relax and actually eat at a convention (that's a bit unheard of, right?). eh, whatever. people wanting to hug me or glomp me without any type of warning.. this is my problem.

now, i've tried being patient. Acen 2011 was my fourth year, so my patience is running out. i've brought this up in other threads here, but i've gotten many responses saying i'm being a prude or the glompers are just overly excited. the prude comments have been ignored, but i can't accept the "they're excited" excuse. cons make me excited, but i'm not going around tackling random cosplayers.

so, as stated before, i am small. i'm barely 5'3" and i'm fragile as hell. it's like i'm made of porcelain and sugar! a light punch on the arm will leave a bruise for weeks. i got hit in the head one day in gym class and i ended up with a concussion. every bone i've broken was from falling/being pushed. can you understand why being glomped actually scares me?

i've been glomped in the past. i did not enjoy it. one glomp literally knocked me to the ground and i had bruises and aches everywhere. another glomp knocked my very nice camera out of my hands and onto the floor, obviously breaking my camera. no, there wasn't any IRT around. no, i didn't have a cellphone to call the IRT hotline number thing. i was left with a broken camera that was beyond repair and the glomper laughed about it and said "oops". these are just two of the cases, sadly.

the thing is, i'm not sure what can be done to fix this. ban glomping like they banned signs? revoke badges for injuring a fellow con-goer? everyone has been talking about how someone is going to get seriously hurt one year; it could very well be me. i don't want that. acen doesn't want that.

next year, i'm making a sign saying "if you glomp me, imma punch you in the face" if something isn't done. i'm tired of being scared to cosplay and attend acen as the numbers of attendees grow.

advice? help? anything! D:

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Teemo (League of Legends)
Slurper (Silent Hill)

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you bad experiences. Though I have not been glomped myself, I totally understand where you are coming from. As a girl who's 5'2" I totally getcha. I think it should be not allowed, or if people don't like that then at least ASK the person "oh i love your cosplay, can I glomp you?" and then you'll at least be expecting being tackle hugged and can put down your stuff. But I agree--IRT should watch out for it too, because people DO get hurt from glomping. I had a friend who stupidly glomped a cosplayer nearly knocking him over and he go REALLY ticked at her. It wasn't pretty. I don't think you can perfectly BAN it because people do get around the rules, but it at least could be controlled maybe? I'm not an official so I wouldn't know but I do agree with you, for sure.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#3 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

I never been glomp, then again Im a guy and this year was my first cosplay. My cosplay also involved bodypaint so people that hug me had to be very careful. xD

I say next year make a body suit full of spikes and cover yourself in body paint. >=3
Or maybe learn some tai-chi and when they get close blast them away with push hands?

Jokes aside The biggest problem is that most of the people doing it are inconsiderate to begin with and childish in behavior. Everybody knows that when you glomp somebody you might both fall and someone will get hurt or something is gonna get broken. Unless you actually know the person you shouldnt go running into them, glomping them or tackling them. People need to think beffore they act and lots of crazy fans out there seem to lack that ability.

Hopefuly next year something like this doesnt happen to me because I believe an eye for an eye and .... well you get what I mean. If some people only learn their lessons when they get burn then just call me fire. Not saying I will hurt anybody but if you tackle me that means I can tackle you back right?
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#4 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

Were you the same individual looking for a bodyguard?

#5 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

Glomping SHOULD be against the rules. Period. Many people see it as a form of physical assault.
Rawr. ♥

#6 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

IA. While I'm not as fragile I am small too (5'4") and I have such a low center of gravity I'm easy to topple over. And when some 200 pound weeboo falls ontop of anyone it's going to hurt fragile or not.

I don't think Acen is liable for inguries, but they still need to look after their attendees. If signs aren't allowed bexuase they're a form of solication then gloomping someone should be banned because it can be seen as assault if someone gets hurt.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#7 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

You aren't a prude. I'm with you on this, though I doubt they can ban glomping. Even if they try, it'll still happen. Isn't there some kind of rule about this anyway? Maybe we can have reminder bubbles throughout the ACen program book and on the registration page, etc, if they aren't already there. Of course, I wouldn't suggest to react with violence (I know you were joking), but maybe a public scolding to prevent that person from doing it again (refrain from profanities). That's what I'd do. PS, that's crap about your camera!!! I would have flipped!

What is the point of glomping anyway? Like you've said, you can get hurt, get your precious things broken, get things stolen, and possibly even get groped. Ask for a hug? Maybe, if you aren't creepy or smelly. Fanboy/girl squealing and jumping up and down? Go for it!

Unless I give permission, stay the H out of my bubble, stangers!

#8 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

I see no reason as to why Acen couldn't put "no glomping without consent from both parties" (followed by a short blurb about how glomping can be seen as assault, injure a person, etc) as a rule in the booklet. Are people going to break that rule? Yes. Just like some people break EVERY rule (including the rule about not having signs saying "free hugs" - I saw at least 5). Doesn't mean it shouldn't be a rule, though.
Rawr. ♥

#9 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

I know that from previous posts from the Glomp Team, that they need to ask the glompee if it is okay with them. Which is a very good common courtesy as some people do not like being touched. About those who get injured, that's what keeps us EMRT in business, though I'd prefer it to be from medical emergencies instead of victims of unannounced glomps. As for it being assault, yes it is considered assault AND battery.

As for me, I rarely glomp anyone since my 210 pound frame can knock over a good majority of my victims. The only ones I really do this to are friends that I know are expecting me to do so, and I do it in a very controlled fashion where I still am able to hold both of us up if they would proceed to fall. Concrete floors, even though its carpeted, still hurts if you hit that the wrong way. So my glomping doesn't consist of a full body weight jump, just acted in that way because, well as I stated above, I could take down a good number of people with my size.

Remember glompers, if the person says no, it means no, if you negotiate to a hug that's fine. If they say no to that then leave it be. Don't give glomping a bad reputation :)
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#10 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

View Postdavebb, on 21 June 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

About those who get injured, that's what keeps us EMRT in business, though I'd prefer it to be from medical emergencies instead of victims of unannounced glomps. As for it being assault, yes it is considered assault AND battery.

Wait...so you're saying you need injured glompees to keep EMRT in business? LOL. J/K.

If it is indeed considered assault and battery, wouldn't having at least one or two sentences about it under the rules be a good idea? Too many people consider glomping to be totally okay, welcomed by EVERY anime fan, and a traditional part of conventions. They just don't get it.

This post has been edited by Kokoro: 21 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Rawr. ♥

#11 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

When in doubt carry a taser, stun gun, or a good ol cattle prod. One or two glompers get zapped then the rest might just get the hint.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#12 User is offline   kitsune red 

• ADA Compliance
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 36791

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

There is no question that Glomping is an assault and should not be permitted. If more people took a serious stand on such issues instead or making excuses for the glomper it would be easier to change the tendency to dismiss the matter. In my mind it is similar to the way people say ah give him a break he's drunk. We are finally coming to see how lame an excuse that is.
We must stop looking the other way on questions of this nature. It is very close to the attitude that rape is really the women's fault. If she had dress differently, if she had not encouraged it, it wouldn't have happened.
One possible path for small females to follow is study martial arts or take a good self defense class. Then follow through if someone glomps you. Do not ignor the matter call IRT and consider pressing charges if need be.

There is no question that Glomping is an assault and should not be permitted. If more people took a serious stand on such issues instead or making excuses for the glomper it would be easier to change the tendency to dismiss the matter. In my mind it is similar to the way people say ah give him a break he's drunk. We are finally coming to see how lame an excuse that is.
We must stop looking the other way on questions of this nature. It is very close to the attitude that rape is really the women's fault. If she had dress differently, if she had not encouraged it, it wouldn't have happened.
One possible path for small females to follow is study martial arts or take a good self defense class. Then follow through if someone glomps you. Do not ignor the matter call IRT and consider pressing charges if need be.

#13 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

View Postrondo, on 21 June 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

No that was C2Queen.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

#14 User is offline   JawdyBawdy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

View Postrondo, on 21 June 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

no, that wasn't me.
but, if something isn't done next year and i get roughed up again... i'm going to find one!

View Posttatterpillar, on 21 June 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

You aren't a prude. I'm with you on this, though I doubt they can ban glomping. Even if they try, it'll still happen. Isn't there some kind of rule about this anyway? Maybe we can have reminder bubbles throughout the ACen program book and on the registration page, etc, if they aren't already there. Of course, I wouldn't suggest to react with violence (I know you were joking), but maybe a public scolding to prevent that person from doing it again (refrain from profanities). That's what I'd do. PS, that's crap about your camera!!! I would have flipped!

that's the thing... i have no idea what could be done to stop this!
i'm seriously scared to cosplay and i've only cosplayed obscure characters.
god forbid i cosplay a well known character.. i'd die!

and i did flip about my camera. they just laughed about it and told me to get a new one..
sorry, not everyone is made of money

I know that from previous posts from the Glomp Team, that they need to ask the glompee if it is okay with them. Which is a very good common courtesy as some people do not like being touched. About those who get injured, that's what keeps us EMRT in business, though I'd prefer it to be from medical emergencies instead of victims of unannounced glomps. As for it being assault, yes it is considered assault AND battery.

As for me, I rarely glomp anyone since my 210 pound frame can knock over a good majority of my victims. The only ones I really do this to are friends that I know are expecting me to do so, and I do it in a very controlled fashion where I still am able to hold both of us up if they would proceed to fall. Concrete floors, even though its carpeted, still hurts if you hit that the wrong way. So my glomping doesn't consist of a full body weight jump, just acted in that way because, well as I stated above, I could take down a good number of people with my size.

Remember glompers, if the person says no, it means no, if you negotiate to a hug that's fine. If they say no to that then leave it be. Don't give glomping a bad reputation :)

it's not even the "glompee code of ethics" that says you should ask before touching someone in ANY way.
it's called having manners, which people really lack now a days.
now, i applaud you for being one of the few that asks before glomping. but, you're a rare breed.
if people asked, i wouldn't be making this thread in hopes to get glomping banned or something.

... or your EMRT crew will have some random con-goer crying to you that i straight up punched them in the face after they tackled me
i wish i was joking, but i'm fed up with being roughed up via tackling from random strangers
that breaking of my camera was the last straw

View Postkitsune red, on 21 June 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

like i said, i've brought this problem up multiple times. other people really don't see glomping as a problem.
but, they'll see it as a problem the year i get tackled and break a body part.
and, i've been given the "rape victim" reply. "then don't cosplay!"
... there's no way i'm giving up a HUGE part of a convention just because other people don't care about the well being of other people

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Slurper (Silent Hill)

#15 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

JawdyBawdy said:

it's not even the "glompee code of ethics" that says you should ask before touching someone in ANY way.
it's called having manners, which people really lack now a days.
now, i applaud you for being one of the few that asks before glomping. but, you're a rare breed.
if people asked, i wouldn't be making this thread in hopes to get glomping banned or something.

... or your EMRT crew will have some random con-goer crying to you that i straight up punched them in the face after they tackled me i wish i was joking, but i'm fed up with being roughed up via tackling from random strangers
that breaking of my camera was the last straw

I do agree that some of the people that are doing it will probably not stop unless they get hurt themselfs and even then they might not stop.

Unfortunetly im pretty sure most if not all the glompers tend to be girls so I couldnt punch them but I can tackle them back if the piss me off.

Maybe we should start ugly rummors for next year about how people got hurt and how a girl got her nose broken because a cosplayer she glomped got mad and punch her square in the face. xD

This post has been edited by Keans: 21 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

#16 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hey JawdyBawdy love your avatar.

Ok serious time: Did you get the person who broke your camera badge name down? And report them to IRT because they were breaking the law if they broke your camera without reimbursing you. If this happened at Acen 2011.

I remember I seen your post and personally I don't agree with glomping without asking because it's a form of assault. Just like the issue with taking pictures without asking someone, you should ask before you hug/touch/glomp someone period.

But I don't agree that you should hit the person if they glomp you. That's also a form of assault and you would be in the wrong, even if they started it.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 21 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#17 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

View PostKeans, on 21 June 2011 - 05:19 PM, said:

No that was C2Queen.

Yeah, sounded vaguely familiar from the onset but got notified of the differences later.

#18 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 20 June 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you bad experiences. Though I have not been glomped myself, I totally understand where you are coming from. As a girl who's 5'2" I totally getcha. I think it should be not allowed, or if people don't like that then at least ASK the person "oh i love your cosplay, can I glomp you?" and then you'll at least be expecting being tackle hugged and can put down your stuff. But I agree--IRT should watch out for it too, because people DO get hurt from glomping. I had a friend who stupidly glomped a cosplayer nearly knocking him over and he go REALLY ticked at her. It wasn't pretty. I don't think you can perfectly BAN it because people do get around the rules, but it at least could be controlled maybe? I'm not an official so I wouldn't know but I do agree with you, for sure.

Too bad. I will glomp you. :]

Nobody got anywhere with asking. :D *carries a big stick*

View Postkitsune red, on 21 June 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

I get where you're coming from, but when did we become a nation of wusses? -.- If someone hurts you in a glomp, then kick their arse. :D Afterwards you can have a nice lager and a packet of crisps and watch cricket.
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#19 User is offline   JawdyBawdy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostKeans, on 21 June 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

I do agree that some of the people that are doing it will probably not stop unless they get hurt themselfs and even then they might not stop.

Unfortunetly im pretty sure most if not all the glompers tend to be girls so I couldnt punch them but I can tackle them back if the piss me off.

Maybe we should start ugly rummors for next year about how people got hurt and how a girl got her nose broken because a cosplayer she glomped got mad and punch her square in the face. xD

actually, the glomper that knocked me flat on my arse was a guy. a very very tall guy that was pretty built.
but, i don't think a rumor would get around very well at a con of 23k+ people orz

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 21 June 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

Hey JawdyBawdy love your avatar.

Ok serious time: Did you get the person who broke your camera badge name down? And report them to IRT because they were breaking the law if they broke your camera without reimbursing you. If this happened at Acen 2011.

I remember I seen your post and personally I don't agree with glomping without asking because it's a form of assault. Just like the issue with taking pictures without asking someone, you should ask before you hug/touch/glomp someone period.

But I don't agree that you should hit the person if they glomp you. That's also a form of assault and you would be in the wrong, even if they started it.

the camera breaking did not happen at acen 2011. my new camera survived this acen, thankfully.
even back when it happened, i was too emotional and upset to get a badge name or anything. (though, i don't have much faith in the badge name route..)
and, i know punching someone for attacking me via glomp isn't the way to go. i don't like hitting people. i swear i'm not as violent as a sound.
but, it they don't have the courtesy to not attack me, should i really have the courtesy to not punch them in the face?
two wrongs may not make a right, but it'd sure make me feel better
/shot

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Slurper (Silent Hill)

#20 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostJawdyBawdy, on 22 June 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

actually, the glomper that knocked me flat on my arse was a guy. a very very tall guy that was pretty built.
but, i don't think a rumor would get around very well at a con of 23k+ people orz

the camera breaking did not happen at acen 2011. my new camera survived this acen, thankfully.
even back when it happened, i was too emotional and upset to get a badge name or anything. (though, i don't have much faith in the badge name route..)
and, i know punching someone for attacking me via glomp isn't the way to go. i don't like hitting people. i swear i'm not as violent as a sound.
but, it they don't have the courtesy to not attack me, should i really have the courtesy to not punch them in the face?
two wrongs may not make a right, but it'd sure make me feel better
/shot

The reason why I say that is because it's not worth going to jail over someone glomping or assaulting you. If you punch someone and the person decides to call security or the police you might end up at jail or both of you. Or worse, they might lie and say that they didn't do anything and you would be in the fault because they might not caught them glomping you, but they sure caught you hitting them in the face, along with the marks. Not only that but if the person is really an A hole they could sue you and besides some minor evidence (unless you had doctor reports and showing evidence of the person glomping/touching you,) they would win the case.

Now is all of that worth it? No.

I learned a long time ago and still trying to practice it; because someone is an A hole and stupid doesn't mean you go down to their level or think they will magically change because you do or will.

Sorry about your camera again. If it happens again remember to get their name, appearance, etc. everything about the person and call IRT/security if you can right at that moment. If they run report it right away, don't delay. That way it's more in your favor.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#21 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 22 June 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

If you punch someone and the person decides to call security or the police you might end up at jail or both of you.

OBJECTION!!!

I would call it pro-active self defense. =)

You used the minimum requierd force to prevent further glomping from the glomper as you took it as a threat to your safety and the safty of other cosplayers the glomper might have assulted.

That would be my defense. Most security people wont do anything against you if the other person assulted you first espeicaly being a first offense. They might take you up to the office and give you a slap on the wrist and the "next time just call us speech" but that is about it. It takes time to go and write a report, I doubt the glomper will want to seriously take the time away from the con just to be jerk.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

#22 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Coming from someone who's four feet eleven inches I feel your pain my friend. I have only been glomped on by my friends as I've been in a group, and I've noticed that when you're with friends you're less likely to be glomped. Might I suggest also being in a group or at least with another person at the time? Could help. And no punching please, if the person is bigger then you and hits back then you could be really screwed. I am sorry about your camera, I would have hounded the person until I got his or her name and then some.

As for what Acen can do, maybe four stickers in the book next year, one for the front and back of people that chose to use it. "Please ask before you Glomp me." and "Please do not Glomp or Touch me!" Might help people know thst if they do try you'll be willing to kick them where the sun don't shine.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#23 User is offline   Haiiro 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 14662

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

View PostKeans, on 21 June 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

I would absolutely be cool with that rumor mill a-churnin'.

Wow, JawdyBawdy. I'm so sorry you've had these experiences. I've never been a staffer sadly, just a regular congoer, but if there's anything I can do, I want to help others enjoy their time at ACen as I've been lucky enough to these past 6 years.

I can certainly understand your concerns. While I know I'm not as small as many who've posted here (being 5 ft. 4) I'm skinny enough that I won't go anywhere on my own anymore since I've gotten shoved and crowd-pushed into areas I didn't want to go. My group usually includes at least one guy friend, so I tend to stick with him, plus our group even holds hands in really choked places of the con to keep from getting knocked over or seperated.

If you have any friends who are on the taller end of the spectrum, or friends who just look intimidating, I'd recommend keeping them closeby. And while I wouldn't condone violence on a regular basis, if someone assaults you again, as a fellow girl, I can say I'd deck them regardless of gender or age.
Destruction of property and physical harm are never things that should be apart of a convenion experience.

Sad to say, but in this situation where you've already tried peaceful negotiations, my belief is, "when push comes to shove, shove back."
Cosplays:
Kazu - .Hack (Finished, in-use)
Kayuki Hirasaka "Black Swan" - The Record of a Fallen Vampire (95% finished, in-use)
Celty Sturluson - Durarara!! (0% finished)
Tsukasa Amou (Israfel ver.) - Aquarian Age: Juvenile Orion (0% finished)
Agito Wanijima - Air Gear (0% finished)

"I was wise enough to never grow up while fooling most people into believing I had." -Margaret Mead

#24 User is offline   Ramza Beoulve 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2974

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostHaiiro, on 01 August 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

I would absolutely be cool with that rumor mill a-churnin'.

Wow, JawdyBawdy. I'm so sorry you've had these experiences. I've never been a staffer sadly, just a regular congoer, but if there's anything I can do, I want to help others enjoy their time at ACen as I've been lucky enough to these past 6 years.

I can certainly understand your concerns. While I know I'm not as small as many who've posted here (being 5 ft. 4) I'm skinny enough that I won't go anywhere on my own anymore since I've gotten shoved and crowd-pushed into areas I didn't want to go. My group usually includes at least one guy friend, so I tend to stick with him, plus our group even holds hands in really choked places of the con to keep from getting knocked over or seperated.

If you have any friends who are on the taller end of the spectrum, or friends who just look intimidating, I'd recommend keeping them closeby. And while I wouldn't condone violence on a regular basis, if someone assaults you again, as a fellow girl, I can say I'd deck them regardless of gender or age.
Destruction of property and physical harm are never things that should be apart of a convenion experience.

Sad to say, but in this situation where you've already tried peaceful negotiations, my belief is, "when push comes to shove, shove back."

DECK ME! *Glomp-galumphs* >:D
Mom 2/5/1962-7/22/2006 <3
-Siempre en nuestras corazones-

Always remember the longer you live the sooner you'll bloody well die!

#25 User is offline   Aiko-Chan12 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59837

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostJawdyBawdy, on 20 June 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

now, before i start this, i know that this would be difficult to do. just.. hear me out.

i'm fine with hugs. i'm fine with enthusiasm and excitement. what i'm not fine with is being roughed up and injured via an unexpected tackle from a fellow con-goer.
as a cosplayer, i am well aware of the "dangers" that come with it. people randomly taking my props. if they don't break it and give it back, i'm fine. people touching me without asking. i'm small and come off as adorable; people pat me on the head all the time, that's fine. people taking pictures of me while i'm trying to relax and actually eat at a convention (that's a bit unheard of, right?). eh, whatever. people wanting to hug me or glomp me without any type of warning.. this is my problem.

now, i've tried being patient. Acen 2011 was my fourth year, so my patience is running out. i've brought this up in other threads here, but i've gotten many responses saying i'm being a prude or the glompers are just overly excited. the prude comments have been ignored, but i can't accept the "they're excited" excuse. cons make me excited, but i'm not going around tackling random cosplayers.

so, as stated before, i am small. i'm barely 5'3" and i'm fragile as hell. it's like i'm made of porcelain and sugar! a light punch on the arm will leave a bruise for weeks. i got hit in the head one day in gym class and i ended up with a concussion. every bone i've broken was from falling/being pushed. can you understand why being glomped actually scares me?

i've been glomped in the past. i did not enjoy it. one glomp literally knocked me to the ground and i had bruises and aches everywhere. another glomp knocked my very nice camera out of my hands and onto the floor, obviously breaking my camera. no, there wasn't any IRT around. no, i didn't have a cellphone to call the IRT hotline number thing. i was left with a broken camera that was beyond repair and the glomper laughed about it and said "oops". these are just two of the cases, sadly.

the thing is, i'm not sure what can be done to fix this. ban glomping like they banned signs? revoke badges for injuring a fellow con-goer? everyone has been talking about how someone is going to get seriously hurt one year; it could very well be me. i don't want that. acen doesn't want that.

next year, i'm making a sign saying "if you glomp me, imma punch you in the face" if something isn't done. i'm tired of being scared to cosplay and attend acen as the numbers of attendees grow.

advice? help? anything! D:

Honestly, we have the same problem at Youmacon. It's a problem at all cons O_O i'd just hold up a sign that says NO GLOMPING

Catch me at these cons!
ACen 2011!
Youmacon 2011!
OhayoCon 2012!
^_^ I likes making new friends!!
Add me as a friend on here or Facebook!
>.< I'ma acen newbie!!

#26 User is offline   Sir Gibby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 26318

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

View PostAiko-Chan12, on 04 August 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Honestly, we have the same problem at Youmacon. It's a problem at all cons O_O i'd just hold up a sign that says NO GLOMPING

"Glomp me and I will break your face"

That being said, I've been glomped before. It was nice.
My life is watching anime, playing video games, and eating Taco Bell with reckless abandonment with my lady!

My cosplays: Raccoon City Police Officer, S.T.A.R.S. officer, Chris Redfield, Dr. Ray Stantz, 10th Doctor, 11th Doctor

Check out My Amazon Kindle Stories, My Writing Blog, and my comic book series

#27 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

Suggestions:

Make a sign
Voice that you don't want to be glomped or otherwise. Don't shrug it off
If you are special needs have something on your badge.

Con rough housing is so common that its a norm and its hard to tell the difference between friends and associates goofing off and someone actually hurt or uncomfortable so be vocal about it. Tell IRT if they glomp you to that point.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#28 User is offline   Inkwell09 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60472

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

I was a glomper last year, but not a careless one. I was wearing heels anyway, so I couldn't move very quickly. (I was Grell Sutcliffe.) I didn't have any incidents with my "glomp-ees" getting injured or upset, but I think there should be a "glomping code of conduct."
(here's a rough idea) GLOMPERS:
~you must announce in someway that you are coming towards someone. (I always called out "Sebastian" and made sure they saw me before I started moving in.)Ambush glomps can cause the most damage.
~You must give the other person time to brace themselves, if they are not carrying heavy props or in a fragile costume. (ie, don't start running* unless they've stopped and can easily see you coming towards them.)
~If they are carrying props, don't even attempt the glomp. Just walk up with you arms out saying "hug?" (or something to that effect. This tactic is perfect for Hetalia cosplayers who are carrying flags).
*~If you are going to run towards someone, make sure they are BIGGER THAN YOU. Don't glomp someone who is shorter and weighs less, it's risky, and just not worth it. (I only used the running start to attack male Sebastians.)
*~Also, if you are going to run to someone, don't run further than 7-8 feet MAX. One, it's not the smartest idea to run in a crowded area; two, you want to be able to slow down before impact to reduce the shock; three, you're not competing for the distance jump, so there's no point in backing up that far anyway. (and make sure you have a CLEAR path to the person AND that they aren't posing for a photograph. Try to stay to the side of a crowd if you are going to do this, and yell out "excuse me please!" if you need to. People may still be annoyed, but not so much if you just plow through them without any warning.)
(Last thing, i promise)
~*If you are still bent on running to someone, and they are smaller than you, don't even run, just power walk and pick up your feet a little. (Again, there's no point in running in a crowded room where you could accidentally run into someone around a corner (etc.) and cause them harm. (it sounds super lame, but it's polite.) And in any case with running, don't go into an all out sprint. Pick up a little speed (like jogging), but start to slow down at least 3 feet before impact! You don't want to squish them do you? (it's hard to hug a pancake...)And of course, in all cases, follow the first 'rule;' in some way or another, let the person know you are moving towards them, and make sure they are prepared and braced for you to glomp them. That's just courtesy, and the element of suprise isn't so great for the people on the recieving end sometimes.

I was victim to one running glomp last year. the kid attacked me from about 20 feet away, and it was a full on run the whole time. The kid DID give notice that he was coming for me, but I couldn't brace myself in time, so i stumbled back about 5 feet after the kid plowed into me. (and after that, the kid decided it was a great idea to swing me back and forth while hugging me. [not pleasant when you're recovering from impact.]) In truth, I wouldn't have minded the glomp if I had been better prepared and the kid didn't have a 20 foot headstart...

not sure if this helps, but I tried :)

(also, in regards to me, I'm about 5'7" and about 135, but I do topple easily [very clumsy], and I have a friend who is only 5'00" and 110 lbs...so I've seen how glomping can be dangerous for someone who is more "petite." She was Near our first ACEN, and she was getting attacked quite a bit. She was never hurt, but she got pretty annoyed after a while. And I've also been ambush glomped by a group of cosplayers back in 2010. They didn't run at me, but I got sucked into a group of about six or seven people that kept moving, and dragged me with them.) (But, at the same time, I think if "glomping" is done with some restrictions, and common courtesy in mind, it can be much less harmful, and more fun, like it's intended to be.)

This post has been edited by Inkwell09: 05 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

[font="Book Antiqua"] ACen 2014 Cosplays
--Gintoki (Gintama)****MAYBE
--Rin (Free!)
--Mink (DMMD)
--SURPRISE NOSTALGIC COSPLAY

#29 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

As much as signs might help deter glomping (there are those who may still see that as a target, or laugh it off), they aren't allowed unless they fit with a character's canon.

The best thing to do is to keep vigilant, and if possible, move in a group. The more eyes you have to spot potential glompers, the better. And if it becomes a problem, let IRT know.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#30 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 05 August 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

As much as signs might help deter glomping (there are those who may still see that as a target, or laugh it off), they aren't allowed unless they fit with a character's canon.

The best thing to do is to keep vigilant, and if possible, move in a group. The more eyes you have to spot potential glompers, the better. And if it becomes a problem, let IRT know.

Yeah I keep forgetting that there is a no sign policy, even though tons of people had them for the rapture and other silly means. I can expect more since it will be the 'end of the world' in 2012.

Just remember to have a cool head about it. I wasn't glomped but my butt was pinched last year. I was more shocked if anything but the only thing I did was warn other cosplayers about it.

Don't punch someone if they glomp or tackle you. Don't curse them out either. Its hard to do, but tell them in a reasonable manner about it and if they still don't care or injure you report them.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users